A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Hello to everyone

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Hello to everyone (47 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Tordah

He gets right on to the friction of the day

Posted: Jun 26, 2015 08:35 PM    Msg. 1 of 47       
Hello to everyone here. I'm new here so i'd like first off say how impressed I am with haloCE and its community. 12 years old and still evolving! I haven’t really played games online in a while but I’m pretty happy with what I see in haloCE. I played haloPC in the summer of 2004 but I was pretty wrapped up in soldier of fortune 2 so I didn’t stick with halo as much. Anyway unfortunately I missed out on the development and and progression of haloCE. In hindsight I wish I had stuck with halo, It has aged very nicely. In fact it seems I stumbled upon it at a fruitful time with the release of TSC:E and SPV3 showing signs of life. What else .. I think I have things running the way they should. HaloCE 1.0.10 with OS 4.0 and the Universal UI. Also I think HAC2 is working ok with OS with this HAC.dll that is supposed to allow them to tolerate each other. Not really sure yet how most people deal with OS and HAC2.

I tried Halo online with the El Dewrito thing. It was pretty, but I had more fun with haloCE. Part of it was there were only like 14 people playing in the western US server… Anyway enough about halo online…

Im still collecting maps I see being used in MP. Bigass is fun, It seems to have a long rich history. As soon as I jumped into the back of a truck and everybody started headbanging to the music I knew haloCE was for me. People haven’t seem to catch on that there is a final version, most servers are still using the previous one…

I’ve been able to answer almost all my questions searching the forum here so thanks to all of you for your help. And thanks to Dennis for you great set of rules, I read them all and I think they’re great.

I guess the questions I still have is what are some favorite severs you guys like to play on? How do most people switch between HAC2 and OS, or is that HAC.dll a good fix?

Cheers to you all.

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Jun 26, 2015 08:40 PM    Msg. 2 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tordah
I guess the questions I still have is what are some favorite severs you guys like to play on? How do most people switch between HAC2 and OS, or is that HAC.dll a good fix?

Welcome back!

The solution to the HAC2/OS compatibility is a simple one.
-Install OS and play TSC:E until you're happy or burnt out.
-Uninstall OS and install HAC2

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Jun 26, 2015 08:40 PM    Msg. 3 of 47       
WHY i can't believe this guy, WHY !

sshers4

Posted: Jun 26, 2015 08:42 PM    Msg. 4 of 47       
Hello to everyone here. I'm new here so i'd like first off say how impressed I am with haloCE and its community. 12 years old and still evolving! I haven’t really played games online in a while but I’m pretty happy with what I see in haloCE. I played haloPC in the summer of 2004 but I was pretty wrapped up in soldier of fortune 2 so I didn’t stick with halo as much. Anyway unfortunately I missed out on the development and and progression of haloCE. In hindsight I wish I had stuck with halo, It has aged very nicely. In fact it seems I stumbled upon it at a fruitful time with the release of TSC:E and SPV3 showing signs of life. What else .. I think I have things running the way they should. HaloCE 1.0.10 with OS 4.0 and the Universal UI. Also I think HAC2 is working ok with OS with this HAC.dll that is supposed to allow them to tolerate each other. Not really sure yet how most people deal with OS and HAC2.

I tried Halo online with the El Dewrito thing. It was pretty, but I had more fun with haloCE. Part of it was there were only like 14 people playing in the western US server… Anyway enough about halo online…

Im still collecting maps I see being used in MP. Bigass is fun, It seems to have a long rich history. As soon as I jumped into the back of a truck and everybody started headbanging to the music I knew haloCE was for me. People haven’t seem to catch on that there is a final version, most servers are still using the previous one…

I’ve been able to answer almost all my questions searching the forum here so thanks to all of you for your help. And thanks to Dennis for you great set of rules, I read them all and I think they’re great.

Cheers to you all.
welcome back.

OS and HAC2 don't really like each other, however I perfer HAC2 it makes everything simple. But with OS you only need that for maps like T.S.C.E.

If you haven't played it you need to download the map and open sause.

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: Jun 26, 2015 08:56 PM    Msg. 5 of 47       

Edited by sparky on Aug 20, 2015 at 01:28 PM

StormUndBlackbird

https://youtube.com/StormUndBlackbird

Posted: Jun 26, 2015 08:58 PM    Msg. 6 of 47       

Good to see that atleast someone informs himself along the way to make explaining things easier :P

I like «XF»CUSTOM'S server under 173.199.101.159:2302. It offers a huge variety of custom maps in a cycle with interesting gametypes, plus, I rarely see the server being left droughted.

Servers with h2_ascension, like 74.91.122.199:2302, tend to be full and offer some quick fun.

There was this one server I did like, can't find it anymore though. It featured stock maps, but the gametypes it keeps on showing to us is just plain rediculous. It won't be hard to find yourself on team slayer while everyone's using a banshee while flying cannonballs in Danger Canyon or what not.

Leaving out the bigass servers, as you've already informed yourself on that :P

From other perspectives, the common response I hear on the HAC2 and OS issue is that people use two seperate installs to use their full respective functions without clashing one another, myself included. The odds are that you'll hear the OS being singleplayer-only dominant, whereas HAC2 takes up the multiplayer side. Both are generously nice to have indeed.
Edited by StormUndBlackbird on Jun 26, 2015 at 08:58 PM

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: Jun 26, 2015 09:04 PM    Msg. 7 of 47       

Edited by sparky on Aug 20, 2015 at 01:28 PM

renegade343

CE3 Stage Modeler, Editor, and Writer

Posted: Jun 26, 2015 09:19 PM    Msg. 8 of 47       
Welcome (back?) to our community! :D

There'll be these servers running some awesome classics from the history of the Custom Edition community after CE3 next month.
The post-show server's basically an annual game night so it won't be full and hyped all the time, but I think you'll still find the community and the awesome people if you join us after the event!

#shamelessadvertising

Tordah

Posted: Jun 26, 2015 10:04 PM    Msg. 9 of 47       
Thanks you guys. So yes i have been enjoying TSC:E and SPV3 T&R, By the way congrads and thank you to the Custom Map Team, Awesome work! I think I'll try the two separate haloCE installations. I was pondering this but i wasn't sure about the two installs drawing from the game folder in my documents. Its just single player save spots and preferences in there so it shouldn't be a problem for two different installs to draw from it right?

renegade343

CE3 Stage Modeler, Editor, and Writer

Posted: Jun 26, 2015 10:10 PM    Msg. 10 of 47       
I remember that Open Sauce refused to install in a non-default directory back when 3.1 came out...

...but then again, that was 3.1. And HAC2 didn't seem to mind when I put that .dll file into the same installation.

Given that, I think it'll work, though there's a chance that Open Sauce'll only work in one of them. (though it might've just been my computer being dumb. Worst comes to worst, you can always just give it a shot and see how that goes?)

TheHaloKnight

Who's j00! ?

Posted: Jun 26, 2015 11:01 PM    Msg. 11 of 47       
Wow, is amazing seeing more people joining the halo ce community even after 14 years of the release of the game

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Jun 27, 2015 03:20 AM    Msg. 12 of 47       
This forum is basically thanksgiving dinner 365 days a year. Sink or swim, have fun.

Nickster5000

Posted: Jun 27, 2015 03:29 AM    Msg. 13 of 47       
In regards to OpenSauce or HAC...

If you're more of an advanced developer, or you want to play fun mods like TSC:E, SPV3, (and Sector 09 down the road... ^.^) I definitely recommend you use OpenSauce. I feel that it is tailored more to the development end of things.

If you're a hardcore multiplayer that loves playing online, then I recommend HAC. It gives you all of the customization you need to give you a fun experience in the online servers.

That's my two cents on it, and I'm glad to see an optimistic and kind person join us on the forums here. I hope you have fun in Halo CE, and enjoy your stay! :D

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jun 27, 2015 04:20 AM    Msg. 14 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: xnx
This forum is basically thanksgiving dinner 365 days a year. Sink or swim, have fun.

The accuracy of this statement is so intense I kind of had a moment.

Roushyy

Character animator.

Posted: Jun 27, 2015 04:27 AM    Msg. 15 of 47       
Welcome!
I'm not new here, I just needed a fresh start.
Make the best out of it, and don't fall into the trap of trolling. It's a bad idea.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jun 27, 2015 05:51 AM    Msg. 16 of 47       
Hello green horn~!

Tordah

Posted: Jun 27, 2015 04:56 PM    Msg. 17 of 47       
I definitely will not be trolling lol. Its just not me. And i wont be responding to it ether. Thanks for the warm welcome. And thanks for the info renegade343, Nickster5000, and Zetren. I'm not to worried about saving space but this is all a good bit of info that i will tuck away. I'm really enjoying both TSC:E/SPV3 and Multiplayer quite a bit so i'm gonna give the separate installs a go given what you've told me. Although, I have had really no problems with my current install. I have both OS 4.0 and HAC2 installed to the same haloCE directory(loader.dll in the controls folder) and since i put the hac.dll in the main folder the two don't seem to mind each other. Does anyone else use this thing? I'm trying to find the link to it so you can read for yourself about this hac.dll that supposedly get OS and HAC to jive.

Edited by Tordah on Jun 30, 2015 at 07:18 PM

beaucephal

CMT SPv3 audio dude

Posted: Jun 27, 2015 05:53 PM    Msg. 18 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: Zetren
Making two installs isn't space efficient. A better way is to remove dinput8.dll from the Halo CE folder when you want to use HAC2, which is loader.dll; and remove loader.dll from Halo CE when you want to use Open Sauce, which is dinput8.dll. This way the map folder is always shared.

HCE's install footprint is so small that it's really not unfeasible to do. Hell, last time I checked, the base install was just a few hundred megabytes! I mean if you're running a ton of custom maps, then it's going to inflate fairly dramatically, but even then, there's no multiplayer maps that use OS, and there's no singleplayer maps that use HAC2 (at least to the best of my knowledge), so you'll likely have a completely different mapset for each regardless.

Oh, and welcome, Tordah!

Tordah

Posted: Jun 28, 2015 12:05 PM    Msg. 19 of 47       
Ok here's the link to the hac.dll
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=47838

despite people having problems with it i have had no issues with it.

so i have the loader.dll in controls folder, dinput8.dll and hac.dll in the main folder.
I'm gonna keep going with this for a bit just to keep testing it.

I did however get my two separate installs (one for OS and one for HAC2) working just fine. and it was nice having only a few single player maps in my OS maps folder and having only multiplayer maps in my HAC2 maps folder.

Edited by Tordah on Jun 28, 2015 at 12:06 PM

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jun 28, 2015 12:48 PM    Msg. 20 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: beaucephal
Quote: --- Original message by: Zetren
Making two installs isn't space efficient. A better way is to remove dinput8.dll from the Halo CE folder when you want to use HAC2, which is loader.dll; and remove loader.dll from Halo CE when you want to use Open Sauce, which is dinput8.dll. This way the map folder is always shared.

HCE's install footprint is so small that it's really not unfeasible to do. Hell, last time I checked, the base install was just a few hundred megabytes! I mean if you're running a ton of custom maps, then it's going to inflate fairly dramatically, but even then, there's no multiplayer maps that use OS, and there's no singleplayer maps that use HAC2 (at least to the best of my knowledge), so you'll likely have a completely different mapset for each regardless.

Oh, and welcome, Tordah!

The majority of space is held by the stock maps, so you can always get rid of those too.

Welcome too CE :).

Tordah

Posted: Jun 28, 2015 06:37 PM    Msg. 21 of 47       
Quote: Jolly good sire. Make sure to install the universal UI and take a look here too https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/3066503/

Hey Zetren I actually bookmarked that page a week ago while i was "Super learning" about haloCE it was a great help! Thanks for writing it up.
Edited by Tordah on Jun 29, 2015 at 01:57 PM

Megatron

Working on something good.

Posted: Jun 29, 2015 08:23 PM    Msg. 22 of 47       
Nice to have you here Tordah, I indeed hope you enjoy what Halo Custom Edition has to offer as of recent, and I also hope you enjoy what many of us will share with you in the future.

If you plan to release something soon, I'll see if I can get around to checking it out, and hopefully I'll be able to help you if you need something on the road ahead.
Edited by Megatron on Jun 29, 2015 at 08:23 PM

thellt

chiperdilly the great 1999-2017

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 01:31 AM    Msg. 23 of 47       
welcome to the group. i hope youre time here is fun. i try to participate my best but its also easy to feel attacked too.... anyways. wish you well here. as does everyone else who actually does try to promote positive feedback. :)
Edited by thellt on Jun 30, 2015 at 01:34 AM

DOOM899

{DM} [gamesmaster] if i can ill help maybe

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 04:42 AM    Msg. 24 of 47       
G'dday NICE TA MET YA what do you use hac 2 or os?.because the mp map im modding and the one in make will be os full on
Edited by DOOM899 on Jun 30, 2015 at 04:43 AM

Tordah

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 12:29 PM    Msg. 25 of 47       
Quote: If you plan to release something soon, I'll see if I can get around to checking it out, and hopefully I'll be able to help you if you need something on the road ahead.

Thanks i appreciate that. I don't know if my skill set is all that helpful for modding here. I took a maya class back in highschool and then went more of a CAD direction. Now I use solidworks everyday at work (and at home). I can pretty much draw anything in solidworks(as far as parts go) but I've never heard of anyone using it to draw up something for a video game. Anyway I mostly design parts and then fabricate them, its lots of fun. If you guys care to see i can post a few pics of things ive made. I do have a deep understanding of 3D modeling parts that will function in the real world. But knowing an appropriate poly count for a game object, i haven't got a clue. But hey I'm here to learn.

Quote: welcome to the group. i hope youre time here is fun. i try to participate my best but its also easy to feel attacked too.... anyways. wish you well here. as does everyone else who actually does try to promote positive feedback. :)

I'm all about respectful criticism and positive feedback. :)

Quote:
G'dday NICE TA MET YA what do you use hac 2 or os?.because the mp map im modding and the one in make will be os full on

I use both! I have a separate CE install for each.
Edited by Tordah on Jun 30, 2015 at 03:01 PM

Frosted Poison

Rambo is a welfie: https://youtu.be/rOvcj94Y4vU

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 03:04 PM    Msg. 26 of 47       
Hi there, just don't be a filthy casual and you'll git gud in random Halo servers in no time.

I guarantee you on that.
Edit: btw what is your favorite Metroid game?
Edited by Frosted Poison on Jun 30, 2015 at 03:15 PM

Juzo

Just delete my account really

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 03:11 PM    Msg. 27 of 47       
Welcome to Halomaps, hope you enjoy your stay and it's always nice to see new people join around here.

Best of luck to ya

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 03:25 PM    Msg. 28 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: Frosted Poison

what is your favorite Metroid game?
Edited by Frosted Poison on Jun 30, 2015 at 03:15 PM

Not a question for me but will gladly answer anyway, Prime 2 Echo's, I played the games multiplayer with my brother a few times :V

Frosted Poison

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 03:28 PM    Msg. 29 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
Not a question for me but will gladly answer anyway, Prime 2 Echo's, I played the games multiplayer with my brother a few times :V

Have you played Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Dolphin Emulator lately? I setup that game with a mouse and keyboard control scheme and oh lawdy~. It was the best thing ever.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 03:30 PM    Msg. 30 of 47       
I'm currently getting all the parts ready to make a new computer, so I'm mostly posting from my phone, funny you mention that though since I plan on doing the pikmin series on dolphin when I get my new PC... heh.

Frosted Poison

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 03:31 PM    Msg. 31 of 47       
I'm currently getting all the parts ready to make a new computer, so I'm mostly posting from my phone, funny you mention that though since I plan on doing the pikmin series on dolphin when I get my new PC... heh.

May I see your future computer specs please?

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 03:34 PM    Msg. 32 of 47       
I'll just type them down quickly. (I don't remember all the names exactly, as I'm building it and ordering it with my dad :l)

Gigabyte GTX 970

Intel Core i7 4790k

16 GB of ram

250 GB SSD

A lot of some other stuff will be salvaged from my old computer :l

Frosted Poison

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 03:37 PM    Msg. 33 of 47       
I'll just type them down quickly. (I don't remember all the names exactly, as I'm building it and ordering it with my dad :l)

Gigabyte GTX 970

Intel Core i7 4790k

16 GB of ram

250 GB SSD

A lot of some other stuff will be salvaged from my old computer :l

I'd send you something lewd for getting a GTX 970 like me, but not on this forum. That GTX 970 alone just made me have...

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 05:26 PM    Msg. 34 of 47       
please keep the meme image cancer in /v/

thank you

Frosted Poison

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 05:27 PM    Msg. 35 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: Bungie LLC
please keep the meme image cancer in /v/

thank you

Go be a faggot somewhere else. kthx.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue February 18, 2020 1:23 AM 531 ms.
A Halo Maps Website