A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Machinima Forum »General Machinima Discussions »Help with Custom Animations

Author Topic: Help with Custom Animations (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

daves777

"What the Pajama Pants?"

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 10:03 AM    Msg. 1 of 9       
Hey all,
I recently started a new machinima, and would like to add some animations to the machinima not within the game engine. I originally thought I could make custom animations, set them to different keys within the engine, and record the actions in engine, but this turned out badly as HEK was a lot more complex than I thought. I eventually came to the conclusion that it would be easier to take the tags and models I need and animate them in a program I'm more familiar with, such as maya or 3ds max. I tried using HEK+ in the past, but the file always messed up.

So long story short, does anybody know how I can take tags from the game and convert them into nice, user friendly 3d models such as in .obj format(with the textures preferrably), so that I can animate and pre render video files using 3ds max or maya.

Thanks,
David
Edited by daves777 on Mar 25, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Spartan II

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 07:46 PM    Msg. 2 of 9       
You can animate the bipeds in Maya, 3DS Max or any program of your choice. You can also use the Recorded Animation Recorder, (records ingame).

Here is a tutorial on Biped Rigging:

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1985

Here is the Recorded Animation Recorder:

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5939

I hope this was helpful :)

I look forward to seeing your Machinima
Edited by Spartan II on Mar 25, 2015 at 07:46 PM
Edited by Spartan II on Mar 25, 2015 at 07:51 PM

daves777

"What the Pajama Pants?"

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 08:31 PM    Msg. 3 of 9       
Thanks for the reply, but I have a few questions

If i want to animate a biped and render within Maya, how do I import a model with the color texture of my choice, as well as the visor? Also, how do I import a model of the map file I want to use?

Spartan II

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 05:52 PM    Msg. 4 of 9       
If you want to use an existing biped, then I think, you're going to need a programme that converts existing .GBX models, into and editable format. I think that such a utility exists on the site, although I'm not sure what it is. After converting it into an editable format I think that you can import it and animate it.

As for importing a bsp, I don't think that it is really necessary, unless you want to edit the bsp or make your own. You can rip a bsp from a map, using the HEK Plus and then populate it in sapien, (ideally you should get the creators permission before using their map or tags for a machinima).

You can download the HEK Plus from here:

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2289

Let me know if you have any further questions :)

daves777

"What the Pajama Pants?"

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 03:47 AM    Msg. 5 of 9       
When I extract the scenario structure bsp, and use the bsp tag converter v2.5, it says "Some of the shaders could not be found or were corrupt. Expect missing shaders." Is there any way to fix this so that I can import the model with all of its shaders and textures?

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 10:56 AM    Msg. 6 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: daves777
When I extract the scenario structure bsp, and use the bsp tag converter v2.5, it says "Some of the shaders could not be found or were corrupt. Expect missing shaders." Is there any way to fix this so that I can import the model with all of its shaders and textures?

Use this instead.

It's main focus is to create custom lighting for bsp's but it does extract them also.

daves777

"What the Pajama Pants?"

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 11:27 AM    Msg. 7 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker

Use this instead.

It's main focus is to create custom lighting for bsp's but it does extract them also.

I think you may have forgotten to put a link :)
Edited by daves777 on Mar 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 11:28 AM    Msg. 8 of 9       

10/10 Fail - ILM

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=4312

daves777

"What the Pajama Pants?"

Posted: Mar 29, 2015 01:46 AM    Msg. 9 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker

10/10 Fail - ILM

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=4312

As soon as I click export, it says "Exporting textured mesh" for about a second and then crashes. Help?

Edit:
OK I'm having a lot of trouble, I'm hoping somebody can walk me through the steps. Could somebody read through this and tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Goal: Extract and convert tags and bsps into nice, editable 3d models with textures that can be used in 3ds max and maya for animating and rendering

Step 1: Using HEK Plus, open the map file
Step 2: Extract Scenario, bitmap, and secnario structure file
Step 3: Convert BSP to obj file
Step 4: Open in 3DS Max

Right now, I'm getting this:

When I import it, it says

Material "______________" not found

for over 26 different material files.

The model has no textures, and I don't know how to import the materials. On a side note, there IS a .mtl file, but it has 0 KB, so I assume it was not extracted correctly. Can somebody explain how I can do this?
Edited by daves777 on Mar 29, 2015 at 02:25 AM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon May 22, 2017 3:32 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website