A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Installation 01 (Halo Fan Game) Thread

Page 7 of 13 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 4 · 5 · 6 · [7] · 8 · 9 · 10 · ... · 13 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Installation 01 (Halo Fan Game) Thread (424 messages, Page 7 of 13)
Moderators: Dennis

videoman

We are Microsoft, Resistance is Futile

Posted: Apr 19, 2016 11:28 PM    Msg. 211 of 424       
Quote: --- Original message by: TheChunkierBean
Quote: --- Original message by: videoman
Looking pretty awesome so far! Using the UE4 engine can be a pain sometimes, but you guys seem to be handling it pretty well.

Are you using Blueprints at all? I saw in the trailer that a Visual Studio was showing in the background, so I take it you are using coding. But are you using Blueprints at all? I remember in the past reading a quote from a Epic employee and how they said that Blueprints are 4X slower then just using code. So I wasn't sure if Blueprints were a thing.

I hope the best for this project! I am looking forward to seeing more in-game gameplay being shown.

Also if you need help then let me know. Sort of trying to build a Single Player Halo game myself in UE4, so I've been trying to do what I can to learn more about working with UE4.

Let me know if the team needs help. I am mainly a 3D modeler. More on the architecture/structure side though. Still trying to master the art of modeling organics. x3

As Altis has stated, we are using Unity 5. However if you want to join as a 3D modeler than that would help a lot!

Shoot! My apologies. I thought you had gone from Unity to UE4 and not the other way around. That's on me. My bad.

It's weird be because the images I've seen recently looked like they were on UE4 (meaning recent development images), and the old image I saw were from when the game (I thought) was in Unity.

Halonimator

https://imgur.com/ZBjOJ4L

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 01:11 AM    Msg. 212 of 424       
Looking pretty awesome so far! Using the UE4 engine can be a pain sometimes, but you guys seem to be handling it pretty well.

Are you using Blueprints at all? I saw in the trailer that a Visual Studio was showing in the background, so I take it you are using coding. But are you using Blueprints at all? I remember in the past reading a quote from a Epic employee and how they said that Blueprints are 4X slower then just using code. So I wasn't sure if Blueprints were a thing.

I hope the best for this project! I am looking forward to seeing more in-game gameplay being shown.

Also if you need help then let me know. Sort of trying to build a Single Player Halo game myself in UE4, so I've been trying to do what I can to learn more about working with UE4.

Let me know if the team needs help. I am mainly a 3D modeler. More on the architecture/structure side though. Still trying to master the art of modeling organics. x3

As Altis has stated, we are using Unity 5. However if you want to join as a 3D modeler than that would help a lot!

Shoot! My apologies. I thought you had gone from Unity to UE4 and not the other way around. That's on me. My bad.

It's weird be because the images I've seen recently looked like they were on UE4 (meaning recent development images), and the old image I saw were from when the game (I thought) was in Unity.

I dont like Unity (it's main language "java and c#")

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 01:18 AM    Msg. 213 of 424       
C# is great and definitely worth learning, not just for Unity.
It's a good programming language that'll be of use in the corporate world as well.

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 01:23 AM    Msg. 214 of 424       
c# best language

mostly because I can't even pointer. delegates ftw.

videoman

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 01:55 AM    Msg. 215 of 424       
Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
C# is great and definitely worth learning, not just for Unity.
It's a good programming language that'll be of use in the corporate world as well.

I would have to agree. I am not a coder, but I have heard more then once that C# is both better and easier to learn then something like C++ (which UE4 uses, but Epic doesn't understand how class hierarchy works). And to be honest, if you don't like a Engine simply because it uses a different computer language then what you "like", then good luck in the real world when working with code. Companies can use a verity of languages, from the C language, to Java, Python and so on. Game companies that usually use a pre-built engine (mainly Indie dev teams) have less room to work, but companies like Bungie, Bio-Ware, DICE, and so on usually have a team of programmers that build an engine from the ground up and the language is usually picked in a co-operate effort between the programmers and the team manager (or company owner sometimes).

Unity is actually more versatile because of how it uses code. So using it for a Halo game is actually a good idea, as you have more flexibility to work with. UE4 has some good stuff, but when I have asked around (among the Programmer Dev Community) they have either worked with UE4 and said nope, or they look at how Epic has structured their code (and how poor their Documentation can be) and just face-palm.

Anyways, I think Installation 01 switching from UE4 to Unity was a good idea. Because when I thought they had gone from Unity to UE4, I was scratching my head because I know how much a pain UE4 can be when making a game that doesn't rely fully on Blueprints.

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 02:18 AM    Msg. 216 of 424       
-snip-

I don't ever recall them being on Unreal tho...
From the first showing its always been Unity hasn't it?

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 03:09 AM    Msg. 217 of 424       
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
-snip-

I don't ever recall them being on Unreal tho...
From the first showing its always been Unity hasn't it?

Always has been Unity.

Edited by Dumb AI on Apr 20, 2016 at 03:10 AM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 05:18 PM    Msg. 218 of 424       

I would have to agree. I am not a coder, but I have heard more then once that C# is both better and easier to learn then something like C++ (which UE4 uses, but Epic doesn't understand how class hierarchy works).

There's a saying "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder but when you do, you blow your entire leg off". C++ is definitely harder to learn but once you get the hang of it it's pretty stable.

And to be honest, if you don't like a Engine simply because it uses a different computer language then what you "like", then good luck in the real world when working with code.

Couldn't agree with you more. Most people who learn a coding language need to understand a variety of them. Most people, however, will settle for C#, C++, Unix, Java, Python, and occasionally Ruby. (I've taken a few courses with programming, while im no expert yet, this is some of the stuff I've picked up)

Unity is actually more versatile because of how it uses code. So using it for a Halo game is actually a good idea, as you have more flexibility to work with. UE4 has some good stuff, but when I have asked around (among the Programmer Dev Community) they have either worked with UE4 and said nope, or they look at how Epic has structured their code (and how poor their Documentation can be) and just face-palm.

Please restructure this because I cant actually understand what you're saying. I don't particularly know why im dissecting what you're saying but I feel like part of what you're saying is inaccurate anyways. Unity is nice for getting started because like BLAM it's pretty easy to learn and get into, but that comes at the cost of some limitations on both programming and utility ends. UE4 is significantly better than Unity when it comes to how far you can push it but it's also harder to learn as a result. Blueprint was made to alleviate that and has done its job, as you can see how many new games and scenes are being made rapidly with UE4 as opposed to Unity (and even CryEngine/Lumberyard, for that matter). The Unreal Documentation is also great, so I don't know who you were talking to about the docs. For anything that's not covered in the documentation (which there's very little) or needs a bit more in-depth explanations, Epic has set up a huge database of tutorial videos and community content to help you get started and on your way to making content. I know this for a fact as I've owned UE4 since before it went free and went through learning the engine strictly by their tutorials.

Anyways, I think Installation 01 switching from UE4 to Unity was a good idea. Because when I thought they had gone from Unity to UE4, I was scratching my head because I know how much a pain UE4 can be when making a game that doesn't rely fully on Blueprints.

I01 was never UE4. Also, Epic has made it even easier to go from Blueprints to code with their own built in BP->CPP Converter, as well as having a publicly available git to pull code from and modify your engine with. It's completely open ended and user friendly, I seriously want to know where you're getting your information from because a lot of it is blatantly wrong. I'm not trying to be aggressive (though it may come up as such, apologies if that ends up being the case), but I'm curious to see what sort of information you're getting and who is saying such.

videoman

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 07:21 PM    Msg. 219 of 424       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper

I would have to agree. I am not a coder, but I have heard more then once that C# is both better and easier to learn then something like C++ (which UE4 uses, but Epic doesn't understand how class hierarchy works).

There's a saying "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder but when you do, you blow your entire leg off". C++ is definitely harder to learn but once you get the hang of it it's pretty stable.

And to be honest, if you don't like a Engine simply because it uses a different computer language then what you "like", then good luck in the real world when working with code.

Couldn't agree with you more. Most people who learn a coding language need to understand a variety of them. Most people, however, will settle for C#, C++, Unix, Java, Python, and occasionally Ruby. (I've taken a few courses with programming, while im no expert yet, this is some of the stuff I've picked up)

Please restructure this because I cant actually understand what you're saying. I don't particularly know why im dissecting what you're saying but I feel like part of what you're saying is inaccurate anyways. Unity is nice for getting started because like BLAM it's pretty easy to learn and get into, but that comes at the cost of some limitations on both programming and utility ends. UE4 is significantly better than Unity when it comes to how far you can push it but it's also harder to learn as a result. Blueprint was made to alleviate that and has done its job, as you can see how many new games and scenes are being made rapidly with UE4 as opposed to Unity (and even CryEngine/Lumberyard, for that matter). The Unreal Documentation is also great, so I don't know who you were talking to about the docs. For anything that's not covered in the documentation (which there's very little) or needs a bit more in-depth explanations, Epic has set up a huge database of tutorial videos and community content to help you get started and on your way to making content. I know this for a fact as I've owned UE4 since before it went free and went through learning the engine strictly by their tutorials.

I01 was never UE4. Also, Epic has made it even easier to go from Blueprints to code with their own built in BP->CPP Converter, as well as having a publicly available git to pull code from and modify your engine with. It's completely open ended and user friendly, I seriously want to know where you're getting your information from because a lot of it is blatantly wrong. I'm not trying to be aggressive (though it may come up as such, apologies if that ends up being the case), but I'm curious to see what sort of information you're getting and who is saying such.

First of all, the idea that Installation 01 was on UE4 came from this webpage:
http://nefranius-software.weebly.com/

When i was originally typing my first post my brain had thought that these two projects were the same, though going back I found out that was incorrect. So that was a fault on my part.

Now onto what you said while butchering my post. Unity is better in the ways of Developing a game in the fact that it is much more straight forward. When you need something to do something specific, all that is required is for you (or your local coder) to write a script and drop it onto a game object. Other then writing the code, that pretty much it.

However in UE4, there are more hoops you have to go through. The process of setting up a code script required more time and effort just to get the script going. While in Unity, you can just right-click in the content browser, choose which programming language you want to use, name the file and then you are done. Then just double click on the script and start coding.

UE4 makes the programmer(s) go through this giant process of pick and choose, just to get the script file setup even before coding even happens.

Also, UE4 (or more so Epic Games) has a notorious issue with their Documentation.

A) It's either unfinished (meaning the Community is usually in charge of figuring out exactly how something has to be done.

Or B) It's never kept up to date with the current version. So a lot of the time when coding in UE4, and you are in a new engine version, the keywords you used in the last version, don't work in the new version. And when you go to check what has been changed, most of the time it hasn't been documented yet.

Unity has a pretty good method down for how they do their Game Engine Business. From what I have seen, they update their documentation either before they release a new engine version, or within hours after they release it, and if not those, then they have it ready and updated. So as soon as the engine drops, they almost instantly push out the updated documentation.

Epic take their time with this, thus many users stay on the old Engine version for weeks to a month or more before they know they can properly transition over to the new engine version. This is a big problem when educational institutions are trying to teach UE4 (which I was at one that did), because when a student or teacher are trying to find something in UE4's documentation, it a lot of the time isn't there. Or it is there but there isn't enough information to properly troubleshoot the issue that is popping up.

And what I mean by how they structured their code is this.

In Unity, there is a centralized Class that you call from. It's called UnityEngine. This one over-arching container (and many coders sometimes put it) holds everything that relates to the engine. So from this one Class, you can then branch off and work with the classes that fall bellow.

However in UE4, you have two different Classes you have to pick from. One is called Objects, and one is called Actors. So because of this figuring out which one to use can be time consuming and tedious, thus resulting in slower Game Development due to a uncertainty in what needs to go where to function properly.

I'd like to point out that Unity's listed of released games (from 2014 - 2016) far surpasses that of UE4. Meaning games that have actually been released (not including TBD, Pre-Order or games that were going to be released but never did, which UE4 has a good chunk of non-released games). So that statement on how UE4 is allowing more games to be made, is not really true.

Check out the UE4 list here: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Category:Games
Keep in mind that some of the games on the list that state they were released, actually never did. So either the team had set a date, but didn't meet it, or the team gave up and did other things.

Here is Unity's list of game made on their engine: https://unity3d.com/showcase/gallery/games

Even without loading another page of released games, games made with Unity far surpass games made with UE4. In the list of UE4 games, I counted 17 games that had either a day, month and year marked on them, or ones that actually said "Released". And I clicked on a few of them to find out that some of the "Released" game never actually got to into the market to be bought. So there are somewhat less the 17 games made and released on UE4.

Overall, Unity is a more used and successful engine. Both their documentation and amount of content made with the engine is far better then what UE4 has to offer. Sure, UE4 has fancy looking graphics, but that is because it was pre-coded by Epic games (and I think it is just a upgraded UE3 graphics plugin actually).

Unity looks rough only because it allows openness and flexibility to the Dev team. Meaning it is up to the Dev team to make it look the way they want it. Allowing more visually stylized games to come out of Unity, then UE4. UE4 is more for Semi-realistic games, and less for artistically stylized ones. Sure UE4 can do Cell-shading, but that just one art style. Compared to the numerous other art styles you can make a game look like.

Anyways I admit I was wrong about Installation 01 being on UE4, though it is understandable with the other Halo Multiplayer focused game also in the works that IS one UE4. Sometimes with all the multiple fan projects, your brain can mix things up a bit.

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Apr 21, 2016 01:24 AM    Msg. 220 of 424       
I don't want to bash UE4 entirely because I've learned a ton of stuff by using it, and had good fun in doing so. But if you're making a blueprint-driven game then you must beware of the faults that UE4 currently has.

First of all, dragging nodes and connecting them to each other is simply a tedious process. Especially once the blueprints get larger. Yes, you could do it all in C++ I suppose, but I had a ton of issues just getting Visual Studio set up properly due to some weird bug in my Computers PATH environment variable...

Currently don't go to UE4 is you want to make a sandbox game that allows dynamic terrain/material editing ingame, it cannot do it. You can also not remove grass instances realtime either.

Once you've been working with UE4 for awhile across several versions, you'll definitely run into a slew of "known bugs". Which have been reported on the forums for a very long time, and still aren't fixed. The biggest deal-breaker for me is hard-engine crashes completely resetting your default variable values in child blueprints. It made me resort to various laborious workarounds to not have to rely on what I enter in my editor anymore. Such an important, basic, feature should really just work under all circumstances.

Indeed enough functions are also not properly documented yet, you can search for some C++ functions and not get any proper description on the official documentation whatsoever.

As for Unity, I've just been getting into it this week. So far so good.
What sort of limitations does Unity have @R93_Sniper?

Mootjuh

Hilariously derailing oneliner

Posted: Apr 21, 2016 02:32 AM    Msg. 221 of 424       
Don't know about you, but I have full control over my foliage in UE4. Dynamic materials are an easy thing too. For landscape just let the level blueprint handle parameter changes.

And I haven't had a crash in ages, and I'm a 8GB RAM pleb. 4.11 fixed the memory leaks if you didn't know. I don't know about C++ but there's enough documentation for Blueprints and the wiki gets richer every day. Plus Epic is more into livestream tutorials I guess.

Also,
First of all, the idea that Installation 01 was on UE4 came from this webpage:
http://nefranius-software.weebly.com/

When i was originally typing my first post my brain had thought that these two projects were the same, though going back I found out that was incorrect. So that was a fault on my part.

Now onto what you said while butchering my post. Unity is better in the ways of Developing a game in the fact that it is much more straight forward. When you need something to do something specific, all that is required is for you (or your local coder) to write a script and drop it onto a game object. Other then writing the code, that pretty much it.
UE4 is the same way, you can select an object and simply click "add component" which gives you a large array of objects such as rotators, thrusters, particles, lights, etc etc and another button that lets you create a blueprint for that object.

However in UE4, there are more hoops you have to go through. The process of setting up a code script required more time and effort just to get the script going.
That is objectively false.

While in Unity, you can just right-click in the content browser, choose which programming language you want to use, name the file and then you are done. Then just double click on the script and start coding.

UE4 makes the programmer(s) go through this giant process of pick and choose, just to get the script file setup even before coding even happens.
That is also objectively false.

Also, UE4 (or more so Epic Games) has a notorious issue with their Documentation.

A) It's either unfinished (meaning the Community is usually in charge of figuring out exactly how something has to be done.

Or B) It's never kept up to date with the current version. So a lot of the time when coding in UE4, and you are in a new engine version, the keywords you used in the last version, don't work in the new version. And when you go to check what has been changed, most of the time it hasn't been documented yet.
You can always ask, and for the most part the docs are done. Unity however..
http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightingOverview.html
http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/AssetWorkflow.html
http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PhysicsSection.html

As compared to UE4
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/LightingAndShadows/index.html
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Actors/index.html
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/AssetCreation/index.html
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Physics/index.html

Oh, there is also this.
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/GettingStarted/FromUnity/index.html

Unity has a pretty good method down for how they do their Game Engine Business. From what I have seen, they update their documentation either before they release a new engine version, or within hours after they release it, and if not those, then they have it ready and updated. So as soon as the engine drops, they almost instantly push out the updated documentation.

Epic take their time with this, thus many users stay on the old Engine version for weeks to a month or more before they know they can properly transition over to the new engine version. This is a big problem when educational institutions are trying to teach UE4 (which I was at one that did), because when a student or teacher are trying to find something in UE4's documentation, it a lot of the time isn't there. Or it is there but there isn't enough information to properly troubleshoot the issue that is popping up.
They literally list every single change in the update notes.

And what I mean by how they structured their code is this.

In Unity, there is a centralized Class that you call from. It's called UnityEngine. This one over-arching container (and many coders sometimes put it) holds everything that relates to the engine. So from this one Class, you can then branch off and work with the classes that fall bellow.
Ofcourse, that's the container that hold everything. It's an engine afterall.

However in UE4, you have two different Classes you have to pick from. One is called Objects, and one is called Actors. So because of this figuring out which one to use can be time consuming and tedious, thus resulting in slower Game Development due to a uncertainty in what needs to go where to function properly.
Uh, false. First of all and second UE4 operates differently by having multiple classes that are specific to their own functions for optimizations such as actors, components, widgets, blackboards, etc

I'd like to point out that Unity's listed of released games (from 2014 - 2016) far surpasses that of UE4. Meaning games that have actually been released (not including TBD, Pre-Order or games that were going to be released but never did, which UE4 has a good chunk of non-released games). So that statement on how UE4 is allowing more games to be made, is not really true.
I'd like to point to steam greenlight.

Check out the UE4 list here: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Category:Games
Keep in mind that some of the games on the list that state they were released, actually never did. So either the team had set a date, but didn't meet it, or the team gave up and did other things.

Here is Unity's list of game made on their engine: https://unity3d.com/showcase/gallery/games

Even without loading another page of released games, games made with Unity far surpass games made with UE4. In the list of UE4 games, I counted 17 games that had either a day, month and year marked on them, or ones that actually said "Released". And I clicked on a few of them to find out that some of the "Released" game never actually got to into the market to be bought. So there are somewhat less the 17 games made and released on UE4.

Overall, Unity is a more used and successful engine.
Again, Greenlight.

Both their documentation and amount of content made with the engine is far better then what UE4 has to offer.
Subjective, alongside the fact that the marketplace is still relatively new and unlike Unity has a quality barrier

Sure, UE4 has fancy looking graphics, but that is because it was pre-coded by Epic games (and I think it is just a upgraded UE3 graphics plugin actually).
Ofcourse it's an upgraded UE3. It's the same people working on it. Also, I call this more pre-coded than UE4's material editor.

Which allows you to achieve these effects within said material editor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x4bKtiZom4

Unity looks rough only because it allows openness and flexibility to the Dev team. Meaning it is up to the Dev team to make it look the way they want it.
You're implying this is a benefit instead of a hassle?
Allowing more visually stylized games to come out of Unity, then UE4. UE4 is more for Semi-realistic games, and less for artistically stylized ones.
You can find stylized crap all over polycount, epic games' forums, etc.

Sure UE4 can do Cell-shading, but that just one art style. Compared to the numerous other art styles you can make a game look like.
Imagine thinking art style is an engine thing and not an artist thing.

TL;DR
You're misrepresenting UE4 and give no evidence and none of what you said is indicative of your experience inside the engine, you gives no clues or anything to even hint that you've has actually used it and the things you does specify like the "objects and actors" or the "can't do stylized" are just outright wrong. Also blueprints are a viable programming language and it is entirely possible to program a game completely with blueprints only and they are only barely minutely slower than pure C++.
Edited by Mootjuh on Apr 21, 2016 at 03:43 AM

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Apr 21, 2016 11:58 AM    Msg. 222 of 424       
Mootjuh, I am referring to dynamically editing the landscape heightmap as well as the weights that you paint on it. This is something you currently cannot do. Landscape heightmap editing can currently only be done within the UE4 editor for various complex reasons which you can find on several forum threads. There's also no quick-fix or hack you can apply in C++ to expose it right now, it'd be a significant undertaking.

As for crashes, it's not that I have it happen alot. The frequency isn't the problem, it's the consequences of losing carefully balanced parameters which you had set on your child blueprints. I've had to resort to workarounds such as using excel data-sheets to import parameters on construction of the object. Not really a bad approach, but it doesn't excuse the fact that a basic feature is quite bugged.

Another example: during the preview builds for 4.11, there was a known bug pertaining to getting "mouseX" or something on mobile devices (it might have been a different function, unsure). Problem was that it was reported as broken during the preview builds multiple times, a vital function for any game really. In 4.11 release build, it was still not fixed.

It's frustrating to see them focus on "amazing hair shaders" and not fixing the basics that need the most attention.

Once again though, do not misinterpret me saying these things as "hating on the engine". But it does have its issues and the devs are imo focusing on the wrong things at times.
In this regards its a shame they made UE4 free of charge. This means they have less of a responsibility towards previously paying customers, and now can essentially just do what they want.

Mootjuh

Posted: Apr 21, 2016 02:38 PM    Msg. 223 of 424       
I am pretty sure a workaround can be made for painting but yes editing heightmaps at runtime is something we can't.

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Apr 21, 2016 05:44 PM    Msg. 224 of 424       
For terrain painting you can currently do a laborious workaround that involves keeping track of, uh what's it called again, material parameters. You know, like floats and vectors that you can change dynamically, and then reference those inside a material.

By doing that you can slightly manipulate the terrain layer mask to say, switch from a grass texture to a dirt texture.

However, this does not work with the terrain grass tools that are based off of the painted weights. So say I change my texture from grass to dirt, but the generated grass mesh from the landscape material will remain, which is of course undesired behavior. Currently there is no way around that either, but it's been on the "todo" list of Epic since several versions ago, but never made it in. Probably a very low-demand request.

But I'm glad we got super neat realistic hair and skin shaders instead.

Mootjuh

Posted: Apr 21, 2016 06:29 PM    Msg. 225 of 424       
You just use a mix of your painted weights and the workaround as your your grass node input. There is no rule saying you have to use a layer input for it.

The only thing I can see this not working with is surface types.

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Apr 21, 2016 07:16 PM    Msg. 226 of 424       
Mootjuh, unless you are somehow talking about something entirely different here, that does not work. Go ahead and try it.

The grass generated by the landscape material node thingy is effectively static. It only does the generation of grass locations upon material compilation. I've gone to great lenghts to test this and even dabbled into the C++ source code to mess with it, with some interesting but unpractical results. It's just the way it is at this point. And if that's not enough for you, the UE4 forums have several threads about this stuff.

OrangeJuice

No patience? Then don't teach. So simple.

Posted: Apr 22, 2016 02:03 PM    Msg. 227 of 424       
It's fun seeing all of the Ce5 and Ue4 users running around in different games like firefall and stuff. And just smirking and saying you've got 10+ years experience with the HEK(and possibly every modeling and paint and sound program, ever) xD

(good luck finding a Changyou Genesis user (that engine is opensource and COMES with its sourcecode. . If you can read chinese documentation, that is. xD ))
Edited by OrangeJuice on Apr 22, 2016 at 02:08 PM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Apr 22, 2016 02:31 PM    Msg. 228 of 424       
@beanie:

The weapon depicted in this image may I see more renders of it?

TheChunkierBean

This Bean is Cooking!!

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 12:54 PM    Msg. 229 of 424       
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KpIqncbK5w

New trailer for Installation 01!

Super Flanker

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 01:20 PM    Msg. 230 of 424       
Thats nice but you didn't provide an answer to my request

Super Flanker

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 01:30 PM    Msg. 231 of 424       
Hey that isn't very nice. If the contingency guys feel they have something to show then they'll show it.

If not then you'll just have to wait patiently like the rest of us.

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 01:33 PM    Msg. 232 of 424       
sucks

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 01:55 PM    Msg. 233 of 424       
Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33
sucks

no u

midnightmodders

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 03:11 PM    Msg. 234 of 424       
Sprint and ADS........ Well there goes the Halo 1 feeling I was excited for, hopefully Glassed and Contingency do it right.

Halonimator

https://imgur.com/ZBjOJ4L

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 03:58 PM    Msg. 235 of 424       
Looks like H5 it sucks.

StormUndBlackbird

https://youtube.com/StormUndBlackbird

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 04:09 PM    Msg. 236 of 424       
Quote: --- Original message by: midnightmodders
Sprint and ADS
Togable

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 04:40 PM    Msg. 237 of 424       
All gameplay features are toggleable, also just basing it on the fact that it "looks" like Halo 5 is not a fair criticism.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 04:44 PM    Msg. 238 of 424       
Quote: --- Original message by: StormUndBlackbird
Sprint and ADS
Togable

Toggleable is a bull excuse and reeks of lazyness. Either the maps are designed to be played with something in mind, or they aren't.

While I don't believe maps need to be designed around sprint, having it as something on or off creates essentially a game with 2 sets of rules which should never happen. Some with smart scope when suddenly the game switches from an importance of precision weapons to favor more of the automatics.

midnightmodders

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 05:58 PM    Msg. 239 of 424       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Sprint and ADS
Togable

Toggleable is a bull excuse and reeks of lazyness. Either the maps are designed to be played with something in mind, or they aren't.

While I don't believe maps need to be designed around sprint, having it as something on or off creates essentially a game with 2 sets of rules which should never happen. Some with smart scope when suddenly the game switches from an importance of precision weapons to favor more of the automatics.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 06:39 PM    Msg. 240 of 424       
technically having them toggleable would be 4 versions of the game but I already talked to them and they are reviewing the idea.

Lateksi

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 01:06 PM    Msg. 241 of 424       
Pretty cool but too much AR'ing. Why did they choose to go with Halo aesthetics, I will never understand.

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 01:58 PM    Msg. 242 of 424       
Sprint and ADS
Togable

Love your new profile picture storm

Also, I've heard many times that Halo 5's multiplayer is very good, so I don't see why it's a problem to have a halo 5 multiplayer with some nostalgic throwbacks
Edited by lolslayer on Jun 6, 2016 at 02:00 PM

StormUndBlackbird

https://youtube.com/StormUndBlackbird

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 02:14 PM    Msg. 243 of 424       
Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer

Sprint and ADS
Toggable

Love your new profile picture storm

Likewise! Though I just can't scratch it off how seemingly identical yours is too

Super Flanker

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 02:18 PM    Msg. 244 of 424       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
@beanie: http://i.imgur.com/hGWtVNU.png

The weapon depicted in this image may I see more renders of it?

Broken record...............

Nickster5000

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 03:07 PM    Msg. 245 of 424       
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KpIqncbK5w

New trailer for Installation 01!

Still looks better than project contingency.

Good job guys!

Page 7 of 13 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 4 · 5 · 6 · [7] · 8 · 9 · 10 · ... · 13 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon July 15, 2019 3:08 PM 391 ms.
A Halo Maps Website