A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Why halo 3 is not on pc?

Author Topic: Why halo 3 is not on pc? (31 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

unkowndevelopername

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 05:33 PM    Msg. 1 of 31       
Can somebody explain why halo 3 is not on pc yet? I mean the game is only 7 years old. I think its time to shift it over to pc....

sshers4

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 05:38 PM    Msg. 2 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: unkowndevelopername
Can somebody explain why halo 3 is not on pc yet? I mean the game is only 7 years old. I think its time to shift it over to pc....

Microsoft are scared that if they ever release halo 3 on pc it would damage xbox one sales.

Juzo

Just delete my account really

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 05:41 PM    Msg. 3 of 31       
^
This.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 06:33 AM    Msg. 4 of 31       
Pc porting gives microsoft Cash Money nightmares.

OrangeJuice

I'm feeling much better now, thanks!

Posted: Jan 26, 2015 06:10 PM    Msg. 5 of 31       
Because Microsoft meddling would ruin it:

Gearbox(haloPC, HaloCE)? " You must cater to dialup users, and only have X days to do so "
--Rushed so only has internet netcode and no fallback for LAN games, which is why you still have to lead in lan games and most things don't sync probably

Hired Gun(Halo2V)? Poorly Optimized and stutters even if you've never used or had SLI or crossfire, expunged version of editing kit takes the word editing too literally

.etc.

You wouldn't want microsoft's poor dev coordination to screw up yet another game.... would you?

Z T Requiem

Spar...10(tan)?!?

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 05:56 AM    Msg. 6 of 31       
Because Microsoft wants to make money...
If you really want to play Halo 3, get Xbox360/one. That you can play the complete Halo story so far.

Noble

"Well if it isn't the big cheese!"

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 11:09 AM    Msg. 7 of 31       
why not make halo on xbox a timed exclusive for liek a year?

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 12:06 PM    Msg. 8 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: FrostyCyphre

Quote: --- Original message by: fossy
If halo 3 came on PC xbox one wouldn't sell well.

I disagree with you. Do you know what really sells a platform? Not just first-party games like Halo, but very a large amount of third party games, because time and time again. Third party is the life blood of any platform period. Why do you think platforms the smartphones/tablets, PlayStation 3/4, Xbox 360/Xbox One, and Windows are still relevant?
Edited by FrostyCyphre on Jan 27, 2015 at 11:40 AM

I fixed up your comment for you Frosty.
It is much nicer now.

Cheers! :-)

Noble

"Well if it isn't the big cheese!"

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 02:20 PM    Msg. 9 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode

I disagree with you. Do you know what really sells a platform? Not just first-party games like Halo, but very a large amount of third party games, because time and time again. Third party is the life blood of any platform period. Why do you think platforms the smartphones/tablets, PlayStation 3/4, Xbox 360/Xbox One, and Windows are still relevant?

I fixed up your comment for you Frosty.
It is much nicer now.

Cheers! :-)

I disagree with you, and your compadre, as well.
Have a swell afternoon!
Edited by Noble on Jan 27, 2015 at 02:29 PM

The Kingx

ᕙ༼ ಠ益ಠ༽ᕗ

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 05:11 PM    Msg. 10 of 31       

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 07:12 AM    Msg. 11 of 31       

You're sofa king retarded. Do you know what really sells a platform? Not just first-party games like Halo, but very a large amount of third party games, because time and time again. Third party is the life blood of any platform period. Why do you think platforms the smartphones/tablets, PlayStation 3/4, Xbox 360/Xbox One, and Windows are still relevant?

Must you start every post with an insult? Seriously frosty take off your cookie monster pajamas and go socialize.

Say "hey" to pretty girl passing by.

Help young or old person across a dangerous street.

In short try and stop being the worlds biggest anuswhole. It really reflects bad on your upbringing.

You are talented i'll give you that, but your persona more than flattens any good trait you possess.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 03:47 PM    Msg. 12 of 31       
Quote: In short try and stop being the worlds biggest anuswhole. It really reflects bad on your upbringing.
You are talented i'll give you that, but your persona more than flattens any good trait you possess.

I'll try not to be an asshole, but no promises.

I tell myself the same thing every day.

SGT Arroyo

golden

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 02:08 AM    Msg. 13 of 31       

xx_kiLLaz_XX

Opensauce 4.0 is finally out!

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 07:56 PM    Msg. 14 of 31       

Because alTis is from the ILLUMINATI

rcghalohell

I can jump?Weeeee (pop!) (No1 heard from it again)

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 09:24 PM    Msg. 15 of 31       
because altis.... aww man someone beat me to it

ajnauron

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 01:06 AM    Msg. 16 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: Zetren
Forgive the tangent, but this needs to be stated. The "Halo 2 is terribly unoptimised" argument is getting real old. The game has been out 8 years now; and if your hardware can't run it then it's time to upgrade or adapt, not appeal to hackneyed bromides.

What most people complain is "bad optimisation" is actually mouse lag caused by a simple vsync flag issue. Halo 2's built in vysnc only ever worked on certain release-date era cards, and while it was neglectful on the part of Hired Gun not to make it work universally, it can be easily fixed.

Halo 2 PC's engine works in such a fashion that the FPS must be capped for the mouse input to properly function. It was programmed specifically to run at 60fps, hence Halo 2 must be vysnc'd or FPS capped in Nvidia Inspector if its build in vysnc does not work does not work for you and your refresh rate is 60hz. This will fix any symptoms of ostensible mal-optimisation. If your monior is >60hz, it'll seem "unoptimized" until you cap at 60fps.

To reduce mouse lag further, disable triple buffering (If your GFX card is >/=GTX 260), and disable pre-rendered frames. There are also ways to disable OS-wide mouse acceleration.

His explanation is correct but it's designed for 50fps, not 60. If you don't believe me try it yourself. The game engine was meant to run at 50fps.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 06:01 PM    Msg. 17 of 31       
You would have to talk to the actual person in charge of the Halo franchise but I suspect that it is because it is not economically viable to spend the time and money necessary to port (re-write) the game to work on the PC platform.

xx_kiLLaz_XX

Opensauce 4.0 is finally out!

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 06:53 PM    Msg. 18 of 31       
Microsoft doesn't want to waste the time and money.

And they don't want to damage the XBOX sales.

Plus Mattdratt is doing sierra-117.

sshers4

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 06:55 PM    Msg. 19 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: mdestroyer117
Microsoft doesn't want to waste the time and money.

And they don't want to damage the XBOX sales.

Plus Mattdratt is doing sierra-117.

I agree with this comment.

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 07:55 AM    Msg. 20 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
You would have to talk to the actual person in charge of the Halo franchise but I suspect that it is because it is not economically viable to spend the time and money necessary to port (re-write) the game to work on the PC platform.

If they can port halo 2 onto the xbone one add some retina killing bloom and fancy reflections I very much doubt they would even require a kilojoule of energy to hit the "port now" button for H3.

RabbitFood

tripping a path through an internship

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 10:20 AM    Msg. 21 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

If they can port halo 2 onto the xbone one add some retina killing bloom and fancy reflections I very much doubt they would even require a kilojoule of energy to hit the "port now" button for H3.

Then I'm afraid you don't really know how that stuff works.

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 11:13 AM    Msg. 22 of 31       
I think I do since technically all console games are developed on pc's before there disc data is converted and protected into which ever format the console gods demand.

Technically halo 3 is already on pc and so is the EK all they really need to do is create a user friendly bug free version and include a HTML tutorial with it.

And hey presto!

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 11:32 AM    Msg. 23 of 31       
I think I do since technically all console games are developed on pc's before there disc data is converted and protected into which ever format the console gods demand.

Technically halo 3 is already on pc and so is the EK all they really need to do is create a user friendly bug free version and include a HTML tutorial with it.

And hey presto!

Games for consoles are developed using an SDK, primarily emulate the hardware it will be on. The assets may have been designed using a PC, but the game itself has never been playable on PC, contrary to popular belief. That's why there are entire companies dedicated to converting everything specific to the architecture in a piece of software into something that a Windows-based computer can swallow.

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 07:23 AM    Msg. 24 of 31       

And hey presto!

You clearly have no idea how game development on consoles work.

Ugh, does no one pay attention to any of bungies publications???

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 10:49 AM    Msg. 25 of 31       
Haven't visited the site in some time, though I did download all of there available pdf's.

Edit: ah the site has gone all destiny wtf??
Edited by SS Flanker on Feb 8, 2015 at 10:50 AM

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 02:03 PM    Msg. 26 of 31       

And hey presto!

they make it for the pc then they light it on fire and dance around it naked, and a console version arises from the ashes, no? pc releases are slow because they have to glue the ashes back together

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 03:07 PM    Msg. 27 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
Link

some are on halomaps

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 9, 2015 06:16 AM    Msg. 28 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: gruntfromhalo

And hey presto!

they make it for the pc then they light it on fire and dance around it naked, and a console version arises from the ashes, no? pc releases are slow because they have to glue the ashes back together

I bet you 5 CMT TSC:E tags it could be done in around 4 months.

SGT Arroyo

golden

Posted: Feb 9, 2015 08:13 AM    Msg. 29 of 31       
Halo 3 isn't on PC because it is on a xbox 9

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 11, 2015 07:32 AM    Msg. 30 of 31       
Quote: --- Original message by: SGT Arroyo
Halo 3 isn't on PC because it is on a xbox 9

Playstation80 and nintendo piss are better value for money.

halo3n00b

Posted: Feb 11, 2015 12:18 PM    Msg. 31 of 31       
Micro$oft, son

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed February 26, 2020 5:55 PM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website