A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »new hud overlay and sheild charge for my new campian map ce3

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: new hud overlay and sheild charge for my new campian map ce3 (67 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

thellt

chiperdilly the great 1999-2017

Posted: Jun 29, 2015 04:38 PM    Msg. 1 of 67       
https://youtu.be/iCiOLapZkeM
note: theres a delay in audio im sorry fraps was being a pos....

i made a new sheild charge using goldwave and i also made a new overlay in pdn. suggestions, comments?

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Jun 29, 2015 04:47 PM    Msg. 2 of 67       
The overlay should be more transparent (see-through) and use a less bright color.
It takes up a lot of the screen's space and it covers up the HUD too. That could be distracting or annoying.

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Jun 29, 2015 04:47 PM    Msg. 3 of 67       
......and i thougt my BG mod was crappy.

thellt

Posted: Jun 29, 2015 04:50 PM    Msg. 4 of 67       
okay, first of all this isnt me showing off bsp, look at the title again. bg is one 3rd of the current bsp, and more will be in here soon. this is a peice of the multiplayer. and its not by any means final nor am i showing you any of the greatest stuff. im trying to show you the shield sounds, as well as the overlay bitmap
Edited by thellt on Jun 29, 2015 at 04:52 PM

btw thanks ai. i will me making it more transparent.

Edited by thellt on Jun 29, 2015 at 04:58 PM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jun 29, 2015 07:41 PM    Msg. 5 of 67       
You should move everything out towards the edges of the screen too. it takes a lot of the screen space for no reason (im confused as to why you have so many odd hexes). The actual HUD outline should be nearly invisible really so that it doesn't distract. The shield charging sound was cool but it didn't quite turn off when it needed to, so im not sure how I feel about that part.

thellt

Posted: Jun 29, 2015 09:06 PM    Msg. 6 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
You should move everything out towards the edges of the screen too. it takes a lot of the screen space for no reason (im confused as to why you have so many odd hexes). The actual HUD outline should be nearly invisible really so that it doesn't distract. The shield charging sound was cool but it didn't quite turn off when it needed to, so im not sure how I feel about that part.

theres a delay in the audio of the video. the sound works perfectly ingame

NeX

Posted: Jun 29, 2015 09:16 PM    Msg. 7 of 67       
Great. Scrap that and design a new one completely from scratch based on what you learned while creating that one. That design will be slightly better, and will let you learn enough to get the basics of making that visor. Once you get a few iterations of this under your belt, you'll be ready to design an actual HUD.

This one now, is not ready for anything. It's maybe, maybe, a good learning process that taught you how to get an image into an overlaid position on the HUD.

It made me vomit.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Jun 29, 2015 09:30 PM    Msg. 8 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: NeX
Great. Scrap that and design a new one completely from scratch based on what you learned while creating that one. That design will be slightly better, and will let you learn enough to get the basics of making that visor. Once you get a few iterations of this under your belt, you'll be ready to design an actual HUD.

This one now, is not ready for anything. It's maybe, maybe, a good learning process that taught you how to get an image into an overlaid position on the HUD.

It made me vomit.

While I expected eye-bleeding instead, I guess this is a somewhat normal response too xD

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jun 29, 2015 09:36 PM    Msg. 9 of 67       
I'm going to state my honest opinion.
It's bad. HUD elements don't add up nicely, and the overall feeling is very messy.
It just looks like a third rate Reach HUD with weird hexagons on top.

Protip: Listen to NeX.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Jun 29, 2015 10:41 PM    Msg. 10 of 67       
It looks really bad. It's way too opaque and serves no apparent function. I was watching the video through my phone but it looks like the visor changes color based on health. Not a bad idea but you should implement it better.

thellt

Posted: Jun 29, 2015 10:48 PM    Msg. 11 of 67       
"I'm going to state my honest opinion.
It's bad. HUD elements don't add up nicely, and the overall feeling is very messy.
It just looks like a third rate Reach HUD with weird hexagons on top. "
hey im trying to show you ONE bitmap not all of the hud.... its a wip

i respect that you had not flinged hatred spartan

for you other folks specifically these ones:
"It made me vomit."
"It looks really bad. It's way too opaque and serves no apparent function."
youre all really nice people.... halo 3 overlay sucks to you too i guess then so does anything else creative with a different style than anything you think halo needs.....

anyone else want to dish out crap before i make you all swallow it?
Edited by thellt on Jun 29, 2015 at 11:07 PM
Edited by thellt on Jun 29, 2015 at 11:10 PM
Edited by thellt on Jun 29, 2015 at 11:11 PM
Edited by thellt on Jun 29, 2015 at 11:12 PM

General_101

Apparently all I post is spam.

Posted: Jun 29, 2015 11:29 PM    Msg. 12 of 67       
Why don't you go flaunt your ego elsewhere. Oh, wait! This is Halomaps so carry on then.

thellt

Posted: Jun 29, 2015 11:45 PM    Msg. 13 of 67       
why dont you troll people elsewhere oh wait this is halomaps! we dont respect work/people here!

the sheild sound only took me from 11 am to 5 pm one entire day to make, and the bitmap only took 5 hours too! thats a LOT of time in a couple of days that i dont have usually to work on this stuff.
note: i have a job and family to help too! and 2 suicidal freinds, and one who i sacrificed other freindships for and also pets and house repairs to do! not easy here. im not saying you all dont have things going on in your lives that makes it difficult, im saying lets be kind to eachothers work? eh? you dont know what goes into it.
Edited by thellt on Jun 29, 2015 at 11:50 PM

check dis shet out:

Edited by thellt on Jun 30, 2015 at 12:16 AM
Edited by thellt on Jun 30, 2015 at 12:17 AM

not giraffe

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 12:51 AM    Msg. 14 of 67       
Did you find the image from google?

thellt

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 12:56 AM    Msg. 15 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: raffgie

nope. its based off of the prototype hud from halo legends. i put my own twist on it.
entirely self made other than the basic outline.... which i can show you what it looks like

this is a recreation of the one by the person who made the prototype. i didnt do this.
Edited by thellt on Jun 30, 2015 at 01:01 AM

not giraffe

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 01:03 AM    Msg. 16 of 67       
I can't see the resemblance. Your HUD overlay might work if you were playing as a giant spider monster.

thellt

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 01:06 AM    Msg. 17 of 67       
I can't see the resemblance. Your HUD overlay might work if you were playing as a giant spider monster.

the idea is a new prototype helmet that noble six gets mysteriously from some unknown entity. part of the reach campain idea explains the origins of this.

this is part of my project. i sumbitted it to ce3
Edited by thellt on Jun 30, 2015 at 01:08 AM
Edited by thellt on Jun 30, 2015 at 01:08 AM

https://soundcloud.com/tony-helt/epicshieldsfinal/s-bAUsQ

and heres my 2.0 shields sounds. please if you rip either, give credit.
Edited by thellt on Jun 30, 2015 at 01:16 AM
Edited by thellt on Jun 30, 2015 at 01:16 AM

Pepzee

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 02:39 AM    Msg. 18 of 67       
It's just too distracting. Do you care about us seeing the design of the HUD or what's behind it? Most would probably say what is behind it as that is where the real action lies.
Edited by Pepzee on Jun 30, 2015 at 02:40 AM

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 12:38 PM    Msg. 19 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: thellt
why dont you troll people elsewhere oh wait this is halomaps! we dont respect work/people here!

Except they aren't trolling. They always complain when someone makes a HUD that blocks their field of view. They are more lenient when the HUD is almost purely transparent. I believe Dennis has even gotten into a few of their discussions on HUDs before, I think his example was the one about planes. Those dashboards with altitude, assent, etc. All of it is based on minimalistic ways of conveying as much information as possible, so it doesn't distract the pilot from actually flying the plane, but its all simply there when needed.

People would be more understanding of why the thing blocked the screen, if it had a purpose. Many games, low health has bloody messes slowly covering the screen; this doubles as a major reminded of how you are dying, shows your agony and how you're body is loosing functions, and makes it difficult to continue combat to try and make you get out of there like a real person would.

Regardless, people most certainly could word their responses more kindly. One major issue though, is how many new people, if they see anything that they can put a spin on their head as positive, they'll ignore all the actual feedback and continue along the same way they where doing it before. In your case, back over when you thing Altis was somehow taking your bitmap, you completely ignored when he stated he grabbed his from google, before you even made your mod. It was many posts later until you even took notice of what he and everyone else was saying. I can actually fully understand people wanting to get single points across here, just because you aren't seeming to get everything that is said.

the sheild sound only took me from 11 am to 5 pm one entire day to make, and the bitmap only took 5 hours too! thats a LOT of time in a couple of days that i dont have usually to work on this stuff.

So?... Just because you spend time on something, doesn't mean anyone has to like it. I could spend years creating a VR world of the 9/11, where you get to walk around looking at peoples horrors as their faces burn off as the plane rips into the building, and your telling me that JUST because I spent years, people have to like that I showed this desecration, and made light of their suffering?

Time means nothing in terms of people liking work or not; it has to be something they would like in the first place. If you made that in 2 seconds, people still wouldn't feel any differently about the design than if it took 5 years.

note: i have a job and family to help too! and 2 suicidal freinds, and one who i sacrificed other freindships for and also pets and house repairs to do! not easy here. im not saying you all dont have things going on in your lives that makes it difficult, im saying lets be kind to eachothers work? eh? you dont know what goes into it.

.. Could you maybe spend that time with these suicidal 'friends' instead, and let them know that they really are your friend?.. If they are friends, it means they will likely enjoy your time, and could possibly help with their condition. Unless they are really into hexagons, and you're making this HUD to cheer them up, I don't see how its relevant..

Base line, you shouldn't be doing any work for halo because you want others to enjoy it, you should be doing stuff because you enjoy it. If you care about others enjoying it, then you should be listening to their feedback instead of insulting anyone who doesn't like it.

NeX

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 01:31 PM    Msg. 20 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422-snip-

/thread

I admire how you took the time to be overtly kindly in the post, I hope your time isn't wasted

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 01:57 PM    Msg. 21 of 67       

nope. its based off of the prototype hud from halo legends. i put my own twist on it.
entirely self made other than the basic outline.... which i can show you what it looks like

http://pre09.deviantart.net/76ec/th/pre/i/2010/241/3/1/halo_prototype_hud___white_by_entereri-d2ux1xu.jpg
this is a recreation of the one by the person who made the prototype. i didnt do this.
Edited by thellt on Jun 30, 2015 at 01:01 AM

It remembers me of the h3 odst dron

thellt

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 02:23 PM    Msg. 22 of 67       
its cool isnt it?

also. this is a responce to kirby.

everyone..... dont tldr this.
tldr = lameness
and tldr != community.
communitys listen.

this is important. this is my voice. do not silence it cause you might not care to listen. please if you got something nice to say please do so. but just listen and acknowledge is all i ask.

dont be the covenant. where the covies refusal to be open minded was their undoing.

here we go.
1. the overlay.... its a single bitmap. the others are going to match and work with the hud when its complete.
note: its not. haha....

2.the bitmap thing with altis, i was mostly saying cool we both used the same bitmap.... i did take notice. i respect the idea of sharing great content. i did that as a pointer to show that great minds think alike. i didnt intend to accuse anyone of anything, i might have made it sound like "he stole my bitmap" that was not the intention. but as comunication glitches seem to arise with someone (me) who cant even function on a normal leval socially, i wrote that incorrectly using the wrong words. i dont comunicate well, this is a fact. sorry for making it sound accusitory. that was not my intention. i also have no idea how to delete posts. or if i can without making it sound like everyone jumps on me, if i could id delete alot of my threads entirely! LOL

3.so you say time means nothing, to everyone? even though ive been working on halo sence i was a child? okay. maybe i should just go back to 12 years of age and start my adult life all over? heck no. i put 11 years of effort in and i darn well better see some of it pay off. :)

4.and i have spent time with those freinds. every day. 4 or 5 hours some days. when i should be worrying about my future im worrying about theirs. i am selflessly helping them as well as others, i do things for freinds even though its against my better judgemnet. we all want to be respected, and cared for. no?

5.) im happy to listen to constructive critisism so long as its not (what i feel to be) a blatent attack on what im trying to achieve or me personally... i respect outide opinions as long as people are willing to be considerate and concious of time and effort.

final notes: i can get volitle when i feel attacked. yes i might have an ego, heck i dont even know what that means, lol. but yes i might easily get defensive. and yes its easy for me to feel attacked.

when youve got PTSD from pysical and verbal abuse, as well as bullying, you dont always know whos on your side or not. pair that with anxiety, social anxiety, panic attacks, paranoia, mood disorder N.O.S., manic depression, autism, ADHD, and many more obfuscating problems, its hard to know when or if people care or not, if people are serious or just joking, and many other social situations... and socially yes im a bit inept. its true. i would like it if people wouldnt be judgemental of that. please understand that i mean well everyone, and im not using this as an excuse but i feel generally horrable most of the time and i want to be friends here with everyone on the fourms.

part of the reason i got into halo was to be a part of a community that cares. id like to be included in the whole halo thing and honestly i feel very left out most of the time.

i never get skype calls from other people than guardian2433, aka rambo, and it sickens me to see that the only time i can get a positive responce or reply is if i bend over backward to tell people that i can achieve too.

ive been working tirelessly on bloodcreek. and nobody wants to help with that.... and im drowning in work and i see no surface to swim to.....

i want to learn, grow and discover new things that i dont know. i want to be included.... i want to learn and not be judged. i want to help and teach and to not judge others.

theory of mind.... we all could use it better. myself included.

can we forget about this rediculousness both on my end and others? i want to contribute but i want to feel welcome in doing so. i will try to be more receptive of the things people got to say.

anyways, trying to keep an open mind.

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 02:41 PM    Msg. 23 of 67       
maybe I can use it for something, if your using it, by experience I tell you to make Alpha chanels at 50% of their brightness so, its less disturbing

Frosted Poison

Rambo is a welfie: https://youtu.be/rOvcj94Y4vU

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 02:55 PM    Msg. 24 of 67       

Naw man, gonna have to stop you right there, since I'm going to breakdown your post for other people to get what you're saying and what my responses to said posts.
Quote: when youve got PTSD from pysical and verbal abuse, as well as bullying, you dont always know whos on your side or not.

I got bullied too, but you know what I did? I went to a therapist to just let it all out and so far it has worked for me.
Quote: pair that with anxiety, social anxiety, panic attacks, paranoia, mood disorder N.O.S., manic depression, autism, ADHD, and many more obfuscating problems, its hard to know when or if people care or not, if people are serious or just joking, and many other social situations... and socially yes im a bit inept.

I don't know if someone you told this, but you cannot have both ADHD and autism at the same time, doctors have told me this since I was and still am curious with how the human brain works. But yeah dude, you should go see a therapist about that stuff. Because you should not be taking mental disorders lightly at all. Take it from someone who has bottled things for 21 years before coming out to my family about my problems.
Quote: i would like it if people wouldnt be judgemental of that. please understand that i mean well everyone, and im not using this as an excuse but i feel generally horrable most of the time and i want to be friends here with everyone on the fourms.

If you don't want people to be judgmental to you, then just act chill and don't get overdramatic about stuff, believe me hun, I been there.
Quote: part of the reason i got into halo was to be a part of a community that cares. id like to be included in the whole halo thing and honestly i feel very left out most of the time.

I don't know about you, but I'm just going to be honest about this community. It's full of assholes. You need thick skin to survive in this community full of assholes, It'll help you a lot, seriously.
Quote: i never get skype calls from other people than guardian2433, aka rambo, and it sickens me to see that the only time i can get a positive responce or reply is if i bend over backward to tell people that i can achieve too.

Dude, don't be a doormat for other people. Once you let that happen, they're just step all over ya. I have left multiple Skype groups because I got tired of being a doormat for those people.
Quote: ive been working tirelessly on bloodcreek. and nobody wants to help with that.... and im drowning in work and i see no surface to swim to.....

Dude, it's been years since you worked on Blood Creek and nothing got done. Just let it go and move on to greener pastures (other modding projects).
Quote: can we forget about this rediculousness both on my end and others? i want to contribute but i want to feel welcome in doing so. i will try to be more receptive of the things people got to say.

People are not going to forget, believe me on that.

My message behind this post is just: Grow a thicker set of skin and you'll be just fine. Don't let the assholes use you as a doormat. btw your HUD seriously needs to be minimalistic because I'm tired of seeing HUDs in Halo CE that take up like 3/4 of screen space just because Halo Reach/Halo 4 had a HUD like that.
Edited by Frosted Poison on Jun 30, 2015 at 02:56 PM

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 03:21 PM    Msg. 25 of 67       
I agree with the post above about just moving on from blood creek, it just seems like its some failed Frankenstein monster that keeps trying to be brought to life. I tried to bring my ideas (outlander) to life for years, it just isn't going to happen, I suggest condensing all the best ideas and just doing something better and more possible out of it.

Frosted Poison

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 03:26 PM    Msg. 26 of 67       
See OP, just move on.
* image removed by admin for incredibly childish bad taste
Edited by Dennis on Jun 30, 2015 at 03:58 PM

thellt

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 04:20 PM    Msg. 27 of 67       
so..... yes ive been diagnosed with adhd, autism and all the above.. and ive seen tharapists sence i was 10. im done with that though cause they tell you to be different than who you are and thats not possible for me. lol (they dont help, trust me)... for the blood creek thing, im the only one working with rambo on it. he calls me every day sometimes 40 times in a week when im away. <no joke. it drives me insane LOL>

Frosted Poison

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 04:26 PM    Msg. 28 of 67       
so..... yes ive been diagnosed with adhd, autism and all the above.. and ive seen tharapists sence i was 10. im done with that though cause they tell you to be different than who you are and thats not possible for me. lol (they dont help, trust me)... for the blood creek thing, im the only one working with rambo on it. he calls me every day sometimes 40 times in a week when im away. <no joke. it drives me insane LOL>

I'm sorry, but you're hopeless. Just step away from the internet for a while and seek professional help again. Because you need it.

thellt

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 05:18 PM    Msg. 29 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: Frosted Poison

I'm sorry, but you're hopeless. Just step away from the internet for a while and seek professional help again. Because you need it.

LOL

Frosted Poison

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 05:32 PM    Msg. 30 of 67       
LOL

Thanks for proving my point.

thellt

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 05:51 PM    Msg. 31 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: Frosted Poison
LOL

Thanks for proving my point.

im fine. i just find that post amusing.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 06:13 PM    Msg. 32 of 67       
ive been working tirelessly on bloodcreek. and nobody wants to help with that.... and im drowning in work and i see no surface to swim to.....

Yeah, I knew about this ever since I found out you were the guy helpimg Rambo with that map. I thought Yoko was taking over it? Anyway, you should probably put your skills to something else. Rambo has tried many many times to suck me into doing the modeling for Bloodcreek but I'm not falling for it. He'd end up piling all kinds of work on me like he no doubt does with you.

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 06:48 PM    Msg. 33 of 67       
I wish there was a default button on this forum that I could press to repost the killer5000 quote.

Frosted Poison

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 06:51 PM    Msg. 34 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: xnx
I wish there was a default button on this forum that I could press to repost the killer5000 quote.

Quote: does anyone here know what it feels like to be hated be everyone
picked on all the time bullyed all the time being home alone nearly everyday every year loseing your sanity
has anyone here been scared of everything hu
being called mental just becuase your diffrent
teachers being happy getting me sent home away from other people being used so people can get money

noone i bet has these troubles

Just save it as a .txt file.

Mootjuh

Hilariously derailing oneliner

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 07:29 PM    Msg. 35 of 67       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse

Yeah, I knew about this ever since I found out you were the guy helpimg Rambo with that map. I thought Yoko was taking over it? Anyway, you should probably put your skills to something else. Rambo has tried many many times to suck me into doing the modeling for Bloodcreek but I'm not falling for it. He'd end up piling all kinds of work on me like he no doubt does with you.

Wait Yoko's doing Blood Creek?

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed February 26, 2020 5:09 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website