A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Reverse Engineering Halo's Memory

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next
Author Topic: Reverse Engineering Halo's Memory (106 messages, Page 1 of 4)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: Jun 14, 2015 04:05 AM    Msg. 1 of 106       

Edited by sparky on Aug 20, 2015 at 01:46 PM

emoose

Halo Online

Posted: Jun 14, 2015 08:43 AM    Msg. 2 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Has anyone from this forum done any reverse-engineering of Halo's memory? I'm working on that, and I wonder if there is any previous work on doing so. I'm making a Bit Slicer document, and afterwards, specific documentation using a C header file, and incorporation into Zeus. I would be concerned with offset 0x40000000 to 0x40440028, although I suppose information about later offsets would be appreciated. I know certain tag types vary from their HEK pre-compiled counterparts, and I'm not very interested in those details at this point because I already have steps to test for those differences and that would be at a later date. But if you have information about the variable values and memory table values between 0x40000000 and the tag index, please share that information with me. Thank you.

Sometimes I don't get you.

You put so much effort on halo ce which is 14 years old but not halo online?

Bungie left halo ce and no companies out there are NOT supporting halo ce pc at all man. If they were supporting halo ce they would have gave us new content because they are the ones who got the source code and we dont.

Yes i admit saber interactive are charging microtransactions but the one we have is a lot better however saber interactive are doing good job that they are adding stuff in the game, when they do that we transfer their content into our old build.
At least halo online got a little support and end of the day saber interactive can add any contents in the game because they are the ones who got the source code.

Look i am not forcing you at all just dont turn your back on halo online pc aswell man.

It would be aswome if you contribute with us.
Edited by emoose on Jun 14, 2015 at 08:44 AM

FtDSpartn

Verified AI.

Posted: Jun 14, 2015 08:58 AM    Msg. 3 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: emoose

Has anyone from this forum done any reverse-engineering of Halo's memory? I'm working on that, and I wonder if there is any previous work on doing so. I'm making a Bit Slicer document, and afterwards, specific documentation using a C header file, and incorporation into Zeus. I would be concerned with offset 0x40000000 to 0x40440028, although I suppose information about later offsets would be appreciated. I know certain tag types vary from their HEK pre-compiled counterparts, and I'm not very interested in those details at this point because I already have steps to test for those differences and that would be at a later date. But if you have information about the variable values and memory table values between 0x40000000 and the tag index, please share that information with me. Thank you.

Bungie left halo ce and no companies out there are NOT supporting halo ce pc at all man. If they were supporting halo ce they would have gave us new content because they are the ones who got the source code and we dont.

Yes i admit saber interactive are charging microtransactions but the one we have is a lot better however saber interactive are doing good job that they are adding stuff in the game, when they do that we transfer their content into our old build.
At least halo online got a little support and end of the day saber interactive can add any contents in the game because they are the ones who got the source code.

Look i am not forcing you at all just dont turn your back on halo online pc aswell man.

This forum is called Halo CE for a reason.

We don't work on Halo Online because we've been working on Halo CE content for years, and to jump ship to another game that barely has object replacing with almost no ability to customize seems a bit silly.

emoose

Halo Online

Posted: Jun 14, 2015 09:13 AM    Msg. 4 of 106       
Just because its called halomaps.org doesnt mean its just halo ce.

What about halo 2 vista? You see it on here aswell

Halo online is still halo dude.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jun 14, 2015 11:58 AM    Msg. 5 of 106       

Ayyyy satan. GTFO THE WEBSITE YOU FUGGING SQEAKIN ASS FAGIT.

In certain aspects of life, diplomacy is the only way forward.
Edited by SS Flanker on Jun 14, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Jun 14, 2015 12:03 PM    Msg. 6 of 106       

In terms a bit more simple, what do you mean? (I'm no so expert withe ce)

Just because its called halomaps.org doesnt mean its just halo ce.

What about halo 2 vista? You see it on here aswell

Halo online is still halo dude.

I'll be honest, I like halo online too, is a new opportunity for halo on PC, but it doesn't fit on this site, because is nothing to custom in that game, also you have halo.click for spam things like that. We are always exited with ce because you can do whatever you want in ce.
Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
Ayyyy satan. GTFO THE WEBSITE YOU FUGGING SQEAKIN ASS FAGIT.

In certain aspects of life, diplomacy is the only way forward.
Edited by SS Flanker on Jun 14, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Did you forget what Dennis just said?
Edited by Kinnet on Jun 14, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Jun 14, 2015 12:25 PM    Msg. 7 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: PizzaRoll Warrior
Sparky, shut the hell up. Do you even know what you're talking about half the time? All I got from you was that you're all talk and no walk.

/\ This is why we can't have many nice things.

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Jun 14, 2015 12:30 PM    Msg. 8 of 106       
you're all talk and no walk.

Zeus? INCY online?

He's just asking a question, if you don't know the answer leave that job for the "helpful posters"

Super Flanker

Posted: Jun 14, 2015 12:33 PM    Msg. 9 of 106       
Well, considering Sparky's post history of being a con artist with the whole hyping Zeus BS. Seriously, is Zeus really going to be the magic bullet for Halo CE considering that all I see a Guerrilla for Mac with a horrible UI at that? There's reasons that Sparky should be called out for what he truly is. A con artist.

Contrary to the above the difference between sparkies project and many other con's are the following:

1. He has posted screen shots.

2. He has posted videos.

3. he has even shared out splices of his code for authentication.

k.?

sparky

Posted: Jun 14, 2015 04:32 PM    Msg. 10 of 106       

Edited by sparky on Aug 20, 2015 at 01:38 PM

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Jun 14, 2015 06:19 PM    Msg. 11 of 106       
Wow, this game is so complex, and I thought I was good at modding it xD, also I'm going to make a multiplayer minicampaing just in case.

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Jun 15, 2015 01:35 AM    Msg. 12 of 106       
Isnt Cheat Engine the program thats mainly used for tweaking values in a program and changing them? I used once when I was I child for social networks games, it have potential but I never thought I could be used on HCE. Its wierd how the sale tools have diferent uses.

Sparky, 2 questions. I wnet to your page but I didnt find the register
Second, how can send you the INCY files, there already taged and in the format you asked for

sparky

Posted: Jun 15, 2015 10:27 AM    Msg. 13 of 106       

Edited by sparky on Aug 20, 2015 at 01:46 PM

rododoonceagain

Left Halo because life

Posted: Jun 20, 2015 12:55 PM    Msg. 14 of 106       
Out of curiosity: why don't you work with the OS team? Your mod, to be widely used, should be OS-compatible, and having every feature in a single program wouldn't be bad.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jun 20, 2015 03:35 PM    Msg. 15 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: rododoonceagain
Out of curiosity: why don't you work with the OS team? Your mod, to be widely used, should be OS-compatible, and having every feature in a single program wouldn't be bad.

It would probably make more sense for each to go there seperare ways and then meet up at the end.

Irremovable forces and all that...

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jun 20, 2015 04:20 PM    Msg. 16 of 106       
I agree with rododo actually. Wasn't HAC2 and OS supposed to work together at one point?

General_101

Apparently all I post is spam.

Posted: Jun 20, 2015 05:04 PM    Msg. 17 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
I agree with rododo actually. Wasn't HAC2 and OS supposed to work together at one point?

I would love those two to put all of their features into one mod instead of having two separate mods tbh.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jun 20, 2015 08:09 PM    Msg. 18 of 106       
I think Btcc tried to contact the OS team before, but for some reason there was conflict and nothing ever came out of it.

sparky

Posted: Jun 20, 2015 11:09 PM    Msg. 19 of 106       

Edited by sparky on Aug 20, 2015 at 01:38 PM

Frosted Poison

Rambo is a welfie: https://youtu.be/rOvcj94Y4vU

Posted: Jun 21, 2015 09:29 AM    Msg. 20 of 106       
You're a fraud Sparky! A FRAUD!

Super Flanker

Posted: Jun 21, 2015 09:30 AM    Msg. 21 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: Frosted Poison
You're a fraud Sparky! A FRAUD!

Sup frosty?

A question about halo ce's memory state btw. Does it allow "hot upgrades" to be implemented or is it completely locked and therefore very hard to configure?
Edited by SS Flanker on Jun 21, 2015 at 09:32 AM

Frosted Poison

Rambo is a welfie: https://youtu.be/rOvcj94Y4vU

Posted: Jun 21, 2015 09:42 AM    Msg. 22 of 106       
Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
Sup frosty?

Why yes. The Devil herself is already here. No need to freak out. :^)

sparky

Posted: Jun 21, 2015 12:41 PM    Msg. 23 of 106       

Edited by sparky on Aug 20, 2015 at 01:39 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Jun 21, 2015 01:06 PM    Msg. 24 of 106       
Ah so it isn't as simple as I thought. Well thank you for the detailed report.

sparky

Posted: Jun 22, 2015 11:26 PM    Msg. 25 of 106       

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jun 23, 2015 03:24 PM    Msg. 26 of 106       
Playing with myself

Hot.

sparky

Posted: Jun 23, 2015 03:49 PM    Msg. 27 of 106       

Super Flanker

Posted: Jun 23, 2015 04:05 PM    Msg. 28 of 106       
Cool.

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 04:07 AM    Msg. 29 of 106       
I sent this guy a PM about a year or so ago about the OS team, but I believe he said he wasn't interested.

I'd like to see some of that syncing theory with the devices come to light finally. I remember you mentioning that sometime around last year in another thread.

sparky

Posted: Jun 25, 2015 03:53 AM    Msg. 30 of 106       

Mootjuh

Hilariously derailing oneliner

Posted: Jun 25, 2015 10:36 AM    Msg. 31 of 106       
Get to research on how to assign a controller to player 2 and we can have splitscreen.

sparky

Posted: Jun 25, 2015 11:36 AM    Msg. 32 of 106       

thellt

chiperdilly the great 1999-2017

Posted: Jun 27, 2015 12:31 PM    Msg. 33 of 106       
I used ida pro on halo before. its cool stuffs

sparky

Posted: Jun 27, 2015 05:50 PM    Msg. 34 of 106       

DOOM899

{DM} [gamesmaster] if i can ill help maybe

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 04:31 AM    Msg. 35 of 106       

Finally, a modicum of success, after 3 days of figuratively beating my head against the wall.

http://i.imgur.com/3IkskvK.png

(I edited out the IP and port information from the image.) You can see how I was successful in sending and receiving data between my Windows 7 program and my HaloMD plugin.

I credit pretty much all this progress to these two sources:

Windows C# and .NET Networking Code (even though it is not asynchronous, it WORKS, and the "Setting Up Communication Between a Server and a Client" step-by-step table is what I needed to see, along with the code from the included YouTube video, as a quick test.

OS X Networking Code Example -- and Networking has the emphasis on "working"; Apple does no favors here, been there, tried that.

I also had to do some port mapping or whatnot, so I'll have to continue testing the basics. Then I'll do this server side so that it's asynchronous.

But after a great deal of annoyance, there is finally some sort of progress, which means a pretty straight path forward.

After I get this working properly, with synchronized device groups, I'm going to add some more things to the interface of ZSM to make it more user-friendly. It won't be perfect, but it'll work if you follow this basic approach:

- Make a new haloded.exe server that is password-protected with sv_password.
- Open Zeus Server Manager, choose your haloded.exe from the popup list, click the "Use" button. Then select the first server entry from the list on the left and check the options you want for synchronization.
- Switch back to the haloded.exe console and unlock the server with sv_password "".

Then anyone who is joining your server and using whatever HaloMD extension or Zeus DLL or whatever other client-side thing I make will have their game data synchronized with your server. That's the overall approach, where the server runs the separate .exe and the clients have plugins for HaloMD or Halo.

--

In my testing, I did not need to forward ports on the client side. I just needed to click the "Allow" button for the notice that shows when Zeus (Zeus Server Manager) is being used. This makes an Inbound rule which you can see in Windows Firewall. I did not need to make an Outbound rule for Zeus ... yet.
Edited by sparky on Jun 27, 2015 at 07:58 PM

--

I'm making my synchronizations intelligent, so that it can discriminate between when it should synchronize the information and when it shouldn't synchronize the information, in order to avoid spamming players with pointless network traffic.
Edited by sparky on Jun 27, 2015 at 10:46 PM
so less lag online will you test players that have 600 ping?

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat December 7, 2019 2:42 AM 312 ms.
A Halo Maps Website