A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[Release] CMT Evolved Core tags - without Open Sauce!

Author Topic: [Release] CMT Evolved Core tags - without Open Sauce! (19 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

MC_3

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 04:57 PM    Msg. 1 of 19       
It's exactly what the title says: all of the tags in the CMT Evolved Core tagset, but with all Open Sauce dependency gone, and I optimized them for size. Now you don't need OS to use TSC:E tags!

Since you can only have two grenade types without OS, I replaced the regular grenade HUDs with the H1 Spirit version, that only has Frag and Plasma grenades. The old, 4 grenade version is still there, if you want to use it for some reason. I also removed all normal map bitmaps from the tagset, since they can't be used without OS anyway. That saves a lot of size for the download.

I also made all units use their full animation sets, since the non-full versions seem to be really cut down, in a way specific to TSC:E... they take out some important things, like Banshee animations. Unfortunately, the full versions all had more Unit animations than normal tool.exe allows, so I had to cut some. I took out Ball Shade Gunner animations, since the Ball Shade doesn't work without OS scripts. I also had to take out some dropship seats, since the new Phantom seats were added alongside the old Spirit seats. If you really need all those slots though... you should probably just make a second dropship!

Oh, and I just went ahead and threw in the fixed tags in their actual folders. So, you don't need to do anything but copy and paste the tags folder onto your tags folder. I even threw in fixed Spirit and Pelican physics, in case you're working from the broken HEK+ campaign tagset. (You still need to get the vanilla campaign tags on your own. That's way too many for me to include, but you can find them really easy.)

Anyway, that's enough rambling. Here's a link: https://www.mediafire.com/?5iz7tc3smb6gc6q

Be careful, I included the campaign globals as tags/globals/globals.globals! Without OS, you have to replace this vanilla tag to get the right globals. Make sure you back up your current globals tag first, before replacing! There's also a globals_mp.globals tag for multiplayer. Rename the included globals to "globals_sp.globals", and the globals_mp version to just "globals.globals", whenever you're building a multiplayer map.

Enjoy! I hope we can start to get more maps using these tags now. Please post in here if you run into errors, in case I missed anything. Don't come to me if you're just running over tool.exe limits, though... there's no way you can use all the tags in here at once, without hitting some kind of limit.

Proof: the tags in b40.map, running without OS!

http://i.imgur.com/o0smocR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GsP8btx.jpg

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 05:26 PM    Msg. 2 of 19       
Great, and that may help some learning to use OS by doing the re os conversion and finding errors

Kinnet

Don't feed the hand that bites you.

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 05:48 PM    Msg. 3 of 19       
Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for

beaucephal

CMT SPv3 audio dude

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 05:57 PM    Msg. 4 of 19       
Why all the hate for OS? Not trying to troll here, just from my POV it adds a ton of really nifty and useful tools, as well as expanded limits for the engine, yet when I bring it up, a lot of people go "ew, opensauce" or something similar.

What's not to like?

Kinnet

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 06:01 PM    Msg. 5 of 19       
Yep it adds useful tools and a lot of incompatibilities and exceptions
Edited by Kinnet on Jun 24, 2015 at 06:02 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 06:31 PM    Msg. 6 of 19       
People don't like change. Or learning stuff. Because laziness. And because they're dumb.

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 06:36 PM    Msg. 7 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet

Yep it adds useful tools and a lot of incompatibilities and exceptions
Edited by Kinnet on Jun 24, 2015 at 06:02 PM

There are no "incompatibilities," unless you're running a totally obsolete shoebox, or choosing one program over another. Namely, one that prioritizes Halo's multiplayer aspect rather than all-around upgrades.

Exceptions only plague the inexperienced.

Kinnet

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 06:48 PM    Msg. 8 of 19       
Why don't you try to play "ambush.map" with OS

MatthewDratt

CE3 - Takedown - HaloCE3.com

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 07:00 PM    Msg. 9 of 19       
As much as I love os, it can be pretty clunky on the mp end. I actually have a whole other install just for hac and mp

beaucephal

CMT SPv3 audio dude

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 07:10 PM    Msg. 10 of 19       
Fair enough. I'm not really a multiplayer kind of guy, so my exposure to how it works in that regard is basically nil. Still, I'd love to see more SP projects using OS as a base, as gosh-darn does proper normal+specular ever look pretty.

Bungie LLC

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 07:28 PM    Msg. 11 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
Why don't you try to play "ambush.map" with OS

I can play it just fine?

If you're talking about the XG server that usually has people, that's someone else's fault. I can't join that one either, but I assume I'm just banned there or something. I can play on any other Ambush server with no problems.

NeX

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 09:29 PM    Msg. 12 of 19       
Because multiplayer.

Most people aren't going to go out and download open sauce to play Halo CE. Mainly because most people still playing (PLAYERS not MODDERS) don't have PCs that are capable of handling lots of post processing at high framerates.

Therefore, they're going to just end up disabling them if they have OS (pretty much defeating the purpose), and the OS playerbase is pretty much nil for MP.

SP, it's completely worth it - lots of added features and a lot of great graphics.

MP, it's the exact opposite. The handful of MP OS maps I've played are laughable in that they require so much of a pain in the butt to manage playing (OS' map downloading is a joke) for so little, so no one bothers.

MP is where most of the people are.

You can play SP for a few rounds, maybe 5-10 times per map, but after that it just gets old. MP brings something different to the table every time. You can disagree as a matter of opinion, but MP is what's kept Halo CE alive for as long as it has. If CE was SP only, it wouldn't have survived the turn of the decade.

Add all that together, and you get a decision for content creators looking to make MP maps -

1) make it for regular Halo, make it as well as you can, and you might have some people enjoy it. You will get endless criticism for not "saucing dem shaderz", but at least you can join a server and play your maps with other people and have fun.

2) make it for OS, have people say "Oh lawdy, finallyz an OS MP map!", and you end up playing one or two mod-night style planned events with other people with OS installed, after which all that time and effort fades into the sands of time.

Most people will choose option 1, because it's not only less work involved, but a higher return on investment.

Personally, I'd love to make all of Revolution completely OS-based, but I'm not going to spend months redoing all the tags with the sauced extras, for the 10 people who actually play .yelo multiplayer maps.

I can't even do an OS .map, because "hur dur 128MB limit iz rules!"

It's not. Remove the 128MB check from OS compliling .maps, because it's not 1999 anymore. We've been through this 1000x, go download any current Rev map on any server, and get it to exception because of an issue caused by the data cap extension. Then let me know. It won't happen. Hasn't in over a year. If your map exceptions >128BM, but <Halo's Map Cache Limit (around 500MB), then it's a tag problem. Regardless of stigma.

Bungie LLC

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 10:44 PM    Msg. 13 of 19       
Boy that is one long-winded, merry-go-round of a post. Allow me to put this as succinctly as possible.

The mainline Halo CE MP group is filled with people that I despise, and I have no desire to be a meaningful part of it. OS wasn't designed to cater to that specific cesspool.

Do I hate Halo CE's MP? Absolutely not. In fact, I agree that MP is a top-tier feature. Thing is, I don't like to participate in the main MP body, and when I do, it's probably just because I'm just that bored. Conversely, I do like to participate in small private games amongst groups of friends that I've met over the years in a recreational sense. For this, I usually build maps with OS, because of the superior features I can implement in the maps I produce for the group. In the end, who cares? You and the crowd may have an affinity for roses, but I prefer the violets.

TL;DR: I like engine upgrades. HAC doesn't do anything besides augment a few post-production aspects. OpenSauce is the abstract Velvet Underground for people who like to build, whereas HAC2 would be the easily-accessible mainstream who just wanna play.

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Jun 25, 2015 01:13 AM    Msg. 14 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Bungie LLC
The mainline Halo CE MP group is filled with people that I despise, and I have no desire to be a meaningful part of it. OS wasn't designed to cater to that specific cesspool.

I'm sure they miss your presence in MP matches too.
OS was indeed designed to be used by advanced, intelligent, c00L people such as yourself. Surely it was never intended for, ahem, "autists" as you so love to call them :-)

Here's my take on it: there's only one map that is worth having OS installed for. Of course I'm talking about TSC:E. However, I've already had my run through that map, and I have no reason to keep it installed anymore. Incompatibilities with HAC2, that from what I've read could have been fixed by the OS team if they cared even just a little bit, made it that much easier to choose for keeping HAC2.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jun 25, 2015 01:38 AM    Msg. 15 of 19       
Singleplayer master race
I'm lonely

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Jun 25, 2015 01:58 AM    Msg. 16 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
I've read could have been fixed by the OS team if they cared even just a little bit, made it that much easier to choose for keeping HAC2.

And, considering btc-22 or whoever is behind OS doesn't really care either, he's not going to fix it.

Bungie LLC

Posted: Jun 25, 2015 02:40 AM    Msg. 17 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode

Yeah, and since you're going to garnish the first bit of your post with some sweet ad hominems because you don't like what I'm saying, no one who even has at least half a brain is going to care what you think either way. Same thing could be said with the other 20 alternate accounts of yours that you've ruined by doing the same thing. The only thing you ever "contribute" anymore are blogs about ameteur game dev updates, cringingly bad funny-jokes like the intentional re-formatting of certain words like "tartar sauce," as if you've deluded yourself into thinking that's still funny, and you're trademark sarcastic and simpering posts as if to adhere to the belief that you're some supreme being.

I'm sure it would take the entirety of maybe 5 minutes for someone brand-new to figure out you're just some manchild with ego and supremacy issues. Especially with that funny logic about "inferior grammar" and all that nonsense that only edgy kids online use to reassure themselves once they feel threatened, etc.

I could go on, but of course I'm not going to, because that would be an overall waste of everyone else's time. To cut to the chase: you're an idiot, and you have been for years. At this point, I think an average Joe would've grown up a bit and done a reformatting of their personality, but I don't believe you got lucky enough to ever hit that milestone. So, here we are. Maybe next time, you could avoid letting your "keyboard warrior" complex come out and stop putting a face on my posts. You asked for it.
Edited by Bungie LLC on Jun 25, 2015 at 02:50 AM

snark567

Duck bombs donít intimidate carnivorous deer.

Posted: Jun 25, 2015 06:39 AM    Msg. 18 of 19       
Awesome! Can you add the tags to every map of the campaign? Sapien doesn't work for me anymore.

Perla117

The Last Italian On This Forum

Posted: Oct 5, 2015 10:36 AM    Msg. 19 of 19       
I download the file but is corrup...

Someone can give it to me?

Thanks

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat October 21, 2017 9:02 PM 391 ms.
A Halo Maps Website