A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »I use a SweetFX with "slanting light".

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next
Author Topic: I use a SweetFX with "slanting light". (130 messages, Page 1 of 4)
Moderators: Dennis

Z T Requiem

Spar...10(tan)?!?

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 09:33 PM    Msg. 1 of 130       
http://www.mediafire.com/download/leeokxfhrhturoo/GEM_SweetFX.zip

I recently got a sweetfx and put it on Halo CE to test the effect, then I found a difference to other sweetfx, it added slanting light. Here's a video about the effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8q5BBrXlvI

I love the sweetfx, its bloom is gentleness and general effect is beautiful. Praise* :)
Beside, there's GEM effect with this sweetfx, try and open it in "gem_settings.txt", see how it looks on your Halo CE, cool tone maybe good if you like it :)

Mokou Price

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 09:36 PM    Msg. 2 of 130       

Z T Requiem

Spar...10(tan)?!?

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 09:47 PM    Msg. 3 of 130       

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 09:50 PM    Msg. 4 of 130       
Looks good for screenshots but super strange for things like the bloodgulch base lights at the end of the video.

Mokou Price

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 09:53 PM    Msg. 5 of 130       

Z T Requiem

Spar...10(tan)?!?

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 10:06 PM    Msg. 6 of 130       
Quote: --- Original message by: gruntfromhalo
Looks good for screenshots but super strange for things like the bloodgulch base lights at the end of the video.

I don't think so but the slanting light from the muzzle blast fire at 2:12 in the video actually looks strange...

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 10:13 PM    Msg. 7 of 130       
Nice. I might lower the effect a bit, though, but from a SweetFX user, I gotta say: thank you for showing this.

Oh my, I'll be having fun spending hours figuring out how to change these settings without screwing up.
Edited by Danger_zone_98 on Jan 31, 2015 at 10:31 PM

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 10:30 PM    Msg. 8 of 130       
imagine this with open sauce, some enb and other things... damn.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 10:48 PM    Msg. 9 of 130       
just so you know. The term for that "Slanting Light" effect you're getting is called Volumetric Lighting. Just thought it'd be helpful for you to know

Mokou Price

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 10:54 PM    Msg. 10 of 130       
Quote: --- Original message by: VKNG

My screenshots used os, enb, sweetfx and fxaa tool, and I have a very good texmod, not suck like others

Z T Requiem

Spar...10(tan)?!?

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 11:01 PM    Msg. 11 of 130       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
just so you know. The term for that "Slanting Light" effect you're getting is called Volumetric Lighting. Just thought it'd be helpful for you to know

Okay, Thanks for your help, I will remember this.
And nice job to your models :D

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 11:05 PM    Msg. 12 of 130       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mokou Price

My screenshots used os, enb, sweetfx and fxaa tool, and I have a very good texmod, not suck like others

I meant like forthcoming maps like TSCE and Halo Composition. and those 2 already look pretty damn close to Xbox halo games.

Z T Requiem

Spar...10(tan)?!?

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 11:27 PM    Msg. 13 of 130       

Opensauce has a light point "motion blur", it's wonderful if this sweetfx works with Opensauce. but I think I need a new computer...
Mentioned Opensauce, I wanna ask why my Halo CE always get exception in some maps while I using Opensauce...

Z T Requiem

Spar...10(tan)?!?

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 02:24 AM    Msg. 14 of 130       
Quote: --- Original message by: FrostyCyphre
Here have a 4K screenshot of me messing around with SweetFX.
http://puu.sh/fjnP7/eb4fdf21c2.jpg

Yes, this is GEM effect. I think GEM maybe good.

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 06:43 PM    Msg. 15 of 130       
I still have to make some adjustments to contrast and bloom, but I'm starting to like what I'm getting. (The pics don't have the antialiasing, dunno why).

It looks good in interiors but in the outside it's dangerous for the eye.

Edited by Danger_zone_98 on Feb 1, 2015 at 06:51 PM

P3

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 07:03 PM    Msg. 16 of 130       
I just wish that it didn't give everything a slight grainy and depressing foggy look. : L

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 07:11 PM    Msg. 17 of 130       
Quote: --- Original message by: P3
I just wish that it didn't give everything a slight grainy and depressing foggy look. : L

In the SweetFX settings, in the "Gaussian Blur settings" part, there's an option to change the blur effect for a bloom one and you also can change the effect warmth from "neutral" or "foggy" to "warm", that should eliminate the foggy look. Increasing Gaussian Blur quality also helps, just compare my pics to those in the 2nd post; they look much less foggy.

P3

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 07:33 PM    Msg. 18 of 130       
I think I do have my gaussian to bloom. I think I just need to turn down or off lumasharpening and tweak some other stuff a bit more.
At the moment my bigass map looks like someone just died... : L

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 08:01 PM    Msg. 19 of 130       
Ah yes, the sharpening and the "cartoony" look (the black outlines, mainly noticeable in trees) can't be disabled by editing the SweetFX settings; you have to open "DS2_CONFIG".

I deleted this:

#define USE_PRE_SHARPEN
#define USE_TONEMAP
#define USE_VIGNETTE
#define USE_POST_SHARPEN

But added Sharpening and Vignette effects back through the SweetFX_settings.txt file, since they're easier to configure that way.

I didn't touch "#define FXAA_QUALITY__PRESET 9" and "#define USE_ANTI_ALIASING" because if you remove those, you get a black screen.

P3

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 08:47 PM    Msg. 20 of 130       
Well I think adding sharpness looks ok to a point, but just not too much of it that it becomes really visually noticeable.

So deleting those would-...?
*More in depth please? :3

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 09:22 PM    Msg. 21 of 130       
This SweetFX has 3 config files: the normal "SweetFX_settings", "GEM_Settings" and "DS2_CONFIG".

In the standard version of SweetFX, you could toggle all the effects with the Scroll lock key. However with this version, the effects from "DS2_CONFIG" are always on: FXAA, vignette, tonemap and sharpening.

You can't remove "#define FXAA_QUALITY__PRESET 9" nor "#define USE_ANTI_ALIASING" from the DS2_CONFIG file because the shaders depend on it; if you remove it, you'll get a blackscreen. So to be able to use the old (and better, IMO) shaders from SweetFX_settings, you gotta remove this in the DS2_CONFIG file:

#define USE_PRE_SHARPEN
#define USE_TONEMAP
#define USE_VIGNETTE
#define USE_POST_SHARPEN

And then enable those effects (if you want) in the SweetFX_settings.txt file and tweak them there. That should remove the excesive sharpening and the cartoony look.

To control bloom you have to tweak the "Gaussian Blur settings" part in the SweetFX_settings.txt file. These are the ones I have:

#define GaussEffect 2
#define GaussQuality 3
#define GaussSigma 2
#define GaussBloomWarmth 1
#define GaussThreshold 0.00 (This one doesn't affect anything)
#define GaussExposure 10.0 (This one doesn't affect anything)
#define GaussStrength 1.00*

*This last parameter can only be changed in the GEM_Settings file at:

// -- GEM general settings --
#define GaussStrength 0.27 //[0.00 to 1.00]

That parameter seems to affect contrast and bloom, besides this parameter I didn't touch anything else in the GEM_Settings file, since enabling "USE_GEMHD" adds a lot of contrast and desaturates the image. "GEMHBO" is the same but with a small Chromatic Aberration effect. So instead of that, I use and tweak the HDR effect in SweetFX_Settings to control contrast and brightness.

I already explained how to remove the foggy look so that should be it.

E: God rays!

Edited by Danger_zone_98 on Feb 1, 2015 at 09:47 PM

P3

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 09:38 PM    Msg. 22 of 130       
Oh, I didn't even look at the DS2_CONFIG. :<
Didn't even know it was an editable option. Thanks. ;)

Z T Requiem

Spar...10(tan)?!?

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 09:57 PM    Msg. 23 of 130       
Quote: --- Original message by: Danger_zone_98

This SweetFX has 3 config files: the normal "SweetFX_settings", "GEM_Settings" and "DS2_CONFIG".

In the standard version of SweetFX, you could toggle all the effects with the Scroll lock key. However with this version, the effects from "DS2_CONFIG" are always on: FXAA, vignette, tonemap and sharpening.

You can't remove "#define FXAA_QUALITY__PRESET 9" nor "#define USE_ANTI_ALIASING" from the DS2_CONFIG file because the shaders depend on it; if you remove it, you'll get a blackscreen. So to be able to use the old (and better, IMO) shaders from SweetFX_settings, you gotta remove this in the DS2_CONFIG file:

#define USE_PRE_SHARPEN
#define USE_TONEMAP
#define USE_VIGNETTE
#define USE_POST_SHARPEN

And then enable those effects (if you want) in the SweetFX_settings.txt file and tweak them there. That should remove the excesive sharpening and the cartoony look.

To control bloom you have to tweak the "Gaussian Blur settings" part in the SweetFX_settings.txt file. These are the ones I have:

#define GaussEffect 2
#define GaussQuality 3
#define GaussSigma 2

That parameter seems to affect contrast and bloom, besides this parameter I didn't touch anything else in the GEM_Settings file, since enabling "USE_GEMHD" adds a lot of contrast and desaturates the image. "GEMHBO" is the same but with a small Chromatic Aberration effect. So instead of that, I use and tweak the HDR effect in SweetFX_Settings to control contrast and brightness.

http://i.imgur.com/mXACyzj.jpg

Yay, God man... You make it really wonderful now. (Is it Halo CE? XD)
Okay, Can your vignette changes in real-time? My FXAA tool can make this.
Did you add HDR? That will be awesome.

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 10:07 PM    Msg. 24 of 130       
Quote: --- Original message by: Z T Requiem
Quote: --- Original message by: Danger_zone_98

#define USE_PRE_SHARPEN
#define USE_TONEMAP
#define USE_VIGNETTE
#define USE_POST_SHARPEN

#define GaussEffect 2
#define GaussQuality 3
#define GaussSigma 2

http://i.imgur.com/mXACyzj.jpg

Yay, God man... You make it really wonderful now. (Is it Halo CE? XD)
Okay, Can your vignette changes in real-time? My FXAA tool can make this.
Did you add HDR? That will be awesome.

Well, it's a 'fake' HDR, as noted in the description in the config file "Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look (relatively high performance cost)".

Dynamic vignette change? You mean that the screen corners change their darkness according to screen brightness? That would be cool, but I would actually preffer dynamic bloom fade... only ENB Series has it but I don't like ENB's bloom too much. os, y u no has dis?

P3

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 10:17 PM    Msg. 25 of 130       
Can you take screenshots of blood gultch or some other brighter lit vanilla CE maps? A clear screenshot of the environment would be nice.

TailsTheGamer

Meow

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 10:26 PM    Msg. 26 of 130       
Latest version of GEMFX:

Open the image in a new tab as it's large.
Edited by TailsTheGamer on Feb 1, 2015 at 10:27 PM
Edited by TailsTheGamer on Feb 1, 2015 at 10:54 PM

P3

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 10:29 PM    Msg. 27 of 130       
Quote: --- Original message by: TailsTheGamer

Latest version of GEMEFFECTS:
http://i38.servimg.com/u/f38/17/78/77/04/haloce10.jpg

Lens flare and dof?

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 10:29 PM    Msg. 28 of 130       
Can you take screenshots of blood gultch or some other brighter lit vanilla CE maps? A clear screenshot of the environment would be nice.

You just hit the weak spot of any graphic mod for Halo CE...

I didn't change anything since the Mystic screenshot:

The bloom is a bit high but considering that it is friggin Blood-Gulch, it's pretty good.

If I start playing in a bright map right after I played in a dark/indoors map, then it's just a matter of chaging 1 or 2 values in the SweetFX_settings file to adjust the effects without having to close Halo. It should take about 10-15 seconds to do that.

Lens flare and dof?

Both of them look edited, or I really want that mod to tweak it.

E: I found the blur, but not the flares.
Edited by Danger_zone_98 on Feb 1, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Z T Requiem

Spar...10(tan)?!?

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 10:39 PM    Msg. 29 of 130       

My god... Depth and flares... Where did you find the GEM?
This is wonderful play, I wanna try it.
Edited by Z T Requiem on Feb 1, 2015 at 10:40 PM

P3

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 10:44 PM    Msg. 30 of 130       
Is there an official website or something where you could find the most recent build?

TailsTheGamer

Meow

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 10:45 PM    Msg. 31 of 130       
It's version 1.0.8
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?672484-Generic-GEMFX-Version-1-0-8
I kinda played with the preset to look the way I wanted it to.

The only editing I did was crop them together and add orange around each pic to separate them.

I hope the dev gets God Rays working with DX9 games as I'd love to see that in Halo.

Hit "K" to enable a static depth of field.

It comes with a GUI to use to edit the presets.

Also it's good to note that it comes with SweetFX bundled and can also be modified using the GUI.

Launch the GUI as admin so it can edit the config files in your CE folder if you installed it to the Programs folder.

The default settings are very pronounced so I recommend messing with em till you get them the way you want them.
Edited by TailsTheGamer on Feb 1, 2015 at 10:48 PM

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 10:50 PM    Msg. 32 of 130       
Now there's so much more to tweak... I just hope they don't give me any homework tomorrow in college, after all it's just a 2 hour class :D

Oh God, it works with League...
Edited by Danger_zone_98 on Feb 1, 2015 at 10:54 PM

Z T Requiem

Spar...10(tan)?!?

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 10:57 PM    Msg. 33 of 130       
Nah... I am just a chinese third year of junior high school student and I am in winter holidays. I just hope the mountains of the homework is easy to do that I can finish them early and then I can spend more time on improving the frame of Halo CE.
And I hope to make friend with you 'cause we are both students and we love Halo CE :D
Edited by Z T Requiem on Feb 1, 2015 at 11:10 PM

Mokou Price

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 11:39 PM    Msg. 34 of 130       
I don't like those effects because some of them are too bright or too dark , when I first edited things like enb, my eyes felt painful every days, maybe the effect are very nice for taking screenshot, but most times they are just make you feel epic by very bright light or things that similar.
Although the gemfx with dof is epic, but I think the part with light color is too bright and part with dark color is too dark
Edited by Mokou Price on Feb 1, 2015 at 11:50 PM

TailsTheGamer

Meow

Posted: Feb 2, 2015 12:05 AM    Msg. 35 of 130       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mokou Price

I don't like those effects because some of them are too bright or too dark , when I first edited things like enb, my eyes felt painful every days, maybe the effect are very nice for taking screenshot, but most times they are just make you feel epic by very bright light or things that similar.
Although the gemfx with dof is epic, but I think the part with light color is too bright and part with dark color is too dark
Edited by Mokou Price on Feb 1, 2015 at 11:50 PM

You have to edit the effects just right in order for it to look good in both dark and light areas. It can be pretty hard if you don't know what you're looking for.

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue February 18, 2020 2:13 AM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website