A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo: Revolution

Page 4 of 6 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · [4] · 5 · 6 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Halo: Revolution (198 messages, Page 4 of 6)
Moderators: Dennis

EmmanuelCD

Esteban se la come

Posted: May 15, 2015 07:29 PM    Msg. 106 of 198       
Hey, Nex, hows are things going? any progress?

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: May 16, 2015 03:58 AM    Msg. 107 of 198       

EmmanuelCD

Esteban se la come

Posted: May 17, 2015 01:04 AM    Msg. 108 of 198       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F9a97si5xc

Thanks Altis, its 1 am, i will later see it

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: May 18, 2015 01:08 AM    Msg. 109 of 198       
that mag drop is really bugging me

does it have integrated antigrav tech?

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: May 18, 2015 05:33 AM    Msg. 110 of 198       
Quote: --- Original message by: BKTiel
that mag drop is really bugging me

does it have integrated antigrav tech?

Looks like helium to me.

NeX

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 04:50 PM    Msg. 111 of 198       
Updates have been scarce because of CE3 and lack of time on my part for development.

Starting to wrap things up now, here's the CE3 trailer if anyone missed it. Great job on the video Matt, I was pretty blown away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg916MfZolM
Edited by NeX on Jul 13, 2015 at 04:51 PM

MEGA_VKNG

no.

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 05:02 PM    Msg. 112 of 198       
Did you get the beam rifle I sent?

NeX

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 05:03 PM    Msg. 113 of 198       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
Did you get the beam rifle I sent?

I did man, I'm out of town at the moment, so I haven't had the chance to tinker yet.

Thanks in advance, I was gonna reply to the OC PM when I'd actually been able to open it up and all that jazz

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 05:15 PM    Msg. 114 of 198       
looking at this, the only complaints I have right now are as follows:

1. Magnum shaders look really dull
2. Valhalla looks desaturated, making it look bleh
3. Sanctuary looks really muddy

Past that I like

OrangeJuice

discord was killing the forums anyways

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 06:09 PM    Msg. 115 of 198       
Quote: Sanctuary

" Can you see the camouflaged base? "

It's too dull and the base doesn't stand out much from the dirt, or air, or the background fog itself. Sometimes 'one-to-one' ports of things just look . . terrible in halo1.

I have a feeling that the grass is too grey, the background fog is too strong, the cliffs are too grey, the tree that's on the cliff has too much grey in its leaves, SO MUCH GREY . .

I've been wanting the sourcefiles to this map so I can practice textures in it but they're never for max2014 and am just too afraid to ask
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jul 13, 2015 at 06:24 PM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 09:15 PM    Msg. 116 of 198       
or, you know, just use the BSP extractor and grab it from Z-team's map release. protected or not there's only one .scenario_structure_bsp tag and if you extract it recursively you should be set. this however is not the topic for that so i'll let you go search for alternative help

Mootjuh

Hilariously derailing oneliner

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 09:34 PM    Msg. 117 of 198       
Alternatively he could use Adjudant for just ripping the H2 BSP from the original map.

Ubermaniac

Bleach. Y'know what I mean?

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 09:39 PM    Msg. 118 of 198       
Honestly, the textures are beautifal.
BUT
for gods sake. Use a diffrent tagset, this one is terrible.

MEGA_VKNG

no.

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 10:08 PM    Msg. 119 of 198       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ubermaniac
Honestly, the textures are beautifal.
BUT
for gods sake. Use a diffrent tagset, this one is terrible.

Looks fine to me.

Ubermaniac

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 10:30 PM    Msg. 120 of 198       
I just really don't like the feel/asthetic of it. Stick to one tagset, not multiple.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 08:09 AM    Msg. 121 of 198       
Stick to one tagset, not multiple.

/\

NeX

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 09:18 AM    Msg. 122 of 198       
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to justify that with any kind of meaningful response, because my reasons have already been made crystal clear, many times. It's one unified tagset that happens to draw from many sources for models, because I don't make my own. Period.

None of these weapons have ripped properties, everything has been changed, down to individual projectiles, firing sounds, blah blah blah. If you look at this and play it and all you can see is "oh hur dur dats uh Haylo Reich magnm modul", then that problem is entirely your own.

As it is, this tagset is more dynamic and balanced for gameplay than the vast majority that I could use, and I'm not going to completely rework the entire tagset because you think it looks "mixed up". I would sooner cancel it.

I enjoy getting critique, when it's constructive. That is not constructive, nor is it even an educated opinion. It's simply "I doent like dis", which is your prerogative, but don't expect me to give a sht.

Other critique: yes, I will definitely be revisiting the shaders for sanctuary, I think the biggest culprit is in fact the fog on the level being too strong. I wanted it to get that "misty jungle mountain" and humid feel to it, but I think I shot myself in the foot a little bit because it definitely de-saturates everything from a distance. Some of the mossy rock textures are a little bit busy as well, and look like someone got happy with MSPaint spraypainting tool. Luckily all of the delta-style maps share those textures to some extent, so revisiting all of them will touch several maps at once.

Valhalla looking desaturated....I guess I don't see it. Metal is grey/tan, rock is grey. Water is bright blue, grass is a dark green, sky is a nice bright blue as well, along with the contrasts of the trees and vegetation. There are a lot of colors going on there, so if you could be more specific on what you think would fix the desaturation you're seeing, I will definitely take a closer look. I have debated revisiting the rocks to maybe a light-sandstone type feel, maybe even red rock BG/creek style, but neither of those are really "clicking" to me.

Magnum shaders have been redone since the video (along with a lot of other updates I'll post here soon), I'll post the newer ones to see if you think it still needs more touching up.

In life news, I currently have a broken power system at my apartment with a breaker malfunction, exams coming up for summer classes, and a completely totaled car whose timing belt decided 20k miles since the last replacement was the ideal time to break, shredding my engine (bent valves, etc). So for right now, this is taking a big back seat to real life

Super Flanker

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 09:22 AM    Msg. 123 of 198       
Quote: --- Original message by: NeX
I and a completely totaled car whose timing belt decided 20k miles since the last replacement was the ideal time to break, shredding my engine (bent valves, etc). So for right now, this is taking a big back seat to real life

Should have bought a prius.

No but really that sucks. Hope you get your self back on track soon.

Ubermaniac

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 04:08 PM    Msg. 124 of 198       
You want constructive criticism?
The asthetic looks very mixed up. The balance of the weapons is ok, excluding the carbine, which is a bit OP.
The weapon models, excluding the pistol, RL, FRC, and Aa couple others, look bad.
You need more weapons, not sure of your gonna add those in.
e.g Battle rifle.
I'm busy now, I'll say more (and correct my grammar) later.
Thanks.

NeX

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 04:37 PM    Msg. 125 of 198       
You want constructive criticism?

Sure, but usually replies starting with a phrase like that lead to childish attempts to rile someone up. I guess we'll see!

The asthetic looks very mixed up.

Opinion, and one you're entitled to. All the weapons share an art style, but if you can't see it, I'm not going to try to explain it.

The balance of the weapons is ok, excluding the carbine, which is a bit OP.

Based on.....what? The released beta pack? Absolutely awful, which is why it was a beta. Everything has had heavy updates since then, even since the CE3 trailer. You're making yourself look ignorant, and you're making your argument based on outdated information, and trying to throw it into my face (like a child) as if I'm going to get angry.

The weapon models, excluding the pistol, RL, FRC, and Aa couple others, look bad.

As I've stated before, I don't model. If the weapon models look bad, there's literally nothing I can do about that. That being said, CMT, Altis, Bourrin, and Bungie might disagree. I'm not trying to 'appeal to authority', but go flame them if you want different models.
This is also a good definition of being quite childish.

You need more weapons, not sure of your gonna add those in.
e.g Battle rifle.
I'm busy now, I'll say more (and correct my grammar) later.
Thanks.

e.g. there is a battle rifle in the trailer. That alone tells me one (or both) of two things:

either

1) You didn't even watch the trailer to form the basis of your 'constructive criticism' and simply proceeded to try and poke/prod with old material which is fine, enjoy yourself

or

2) You are deliberately attempting to get a rise out of me for the sole purpose of your own amusement.

Either way, or both, this is humorous.

Look at R93's post for a good guideline of constructive criticism. Short, succinct, accurate, with a sprinkling of opinion. I could say that he's bonkers and has no clue what he's talking about and keep everything the same disregarding his opinion entirely. However, given his reputation and works he's completed in the past, I'm inclined to have a very VERY open ear to his suggestions. Even on his point I 100% disagreed with, I stated why I disagreed, provided details to backup the claim, followed by a request to him for clarification so that I can hear his suggestions out to their entirety rather than dismissing them after a difference in opinion.

On the other hand, lets look at your post, as well as your reputation and the work you've completed in the past.

Now do you see why I'm disinclined to respect your opinion as anything more than a belligerent child?

In short:

But I'm sure this post will go in one ear and out the other, and you'll soon be back clamoring on about how awful everything is and how I should just kill myself and stop modding altogether.
Edited by NeX on Jul 14, 2015 at 04:39 PM

General_101

Apparently all I post is spam.

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 04:50 PM    Msg. 126 of 198       
Is this butthurt central or something? Will you just shut up if you find it pointless or whatever unless you want people to tell you to go kill yourself. You just called him a child but look at how you are acting. I know it isn't nice to be talked down to by people who don't know what they are talking about but really?

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 05:21 PM    Msg. 127 of 198       
Just ignore them NeX.
And keep on doing what you're doing.

NeX

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 05:30 PM    Msg. 128 of 198       
I guess clarifying what is and isn't constructive criticism (and what IS trolling for its own sake) is being butthurt.

Then sure, I guess I am so butthurt. Supra. Supra butthurted.

OrangeJuice

discord was killing the forums anyways

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 05:30 PM    Msg. 129 of 198       
Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
Just ignore them NeX.
And keep on doing what you're doing.

^ that.

Don't choose such insincere reasons to make things, do it for yourself. Pandering to your audience is mighty close to not caring what your work means to you <
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jul 14, 2015 at 05:35 PM

General_101

Apparently all I post is spam.

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 07:09 PM    Msg. 130 of 198       
I guess clarifying what is and isn't constructive criticism (and what IS trolling for its own sake) is being butthurt.

Then sure, I guess I am so butthurt. Supra. Supra butthurted.

You posted an entire paragraph, told him to grow up, and then posted a meme when all you had to say is I don't agree and I will not change my work for you. How about going outside for a bit instead of blasting people for their stupid opinions?

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jul 15, 2015 04:59 AM    Msg. 131 of 198       
yes, I will definitely be revisiting the shaders for sanctuary, I think the biggest culprit is in fact the fog on the level being too strong. I wanted it to get that "misty jungle mountain" and humid feel to it, but I think I shot myself in the foot a little bit because it definitely de-saturates everything from a distance. Some of the mossy rock textures are a little bit busy as well, and look like someone got happy with MSPaint spraypainting tool. Luckily all of the delta-style maps share those textures to some extent, so revisiting all of them will touch several maps at once.

I was talking more about the fact that most of the stone textures look like there's a ridiculous overgrowth of moss everywhere. While I can see the aesthetic you're trying to go for, It doesn't feel as well executed. Given that could be just by the resolution of the textures or me just saying stuff, but something about the way sanctuary looks is really throwing me off.

Quote: Valhalla looking desaturated....I guess I don't see it. Metal is grey/tan, rock is grey. Water is bright blue, grass is a dark green, sky is a nice bright blue as well, along with the contrasts of the trees and vegetation. There are a lot of colors going on there, so if you could be more specific on what you think would fix the desaturation you're seeing, I will definitely take a closer look. I have debated revisiting the rocks to maybe a light-sandstone type feel, maybe even red rock BG/creek style, but neither of those are really "clicking" to me.

Actually, the rocks and the grass are what I have to complain about. The water and sky are fine but the grass looks like the really grungy desaturated grass from reach which felt like it was lacking life. It looks like almost dead grass as opposed to lush grass (I think this might help you see what I mean) which makes it feel desaturated. The rock might balance out with a better grass texture but that's probably all I have to say. I'm also not saying desaturated by comparison to the other parts of the map, I'm simply talking about the general color of the map

Quote: Magnum shaders have been redone since the video (along with a lot of other updates I'll post here soon), I'll post the newer ones to see if you think it still needs more touching up.

If you're doing OS shaders, I actually made pretty decent Magnum shaders using the reach model for OSS. I could send those your way if you'd like

Look at R93's post for a good guideline of constructive criticism. Short, succinct, accurate, with a sprinkling of opinion. I could say that he's bonkers and has no clue what he's talking about and keep everything the same disregarding his opinion entirely. However, given his reputation and works he's completed in the past, I'm inclined to have a very VERY open ear to his suggestions. Even on his point I 100% disagreed with, I stated why I disagreed, provided details to backup the claim, followed by a request to him for clarification so that I can hear his suggestions out to their entirety rather than dismissing them after a difference in opinion.

Uhh....Hold up a sec now what? I have a reputation for being something better than a shameless ripper? I mean I know I voice my opinion very frequently but I had no idea people actually took what I said seriously!
Edited by R93_Sniper on Jul 15, 2015 at 05:02 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Jul 15, 2015 01:45 PM    Msg. 132 of 198       
Er mah gawd u guys and ur opinionz.

Btw this has probably been mentioned before but I was likely too stupid to see it what REV maps have been completed if any and can I have links?

NeX

Posted: Jul 15, 2015 01:56 PM    Msg. 133 of 198       
Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
Btw this has probably been mentioned before but I was likely too stupid to see it what REV maps have been completed if any and can I have links?

None other than the betas (old af) exist, even then only on HAC2. I don't like distributing downloads in public venues because leaks and annoying stuff like that.

I occasionally have game nights where I will test a single (or several) maps, but those haven't and won't happen for a while. I'm crazy busy with life now, and I will probably take a step back from this for a bit to do a little work with SOI_7, hopefully it'll give me some new perspective and I can wrap up this project by fall semester.

I'm debating using OS .map files with a shared cache for size constraints (because OS .maps are also limited to 128MB lmfao is this 1990?), but I've never done it and I may not bother since it's just more work for me.

EmmanuelCD

Esteban se la come

Posted: Jul 15, 2015 02:26 PM    Msg. 134 of 198       
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to justify that with any kind of meaningful response, because my reasons have already been made crystal clear, many times. It's one unified tagset that happens to draw from many sources for models, because I don't make my own. Period.

None of these weapons have ripped properties, everything has been changed, down to individual projectiles, firing sounds, blah blah blah. If you look at this and play it and all you can see is "oh hur dur dats uh Haylo Reich magnm modul", then that problem is entirely your own.

As it is, this tagset is more dynamic and balanced for gameplay than the vast majority that I could use, and I'm not going to completely rework the entire tagset because you think it looks "mixed up". I would sooner cancel it.

I enjoy getting critique, when it's constructive. That is not constructive, nor is it even an educated opinion. It's simply "I doent like dis", which is your prerogative, but don't expect me to give a sht.

Other critique: yes, I will definitely be revisiting the shaders for sanctuary, I think the biggest culprit is in fact the fog on the level being too strong. I wanted it to get that "misty jungle mountain" and humid feel to it, but I think I shot myself in the foot a little bit because it definitely de-saturates everything from a distance. Some of the mossy rock textures are a little bit busy as well, and look like someone got happy with MSPaint spraypainting tool. Luckily all of the delta-style maps share those textures to some extent, so revisiting all of them will touch several maps at once.

Valhalla looking desaturated....I guess I don't see it. Metal is grey/tan, rock is grey. Water is bright blue, grass is a dark green, sky is a nice bright blue as well, along with the contrasts of the trees and vegetation. There are a lot of colors going on there, so if you could be more specific on what you think would fix the desaturation you're seeing, I will definitely take a closer look. I have debated revisiting the rocks to maybe a light-sandstone type feel, maybe even red rock BG/creek style, but neither of those are really "clicking" to me.

Magnum shaders have been redone since the video (along with a lot of other updates I'll post here soon), I'll post the newer ones to see if you think it still needs more touching up.

In life news, I currently have a broken power system at my apartment with a breaker malfunction, exams coming up for summer classes, and a completely totaled car whose timing belt decided 20k miles since the last replacement was the ideal time to break, shredding my engine (bent valves, etc). So for right now, this is taking a big back seat to real life

Looks Fine, theres any other pics?

I wasnt during the beta

NeX

Posted: Jul 21, 2015 09:19 PM    Msg. 135 of 198       
Ok u wankers. U ask'd...

...Sauce?

Kinnet

Don't feed the hand that bites you.

Posted: Jul 21, 2015 09:23 PM    Msg. 136 of 198       
just a question?
did you find a replace for the plasma cannon with overheat aniamation? because i have one wich is the same model but uses the h1 animations and fits with your shaders (the beta ones)

NeX

Posted: Jul 21, 2015 09:29 PM    Msg. 137 of 198       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
just a question?
did you find a replace for the plasma cannon with overheat aniamation? because i have one wich is the same model but uses the h1 animations and fits with your shaders (the beta ones)

I'm still debating what to do with it. I like the model, so if you're willing to PM me (or just post here) the files, I'd be happy to take a look. I'm very open minded with what I use, if there's something better out there, then there is rarely a reason not to use it. Fk the "hur dur ripz" opinions. Better is subjective, just because it's custom doesn't mean jack diddly :P

Kinnet

Don't feed the hand that bites you.

Posted: Jul 21, 2015 10:09 PM    Msg. 138 of 198       
"Mines"

Yours

I'm gonna post them here, so anyone can have them, they were made by a friend called: Rodolfo Diaz (that isn't me).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tdtebfdbpaa5n14/plasma+cannon+cea+model+%26+animations_3.rar
Edited by Kinnet on Jul 21, 2015 at 10:17 PM

NeX

Posted: Jul 22, 2015 12:02 PM    Msg. 139 of 198       
Nice! I'll plug it in and take a look when I get home today

Wheatley

Wheatley

Posted: Jul 23, 2015 12:38 AM    Msg. 140 of 198       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet

"Mines"

http://i57.tinypic.com/9s9blx.jpg

Yours

http://i57.tinypic.com/2hi08yh.jpg

I'm gonna post them here, so anyone can have them, they were made by a friend called: Rodolfo Diaz (that isn't me).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tdtebfdbpaa5n14/plasma+cannon+cea+model+%26+animations_3.rar
Edited by Kinnet on Jul 21, 2015 at 10:17 PM

HALLO!!
Edited by Wheatley on Jul 23, 2015 at 12:39 AM

Page 4 of 6 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · [4] · 5 · 6 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon October 23, 2017 11:23 AM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website