A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Dedicated Server Question

Author Topic: Dedicated Server Question (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

x0Z3ro0x

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 02:32 PM    Msg. 1 of 6       
No this is not another topic on how to create a Halo Dedicated Server, I have already done that, however, I have a few questions that are specific to my problem, and people do not enjoy when new members revive old topics, so I will start my own.

First off, please read this whole post before commenting, I am looking to keep halo alive, and want to contribute to this community with quality content, as such I need complete answers from competent users, who are willing to read and understand the question.

Let me explain to you how I got where I am now with my Halo Server, so that you may tell me if the server I created is in error, or I am on the right track but need some tweaking. I downloaded the haloded.exe file. Placed it on my server, downloaded a strings.dll (since it always seems to be missing), and also created an init.txt file.

All these files are placed on the Desktop of the dedicated server in a file called Halo Server. To give you more detail, here is my init.txt file coding on the inside;

sv_name "Zero is back! | 24/7 | Old School Players"
sv_public 1
sv_maxplayers 16
sv_mapcycle_timeout 15
sv_mapvote true
sv_mapcycle_add bloodgulch "TS Snipers"
sv_mapcycle_add beavercreek "TS Rockets"
sv_mapcycle_add bloodgulch "TS Pistols"
sv_mapcycle_add beavercreek "S Nade Wars"
sv_mapcycle_add bloodgulch "TS Nade Wars"
sv_mapcycle_add beavercreek "CTF Shotguns"
sv_mapcycle_add bloodgulch "TS Nade Wars INV"
sv_mapcycle_add beavercreek "TS Pistols"
sv_mapcycle_add bloodgulch "CTF Shotguns"
sv_mapcycle_add beavercreek "TS Snipers INV"
sv_mapcycle_begin

I have port forwarded 2302 for my correct Internal IP 192.168.1.107 (which is the dedicated server), and I make sure the server is added as an exception in both incoming and outgoing connections in the firewall. This is as far as I have gotten, as you can see above I have created some custom game modes, but nothing special, I am working on more game modes now so I can incorporate more maps with those game modes and have it not be so repetitive.

Now that you know the EXACT state of my server and how / what steps I have taken in creating it, let me explain some of the issues I am running into.

1.) When I first start the server, everything works fine. I show up in the Lobby, Lan, and also can use Direct IP. However after about 30-60 minutes of the server not having anyone playing, it seems to "vanish" although the command prompt is still responsive and running.

Now what I mean by Vanish is no methods of connection work, it disappears from the lobby, and LAN screen, and Direct IP fails. I have checked filters to make sure nothing is blocking the server, but then why would Direct IP fail as it has no filters.

2.) The second issue I am running into is the server using the init.txt file to command a map-cycle file. Is there a way I can create a Map-Cycle file and have the server call on it like it does the init.txt file?

To finish off this topic, I would just like to know what I can change / add to improve the quality of the server. I do not mean mods / custom maps, but rather configuration changes, or perhaps server file structure knowledge. I am not new to running dedicated servers, I purchased an actual server station for running dedicated servers at my office. However I am new to Halo Dedicated servers, and I would like to release the best possible server for us Old School members and keep it going till the day I die...which will be the day halo pc dies....

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, I have done lots of Google / YouTube searching, but only have found outdated tutorials or Tutorials that don't work at all. I did use my CD of Halo PC to install it on my server, will this effect my server running when I am playing with the SAME CD key? Also, I need my CD to play halo, but should I buy another copy so I can use the CD when RUNNING the server? Or will it running fine without a CD in?

Thank you and best of wishes,
0Z

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 03:24 PM    Msg. 2 of 6       

Edited by sparky on Aug 20, 2015 at 01:48 PM

x0Z3ro0x

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 03:50 PM    Msg. 3 of 6       
I installed the game via CD, and used the newest patch. When in-game it says my game (On the dedicated server) is 1.0.10. I assume this means that my haloded.exe is the same version? If not how may I check / update the server files. Also where might those be stored, because at current I have three files inside that folder on the desktop.

I was under the idea, that the game files were actually the server files.

I double checked for you, I had disabled my firewall all together, when these problems occurred, but for the record, I have (just now) enabled the fire wall again and made sure the exception is created for both the incoming and outgoing to allow haloded.exe

I didn't think it needed the CD, as everything works when first started, and no errors occur after the server vanishes, but I wasn't sure if that was the case.

Thank you for the quick response, I will be looking forward to that tutorial. I am grateful to have found someone willing to pass their knowledge onto me.

Best of wishes,
0Z

sparky

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 12:08 AM    Msg. 4 of 6       

x0Z3ro0x

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 01:29 AM    Msg. 5 of 6       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Try getting the Halo PC and CE and Halo PC and CE dedicated servers individually here:
https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/64943622/0/0/1

Would it be wise to install Halo CE (Custom edition). Right now only Halo CE PC is installed.

sparky

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 08:55 PM    Msg. 6 of 6       

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon October 14, 2019 8:11 AM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website