A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »What if the Covenant came to our world today?

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: What if the Covenant came to our world today? (41 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

pwner5889

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 01:00 AM    Msg. 1 of 41       
What would happen if the Covenant came to our world today? What would happen? This has probably been talked about before, but whatever. I'm kind of bored. Gotta take a break from my modeling. >.>

StormUndBlackbird

https://youtube.com/StormUndBlackbird

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 01:31 AM    Msg. 2 of 41       
Then we can finally have a super soldier, called the "Master Chief", set to play on real-life difficulty against the tyrants called the EU... I mean the covenant >:O

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 02:10 AM    Msg. 3 of 41       
We'd lose, as we lack the capability for interstellar travel. All of our fish are in one barrel. We have no buffers between the cradle of humanity and outlying colonies, as the UNSC did.

In a conventional ground engagement, however, I suspect we'd fare as well as the UNSC did. Much of the equipment used by the UNSC either already exists in some form, or could be replicated with relative ease using modern technology.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 03:16 AM    Msg. 4 of 41       
What are all of you 8 years old? What does this have to do with anything?

Echo77

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 03:44 AM    Msg. 5 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: Banshee64

What does your post have to do with anything? He posed a hypothetical Halo-related scenario because he's bored, we answered because we're bored and/or enjoy examining hypothetical scenarios.

TailsTheGamer

Meow

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 03:50 AM    Msg. 6 of 41       

Someone who philosophize about the future is not of a person who is eight years old. The enjoyment of sharing knowledge can be a fascinating one at that.

manmwale

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 04:17 AM    Msg. 7 of 41       
Hi,
Watch Alien outpost, it will satisfy that questions thirst. We would win, but not be able to follow and finish them off.
The funds are there to develop more space facilities but there is no current urgency to win a vote.

Mokou Price

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 05:29 AM    Msg. 8 of 41       
World police America will save us :D

Ken10Ness

DED NOT BIG SUPRIZE!!!1111

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 05:31 AM    Msg. 9 of 41       
I would be dead we would all be dead because they would find a ring world to kill every living thing!

RabbitFood

tripping a path through an internship

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 07:57 AM    Msg. 10 of 41       
More than likely I'd say that with our small size, they'd try to assimilate us into the Covenant.

SOI_7

Tatsumaki best waifu

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 08:21 AM    Msg. 11 of 41       

What do you have to do with this forum?

sirbobbington

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 09:25 AM    Msg. 12 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: RabbitFood
More than likely I'd say that with our small size, they'd try to assimilate us into the Covenant.

This.

I only read a summary of the book, but I think I recall that the Covenant only started the war because they were looking for a "reclaimer" artifact on Harvest, and then discovered that humans were the chosen successors of the Forerunners. If we were found before the prophets figured that out, we would most likely be admitted at the lowest ranks. Think a Half Life 2 scenario. With a brief resistance followed by the ultimatum of submission or subjugation.

NeX

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 11:26 AM    Msg. 13 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: sirbobbington
Quote: --- Original message by: RabbitFood

This.

I only read a summary of the book, but I think I recall that the Covenant only started the war because they were looking for a "reclaimer" artifact on Harvest, and then discovered that humans were the chosen successors of the Forerunners. If we were found before the prophets figured that out, we would most likely be admitted at the lowest ranks. Think a Half Life 2 scenario. With a brief resistance followed by the ultimatum of submission or subjugation.

I'd like to think we're worth more than grunts, since we're still intelligent. We can't really breed like rodents, so putting us in the "cannon fodder" role wouldn't do anyone much good at all. I'd imagine we'd be right about where jackals are, more valuable than grunts, but not as badass as elites

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 11:28 AM    Msg. 14 of 41       
If the covenant came to our planet today. We'd just annihilate them with M1A3 Abrams loaded with mountain dew sabot rounds. And rek them with f-22's retro fitted with cluster doritos.

rododoonceagain

Left Halo because life

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 11:55 AM    Msg. 15 of 41       
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba

We would just find a way to deliver this badass to one of their cruisers and watch the following fireworks. glassing a planet takes much more time than just dropping a bomb.

INB4 "covenant ships have shields"

The bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki reached temperatures from 3.000 to 5.000 degrees; this is something like more than 1.000 times more powerful, and it could have been even more powerful, but the creators were afraid they could create an atomic winter and thus didn't make it as powerful as they could. I'm pretty sure that the shielding of a covenant ship, though incredibly powerful, wouldn't stand a chance; high temperatures would incinerate it; and even if it could survive, the massive radioactivity would just slaughter every living being inside the ship (or the ship itself)
Edited by rododoonceagain on Mar 13, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 11:57 AM    Msg. 16 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: rododoonceagain

We would just find a way to deliver this badass to one of their cruisers and watch the following fireworks. glassing a planet takes much more time than just dropping a bomb.

Perhaps we could develop a trojan horse banshee which uses your shaders rododo.

We could fill the banshee with several thousand mento's and 800 million litres of diet dew.

The yield would be sooooo unquantifiable.

StormUndBlackbird

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 12:37 PM    Msg. 17 of 41       

The bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki reached temperatures from 3.000 to 5.000 degrees; this is something like more than 1.000 times more powerful, and it could have been even more powerful, but the creators were afraid they could create an atomic winter and thus didn't make it as powerful as they could. I'm pretty sure that the shielding of a covenant ship, though incredibly powerful, wouldn't stand a chance; high temperatures would incinerate it; and even if it could survive, the massive radioactivity would just slaughter every living being inside the ship (or the ship itself)
But what if they respawn?

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 12:39 PM    Msg. 18 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: StormUndBlackbird

But what if they respawn?

Edited by SS Flanker on Mar 13, 2015 at 12:39 PM

Echo77

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 12:48 PM    Msg. 19 of 41       

Edited by rododoonceagain on Mar 13, 2015 at 12:04 PM

In all instances I can remember the UNSC deploying nuclear missiles against a shielded Covenant ship, it was insufficient when it came to disspating the energy shields by itself. There's also the question of how one might go about getting a nuclear weapon inside a Covenant ship in order for it to be effective, and in the event that it was done, the odds of doing it again would probably be slim to none. I doubt scuttling a single cruiser would bring the alien war machine to a halt.
Edited by Echo77 on Mar 13, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Ubermaniac

Bleach. Y'know what I mean?

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 01:58 PM    Msg. 20 of 41       
I dunno, I agree we might be assimilated. But in a war, Earth would be glassed pretty quick. Can't beat plasma bombardment!

sshers4

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 02:11 PM    Msg. 21 of 41       
I wouldn't say covenant do exist but remember space is huge.

But here is good news NASA said that humans will be leaving this planet and travel to mars and make life there.
They will never come back to this world.

But here is the point though there are no oxygen in mars so that means there won't be humans up there?

I do believe there are future animals and alieans in mars and they can breath just like how fish breath inside the ocean.

It will take 2 years to get there. Lets wait and see what they discover.

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 02:33 PM    Msg. 22 of 41       
Anyone who thinks we'll even have something resembling resistance is off their rocker. The technology of the 26th century is comparable to what we have now only in function and (in some cases) caliber. Even if that weren't the case and everyone had their own personal MJOLNIR, the UN of today is a lot less powerful than in the Halo universe. You'd have every country trying to mount their own defense and getting in each others way.

Nickster5000

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 02:53 PM    Msg. 23 of 41       
You know, I've always pondered this question.

I don't have time to give a full response, but the short version:

gg

Echo77

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 03:34 PM    Msg. 24 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: BKTiel
Anyone who thinks we'll even have something resembling resistance is off their rocker. The technology of the 26th century is comparable to what we have now only in function and (in some cases) caliber.

The Covenant would have a number of disadvantages, however, considering their were designed for a video game and not a modern battlefield: They wear brightly colored armor. Officers and other higher-ups are easily distinguishable at a distance. Their tanks are incapable of direct fire, where a modern MBT can peg a target three miles out. They still use swords in an age where the average range of engagement is in the neighborhood of 300 yards. Their snipers draw a line straight to their position every time they fire, and utilize brightly lit optics. Their plasma weapons suffer from agonizingly slow muzzle velocity. So on and so forth.

The politics are another matter, and it'd ultimately come down to having no way to combat Covenant cruisers as they glassed the planet either way, but I'm still convinced that modern materiel could match or outdo UNSC military equipment in most departments (save for the obvious areas like powered armor and personal energy shielding).

StormUndBlackbird

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 06:44 PM    Msg. 25 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: Zetren
Quote: --- Original message by: Nickster5000
You know, I've always pondered this question.

I don't have time to give a full response, but the short version:

gg

no re

"0-16" wp

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 06:56 PM    Msg. 26 of 41       
"0-16" wp

"Those elites were walling"

Ubermaniac

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 07:04 PM    Msg. 27 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
"0-16" wp

"Those elites were walling"[/quote

I carried the entire damn team.

MEGA_VKNG

funny epic meme

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 08:25 PM    Msg. 28 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
Anyone who thinks we'll even have something resembling resistance is off their rocker. The technology of the 26th century is comparable to what we have now only in function and (in some cases) caliber.

The Covenant would have a number of disadvantages, however, considering their were designed for a video game and not a modern battlefield: They wear brightly colored armor. Officers and other higher-ups are easily distinguishable at a distance. Their tanks are incapable of direct fire, where a modern MBT can peg a target three miles out. They still use swords in an age where the average range of engagement is in the neighborhood of 300 yards. Their snipers draw a line straight to their position every time they fire, and utilize brightly lit optics. Their plasma weapons suffer from agonizingly slow muzzle velocity. So on and so forth.

The politics are another matter, and it'd ultimately come down to having no way to combat Covenant cruisers as they glassed the planet either way, but I'm still convinced that modern materiel could match or outdo UNSC military equipment in most departments (save for the obvious areas like powered armor and personal energy shielding).

Power armor does exist... Kinda. Not Master Chief quality but it is a thing. Game theory also has a good video on this if you are interested.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_Ballistics_Suit_of_Armor

While this suit doesn't have all the neural augmentations that come with a spartan, research and projects (mostly in Japan of course) have been studying this kind of stuff. That's also in the game theory video I mentioned :P
Edited by MEGASEAN2812 on Mar 13, 2015 at 08:29 PM

Ubermaniac

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 08:46 PM    Msg. 29 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812

Power armor does exist... Kinda. Not Master Chief quality but it is a thing. Game theory also has a good video on this if you are interested.

http://www.editinternational.com/images/gallery/troy-01_low.jpg

While this suit doesn't have all the neural augmentations that come with a spartan, research and projects (mostly in Japan of course) have been studying this kind of stuff. That's also in the game theory video I mentioned :P
Edited by MEGASEAN2812 on Mar 13, 2015 at 08:29 PM

I read some suits augment your strength already.

MEGA_VKNG

funny epic meme

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 08:48 PM    Msg. 30 of 41       
@Ubermaniac most exo skeletons can augment you're strength by a lot. But those don't really have armor from what I've seen so you would still die pretty easily.

Echo77

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 11:05 PM    Msg. 31 of 41       

This doesn't augment the wearer's strength, to my knowledge, and the general consensus seems to be that it's not actually functional.

The strength-enhancing military exoskeletons I've heard of are unarmored and not really at a stage where they'd be practical for combat, as I understand it.

RabbitFood

tripping a path through an internship

Posted: Mar 14, 2015 12:21 AM    Msg. 32 of 41       

This doesn't augment the wearer's strength, to my knowledge, and the general consensus seems to be that it's not actually functional.

The strength-enhancing military exoskeletons I've heard of are unarmored and not really at a stage where they'd be practical for combat, as I understand it.

I'm sure it'd just turn into some Shojen Gundam war in the end.

MEGA_VKNG

funny epic meme

Posted: Mar 14, 2015 01:34 AM    Msg. 33 of 41       
Nvm
Edited by MEGASEAN2812 on Mar 14, 2015 at 01:34 AM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Mar 14, 2015 01:43 AM    Msg. 34 of 41       
I would offer them a cup of tea and depending on their manners maybe a jaffa cake or if they were extra nice , a Tunnocks caramel wafer. Maybe.

snark567

Duck bombs donít intimidate carnivorous deer.

Posted: Mar 14, 2015 04:40 PM    Msg. 35 of 41       
I will punch them in the face wit a rock and then ride off into the distance with a unicycle while watching a video of a dancing bear.

Nah just kidding.

We will all be friends and open minded. The end.

Now who wants to sing about pie?

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon July 16, 2018 9:05 AM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website