A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »This is persistent...

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: This is persistent... (38 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Megatron

Working on something good.

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 01:55 PM    Msg. 1 of 38       
To my fellow community members;

Since the thing with the Halo 3 Scarab currently isn't working out, I've decided to check out CMT's resources, and see if I could master their scripting techniques.

Not too surprisingly, I ran into this while trying to pre-process the scripts using the hspp asset:

File "util/hsanalyzer.py", line 94, in <module>
main(argv)
File "util/hsanalyzer.py", line 33, in main
decls = parse_source(source)
File "util/hsanalyzer.py", line 16, parse_source
return parse_decls(p)
hsparse.py, line 58, in parse_decls
raise parser.syntax_error("I expected a decl")
parse.syntax_error: [out/scenarios/d20/___components.apis.hsc#3 - ('decls', 3) I expected a decl: #include ('src/scenarios/d20/d20_macros.hsh')

Aside from not knowing what a decl is, I have no idea what to do now, aside from cutting out these assets if the problem takes too long to solve.

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 02:29 PM    Msg. 2 of 38       
Is that a .hsc or .hs script? I don't remember much at the moment.

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 02:32 PM    Msg. 3 of 38       
maybe dcls is a decal

teh lag

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 03:34 PM    Msg. 4 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: Megatron
To my fellow community members;

Since the thing with the Halo 3 Scarab currently isn't working out, I've decided to check out CMT's resources, and see if I could master their scripting techniques.

Not too surprisingly, I ran into this while trying to pre-process the scripts using the hspp asset:

File "util/hsanalyzer.py", line 94, in <module>
main(argv)
File "util/hsanalyzer.py", line 33, in main
decls = parse_source(source)
File "util/hsanalyzer.py", line 16, parse_source
return parse_decls(p)
hsparse.py, line 58, in parse_decls
raise parser.syntax_error("I expected a decl")
parse.syntax_error: [out/scenarios/d20/___components.apis.hsc#3 - ('decls', 3) I expected a decl: #include ('src/scenarios/d20/d20_macros.hsh')

Aside from not knowing what a decl is, I have no idea what to do now, aside from cutting out these assets if the problem takes too long to solve.

The tool is telling you that it expected a declaration ('decl') of either a script or a global. Generally the tool says "I expected a ..." when it runs into a syntax error. I apologize for the obtuse error messages that it spits out in general, but it was originally just intended for internal use :p

The error is occurring on line 3 of "out/scenarios/d20/___components.apis.hsc". I did my best to make the tool report which file + line a syntax error was encountered on, and a general idea of what the error is. The final line of the error output provides this information if it is present. The rest of the error message is printed by Python to assist with debugging in case the problem is caused by an actual programming error.

The specific issue you have a #include statement which was not correctly preprocessed. At a glance it looks like your usage of #include is incorrect: you've surrounded the included file path with (''), when the HSPP (and GPP, on which it is based) expects either "" or <>. No parentheses or single quotes!
Edited by teh lag on Aug 11, 2015 at 03:37 PM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 04:43 PM    Msg. 5 of 38       
Programming scares me.

Megatron

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 11:50 PM    Msg. 6 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: teh lag

The specific issue you have a #include statement which was not correctly preprocessed. At a glance it looks like your usage of #include is incorrect: you've surrounded the included file path with (''), when the HSPP (and GPP, on which it is based) expects either "" or <>. No parentheses or single quotes!
Edited by teh lag on Aug 11, 2015 at 03:37 PM

I attempted to replace those with others, and I received the exact same results.

There isn't really any changes to the script other than the directories it points to, aside from that, it's virtually the same. :\

What methods can I use to work around this?

teh lag

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 12:20 AM    Msg. 7 of 38       
"Exact same results"

That would suggest to me that either there is incorrect #include usage elsewhere that needs to be hunted down and fixed; or there are other errors in the script source file with less obvious causes. Could you post the resulting error message after fixing the #includes? Debugging the script builds +/ syntax with the preprocessor is an unpleasant process but usually it only needs to be done once before you get the hang of it.

Since the hsanalyzer tool is basically just providing sanity checks, you can remove it entirely from your build .bat file if you want. If you're using the TSCE / player bonus files as reference, the analyzer is invoked at the very bottom of the script -- just remove those lines and you're good to go. However, if it's failing to parse your script files, I imagine that Sapien's script compilation won't go much better, unless you've uncovered a bug in its parse routine.

I would also double check to be sure that the contents of your /out/ directory are actually being updated when you attempt to rebuild the script files with your latest changes. Sometimes you can end up with stale files that aren't actually the result of your most recent changes, if you've got some input / output directory wired incorrectly. This can be very confusing and it's happened to me many times...
Edited by teh lag on Aug 12, 2015 at 12:25 AM

Megatron

Posted: Aug 14, 2015 07:59 PM    Msg. 8 of 38       
That would suggest to me that either there is incorrect #include usage elsewhere that needs to be hunted down and fixed; or there are other errors in the script source file with less obvious causes. Could you post the resulting error message after fixing the #includes? Debugging the script builds +/ syntax with the preprocessor is an unpleasant process but usually it only needs to be done once before you get the hang of it.]

I tried just about everything, and it refused to process the files again.

Here are the files if you want to see the specifics of what I'm working with;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ch92esd2hbuojwy/HSPP%20files.zip?dl=0

teh lag

Posted: Aug 14, 2015 10:27 PM    Msg. 9 of 38       
Remove this line from your main scenario macros and your scripts will build:

#define EVOLVED_STATS_TRACKER

A fix for this problem was included in the player bonus release but evidently you don't have it. If you do want to keep the weapon tracker on, just add the missing close-parenthese to the RECORD_WEAPON_LOW macro definition in cmt_extras_scripts.hs . (It's just the if statement that's missing a close-parenthese, which happened because the system had been turned off for a long time).

Megatron

Posted: Aug 14, 2015 11:05 PM    Msg. 10 of 38       
Remove this line from your main scenario macros and your scripts will build:

#define EVOLVED_STATS_TRACKER

A fix for this problem was included in the player bonus release but evidently you don't have it. If you do want to keep the weapon tracker on, just add the missing close-parenthese to the RECORD_WEAPON_LOW macro definition in cmt_extras_scripts.hs . (It's just the if statement that's missing a close-parenthese, which happened because the system had been turned off for a long time).

I did that, and I'm still getting the same error.

What exactly were the things you did to get it to build?

teh lag

Posted: Aug 15, 2015 12:33 AM    Msg. 11 of 38       
1) I made my copy of HSPP accessible in the scripts directory
2) I cleared out the extra stuff you had floating around, so that the only versions of the scenario files were the ones in src\scenarios\d20. I also deleted the extra .hsc files in there, and the duplicated API header file. Maybe you ended up editing the wrong file with all these versions in there?
3) I fixed the missing parenthese in the cmt_extras_scripts.hs file
4) I ran the build script and it worked

here is the resulting directory: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10778064/nmisc/scripts_for_megatron.7z
Edited by teh lag on Aug 15, 2015 at 12:33 AM

Megatron

Posted: Aug 19, 2015 08:26 PM    Msg. 12 of 38       

here is the resulting directory: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10778064/nmisc/scripts_for_megatron.7z
Edited by teh lag on Aug 15, 2015 at 12:33 AM

Thank you very much, these files were fully functional and did indeed work.

After seeing this, I got a bit more ambitious, and...

...well, I ran into a problem that's blatantly unprecedented, and something that might go beyond even CMT's understanding due to how ridiculous it is.

Here's another batch of files for you to see, in case you're curious;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtwj1zzv6do6gkz/The%20broken%20files%20so%20far.zip?dl=0

teh lag

Posted: Aug 19, 2015 08:53 PM    Msg. 13 of 38       
So, the point of the CMT script build system was to combine the files together while staying under the source-file-size and source-file-count limits. I'm not sure what the intended goal is of outputting every single component as a.hsc on its own, but I can basically guarantee that it's not going to lead anywhere productive. Avoiding situations like the one you have there is a big part of why we introduced the build system in the first place.
Edited by teh lag on Aug 19, 2015 at 08:53 PM

Megatron

Posted: Aug 19, 2015 09:04 PM    Msg. 14 of 38       

So, the point of the CMT script build system was to combine the files together while staying under the source-file-size and source-file-count limits. I'm not sure what the intended goal is of outputting every single component as a.hsc on its own, but I can basically guarantee that it's not going to lead anywhere productive. Avoiding situations like the one you have there is a big part of why we introduced the build system in the first place.
Edited by teh lag on Aug 19, 2015 at 08:53 PM

Ah ****...what do you advise I do?

Honestly, I'm open to trying anything at this point, since I really need to get the project done before the end of the year at the latest.

teh lag

Posted: Aug 19, 2015 09:23 PM    Msg. 15 of 38       
Again, I don't really understand what exactly you're trying to do with this configuration. Just revert to the build system's original setup and gradually modify it to meet your project's needs. Clear out all the weird copies of things you've made, they're just going to get in your way and confuse you. Put them aside somewhere if you really need to keep some change you've made.

Probably start with the given test scenario scripts, or the player bonus test scenario scripts, since they're both pretty bare-bones. Read the documentation and take things one step at a time and you'll be fine.
Edited by teh lag on Aug 19, 2015 at 09:24 PM

Megatron

Posted: Aug 21, 2015 09:38 PM    Msg. 16 of 38       
Alright, I managed to get the scripts preprocessed and successfully compiled in sapien, although there's a new problem that arose from it.

The scripted elements in the map are not working at all; the cutscenes will not play, the scripted enemy encounters do not occur, and the music is completely absent.

I sure don't know wtf to do now, especially since there aren't any problems with the scripts at all.

teh lag

Posted: Aug 21, 2015 10:28 PM    Msg. 17 of 38       
Make sure that your scripts have actually been compiled. Check the scenario in Guerilla to be sure that the scripts and globals that should be there are actually there. Always be sure that you're debugging the right thing before you go further.

Try issuing the (wake <script>) command from the console to scripts that might be stalling and see if that makes them go. You might have forgotten some silly thing or other. Make sure that there's something actually running your scenario's scripts. I assume you know the basics of how Halo scripts get executed...

If the logical error doesn't immediately present itself, turn on full developer mode (set developer_mode 127) and use the (print <string>) command to trace your scripts' execution, from startup to wherever they seem to be going dead. This is probably your best bet for tracing logical problems in Halo scripts, since we don't have any sort of real-time debugger or state inspector in the actual game. The CMT scripts have a DEBUG_PRINT() macro for this purpose; if you build with #DEBUG turned on they will automatically print to the console.

It's no different from debugging anything else in the game.

Megatron

Posted: Aug 22, 2015 10:57 PM    Msg. 18 of 38       
Make sure that your scripts have actually been compiled. Check the scenario in Guerilla to be sure that the scripts and globals that should be there are actually there. Always be sure that you're debugging the right thing before you go further.

Try issuing the (wake <script>) command from the console to scripts that might be stalling and see if that makes them go. You might have forgotten some silly thing or other. Make sure that there's something actually running your scenario's scripts. I assume you know the basics of how Halo scripts get executed...

I figured out the problem, and it turns out that it was within the globals file. Although, yet another issue came up that was far more ludicrous than the others.

[_components_scenario line 216] this is not a valid function or script name.: player1

I know for a fact that there was absolutely nothing wrong with this line, and quite frankly, I am no longer going to waste time playing the scripting engine's mind games.

Even though I'm deciding to toss the remake project aside, I still must say thanks for your help, teh lag.

I may update this thread with questions in the future regarding scripting help, since I'm not giving up on the project that doesn't involve a remake.

Super Flanker

Posted: Aug 23, 2015 06:50 AM    Msg. 19 of 38       

I figured out the problem, and it turns out that it was within the globals file. Although, yet another issue came up that was far more ludicrous than the others.

[_components_scenario line 216] this is not a valid function or script name.: player1

I know for a fact that there was absolutely nothing wrong with this line, and quite frankly, I am no longer going to waste time playing the scripting engine's mind games.

Even though I'm deciding to toss the remake project aside, I still must say thanks for your help, teh lag.

I may update this thread with questions in the future regarding scripting help, since I'm not giving up on the project that doesn't involve a remake.

Well bump in case your having trouble with anything else.

Megatron

Posted: Aug 27, 2015 07:00 PM    Msg. 20 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
Well bump in case your having trouble with anything else.

There is something I have been having trouble with for an excessively long time, and that happens to be getting the Halo 3 Scarab to function correctly.

I was wondering if anyone had the talent to figure out the puzzle that only kirby knows how to solve?

TheMrJezza_

I like scarabs

Posted: Aug 28, 2015 08:23 AM    Msg. 21 of 38       
Just out of interest Megatron, does all this mean you're gonna forget about the scarab?

Megatron

Posted: Aug 28, 2015 02:25 PM    Msg. 22 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: TheMrJezza_
Just out of interest Megatron, does all this mean you're gonna forget about the scarab?

I've spent too much trying to get that thing to work, and none of us can figure it out by the end of next month, then that will most likely be the case.

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Aug 28, 2015 06:04 PM    Msg. 23 of 38       
Programming scares me.

Programing is my life. This however, is not programing, it's scripting. the difference is programing makes an executable program, while scripting like we have here is simply a list of instructions for a program to carry out.

Super Flanker

Posted: Aug 30, 2015 09:48 AM    Msg. 24 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jobalisk
Programming scares me.

Programing is my life. This however, is not programing, it's scripting. the difference is programing makes an executable program, while scripting like we have here is simply a list of instructions for a program to carry out.

Anything that is not 3dsmax scares me.

Btcc22

Posted: Aug 30, 2015 10:01 AM    Msg. 25 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jobalisk
Programming scares me.

Scripting is still programming.

Megatron

Posted: Sep 1, 2015 03:33 PM    Msg. 26 of 38       
One thing I will ask the members of this community; is anyone here interested in helping with the Scarab dilemma?

This is a feature that I do not want to boycott under any circumstances, and it's clearly possible to implement (as proven by kirby).

However, since it's creator can not possibly assist any of us with it at all for reasons unknown, it's up to us to figure it out. I've managed to get the script to compile, although getting the actual vehicle to function isn't something I can do without help.

One thing I believe could further the progress is getting the scenario tag for the Walk on Vehicles map, although that's beyond my reach since Hek+ refuses to extract it.

Halonimator

Posted: Sep 1, 2015 03:42 PM    Msg. 27 of 38       
One thing I will ask the members of this community; is anyone here interested in helping with the Scarab dilemma?

This is a feature that I do not want to boycott under any circumstances, and it's clearly possible to implement (as proven by kirby).

However, since it's creator can not possibly assist any of us with it at all for reasons unknown, it's up to us to figure it out. I've managed to get the script to compile, although getting the actual vehicle to function isn't something I can do without help.

One thing I believe could further the progress is getting the scenario tag for the Walk on Vehicles map, although that's beyond my reach since Hek+ refuses to extract it.

badass bsp modelling
now im sending my xbox one for a pc to mod halo bettar

Grunter

I'm back from the dead and reporting for duty!

Posted: Sep 2, 2015 02:39 PM    Msg. 28 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator

badass bsp modelling

Other than Halo 2 Anniversary there isn't a point to own one.

Super Flanker

Posted: Sep 4, 2015 10:12 AM    Msg. 29 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: Grunter
Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator

badass bsp modelling

Other than Halo 2 Anniversary there isn't a point to own one.

H2A Isn't really the be all end all for an xone either.

TheMrJezza_

I like scarabs

Posted: Sep 5, 2015 08:59 AM    Msg. 30 of 38       

Remember how I already got the scenario to open into sapien? You said that you got the script to compile? Did you alter the script? Because without altering the script or scenario, the script won't compile.

Megatron

Posted: Sep 5, 2015 05:48 PM    Msg. 31 of 38       
Quote:
Remember how I already got the scenario to open into sapien? You said that you got the script to compile? Did you alter the script? Because without altering the script or scenario, the script won't compile.

The script can compile at this point, so the primary issue now is knowing the exact objects the script is referring to.

We know that "glue" is a null scenery object, but many of the other objects (such as "light") have yet to be identified correctly.

Without a doubt, the Walk on Vehicles scenario tag has the objects correctly labeled.

Grunter

I'm back from the dead and reporting for duty!

Posted: Sep 5, 2015 11:43 PM    Msg. 32 of 38       
.py? like as in Physics? Can you make moving BSPs instead of a vehicle.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Sep 6, 2015 12:42 PM    Msg. 33 of 38       
.py refers to python code. And no, you can't.

Megatron

Posted: Sep 6, 2015 05:28 PM    Msg. 34 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: Grunter
Can you make moving BSPs instead of a vehicle.

Not unless someone pulls something crazy with open sauce, though there is something that comes somewhat close in comparison, which happens to be moving device tags (like what serves as the main body of the Halo 3 Scarab made by kirby).

To be honest, I think that moving device tags would be a better idea if you consider the possible effects that moving BSPs would have on the "blam!" engine if such a thing were eventually possible.

TheMrJezza_

I like scarabs

Posted: Nov 28, 2015 11:17 PM    Msg. 35 of 38       
Okay, for anyone who doesn't know, this thread is kinda a continuation of this thread here http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=38972&start=176 Anyway, I would just like to say I going to try the scarab again. I won't give up on it. If I get it to work I will post the results.
Edited by TheMrJezza_ on Nov 28, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon January 20, 2020 9:20 AM 281 ms.
A Halo Maps Website