A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Help with LOD\permutations\regions

Author Topic: Help with LOD\permutations\regions (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

rododoonceagain

Left Halo because life

Posted: Feb 20, 2015 11:31 AM    Msg. 1 of 10       
Ok, I am getting mad, for I don't know how to do stuff.

WHAT I WANT

I want the engine to randomly choose among a number of permutations for the same region.
OR
I want to set up a certain number of permutations of the same regions, and I want the engine to use them for various permutations. For example, if I have 3 permutations (1, 2, 3) for 3 regions (A, B, C), I want the engine to use them like, for example
Render 1: A1 B1 C3; Render 2: A2 B1 C1; Render 3: A3 B3 C2 and so on

Which names should I give to the various JMS?

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Feb 20, 2015 11:53 AM    Msg. 2 of 10       
<permutation name> <lod>.jms, add ~ in front of permutation name if you don't want it to be selected randomly (can be selected with scripts or something). Example: base superhigh.jms

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Feb 20, 2015 12:23 PM    Msg. 3 of 10       
_base if you don't want your base to be selected randomly. Give it a region.

Export it as a single JMS, for example base can be a spartan with no head or armor perms and as a region named base or body or altissux, it should have all the markers if they are kept along all the perms.

as altis said, ~ prevents perms to be selected randomly.

If you want your perms to be randomized, just put nothing in front of the name of the perm. Then you can save your perms in SEPARATE jms files. For example one JMS will contain only boneset and the helmet, and/or shoulders or whatever with a different region name for each and will be named the same, regions separated this way will be selected randomly depending on the region and not the JMS. No markers. Make sure all your regions name match

A good scene management using layers or selection sets is the key to get the track of that stuff
Edited by bourrin33 on Feb 20, 2015 at 12:25 PM

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Feb 20, 2015 08:50 PM    Msg. 4 of 10       
hmmm, now that you talk about this it is the same thing for permutations for destructable vehicles?

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Feb 21, 2015 05:43 AM    Msg. 5 of 10       
Yeah for single player but you have to make a matching collision model with the same region and permutation name.

called ~destroyed
Edited by bourrin33 on Feb 21, 2015 at 05:43 AM

rododoonceagain

Left Halo because life

Posted: Feb 21, 2015 08:31 AM    Msg. 6 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33

_base if you don't want your base to be selected randomly. Give it a region.

Export it as a single JMS, for example base can be a spartan with no head or armor perms and as a region named base or body or altissux, it should have all the markers if they are kept along all the perms.

as altis said, ~ prevents perms to be selected randomly.

If you want your perms to be randomized, just put nothing in front of the name of the perm. Then you can save your perms in SEPARATE jms files. For example one JMS will contain only boneset and the helmet, and/or shoulders or whatever with a different region name for each and will be named the same, regions separated this way will be selected randomly depending on the region and not the JMS. No markers. Make sure all your regions name match

A good scene management using layers or selection sets is the key to get the track of that stuff
Edited by bourrin33 on Feb 20, 2015 at 12:25 PM

This is how to set up multiple permutations. But to set up multiple permutations of the same region?

I mean, I have 2 model for the heads and a model for the rest of the body. How\where should I save all the stuff? Because the game seems to select a single jms to render, not multiple jms of different regions combined in a single model.

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Feb 21, 2015 10:33 AM    Msg. 7 of 10       
Are you sure the pieces of geometry in your JMS have different region names ?
Each head should have a separate JMS.
You can put one head as base with body model and the other one in another JMS

rododoonceagain

Left Halo because life

Posted: Feb 22, 2015 06:54 AM    Msg. 8 of 10       
Ok, it is still not working. Here I report what I did and what I got

1) Have a single file with all the meshes and the rigging of my character (in this case, a marine from Halo Reach). There are bones, markers, all the various faces and parts of armor (in different meshes) and so on.
2) Deleted all the meshes except the one of the body; markers and bones were left untouched.
3) Exported the body as a JMS file called "_base.jms"
4) Opened once again my old file (changes were not saved)
5) Deleted the markers and the body. Then, deleted all the mesh I didn't need. Were left only the ones of the permutation I wanted to obtain.
6) Exported as a new JMS

Steps from 4 to 6 were repeated as many times as needed; in the end, I had 4 files: a JMS for the base and 3 jms for the various permutations (called "medic", "space marine" and "odst"). Base contained just the mesh of the body, the skeleton and the markers, while the other JMS files contained the various meshes they needed for the character (but not the body), the skeleton and no markers.

The game, however, seems treat all of them as various, unconnected permutations. The ending result is something like this

Things worth noting: I use 3ds Max 2013, and to export I use the script JMS exporter v. 1.02 by TheGhost and Ctrl+Alt+Destroy. It seems that no region was passed to the GBX model, since the tag reports a single region called "__unnamed"
Edited by rododoonceagain on Feb 22, 2015 at 07:13 AM

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Feb 22, 2015 07:21 AM    Msg. 9 of 10       
It seems that you didn't give names to regions. This explains how to do it http://www.modacity.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=122&d=1255646275

rododoonceagain

Left Halo because life

Posted: Feb 22, 2015 07:40 AM    Msg. 10 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
It seems that you didn't give names to regions. This explains how to do it http://www.modacity.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=122&d=1255646275

This was... unexpected, to say the least. Thanks, I'd say, I'll try it as soon as I can.

EDIT: I'm glad to say that it worked. I'm still unsure about how the engine handles regions and permutations, but, as for now, things work and that's all I'm asking for. Thanks for your help, altis and bourrin.
Edited by rododoonceagain on Feb 22, 2015 at 09:05 AM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon May 25, 2020 7:17 PM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website