A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »How would you "Evolve" some of the other campaign levels?

Author Topic: How would you "Evolve" some of the other campaign levels? (28 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 07:31 PM    Msg. 1 of 28       
If you were put in charge of the next Campaign Level: Evolved project, what would you do to those levels? (hypothetically of course)

I for one think the level Halo could use some touch ups to really make that first level on Halo really beautiful and great. However I wouldn't want to change up the open landscapes much.

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 07:41 PM    Msg. 2 of 28       
Halo is not a bad choice but personally I'd love to see an inspired remake of The Library.
I think its one of the more memorable levels of Halo:CE, and its the one that always felt the most copy-pasted.

Juzo

Just delete my account really

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 07:48 PM    Msg. 3 of 28       
Assault On The Control Room, while it was great in the vanilla game I always thought it could have been expanded on in terms of length, other levels in the series gave similar experiences like it. Also have to agree with Sketch on that one.

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 07:50 PM    Msg. 4 of 28       
The Library should be WAY less repetitive.

Atomic117

Bring me another!

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 08:18 PM    Msg. 5 of 28       
I'd also say The Library.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 09:01 PM    Msg. 6 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
Halo is not a bad choice but personally I'd love to see an inspired remake of The Library.
I think its one of the more memorable levels of Halo:CE, and its the one that always felt the most copy-pasted.

Isn't CMT making the Library evolved? also I would say pillar of autumn, it was a great introduction to the game and taught you well how to play the game, but it would be cool to have something more complicated and is gonna kick your ass more.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 09:06 PM    Msg. 7 of 28       
A POA styled after Crows Nest could be cool.

Halonimator

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 09:07 PM    Msg. 8 of 28       
I can remake the 2nd mission

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 09:58 PM    Msg. 9 of 28       
I'd swap all the characters for lolis.

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 10:08 PM    Msg. 10 of 28       
Well every level can be evolved

1; Pillar of Autumn, I felt that level can be more futurist, its suposed to XXVI century and I felt it like 3 centuries ago, maybe redisign the bsp so felt something like civil and reach Type, more like Sword base many references are in the novels.

2; Truth and Reconcilition, the level is fine, but I was thinking more like a stealth misión, similar to metal gear solid. More bipeds like the engineers, drons, making them actual like work

3; Guille Spark, oh man, this is a level a whould l ke to play. I see this as half horror map and half. suspensemap. I imagen Extreme gore with the floods maybe os real time infección?

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 10:17 PM    Msg. 11 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
If you were put in charge of the next Campaign Level: Evolved project, what would you do to those levels? (hypothetically of course)

I for one think the level Halo could use some touch ups to really make that first level on Halo really beautiful and great. However I wouldn't want to change up the open landscapes much.

personally id rather build on the campaign than do more evolved versions (though truth and rec would be my choice :P )

id really like to add extra levels in between the different MC missions to fill in what happened in between.
curse you lack of reliable and quality voice acting

a custom mission or two covering the odst's that dropped on halo after the abandon ship order was given would be awesome :D along with the backstory on of alpha base. the book the floods has a lot of usable material that would make some awesome missions :D

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 11:26 PM    Msg. 12 of 28       
I'd have the last level's warthog run be driving through debris and sand dunes, rather than a "dorsal structure" conveniently carefully designed to be navigated by a warthog. Seriously, on foot you can't walk up those huge dips.
Edited by xnx on Apr 12, 2015 at 11:28 PM

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Apr 13, 2015 01:45 AM    Msg. 13 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: killzone64
the book the floods has a lot of usable material that would make some awesome missions :D

If one was to make a game recreation of one of the Halo novels it would have to be The First Strike. There's so much that happens in that book. Not to mention it actually explains why the Chief is just magically on earth in Halo 2 after CE.

Invader Veex

i make poast

Posted: Apr 13, 2015 03:47 AM    Msg. 14 of 28       
A10: New bridge design, with holo display like Infinity's, since the PoA was just retrofitted. Change the corridors path, not much you can do here.

A30: Make scenic views, similar to the view from the security station on tsc:e. when one lifeboat goes over that you need to save, you have to rescue them and clear the nearby complex to be able to set up a base. Then go after remaining lifeboats flying over.Maybe have this along a cliff like the lake in delta halo/regret in h2. But still the grey/advancedforerunner architecture. Or something like yomesmite national park.

A50: not much I can think of, aside from a different hanger design.

b40: start out at a bottom of a snowcapped mountain (but green at the bottom) and go up level by level, the canyons you go through in the normal level would be the same on one side, but cliff edge on the other. Control room would be in a cirque at the top, half buried in a glacier.

C10: not much to do here eother, just change up the directions you travel in. That and have a second elevator that comes crashing down for a further feeling of desperation. on the way back up, have flood blobs building up on the walls, with the occasional arm or head and sounds coming from them.

May edit this post later to add further ideas.

HeyPiRon

Posted: Apr 13, 2015 03:54 AM    Msg. 15 of 28       
I voite for library too. It's most copy+paste and boring level in game for me.

Dalek

Posted: Apr 13, 2015 04:40 AM    Msg. 16 of 28       
an evolve level can be something inspired by a halo books, like fall of reach.

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Apr 13, 2015 01:30 PM    Msg. 17 of 28       
Definitely 343 Guilty Spark.
I'd expand the swamp gameplay more, both before and after entering the structure itself.
And since we've played it to death, I'd shorten the interior section to not make the entire level feel like a drag.

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Apr 13, 2015 01:48 PM    Msg. 18 of 28       
I know some people wouldn't like it, because Halo is not one of those games, but I would love for 343 GS to be way more scary, and all the other flood levels for that matter.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Apr 13, 2015 09:41 PM    Msg. 19 of 28       
hola amigos i start on my new proyecto custard mapper groups a10 evolved

wow does nT tat lok fun and polish im sure it will be gret haol ec proyecto
Edited by MEGASEAN2812 on Apr 13, 2015 at 09:41 PM

Juzo

Just delete my account really

Posted: Apr 14, 2015 03:18 PM    Msg. 20 of 28       
No one has mentioned keyes yet.
Edited by SilentBlade on Apr 14, 2015 at 03:19 PM

WWLinkMasterX

subliminal message.

Posted: Apr 14, 2015 05:51 PM    Msg. 21 of 28       
oh boi...

Updated graphics and BSPs go without saying, but I'd also enjoy:

a10, The POA
This level has a lot of potential for gimmicks because it's: 1) In space 2) Supposed to be a tutorial level. I would definitely add a bunch of gimmicky things.

-Center the level around cooperation/support of your marines. In no other level will you be so surrounded by allied units, so that should factor into the gameplay. It's also a tutorial and you're fighting on your own turf, so it should be relatively easy.

-Wise players should be able to manipulate the environment to work for them through switches. This could include auto-turrets, unlocking weapons caches, calling in extra marines, or maybe even turning off the gravity.

-Vehicles and crates should be abundant but un-driveable. Combine an abundance of cargo, tight spaces, and the potential for low gravity, and you have a great recipe for improvised projectiles. That's using the environment wisely. The presence of unusable vehicles serves as a preview for what's to come.

I feel that pacing is important, and pacing across multiple levels in a campaign is different than for a stand-alone level. This applies to the ordered introduction of weapons, vehicles, and units.

a30, Halo
This level's iconic, but as the first "real" level in the campaign and with only like 3 BSPs, it could be greatly expanded upon.

-After the initial escape through the hills, instead of immediately regrouping with marines, I think it would be cooler to find them by foot. Once you get through the pass you could transition (via cave?) into a dense, open forest, like an alinear Sierra 117. There, the player would have freedom to go multiple ways in the forest looking for survivors. This gives the player the option of getting the drop on unsuspecting covenant, while also risking getting surprised themselves. Real guerrilla warfare in an improvised situation.

-Such a scenario is conducive to what a lot of fans want in their Halo, ambient wildlife. I've got this image in my mind of the chief sneaking up a ridge to see a thorn-beast grazing in a shallow pool below. Then, out of the forest comes a Brute-pack, spikers in hand, gunning down the defenseless titan. Such an encounter adds ambiance, characterizes the brutes, and foreshadows what they'll do to human prey in the Silent Cartographer.

-As mentioned, this also fits in with the rescuing of marines that's essential to the storyline. Another minor Idea I had was that the first vehicle you ever get should be a troop-hog (high occupancy). That way, rescuing marines has intrinsic value as each new marine adds to your otherwise unarmed hog's firepower. I suppose the idea of a regular jeep rolling through the jungle just sits well with me. One should be able to get a chain-hog later on of course, Pacing.

a50, Truth and Stuff
I feel this level is already pretty good for what it's meant to be. Perhaps:

-Make the initial outdoors BSP a little more "open" rather than so linear. The rocky-cliff landscape makes it easy to insert extra caves, pathways, and high ridges to get that ample sniping spot. Marine Paths may have to follow a single route, so alternate routes should compliment the main one.

-Maybe mix up the interior of the Truth and Reconciliation. There's potential for gravlift action I suppose.

-Some weapon adjustments ie: silent weapons (already being done), a covenant sniper (already being done)

b30, The Silent [Redacted]
Already been done. Only change I would make, if possible, is to make the underwater flora and fauna more colorful. Maybe throw some palm trees on the beach.

b40, Assault the Cont.
This is supposed to be Halo's premier vehicle level and I feel it should focus more on that. Every land vehicle should be available at some point and the level should just proceed as an assault. Marine-controlled vehicles where possible. The Interior sections should certainly be made less repetitive. The optional stealing of a banshee could also be more cleverly implemented to accompany the new BSPs.

c10, 343 Gui- ZOMBIES
This level also has a lot of potential a the jump-scare-rific introduction to the flood. Unit infections are a must and I like CMT's idea of flood forms retaining the gameplay-relevant traits of their hosts.

-Interiors should be less repetitive/have striking physical differences between rooms so it's less easy to get lost. That said, the "wrong turn" element in the original should be preserved, especially since it serves to artificially lengthen the level without any increase in file size.

-The outdoor section should be longer as this is 1) your only opportunity to fight flood alongside marines, and with marines at all, 2) a great opportunity to see some easy/gruesome flood infections 3) your introduction to fighting alongside sentinels, and 4) the swamp biome needs more love.

c20, The Library
People have been clamoring for a complete overhaul of this map, and with good reason. Everything should be redone with a central focus on two things: Flood and Forerunners.

-You are deep inside a vital Forerunner structure, so it should feel like it. The level should change and move with the player as you unlock doors, activate light-bridges, and ride complex elevators and/or grav-lifts. It should feel like you're traversing the inside of a puzzle-box as you move its pieces trying to unlock it.

-Combat of course should focus on the flood. While flood swarms are a staple and I feel they should return (in moderation), the shifty nature of the level should give ample opportunity for flood to jump out of unexpected places and surprise you. Sentinel-allies should also play a bigger role in the level seeing how they won't be allies for much longer.

-I also feel that the end of the level is the perfect time to introduce a new, "big" flood-form. A sort of melee-centric "boss" for the end of the level right before you get the index. Something I really like about the tank-forms in Halo 3 is that their "projectile" is to vomit fourth more infection forms. This would make an excellent unique-behavior for this "boss." Going with the theme of flood being based on their hosts, the large dumb thorn beast mentioned in a30 could make a perfect host for this flood form. Pacing!

c40, Two Betrayals
This is Halo's dedicated Banshee level and I feel that there should be more of an emphasis on aerial combat. The new BSP could be specifically made to accommodate this aerial combat too (assuming it's the same as in b40).

-Where flood were the focus of the last level, this one should focus on sentinels. Sentinels got the short-end of the stick in the original Halo, but they're a completely unique enemy type and are under-utilized. What's more, sentinels can fly which compliments this idea of aerial-centric combat.

-Once again, this seems like a good time to add a new sentinel (Pacing!). Given the open environment, a large anti-vehicle sentinel seems appropriate (like an enforcer, though I would prefer a different model). Its prime armament should be spartan-laser like weapon because 1) it's distinctly anti-vehicle and 2) such a weapon only canonically makes sense as a drop from a powerful forerunner unit. Of course, the unit's aim would have to be very poor, making it effective against large targets like wraiths and phantoms, but not smaller units. Getting said weapon seems like a worthy prize for defeating such a powerful enemy.

-As a short point, if armor abilities are included (as in SPV3) this would be a good level to have "EMP" be plentiful, as it goes with the game's storyline.

d20, Keyes
I like how this level was originally done, with all the additions I proposed it's mostly a matter of good population.

-Because you spend the exterior sections under a flood-controlled ship, it's the only level where it makes sense to have flood "drop-pods." It could make for some good jump scares.

-This also the most appropriate level to have "flood covered" geometry (inside the ship), which would be a nice unique aesthetic.

d40, The Maw
Eh, I don't know, just rehash everything done thus far. Maybe:

-Adjust the "maw-run" so that you have a few different options of what path to take. Some of those options could incorporate different vehicles, that is, only ghosts would be able to take some of them.

tl;dr
Make every level have a unique environment and focus, on a couple specific themes/mechanics.

Pacing.

PopeAK49

I'm a living, breathing sentient tank!

Posted: Apr 14, 2015 09:49 PM    Msg. 22 of 28       
For 343 Guilty Spark, I would only modify the interior lighting. Basically, I would have normal lighting and transition to blinking lights and darker corridors. I would probably make the interiors more of a puzzle to get out. Ultimately, making 343 into a horror mission.

For the Maw, I would make it look like the USG Ishimura from Dead Space.

SOI_7

ZA WARUDO! TOKI WO TOMARE!

Posted: Apr 15, 2015 10:32 AM    Msg. 23 of 28       
*taking notes*

Any ideas for a good Hornet implementation in the stock campaign?

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 01:01 AM    Msg. 24 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: Contrarian Smuglord
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812

hola amigos i start on my new proyecto custard mapper groups a10 evolved

http://i.imgur.com/yuUGkND.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M5DNKyn.png

http://i.imgur.com/How0xkH.jpg

wow does nT tat lok fun and polish im sure it will be gret haol ec proyecto
Edited by MEGASEAN2812 on Apr 13, 2015 at 09:41 PM

Unfunny.

Yet again, you could have ignored it. But instead your emo little head decided to "call me out" (replying)

In all seriousness, the idea of remaking sp levels sounds fun. I remember someone did a basic remake of a10 using that one mp map. Wasn't anything special but the concept was cool. I guess the reason not many people do it is to focus on more creative ideas.

SGT Arroyo

golden

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 06:57 AM    Msg. 25 of 28       
Halo reach tags.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 08:51 AM    Msg. 26 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: SOI_7
*taking notes*

Any ideas for a good Hornet implementation in the stock campaign?

Wouldn't make sense. All the arsenal the U.N.S.C used from halo were taken from the Halcyon ship. Which doesn't really look all that roomy.

Nickster5000

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 04:32 PM    Msg. 27 of 28       
I totally want to see a Bigass: Evolved, twice the size ass its ever been before.

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 05:05 PM    Msg. 28 of 28       
I don't like it when asses are too big.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun January 19, 2020 8:14 AM 735 ms.
A Halo Maps Website