A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts
  
 
»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Xbox on Windows 10

Author Topic: Xbox on Windows 10 (27 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Juzo
Joined: Jul 1, 2014

Just delete my account really


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 03:43 PM    Msg. 1 of 27       
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/windows-10
With Xbox on Windows 10, you’ll have more ways to connect and play, wherever you go. Your games, your friends, your achievements, and more follow you across Xbox One and Windows 10 devices. Xbox Live is built into Windows 10, giving you access to the greatest gaming community in the world, no matter where you are.
The link and description pretty much explains itself.


austen1000
Joined: Sep 4, 2012


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 03:54 PM    Msg. 2 of 27       
Well, the part about streaming Xbox One games to Windows 10 ruined my day.


Masters1337
Joined: Mar 5, 2006

halonaminator's unfortunate idol


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 04:11 PM    Msg. 3 of 27       
It's still going to have native support for games. We'll probably see MCC eventually on PC, but you know it has to work on Xbox first before they can do anything.


P3
Joined: Dec 2, 2011


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 04:20 PM    Msg. 4 of 27       


austen1000
Joined: Sep 4, 2012


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 04:28 PM    Msg. 5 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
It's still going to have native support for games. We'll probably see MCC eventually on PC, but you know it has to work on Xbox first before they can do anything.


Well, I knew that it would still have native support for games, but, to me, why would they bother porting Xbox Halo games if they can simply be streamed?
Edited by austen1000 on Jan 21, 2015 at 04:30 PM


OrangeJuice
Joined: Jan 29, 2009

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 04:39 PM    Msg. 6 of 27       
No it won't. This is the same topic we had like two years ago when Windows 8.1 came out.

Quote:
Quote:
It's still going to have native support for games. We'll probably see MCC eventually on PC, but you know it has to work on Xbox first before they can do anything.


austen1000
Joined: Sep 4, 2012


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 04:56 PM    Msg. 7 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
It's still going to have native support for games. We'll probably see MCC eventually on PC, but you know it has to work on Xbox first before they can do anything.


Just to be clear, when you say "native" support, do you mean support for PC games or natively being able to run Xbox games? Because I thought you meant the former.
Edited by austen1000 on Jan 21, 2015 at 04:57 PM


Spartan314
Joined: Aug 21, 2010

Former biped rigger & FP animator


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 05:10 PM    Msg. 8 of 27       
The real question is, SHOULD we upgrade to 10?


sshers4
Joined: Apr 28, 2013


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 05:23 PM    Msg. 9 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
The real question is, SHOULD we upgrade to 10?



You do realize that you will need xbox one to stream on windows 10.


fenderjaguar
Joined: Jan 21, 2015


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 05:27 PM    Msg. 10 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: FrostyCyphre

You know what's better than that? Windows 10 for the first year, is free to upgrade if you have Windows 7 or 8.1.


See, to me, it isn't clear whether that means we can use windows 10 for a year before it deactivates and we then have to pay? Or do they mean we can upgrade only for a year? What if we want to clean install win 10 after 4 years, will we be able to simply install 7/8/8.1 then 'upgrade' again? Sounds like this will be a real headache...


P3
Joined: Dec 2, 2011


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 05:28 PM    Msg. 11 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: sshers4
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
The real question is, SHOULD we upgrade to 10?



You do realize that you will need xbox one to stream on windows 10.


Are you sure...? >.>


fenderjaguar
Joined: Jan 21, 2015


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 05:32 PM    Msg. 12 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: P3Are you sure...? >.>


Yes, it is just like nvidia shield, where you need proper gaming PC to stream to it.


BKTiel
Joined: Mar 18, 2014

strong independent bird needs no cage


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 05:39 PM    Msg. 13 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: fenderjaguar
Quote: --- Original message by: FrostyCyphre

You know what's better than that? Windows 10 for the first year, is free to upgrade if you have Windows 7 or 8.1.


See, to me, it isn't clear whether that means we can use windows 10 for a year before it deactivates and we then have to pay? Or do they mean we can upgrade only for a year? What if we want to clean install win 10 after 4 years, will we be able to simply install 7/8/8.1 then 'upgrade' again? Sounds like this will be a real headache...


Quote: The company sees Windows as a service rather than a product, Terry Myerson explains.


2spooky


austen1000
Joined: Sep 4, 2012


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 05:40 PM    Msg. 14 of 27       
Edit: Nevermind, wasn't the most well-informed post
Edited by austen1000 on Jan 21, 2015 at 05:49 PM


BKTiel
Joined: Mar 18, 2014

strong independent bird needs no cage


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 05:42 PM    Msg. 15 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: austen1000
Honestly, after looking around some. Xbox streaming is the least of my concerns. If the rumors are to be believed, Windows might go to a subscription-based model. That has me really worried.


Learn linux
get nerdy babes



ok, I lied, no babes
but totally nerds


austen1000
Joined: Sep 4, 2012


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 05:44 PM    Msg. 16 of 27       
Actually, forget what I said. Microsoft said it would not be subscription-based;

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/


austen1000
Joined: Sep 4, 2012


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 05:48 PM    Msg. 17 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Master
Calm your tits, it's just a promotion like when they sold W8 for $15 if you upgraded from W7. My license hasn't expired since then, so I guess this is going to be the same. (BTW it was by far the best promotion I've ever seen, 3 W8 licenses upgradeable for free to W8.1, W8.1U1 and W10, I basically saved $600)


When I posted what I said, I was reading the GOG.com forums, plus alot of articles on the subject all over the internet. Reminded me why I stayed away from most internet activity for a while. My bad.
Edited by austen1000 on Jan 21, 2015 at 05:51 PM


greg079
Joined: Apr 1, 2013

channeling my inner april fool


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 06:49 PM    Msg. 18 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: sshers4
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
The real question is, SHOULD we upgrade to 10?



You do realize that you will need xbox one to stream on windows 10.

thats [expletive] dumb! why would anyone (other than masters) buy a gaming pc to play at console quality... (let alone buy a console for gaming)?


BKTiel
Joined: Mar 18, 2014

strong independent bird needs no cage


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 07:04 PM    Msg. 19 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: greg079
(let alone buy a console for gaming)?



...because that's what they're for?


OrangeJuice
Joined: Jan 29, 2009

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 08:55 PM    Msg. 20 of 27       
Because consoles don't have to put any of its code through any sort of Hardware Abstraction Layer or other PC-oriented mumbo-jumbo, the xbox 360 was able to pull off millions more draw calls than any PC could at the time.

Yes you want console quality: You just don't want to cram that console quality onto inferior amounts of RAM and vRam ^_^
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jan 21, 2015 at 08:56 PM


MatthewDratt
Joined: Sep 11, 2010

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 09:28 PM    Msg. 21 of 27       
just download more ram


Spartan314
Joined: Aug 21, 2010

Former biped rigger & FP animator


Posted: Jan 21, 2015 09:46 PM    Msg. 22 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
just download more ram

This is the browser for you. Download moar ram
http://ultronbrowser.info/


EtchyaSketch
Joined: Apr 11, 2014

S P I N


Posted: Jan 22, 2015 12:48 AM    Msg. 23 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
The real question is, SHOULD we upgrade to 10?

I think if you have the hardware to take advantage of the benefits like DX12 , it's honestly a pretty slick deal.


Spartan314
Joined: Aug 21, 2010

Former biped rigger & FP animator


Posted: Jan 22, 2015 03:55 AM    Msg. 24 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
The real question is, SHOULD we upgrade to 10?

I think if you have the hardware to take advantage of the benefits like DX12 , it's honestly a pretty slick deal.

I've got a 740M (2 Gbs GPU mem), so I'm thinking DX12 support might be a stretch. :(


fenderjaguar
Joined: Jan 21, 2015


Posted: Jan 22, 2015 02:29 PM    Msg. 25 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
I've got a 740M (2 Gbs GPU mem), so I'm thinking DX12 support might be a stretch. :(


Well it's a pretty weak GPU, but it will definitely support DX12, as they've already said everything post fermi will support it. DX12 is more about reducing CPU driver overhead etc anway...


MatthewDratt
Joined: Sep 11, 2010

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com


Posted: Jan 22, 2015 03:09 PM    Msg. 26 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: FrostyCyphre

Quote: --- Original message by: fenderjaguar
See, to me, it isn't clear whether that means we can use windows 10 for a year before it deactivates and we then have to pay? Or do they mean we can upgrade only for a year? What if we want to clean install win 10 after 4 years, will we be able to simply install 7/8/8.1 then 'upgrade' again? Sounds like this will be a real headache...

I'm a bit skeptical about it too, but here's what I know, they'll give you a Windows 10 product key that will have no deactivation date if you upgrade from Win 7/8.1 in the first year of Win 10's release. Whether we can use the key in a clean install at anytime after the first year period expires is unknown.


What about if I happen to have a... not legitimate version of W7?


ELVEVERX
Joined: Oct 5, 2012

For the great journey


Posted: Jan 23, 2015 10:02 AM    Msg. 27 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
Quote: --- Original message by: FrostyCyphre

Quote: --- Original message by: fenderjaguar
See, to me, it isn't clear whether that means we can use windows 10 for a year before it deactivates and we then have to pay? Or do they mean we can upgrade only for a year? What if we want to clean install win 10 after 4 years, will we be able to simply install 7/8/8.1 then 'upgrade' again? Sounds like this will be a real headache...

I'm a bit skeptical about it too, but here's what I know, they'll give you a Windows 10 product key that will have no deactivation date if you upgrade from Win 7/8.1 in the first year of Win 10's release. Whether we can use the key in a clean install at anytime after the first year period expires is unknown.


What about if I happen to have a... not legitimate version of W7?


Get a non legitimate version of W10?

 

 
Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread







Time: Thu December 12, 2019 8:28 AM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website