A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo: Revolution

Page 5 of 6 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · [5] · 6 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Halo: Revolution (203 messages, Page 5 of 6)
Moderators: Dennis

Wheatley

Wheatley

Posted: Jul 23, 2015 12:38 AM    Msg. 141 of 203       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet

"Mines"

http://i57.tinypic.com/9s9blx.jpg

Yours

http://i57.tinypic.com/2hi08yh.jpg

I'm gonna post them here, so anyone can have them, they were made by a friend called: Rodolfo Diaz (that isn't me).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tdtebfdbpaa5n14/plasma+cannon+cea+model+%26+animations_3.rar
Edited by Kinnet on Jul 21, 2015 at 10:17 PM

¡¡HALLO!!
Edited by Wheatley on Jul 23, 2015 at 12:39 AM

BA TomBoy

breathtaking

Posted: Jul 23, 2015 10:09 AM    Msg. 142 of 203       
Nexus Nex Onix lol xd Hi how are you http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=48002 you must be the one who build all those incredible maps,sooo are they out ?....:P\Anyway doesnt matter if they arent out,So....how things goes on there? Is everything alright ?Do you like ur work?,cz i find it nice ..Wish i could have a simple goal instead of having more and complex,well wish you best of luck with what you working on and hope you succeed Hey and keep ur head up always.Dont let anything let you down,Life Knock us down but we can chooce whether or not get back up
Edited by BA TomBoy on Jul 23, 2015 at 11:32 AM
Edited by BA TomBoy on Jul 23, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Super Flanker

I bet you taste good at night.

Posted: Jul 24, 2015 07:24 AM    Msg. 143 of 203       
Quote: --- Original message by: BA TomBoy

Nexus Nex Onix lol xd Hi how are you http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=48002 you must be the one who build all those incredible maps,sooo are they out ?....:P\Anyway doesnt matter if they arent out,So....how things goes on there? Is everything alright ?Do you like ur work?,cz i find it nice ..Wish i could have a simple goal instead of having more and complex,well wish you best of luck with what you working on and hope you succeed Hey and keep ur head up always.Dont let anything let you down,Life Knock us down but we can chooce whether or not get back up
Edited by BA TomBoy on Jul 23, 2015 at 11:32 AM
Edited by BA TomBoy on Jul 23, 2015 at 11:34 AM

whut.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jul 26, 2015 12:52 AM    Msg. 144 of 203       
All of his posts are like that.
Every single one of them are barely discernible.

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Jul 26, 2015 04:58 AM    Msg. 145 of 203       
It takes effort to mask your message in such an illegible format.

NeX

Posted: Sep 20, 2015 02:21 PM    Msg. 146 of 203       
MEGA BUMP

Final Testing Release

This semester is crazy for me time wise, and I will not have time to spend on any of this. I also have a few obligations to other projects, so it was time to get this out the door (sorry SOI, I feel like a båstard for how long its taken for me to get your stuff back to you).

CE3 testing went pretty well, and I had some good feedback from testers. I have balanced thigs accordingly, replaced a few visual aspects (models and such) and compiled all the changes into any map that was already 95%+ completed. There are still about 10 maps in various stages of completion that didn't make this cut, which is fine.

The goal of this release is to get a long-term feedback of gameplay, basically another "beta" test. I figured since nothing was moving forward until after this semester at a minimum, the best use of the time would be to just release it and get some feel for what needs changed or improved, in the event that I have time to make a proper final release.

New in this version from the previous crappy beta release (overview):

• Shaders redone for everything. I made a completely new cubemap designed to replicate a faux-specular without the need for bogging everything down with OS. I think it turned out pretty well. Masters1337 put it perfectly when he said the environments were great but the assets didn't do them justice. Hopefully I've rectified this as much as possible.

• Endless hours of work on improving bitmaps and environment graphics.

• Added a few new weapons to the mix, and replaced some models for others

• Rebalanced many aspects of combat, from damage to bleed and even some melees and grenade impacts

• Fixed dynamic blood (a little at least) so that it's not so ridiculous

• Improved footstep material effects[*/]
  • Utilized the Requiem/CMT HD Mark V Master Chief model in leiu of that god-awful H4 monstrosity. This had an added benefit of increasing framerates by about 10 FPS for my laptop's NVIDIA 745M (my desktop's GTX 970 doesn't give a dåmn), which should help tremendously for those who have a simpler gaming setup.

• Thanks to Altis, the FP arms for spartan or elite now sync with your current player biped. The server-side script isn't fantastic, but if you're an elite, your FP arms are elites as well, and so on. It really helps keep the immersion.

To get into specifics, I'll start with the rebalancing of weapons:

• Needler is no longer grossly OP. Damage is still high, but tracking has been reduced to a reasonable angle.

• Carbine now functions as it should, a sort of throwback to H2/H3 style gameplay.

• DMR and BR have been added to fill out the mid-long range options for various maps. No map currently has all 3 of these weapons (Carbine/DMR/BR) in a single map (that I know of), and no one starts with one.

• Human pistol is not a stupidly OP hand-cannon. It's a 7sk, with auto and rapid semi-auto firing. It's a good MQC weapon for the accuracy, but you cannot fall back on it for 75% of situations like you could with classic Combat Evolved. You'll need to diversify your loadout and utilize weapons according to situations.

• Shotgun has a tighter spread, making it more effective in CQC and even to short-medium distances. If I shoot you from less than 5 meters, you probably will die. Loading time is longer, time between shots is longer, and these compensations make it fit nicely into the tagset.

• Plasma grenade timers have been cut in half. They are actually viable for their explosions rather than only their attachment properties.

• Spartans and Elites now have reduced fall damage, increased running/crouching speeds, and increased jump height. It imitates H2/H3 jump heights, with more risk of fall damage, and takes the increased running speed from H5 inspirations. All trick jumps and proper map routes are now accessible for the remakes of H2/H3 maps (think Valhalla, Lockout, Sanctuary). Thanks to (SBB)Mike for bringing those to my attention shortly after the release of the last beta.

• TTK is a little lower, and from what I've seen and played, gameplay pace is much faster on smaller maps, teamwork is more essential, lone-wolfing works less often, and big team battle maps are fantastically fun.

THIS PACK CONSISTS OF 26 MAPS

• Beavercreek (Sali BSP)

• Carousel (BlackCrypt BSP)

• Delta Dåmnation (Shout out to Dalek, this is the premier for his map which he gave me for this project!)

• Delta Ruins (revamp BSP)

• Delta station

• Dichotomy

• Downrush (H1.5)

• Fortress

• Gridiron (PopeAK's original beta BSP)

• Hang 'em High (Leggester BSP)

• Icefields

• Immure

• Lockout

• Midship (Heretic BSP)

• Paradox

• Prisoner

• Ratrace

• Portent

• Sanctuary (Mix of Zteam and CMT)

• Shockwave

• Snowcast

• Snowed In

• Tensity (CMT BSP)

• Trench (H3 Trench BSP)

• Valhalla

• Wizard

All maps are available on HAC2, and there are currently 3 servers running provided by "The Cave Dwellers" at these IP addresses:

192.99.144.73:2365
192.99.144.73:2390
192.99.144.73:2395

Krazy1 and Iggy are the server hosts, and the servers will likely be under constant development and changes, but please pop by and have a few games.

Final note: I barely have enough time to make the posts about these now that the maps are up and ready, so I sure didn't have time to get any screenshots. Many of the OP screenshots are old, and aren't going to be 100% accurate. Feel free to post screenies here if you want. I may/may not have time to check this thread daily, if you need anything you're much more likely to find me over at OpenCarnage.net

Thanks guys, it's been fun. Hope you enjoy playing these as much as I've had tweaking them.

Please see me for credits, I have a list but it's massive. I'll organize it as much as I can soon and release what I have. If you think it's absolutely imperative that your name be pasted here, let me know. Most of the tags I've used recently have their original tag names kept where possible to provide credit in the map itself, but the further back you go the less likely this is to be true.

As always, all of these maps are 100% unprotected and open-source. If you would like any of the original .TIF files for bitmaps I'll see what I can do.

I wish this was a prettier and more "flashy" post, but hey.

Kinnet

Xfire: kinnet_zero69

Posted: Sep 20, 2015 02:36 PM    Msg. 147 of 203       
OMG downloading right now

TheHaloKnight

Posted: Sep 20, 2015 03:40 PM    Msg. 148 of 203       
small bug
dirt comes out of health pack :v, i was going to tell you about this since last beta release, but i thought you fixed it.

NeX

Posted: Sep 20, 2015 03:56 PM    Msg. 149 of 203       
Quote: --- Original message by: TheHaloKnight
small bug
dirt comes out of health pack :v, i was going to tell you about this since last beta release, but i thought you fixed it.

haha. Can't say I've actively shot at a health pack :P

Spiral

I hope i'm out of the way

Posted: Sep 20, 2015 04:51 PM    Msg. 150 of 203       
Here are some screenshots

Portent's snow was 0 fun.
0/10 Elite function not working. Would not play until that is fixed.
But seriously this was pretty fun. The separation of maps between servers kinda sucks. It splits the players.

Super Flanker

Posted: Sep 21, 2015 05:33 AM    Msg. 151 of 203       
Those maps. Oh my god those maps.

NeX

Posted: Sep 21, 2015 10:20 AM    Msg. 152 of 203       
I have to say I actually like the portent snow. It's actually the same tag (IIRC) that snowcast uses. It's supposed to act as an atmospheric/ambient theme for the feel of the map, but also is supposed to limit visibility for hyper-long range a bit, so that the longer range weapons aren't the dominant play style all the time. I can easily dial it back, but keep in mind it wouldn't be until the final release - probably several months at minimum.

I'll keep this in mind, more opinions would be welcomed though. If enough people have issue with it and think it's truly game-breaking, I'll acquiesce and tweak it to more of a flurry than a blizzard.

I'll be updating the update post with more info about the hosted servers. The_Cave definitely could use some donations and publicity as they're hosting all of these servers for me free of charge (which is awesome!). As a group they definitely deserve some help

The_Purrminator

(SBB) Michelle

Posted: Sep 21, 2015 11:05 AM    Msg. 153 of 203       
I really like what you're doing and I think you should keep it up, even though releasing so many maps makes it harder to track down issues.

Time for complaining (These come from me and some people from SBB that I played with):

The Portent snow is NO, it actually gives me headaches. If you wanna limit visibility you can use walls like portent does or atmospheric fog.

The maps look noisy, did you set the detail map's bitmap type to detail map? 'cuz you should.

About weapons:

The pistol sucks super hard, 7sk is a no go on a 12 round mag. Look at other halos, you are always able to get at least two kills per mag with bullet weapons, and there is always a little bit of room for mistake. In reach and Halo 5 the pistol was 5sk because of that, so you can get 2 kills with 10 bullets and are allowed 2 mistake shots for that to happen.

About it being meant as a side weapon: If you spawn with it as your only weapon it simply is not allowed to be a side arm.

Same with the ar, it should be 13sk not the 17 it is now.

The Carbine is slow, idk if this is intentional, but it feels like a dmr.

The cmt br actually fires automatically when used in mp because the does not automatically repeat breaks when heat becomes a thing. I would suggest making it fire slower because of this but more accurate (4sk pls)

I also suggest testing your weapons on moving targets, I made the fault of trying them on stationary bipeds before and I actually made a 7sk pistol at one time too, bad really bad(I have beta tests behind me where that was the major complaint for my maps).

Now for gameplay:

I don't know what your biped jump velocity is, but it should be 0.09 if you wanna emulate h2/h3.

Now for the running speed, I see why you may like the idea of having Halo 5 like running speed but these maps were made to not have someone constantly sprint trough it but slower more planned combat. If you look at Halo 5 you'll also see that all the maps are way bigger than these. If you speed up the pace the player runs at they will run into combat way more frequent than ever intended, it really feels like sprint but constant which is bad.

Shaders:

I like the specular effect on some weapons but on others it just fails.

Most noticeable on the pistol and sniper. I suggest using the Halo 1 pistol shader settings and cubemap for it, trust me it looks nice. You can try the same for the shinier parts of the sniper.

Models:
I strongly suggest you take Megasean's gift of the dreamweb carbine as it's the same carbine you are using now but it isn't see trough when reloading. you can fix the shaders if you want.

Time to complain about the server:

Why the hell would someone kick you out of a vehicle for camping when it's a stationary vehicle (turret). Also why do you nades get removed when you "nade spam" if you weren't mean to trow them you wouldn't have been able to.

Sorry that this is all complaining, but I think most good stuff has been said 82490348 times.

I hope I can play it some more as last time the hac2 servers were just dying.

NeX

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 07:34 AM    Msg. 154 of 203       
I'll comment back when I have some free time - I appreciate all the feedback guys, I really do.

In the meantime, here's a link for donations to help keep the 3 (and other) servers up that are hosted by The_Cave:

paypal.me/HaloCaveDwellersFund

Their forums are at

http://halocave.tk/

Without them this project likely would have died a few months back!

The_Purrminator

(SBB) Michelle

Posted: Sep 24, 2015 03:59 PM    Msg. 155 of 203       
I might host the maps for free, along with some of my and other people's favorites.

MasterChefBestChefEver

First spartan that can cook better than you!

Posted: Oct 7, 2015 07:04 PM    Msg. 156 of 203       
When I enter ip address it says invalid address!?

MasterChefBestChefEver

First spartan that can cook better than you!

Posted: Oct 7, 2015 09:33 PM    Msg. 157 of 203       
I also play console. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NeX

Posted: Oct 8, 2015 03:20 PM    Msg. 158 of 203       
Thanks to 002's Glazed Doughnut program, an easily made patch was applied to servers to adjust weapon balance and gameplay issues you guys and others have brought to my attention.

• Assault Rifle Buff

• Carbine Buff (temporary until ROF increase in final)

• Pistol Buff

• Bug fix for elites - sniper bullets dealt 2x damage to elite shields, this is fixed.

• Shotgun Nerf (slight)

All the servers listed in the release post there have the patch applied.

Playing as elites has been fixed for all those servers as well, and it shouldn't crash randomly (I made a stupid mistake in the SAPP script for biped switching when writing to an IP log file for remembering player prefs).

You should be able to leave the server, and return to that server while keeping your spawn preferences (elite/spartan). I may have update it to have all of these servers keep a single spawn log for IPs, so your preference is applied and updated across all of these servers, but I don't have the time atm.

Thanks to SBB Mike and Megasean for the assets, I will absolutely be trading UP in terms of quality.

In personal news, I filled out my semester this year with a fluff intro to web development class, so I'll be making a (probably crappy) website about the project, where all of its history will be contained, as well as current gameplay stats, a gallery, and some other stuff.
Edited by NeX on Oct 8, 2015 at 03:20 PM

EmmanuelCD

Using fox avatar since 1893

Posted: Oct 8, 2015 06:33 PM    Msg. 159 of 203       
How its posible i didnt know this?

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Oct 8, 2015 07:41 PM    Msg. 160 of 203       
So far it looks nice. I've been away far too long, due to a job promotion and not enough time to play. I'm back now and I will definitely test out your latest builds and give you a full on review if you want. I enjoyed them when we did the CE3 test, I'm hoping to see a lot more improvements.

NeX

Posted: Oct 9, 2015 11:49 AM    Msg. 161 of 203       
Quote: --- Original message by: Slayer117
So far it looks nice. I've been away far too long, due to a job promotion and not enough time to play. I'm back now and I will definitely test out your latest builds and give you a full on review if you want. I enjoyed them when we did the CE3 test, I'm hoping to see a lot more improvements.

I would really appreciate that. So far I've had quite a bit to think about with the latest builds, and another trained eye would be fantastic. We occasionally (usually on weekends, possibly tonight/tomorrow) have a game night where we run through a handful of maps for a few hours, mainly team slayer/ctf games to keep it less chaotic.

The beauty of glazed doughnut is that I can edit a map with (server applicable) changes, and GD will cross check it with the original and spit out a SAPP script that works as a patch for all maps (or individually if need be).

So while the carbine ROF needs increased, doing that server side only won't work. But damage effects, starting ammo, clip size, that stuff can easily be put into a patch so that I can work towards a better system while testing the whole way, rather than trying to push out a whole other set of updated maps for another round of testing.

Super Flanker

Posted: Oct 9, 2015 12:13 PM    Msg. 162 of 203       
Quote: --- Original message by: NeX
Quote: --- Original message by: Slayer117

I would really appreciate that. So far I've had quite a bit to think about with the latest builds, and another trained eye would be fantastic. We occasionally (usually on weekends, possibly tonight/tomorrow) have a game night where we run through a handful of maps for a few hours, mainly team slayer/ctf games to keep it less chaotic.

The beauty of glazed doughnut is that I can edit a map with (server applicable) changes, and GD will cross check it with the original and spit out a SAPP script that works as a patch for all maps (or individually if need be).

So while the carbine ROF needs increased, doing that server side only won't work. But damage effects, starting ammo, clip size, that stuff can easily be put into a patch so that I can work towards a better system while testing the whole way, rather than trying to push out a whole other set of updated maps for another round of testing.

Link for glazed doughnut? Sounds to good to ignore.

The Kingx

ᕙ༼ ಠ益ಠ༽ᕗ

Posted: Oct 9, 2015 01:27 PM    Msg. 163 of 203       

NeX

Posted: Oct 9, 2015 02:50 PM    Msg. 164 of 203       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Kingx
Here

Dont be a dick

http://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/5163-glazed-doughnut/

Super Flanker

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 10:21 AM    Msg. 165 of 203       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Kingx
Here

͡° ͜ʖ ͡ -

Thanks, Both of you.
Edited by SS Flanker on Oct 10, 2015 at 10:22 AM

ChieftainSnipe

I like Halo with Controllers

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 09:56 PM    Msg. 166 of 203       
I'm not kidding, but for the weapons bullet material effect collision (whatever the hell you wanna call it) when you shoot a sniper rifle and covenant carbine, dirt comes out of it while they spin so it has to be changed to hard metal.

NeX

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 10:39 PM    Msg. 167 of 203       
Quote: --- Original message by: ChieftainSnipe
I'm not kidding, but for the weapons bullet material effect collision (whatever the hell you wanna call it) when you shoot a sniper rifle and covenant carbine, dirt comes out of it while they spin so it has to be changed to hard metal.

Noted. Thanks for the info.

Update news, I'm working on getting a zombies script for SAPP up and running. Most (a few I missed) maps have a modified version of Altis' playable flood biped in them, so zombies would be Elites/Spartans vs Flood. Currently working on getting everything playable. Will update when it's finished with server info
Edited by NeX on Oct 10, 2015 at 10:41 PM

t3h m00kz
-banned for profanity-

I know what you did

Posted: Oct 11, 2015 03:52 AM    Msg. 168 of 203       
I was wondering where these came from. I started downloading them with HAC2 and playing them, and I was like, "who the f made these"

These maps are all visually stunning. They have fantastic effects, animations, sound fx. It came out of nowhere and I'm pleasantly surprised people are putting so much effort into a mod. Everything from the amount of detail in the bitmaps to the satisfying kick of the sniper rifle feels fantastic.

I do however want to offer some critiques/concerns.

---

First and foremost is the weapon balance/functionality/design. I'm VERY MUCH A STICKLER about this kind of stuff. While the recoil, effects, damn near everything about them is impressive, there's some balance issues I feel ought to be considered.

-General
Is everything hitscan?? I can't tell, but I hope not. Hitscan weapons are extremely annoying. Halo CE and 3 pride themselves on realistic bullet velocities (pistol bullet travels remarkably close to the speed of a real 50cal round). Leading shots adds a huge amount of depth to the game. Considering SAPP has improved shot registration, I'd suggest more realistic projectile velocities.

- M6D
I'm not certain why you went with a crazy full-auto design on this. I wouldn't have changed this as drastically as you have. The 3 shot kill has always been an extremely skillful, extremely satisfying part of the Pistol. I'd much rather more classic functionality out of this.

-BR
It fires super fast and spammy and doesn't require any pacing of shots. I'm uncertain how many bursts it takes to kill, but I'd hope it's a case of "If every shot lands from 4 bursts, the last being a headshot, it's a kill."

-Shotgun
The range on this is ridiculous.. Which I'm honestly kind of OK with. It's super satisfying to use. That being the case, I'd honestly treat it more like a power weapon when placing it around maps. I'd also consider lowering the ammo count, considering it's 1-hit kill potential.

---

The announcer is another point of critique I want to offer. This is just me personally, but I absolutely despise the Halo 4 announcer. Perhaps I'm a purist in love with the original trilogy, but I'd much rather hear Halo 3's slow, serious tone.

Halo 4 "Infinity Slayer"
https://youtu.be/8fndFX0g4rk?t=13s

Halo 3 "Slayer"
https://youtu.be/-KSyBkbOUMw?t=12s

---

The Reticules on precision weapons are EXTREMELY difficult to see. I'd bump up the width of them by at least 2-3 times.

---

That's about all I've got. Great job, keep it up.

Edited by t3h m00kz on Oct 11, 2015 at 04:03 AM

NeX

Posted: Oct 11, 2015 07:53 PM    Msg. 169 of 203       
Quote: --- Original message by: t3h m00kz
-General
Is everything hitscan?? I can't tell, but I hope not. Hitscan weapons are extremely annoying. Halo CE and 3 pride themselves on realistic bullet velocities (pistol bullet travels remarkably close to the speed of a real 50cal round). Leading shots adds a huge amount of depth to the game. Considering SAPP has improved shot registration, I'd suggest more realistic projectile velocities.

I appreciate the stickler-ness, these were designed first and foremost for gameplay and design, but as I'm sure you know these things take a LOT of testing and feedback to get correct.

Everything is absolutely NOT hitscan, in fact the velocities of bullets are very close to their original counterparts, if not identical in most cases. With so many weapons, I can't give you exact numbers, but that is one of my biggest beefs with modern games is the hitscanning/laser-gun crap.

- M6D
I'm not certain why you went with a crazy full-auto design on this. I wouldn't have changed this as drastically as you have. The 3 shot kill has always been an extremely skillful, extremely satisfying part of the Pistol. I'd much rather more classic functionality out of this.

I'm gonna completely and absolutely disagree with this. The 3sk with the hand-cannon CE pistol is one of the most game-breaking, sandbox-destroying things about the game. EVERYTHING devolves into a whose-pistol-cock-is-bigger match on every map, for every range that isn't extreme long range. CQC is only superceded by a flamethrower or shotgun in these cases, which if you don't land a 2 shot kill with the shotty, or slightly miss the initial flame lead, will get you killed against anyone with pistol skill.

It prevents weapon variety, and paints the entire picture a bland shade of grey. Why would I use an AR when I have a pistol? Why would I ever pick up a covenant weapon unless I have a free slot? The CE pistol is used for almost all competitive encounters in a MP match, which is ridiculous.

I like regular lead, and with SAPP's nolead, a player can set custom lead if they wish. My only issue is that I'm not going to tell someone from Australia with 300ms ping that they are forced to be at a permanent disadvantage to state-side players because I wanted a more "classic" feel to my shot leading. Lead takes more skill, but it isn't always fair, and anyone who says it IS fair regardless of pings is either lying or doesn't understand the basics of latency and networking protocols in general.

Now that I'm off my soapbox, however, the pistol is very underpowered. I had it as a 7sk so that other weapons would supercede it for mid-range, but that ended up undervaluing it for CQC, and making it practically useless.

I upped it to a 5-6sk (min/max damage varies) with the recent patch to help combat this. If it still doesn't end up being enough, I'll gladly improve it. The firing rate was increased to match this, since the TTK should stay roughly the same as the old pistol in terms of non-headshot kills. It's full auto because the original was and I saw no reason to take that out, and decided to ramp it up in terms of ROF for long-rates of automatic fire. The longer you hold it, the faster it gets, but your accuracy goes to crap. If you're surprised out of the blue by someone close to you, that's a pretty nifty thing to be able to spit more lead than you could semi, especially when aim is degraded.

Unfortunately without uploading an entire new pack of 26 maps, server-side patches are the only option, which really only leaves me with projectile damage, range, and speed.

-BR
It fires super fast and spammy and doesn't require any pacing of shots. I'm uncertain how many bursts it takes to kill, but I'd hope it's a case of "If every shot lands from 4 bursts, the last being a headshot, it's a kill."

That is absolutely how it works. the 12th shot will land the headshot. 11 shots to the head will not kill a player.

The ROF is a tad high, and I was sloppy with it being full-auto, since it didn't do that during LAN play, but it doesn't fire any faster auto than it does semi. The ROF itself is really the issue on this one, but because of the server-patch drawbacks, ROF will have to wait until the final release.

-Shotgun
The range on this is ridiculous.. Which I'm honestly kind of OK with. It's super satisfying to use. That being the case, I'd honestly treat it more like a power weapon when placing it around maps. I'd also consider lowering the ammo count, considering it's 1-hit kill potential.

Yeah, it came out a bit OP for sure. I hated the original shotty with its usefulness being good up to about 5 feet, then dropping linearly until about 10 meters where you may as well fling your feces at a player.

I increased the damage a bit, and narrowed the spread to be more realistic with actual shotguns (I mean, seriously, a 3 foot spread at 10 paces? No.) Unfortunately those two properties really built off of one another and made it crazy.

It has been nerfed in the recent patches, for about 15-20% less damage. It retains its better spread, retains its lethality at close range, but won't kill someone in 1-2 shots from 20 feet unless you're very lucky with the spread.

Can be tweaked further if needed, but I gotta start somewhere :P

The Reticules on precision weapons are EXTREMELY difficult to see. I'd bump up the width of them by at least 2-3 times.

Yeah that's on me. I really like the designs and did them from scratch, but ended up making them too thin and scrawly. There is a new set already finished, but it wasn't worth re-uploading 2GB worth of maps for.

As for the announcers, I really don't hate the H4 one regardless of the massive flak I get for it, so unless I can replace it with H3 .sound tags that already exist, it's not worth the time to me to change it. If someone shows me working H3 announcer tags, I'll gladly make the switch, though.

Thanks for your feedback! I've got a HUGE list of recommendations, good, bad, between, many conflicted - and I'm keeping track of all of them trying to make them jive into a solid final product.

t3h m00kz
-banned for profanity-

I know what you did

Posted: Oct 12, 2015 01:37 AM    Msg. 170 of 203       
Quote:
Everything is absolutely NOT hitscan, in fact the velocities of bullets are very close to their original counterparts, if not identical in most cases. With so many weapons, I can't give you exact numbers, but that is one of my biggest beefs with modern games is the hitscanning/laser-gun crap.

Great to hear!! I couldn't entirely tell, nor did I test it out very much. A few shots across Valhalla, I didn't notice much travel time. I didn't slow-mo any footage down, so I wasn't certain.

Quote:
pistol stuff

If it's one thing that's very true about the CE pistol, is it's either a love it or hate it relationship. I can't disagree with it's criticisms, but I am on the love it end of the spectrum.

A. It's the starting weapon, so everybody's on the same playing field
B. Power weapons are still absolutely necessary to control in any competitive setting

One thing many fail to realize about CE is while, yes, the pistol was extremely strong, every other weapon in the game was far stronger than the rest of the franchise, and the pistol wasn't nearly as overpowering as people are lead to believe. It is broken to an extent, I think a 4 shot kill would make much more sense balance-wise.

But yeah, most of Halo 1's weapons are devastating when compared to later iterations. I.E. put somebody with H1 weapons against their counterparts from later games, H1 would come out on top.

- Rocket launcher
While it has a slower firing rate, it has a MASSIVE one-shot-kill aoe radius.

-Sniper rifle
2x/8x zoom, rather than the later games' 5x/10x. An extremely fast firing rate, making for much easier close-to-mid range engagements, but ironically more difficult long-range engagements due to projectile travel time and auto-aim mucking with the shot

-Shotgun
Effective kill range on par with Reach if not greater, but longer projectile max range and a much deeper clip

-Plasma rifle
The ever-important stun mechanic, locking players in place, making for an easy close range kill, rather than just being a shield shredder and nothing more

AR, Plasma Pistol, Needler are pretty much buttcheeks though. I honestly am of the opinion that it's not so much a case of the Pistol needing a nerf as much as it is these three weapons in particular needing a significant buff.

Bottom line is, either way, I stand by my suggestion to considering a slower ROF, and reward players for accurate, paced shots. A 5 shot kill (15 damage) with somewhere between H1 and Revolution's firing rate would be ideal in my personal opinion, as it would maintain the familiarity of the CE pistol while still keeping it balanced within the weapon sandbox. I'm glad to hear there's changes being made.

Quote:
The ROF is a tad high, and I was sloppy with it being full-auto, since it didn't do that during LAN play, but it doesn't fire any faster auto than it does semi. The ROF itself is really the issue on this one, but because of the server-patch drawbacks, ROF will have to wait until the final release.

Fair enough. :) Glad we're on the same page here

Quote:
Yeah, it came out a bit OP for sure. I hated the original shotty with its usefulness being good up to about 5 feet, then dropping linearly until about 10 meters where you may as well fling your feces at a player.

I increased the damage a bit, and narrowed the spread to be more realistic with actual shotguns (I mean, seriously, a 3 foot spread at 10 paces? No.) Unfortunately those two properties really built off of one another and made it crazy.

It has been nerfed in the recent patches, for about 15-20% less damage. It retains its better spread, retains its lethality at close range, but won't kill someone in 1-2 shots from 20 feet unless you're very lucky with the spread.

A more consistent spread is always nice. I've also been kind of "wat" to the spread in Halo games. Again, I was on the fence with this one, as it was still pretty satisfying to use, just seemed different from what I'd expect out of a Halo shottie.

Quote:
Yeah that's on me. I really like the designs and did them from scratch, but ended up making them too thin and scrawly. There is a new set already finished, but it wasn't worth re-uploading 2GB worth of maps for. (reticles)

The designs are absolutely sick and gorgeous, simply thickening them would be a very nice improvement. Hopefully doing so won't make them too obstructive.

Quote:
As for the announcers, I really don't hate the H4 one regardless of the massive flak I get for it, so unless I can replace it with H3 .sound tags that already exist, it's not worth the time to me to change it. If someone shows me working H3 announcer tags, I'll gladly make the switch, though.

No promises, as I'm super busy with work and life at the moment, but I might whip out Adjutent and see what I can do. Man, it's been a long time since I've done anything with H1's tool set, could be fun to whip something up for the first time in forever

Not too long ago I used adjutant rips to make death screams with Optic, as you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ0phvO7xQU

so actually getting the announcer clips won't be too hard.

Quote:
Unfortunately without uploading an entire new pack of 26 maps, server-side patches are the only option, which really only leaves me with projectile damage, range, and speed.

All good, I'm not expecting immediate changes and a new build to be pushed out immediately as much as I am pitching things to consider for the next release.

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback! I've got a HUGE list of recommendations, good, bad, between, many conflicted - and I'm keeping track of all of them trying to make them jive into a solid final product.

My pleasure. Solid foundation for sure. Again most of these are nitpicks, albeit a lot of them, which I feel if addressed could tighten the experience.

E:
I have all of the announcer sound clips extracted, all of them properly named. Most of them are from Halo 3, except for "Race" which is from Reach. I'll begin converting them soon.

E2:
Halo 3 Announcer Tags whipped up. All appropriately named. I've gone as far as to splice "30 Seconds Remaining" and "25 Points to Win" to create "30 Seconds to Win," and likewise with "1 Minute to Win." They've been lightly tested (can't test multikills locally) and they all work. Just drag/drop into sound/dialog/multiplayer1 and they'll function. Back up what you have already, of course.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50590573/Projects/Mods/Halo%20CE/Halo%203%20Announcer%20Tags/halo3.zip

Edited by t3h m00kz on Oct 12, 2015 at 03:59 AM

NeX

Posted: Oct 13, 2015 03:45 PM    Msg. 171 of 203       
Awesome mate, I appreciate it!

Zombies config is finished, should be up soon.

So here's a polling question: I've really been enjoying looking at the 4v4 Team Slayer competitive play featured in a lot of Halo 5 MP vids...

Including the static power weapon respawn timers, and they're announcement to the players - both easily accomplished and edited via server scripting.
Additionally, the 4v4 elimination on small maps could be very fun as well, with SMG/Magnum starts, with server scripting preventing dead player respawns until the start of another round - maybe ringing in a 3-round ideal match, with tie breakers if needed (also easily scripted).

Feedback on these ideas would be great, as well as some volunteers for when map-based edits for gameplay begin rolling out after this semester's end. Most balance testing will be done in 2-3 consistently updated maps until final release.

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Oct 13, 2015 10:03 PM    Msg. 172 of 203       
Always love me a CS elim mode.
I'd say go for it!

t3h m00kz
-banned for profanity-

I know what you did

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 03:06 PM    Msg. 173 of 203       
Awesome mate, I appreciate it!

Zombies config is finished, should be up soon.

So here's a polling question: I've really been enjoying looking at the 4v4 Team Slayer competitive play featured in a lot of Halo 5 MP vids...

Including the static power weapon respawn timers, and they're announcement to the players - both easily accomplished and edited via server scripting.
Additionally, the 4v4 elimination on small maps could be very fun as well, with SMG/Magnum starts, with server scripting preventing dead player respawns until the start of another round - maybe ringing in a 3-round ideal match, with tie breakers if needed (also easily scripted).

Feedback on these ideas would be great, as well as some volunteers for when map-based edits for gameplay begin rolling out after this semester's end. Most balance testing will be done in 2-3 consistently updated maps until final release.

4v4 elim could be fun. Being unable to spectate other players in H1 is a little annoying, I'd have to play it to have an opinion.

Is this all just lua sht with HAPP or whatever?

Xander92

I`m Russian,you maggot.

Posted: Oct 31, 2015 06:42 PM    Msg. 174 of 203       
Some new Halo Revolution gameplay recap done recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1NxnRbBu_8

NeX

Posted: Nov 1, 2015 10:40 AM    Msg. 175 of 203       
Quote: --- Original message by: Xander92
Some new Halo Revolution gameplay recap done recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1NxnRbBu_8

Cool! Haha looks like you guys had a lot of problems with the servers. I dont host them, and my input is limited for their operation. I do have a few VPS servers that I'd be happy to host a CE server on to let you guys have admin privs and see all the maps on whatever gametypes.

I also noticed that the recent LUA patch worked, which is good.

Page 5 of 6 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · [5] · 6 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue April 25, 2017 12:46 AM 516 ms.
A Halo Maps Website