A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »Halo 2 Vista crashing problem.

Author Topic: Halo 2 Vista crashing problem. (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

General_101

Apparently all I post is spam.

Posted: Jun 2, 2015 01:28 AM    Msg. 1 of 10       
Not sure if this is the proper place but here I go. I have lately moved from an "unofficial" copy of Halo 2 to an actual bought copy. While running the game I have issues however. Spending more than ten seconds on any menu will freeze the game but you can still technically control the menu still. It will just stay frozen on the last frame it was displaying. As long as I stay in game it seems to run fine. I have not modified the base game in anyway.If there is any other information that is needed please let me know.
Shows me for trying to pay for games and giving a crappy port a chance.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jun 2, 2015 03:39 AM    Msg. 2 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: General_101
Not sure if this is the proper place but here I go. I have lately moved from an "unofficial" copy of Halo 2 to an actual bought copy. While running the game I have issues however. Spending more than ten seconds on any menu will freeze the game but you can still technically control the menu still. It will just stay frozen on the last frame it was displaying. As long as I stay in game it seems to run fine. I have not modified the base game in anyway.If there is any other information that is needed please let me know.
Shows me for trying to pay for games and giving a crappy port a chance.

Found this. http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=41840

No hyper link bc phne post.

Twinreaper

Posted: Jun 2, 2015 08:23 AM    Msg. 3 of 10       
Not very detailed mate. Screens freezing is a common application occurance, games or not. What are your exact specs of the rig you are trying to run Halo 2 on? If it is anything like the issue that Flanker linked you too, then upgrade to a system more capable of running the game.

General_101

Posted: Jun 2, 2015 11:19 AM    Msg. 4 of 10       
CPU: AMD FX-4130 quad core processor 3.80GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6670
I'm not an expert but I'm sure that this is more than enough. I did find a patch that removed Windows Live from the game and that seems to have fixed the issue. The only problem is now I can't play multiplayer. I will try reinstalling Windows Live and see if that is the issue.

Twinreaper

Posted: Jun 2, 2015 11:56 AM    Msg. 5 of 10       
I'm assuming your on Windows 7? If so, removing the Live function of the game will break the multiplayer, as the product activation and validation is linked to your GT requiring you to sign into Live to play.

From what I can gather the screens that are freezing are the post carnage scoreboard? Or is it all the menu UI screens?

General_101

Posted: Jun 2, 2015 12:50 PM    Msg. 6 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: Twinreaper
I'm assuming your on Windows 7? If so, removing the Live function of the game will break the multiplayer, as the product activation and validation is linked to your GT requiring you to sign into Live to play.

From what I can gather the screens that are freezing are the post carnage scoreboard? Or is it all the menu UI screens?

All the menu UI screens. If you need a visual then I found someone who had the same problem as me. Although he does not say how he fixed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyd2LVNMr_A
And yes, I am on Windows 7. Also scratch what I said before. It is happening ingame as well. Reinstalling Windows Live did not seem to do a thing.

Twinreaper

Posted: Jun 2, 2015 01:48 PM    Msg. 7 of 10       
The gpu you have is notorious for refresh and driver issues. Have you noticed any refresh or graphical issues with anything else? Even small mostly unnoticeable or minor ones are usually indicative of a larger problem. the likely culprit is the Catalyst drivers.

This is why I stay away from anything AMD related for GPU hardware. I use only Nvidia chipset GPU cards and strict AMD cpu's.

General_101

Posted: Jun 2, 2015 05:06 PM    Msg. 8 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: Twinreaper
The gpu you have is notorious for refresh and driver issues. Have you noticed any refresh or graphical issues with anything else? Even small mostly unnoticeable or minor ones are usually indicative of a larger problem. the likely culprit is the Catalyst drivers.

This is why I stay away from anything AMD related for GPU hardware. I use only Nvidia chipset GPU cards and strict AMD cpu's.

Never had any issues with my GPU until Halo 2. It has worked well with everything I have thrown at it so far. Do you really believe it is the fault of the GPU though? It isn't the best but Halo 2 runs fine until I use Windows Live. It crashes then but runs fine so long as I keep the Windows Live patch to get rid of it running. Wouldn't the problem be with software at this point?

Twinreaper

Posted: Jun 2, 2015 06:04 PM    Msg. 9 of 10       
I'm not gonna say the software is bug free or perfect, But I have a similar setup except running a GTX 550 ti. Before that I ran a GT 9600 and 8400. Never had one issue running Halo 2 at all on either Vista or 7, so I'm lead to believe the logical culprit is the GPU.

General_101

Posted: Jun 4, 2015 09:16 PM    Msg. 10 of 10       
I'm leaving this here for future people who pass by with similar issues. There was no real way for me to see what was affecting it. Luckily for me it was about that time of year when I format my PC. A side effect of that was that Halo 2 works now. Uninstalling a bunch of programs from my PC did not help so I can only assume it was something Windows update installed.

TL;DR: Halo 2 works now and it isn't worth playing or the trouble.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon September 25, 2017 1:11 PM 94 ms.
A Halo Maps Website