A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »remove animation or reducing resolution on textures

Author Topic: remove animation or reducing resolution on textures (20 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Perla117

The Last Italian On This Forum

Posted: May 15, 2015 09:10 AM    Msg. 1 of 20       
i tried to compile the original scenario of b30. Only to see if was working to compile. It said that i have added more data to the map that is allowed (cache file 0.35M too large (should be 576.00M but was 576.35M).
i Know that is because there are too much tags and i have to remove them, but why the original scenario can not be compile?

i tried to remove some scenary tag and the secret bipeds but the cache file was 576.30.

How i can remove animation or reducing resolution on textures?

Thanks.

NeX

Posted: May 15, 2015 09:31 AM    Msg. 2 of 20       
easiest thing to do would most likely be going into the globals and removing/replacing the weapons referenced there with the ones you're now (I assume) using that are not original.

They still have some basic model data and such that can easily take up 10 or so MB of a map. Since you aren't using those (or at least a few) in favor of custom weapons, then go ahead and just remove those references or replace them altogether with the new ones.

For example, in the globals if you're using a new assault rifle, then go and replace the reference for the original assault rifle

(weapons\assault rifle\assault rifle.weapon)

with the new one

(johnlex2\ripz\h3\h4\hr\ODST\Rifle\Assault\assault rifle\badmofo\horriblyshaded\assault rifle\espanolo.weapon)

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: May 15, 2015 09:52 AM    Msg. 3 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: NeX

(johnlex2\ripz\h3\h4\hr\ODST\Rifle\Assault\assault rifle\badmofo\horriblyshaded\assault rifle\espanolo.weapon)

:)

Perla117

The Last Italian On This Forum

Posted: May 15, 2015 10:47 AM    Msg. 4 of 20       
Quote:
It's more than weapons tags that increases filesizes. You have sound tags in the form of music, any texture that is 1024x1024 or higher (don't forget the mipmaps of them), 32-bit complied textures, and more that I didn't mention.

There is a Way to reduce textures resolution Quickly ?
Edited by Perla117 on May 15, 2015 at 10:48 AM

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: May 15, 2015 10:51 AM    Msg. 5 of 20       
just remove some stuff from the map that you don't need.

Super Flanker

Posted: May 15, 2015 10:56 AM    Msg. 6 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: Perla117

Quote:
It's more than weapons tags that increases filesizes. You have sound tags in the form of music, any texture that is 1024x1024 or higher (don't forget the mipmaps of them), 32-bit complied textures, and more that I didn't mention.

There is a Way to reduce textures resolution Quickly ?
Edited by Perla117 on May 15, 2015 at 10:48 AM

extract bitmaps > downscale in gimp > recompile and replace.

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: May 15, 2015 02:48 PM    Msg. 7 of 20       
Well take a screeshots (prnt scrn or imp pant) on the the bitmaps on guerrilla, paste them in paint, crop them to 512x512 or 1024, save them in tiff than compile them with color key compresión, thats it.
Sale thing happend with paxtis reach weapons

NeX

Posted: May 15, 2015 03:43 PM    Msg. 8 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: TheSenpaiModder
Quote: --- Original message by: NeX
easiest thing to do would most likely be going into the globals and removing/replacing the weapons referenced there with the ones you're now (I assume) using that are not original

Of course. I just put what I thought was the quickest way to shed that tiny bit of space that kept him over the limit. Honestly unless you're really making beautiful shaders, just use 512x512 bitmaps. Resize the data .tif and recompile, then recompile the map. One or two reductions from 1024x1024 to 512x512 should put you under the cap, too.

Also never ever ever use mipmaps on HUD elements (lookin at you altisticles) because if a player has to reduce texture quality,mipmaps are what is used to do so. If your reticles don't have mipmaps, they'll stay nice and clean despite texture quality changes; if not, you wind up with smudgy horsecrap for the ones that do.
Edited by NeX on May 15, 2015 at 03:45 PM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: May 16, 2015 12:21 AM    Msg. 9 of 20       
I was the one who CMT had optimize as many things as I could while I was still helping. This is the tool I wrote to help me profile and optimize the bitmaps. Ended up trimming about 100MB off the compile size. You can use it to help trim some other bitmaps.

http://chief-01.deviantart.com/art/Halo-Bitmap-Optimizer-and-Converter-471995477

Super Flanker

Posted: May 16, 2015 11:07 AM    Msg. 10 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
I was the one who CMT had optimize as many things as I could while I was still helping. This is the tool I wrote to help me profile and optimize the bitmaps. Ended up trimming about 100MB off the compile size. You can use it to help trim some other bitmaps.

http://chief-01.deviantart.com/art/Halo-Bitmap-Optimizer-and-Converter-471995477

WOAH! God send.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: May 16, 2015 02:00 PM    Msg. 11 of 20       
Btw, i must mention that if you try to load ALL the tags in the CMT folder at once then you just might run into this:

Error encountered while opening\reading: E:\CMT Tags Repository\tags\levels\b30\bitmaps\waves mask.bitmap
Tag may be corrupt

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "e:\Dropbox\Reclaimer\ReclaimerLib Archive\Bitmap Convertor V1.5\ReclaimerLib\Tag_Constructors\DEFAULT\Tag_Constructor.py", line 159, in Load_New_Tag
Raw_Tag_Data = mmap.mmap(Tag_File.fileno(), 0, access=mmap.ACCESS_READ)
OSError: [WinError 8] Not enough storage is available to process this command

Basically saying that there's not enough ram available to python to keep loading tags. When that happens the program wont work and will probably crash outright. Also, I just updated the bitmap convertor to the V1.5 that I've had on hand for a while. I waited for a while until my library that it relies on had been significantly improved.

Be sure to read the "Useful Help" window as it explains pretty much everything you may have a question on. Also, dont forget that it allows you to PROFILE the bitmaps, meaning it'll print out something that looks like this:

http://pastebin.com/YsSHzapt
Edited by MosesofEgypt on May 16, 2015 at 02:08 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: May 18, 2015 05:48 AM    Msg. 12 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt

Btw, i must mention that if you try to load ALL the tags in the CMT folder at once then you just might run into this:

Error encountered while opening\reading: E:\CMT Tags Repository\tags\levels\b30\bitmaps\waves mask.bitmap
Tag may be corrupt

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "e:\Dropbox\Reclaimer\ReclaimerLib Archive\Bitmap Convertor V1.5\ReclaimerLib\Tag_Constructors\DEFAULT\Tag_Constructor.py", line 159, in Load_New_Tag
Raw_Tag_Data = mmap.mmap(Tag_File.fileno(), 0, access=mmap.ACCESS_READ)
OSError: [WinError 8] Not enough storage is available to process this command

Basically saying that there's not enough ram available to python to keep loading tags. When that happens the program wont work and will probably crash outright. Also, I just updated the bitmap convertor to the V1.5 that I've had on hand for a while. I waited for a while until my library that it relies on had been significantly improved.

Be sure to read the "Useful Help" window as it explains pretty much everything you may have a question on. Also, dont forget that it allows you to PROFILE the bitmaps, meaning it'll print out something that looks like this:

http://pastebin.com/YsSHzapt
Edited by MosesofEgypt on May 16, 2015 at 02:08 PM

-offtopic-

But did it ever reach the 3d print stage?
Edited by SS Flanker on May 18, 2015 at 05:48 AM

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: May 18, 2015 06:44 AM    Msg. 13 of 20       
You couldn't pm him?

Super Flanker

Posted: May 18, 2015 06:47 AM    Msg. 14 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
You couldn't pm him?

Sorry dennis jr.

No one really responds to PM's anyway.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: May 18, 2015 07:03 AM    Msg. 15 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
You couldn't pm him?

Sorry dennis jr.

I do

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: May 18, 2015 07:04 AM    Msg. 16 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
You couldn't pm him?

Sorry dennis jr.

I do

I do too

Super Flanker

Posted: May 18, 2015 07:06 AM    Msg. 17 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
You couldn't pm him?

Sorry dennis jr.

I do

I do too

Let's form a mapping team.

PMMT

We'll re-release what jhonlex re-releases.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: May 18, 2015 07:47 PM    Msg. 18 of 20       
Yeah actually. Here's a more recent pic of the master copy.

My partner is sanding it smooth and doing spot filling. It keeps getting delayed, but progress keeps getting made on it. It should finally be ready for mold making and copy casting fairly soon. I don't talk about it or the magnum replica on these forums because I'm almost certain that Dennis has a rule against using his forums for advertising, which is what that would be.

But yea, if you want to talk more about it, PM me.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on May 21, 2015 at 10:50 PM

OrangeJuice

Still here because your site isn't active either.

Posted: May 21, 2015 11:02 AM    Msg. 19 of 20       
try keeping a clean tags folder,
whenever you're compiling a map for the final time, try dragging out any folders containing things that you don't want palletized into your map

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: May 21, 2015 10:43 PM    Msg. 20 of 20       
I'd totally buy a magnum 3d model if I could afford it...

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue April 7, 2020 12:33 PM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website