A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »60 fps animations?

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next
Author Topic: 60 fps animations? (76 messages, Page 1 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

xTankbeast

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 04:22 PM    Msg. 1 of 76       
Would it be possible to fix the animations and make them play in 60 fps or more? Or is it just hard coded into the engine that the animations have to be in 30 fps?

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 04:26 PM    Msg. 2 of 76       
Yay one more of these threads. Yes it is hard coded and the only way to make them 60fps is to run game at 2x speed.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 05:24 PM    Msg. 3 of 76       
Personally, I hate 60 FPS. Everything looks fake and unrealistic, no matter what game I've played. I don't get the fascination with it.

Imouto

Waffles B&

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 05:28 PM    Msg. 4 of 76       
"BUT THE HUMAN EYE CAN ONLY SEE 24FPS AWJDAJWDJIKIFRAWU"

Imouto

Waffles B&

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 05:33 PM    Msg. 5 of 76       
Yeah, we wouldn't want Halo to be fake and unrealistic. 144hz monitors sure are awful for FPS games, too smooth and responsive for me too man.

Masters1337

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 05:46 PM    Msg. 6 of 76       
Quote: --- Original message by: DoodleSama
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Personally, I hate 60 FPS. Everything looks fake and unrealistic, no matter what game I've played. I don't get the fascination with it.

So you hate smooth and better responsive gameplay? I hate to see what you think of 120FPS. How the hell are you a developer again?

I enjoy that aspect of it, but in real life when things are moving so quickly you got motion blur, and the realistic amounts of motion blur you'd get when seeing things moving like they do in games would just be annoying.

I prefer the cinematic look for the games medium. Take a look at Arkham Knight or Gears remastered, looks perfectly fine and great in 30 FPS.

Imouto

Waffles B&

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 05:51 PM    Msg. 7 of 76       
lmao, good ol' halomaps.

Masters1337

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 05:55 PM    Msg. 8 of 76       
I enjoy that aspect of it, but in real life when things are moving so quickly you got motion blur, and the realistic amounts of motion blur you'd get when seeing things moving like they do in games would just be annoying.

I prefer the cinematic look for the games medium. Take a look at Arkham Knight or Gears remastered, looks perfectly fine and great in 30 FPS.

Just get out of video games. That is the dumbest opinion I have ever heard from you.

Do you enjoy your movies at higher framrates?

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 05:57 PM    Msg. 9 of 76       
haha. Textures only effects H1's MP and nothing else.

beaucephal

CMT SPv3 audio dude

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 05:57 PM    Msg. 10 of 76       
No.

beaucephal

CMT SPv3 audio dude

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 05:58 PM    Msg. 11 of 76       
*hits refresh compulsively*

Masters1337

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 06:05 PM    Msg. 12 of 76       
Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode

In terms of tagspace, that is still correct. Textures get loaded as the game requires them and that can cause brief freezes as it loads the texture data.

What do the frame rate of movies have to do with the frame rate video games you freaking retard?

Simply because 60 FPS is not necessarily better for every medium. Gears and Batman as examples, are meant to be cinematic looking games. It's silly to pout over them for not being 60 FPS. Halo is also designed to be cinematic, although not to the same degree as them.
Edited by Masters1337 on Sep 15, 2015 at 06:07 PM

MrChromed

Developer on SPv3/CMT and ShadowMods Team.

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 06:11 PM    Msg. 13 of 76       

Personally, yes. I don't know why, but they look more modern and smooth. And, there's a difference between a movie and the Halo 1 anims. A movie is synced with the camera movements. If I use V-sync or No V-sync in the game (so, that means more than 60 FPS), the bipeds (for example) look with laggy effects, and that's annoying.

Anyways, I have a question: Are the Halo 1 animations in 60 FPS in the TMCC game, or just 30 FPS?. I never played TMCC.

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 06:15 PM    Msg. 14 of 76       

In terms of tagspace, that is still correct. Textures get loaded as the game requires them and that can cause brief freezes as it loads the texture data.

It makes no sense that this would only happen in multiplayer. H1's multiplayer maps are by all means less complex than the campaign maps. So I seriously doubt that your statement is correct, but I'd absolutely love to see your source.

Masters1337

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 06:20 PM    Msg. 15 of 76       
Quote: --- Original message by: Isxz

Personally, yes. I don't know why, but they look more modern and smooth. And, there's a difference between a movie and the Halo 1 anims. A movie is synced with the camera movements. If I use V-sync or No V-sync in the game (so, that means more than 60 FPS), the bipeds (for example) look with laggy effects, and that's annoying.

Anyways, I have a question: Are the Halo 1 animations in 60 FPS in the TMCC game, or just 30 FPS?. I never played TMCC.

I agree that having 60 FPS for the effects and 30 FPS for the animations is bizarre and annoying. I rather have a game run at a consistent 30 or 60, depending on what it is. For my Halo, Gears and Batman, I prefer 30 FPS, for things like COD, Titanfall, Racing games, I prefer the 60.

It makes no sense that this would only happen in multiplayer. H1's multiplayer maps are by all means less complex than the campaign maps. So I seriously doubt that your statement is correct, but I'd absolutely love to see your source.

You can go see it for yourself. Take a CE map and compile it with as many high res textures in it as possible. MP has a tagspace limit where you have to balance your content accordingly to fit a certain tag size, while SP has a larger limit, that is unaffected by the size of the bitmaps, but is effected by other content (bsp, models, animation, collision)
Edited by Masters1337 on Sep 15, 2015 at 06:24 PM

beaucephal

CMT SPv3 audio dude

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 06:24 PM    Msg. 16 of 76       

EDIT: No actually, ignore that last bit, I'm talking out of my butt. That's how we're handling things, not SP Halo. #duh
Edited by beaucephal on Sep 15, 2015 at 06:32 PM

MrChromed

Developer on SPv3/CMT and ShadowMods Team.

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 06:54 PM    Msg. 17 of 76       
I will ask again, if someone can reply me: Are the Halo 1 animations in 60 FPS on the TMCC game, or just the stock 30 FPS?. I never played TMCC and, by the YouTube videos, I can't see difference.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 07:03 PM    Msg. 18 of 76       
I agree with Masterz for the most part, though I wonder why everyone seems to hate on him for his opinion.

I agree that movies looks weird when higher than 24 fps (or whatever they are). It's kinda disturbing and TOO smooth, almost like it's being sped up.

Then again, this is Halomaps so carry on with the hating.

beaucephal

CMT SPv3 audio dude

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 07:15 PM    Msg. 19 of 76       
I will ask again, if someone can reply me: Are the Halo 1 animations in 60 FPS on the TMCC game, or just the stock 30 FPS?. I never played TMCC and, by the YouTube videos, I can't see difference.

Halo 1 animations are 60FPS in TMCC.

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 07:38 PM    Msg. 20 of 76       

What do the frame rate of movies have to do with the frame rate video games you freaking retard?

boogerlad

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 08:22 PM    Msg. 21 of 76       
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6UxyULFp4g

If someone believes a lower fps count is better than something higher, they are delusional.

The_Purrminator

(SBB) Michelle

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 08:34 PM    Msg. 22 of 76       

Pretty sure that is because our eyes focus on random points when turning. If you put a finger in the middle of your eyes, focus on it and then start turning your head. it looks a bit like 60fps which automatically shows why it is unrealistic because to experience this in real life you would need your eyes not to be able to turn.

Having said that, I understand why you like 30fps better. Unlike some people here who seem to think, people can have different opinions and my opinion is that I still like 60fps better.

General_101

Apparently all I post is spam.

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 09:04 PM    Msg. 23 of 76       

What do the frame rate of movies have to do with the frame rate video games you freaking?

Left that part out in case Dennis comes out in full force.
Why do you even bother with Masters. He is about as casual as you can get.
Dude games on a Mac, thinks Halo Wars has deep strategy, feels that 343 excels Bungie, and feels that Halo 4 multiplayer had some merit to it. You can hold your own opinion but there are some opinions that will never make sense.

And to all the people saying that their movies look weird in 60 FPS where do you get this idea from. Most of you people haven't probably even seen a movie actually shot at 60 FPS. No, interpolated does not count. This is the part where it comes down to opinion but before the movie police comes out in full force.

"But muh hobbit waz too fast"

That movie was only at 48 FPS and looked perfectly fine. Movies don't even look the way they do at 24 FPS. It's just a filter to smooth it out because if they didn't it would look like a slideshow. 24 FPS is just a subjective taste now. There is nothing objectively wrong with 60 FPS media other than it stands out. Before someone whines on about their cinematic quality are you really going to defend an industry that uses likes of Transformers and Marvel movies to play it safe with muh cinematic quality. If there is a medium that desperately needs a humble indie scene or just change it's movies.
Edited by General_101 on Sep 15, 2015 at 09:13 PM

Docer

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 09:08 PM    Msg. 24 of 76       
Quote: --- Original message by: Imouto
"BUT THE HUMAN EYE CAN ONLY SEE 24FPS AWJDAJWDJIKIFRAWU"

Human eye only support 76 fps the brain speed to drawn is not superior than this.

I don't think so they just render at 60fps looks a bit weird but looks fine.
Edited by Docer on Sep 15, 2015 at 09:15 PM

BlitzOfSBB

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 09:42 PM    Msg. 25 of 76       

Worst trollbait attempt I've ever seen.

OrangeJuice

No patience? Then don't teach. So simple.

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 10:04 PM    Msg. 26 of 76       
Uncanny Valley.

Also, annoyingly and unrealistically smooth high framerate Spanish TV soap operas.

Oskarmandude

Make Halomaps Fully Hectic Again

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 10:20 PM    Msg. 27 of 76       

So you hate smooth and better responsive gameplay? I hate to see what you think of 120FPS. How the hell are you a developer again?

Quote: --- Original message by: General_101
Why do you even bother with Masters. He is about as casual as you can get.
Dude games on a Mac, thinks Halo Wars has deep strategy, feels that 343 excels Bungie, and feels that Halo 4 multiplayer had some merit to it. You can hold your own opinion but there are some opinions that will never make sense.
Edited by General_101 on Sep 15, 2015 at 09:13 PM

Edited by Oskarmandude on Sep 15, 2015 at 10:27 PM
Edited by Oskarmandude on Nov 22, 2015 at 12:40 AM

Mokou Price

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 12:56 AM    Msg. 28 of 76       
Oh my god they are fightinggggggggggg

not giraffe

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 01:41 AM    Msg. 29 of 76       
Quote: --- Original message by: Oskarmandude
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/06/supa-hot-fire.gif

He's not a rapper, so stop rapping at him.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 04:39 AM    Msg. 30 of 76       
Halo 1 was designed to be played at 30fps. I personally lock the game at 30fps because everything flows smoothly together. Anything higher and it's not as enjoyable for me do the the fact that the camera is literally the only thing that can move higher then 30fps.

Coming from another DEVELOPER it's smarter to lock Halo at 30 FPS mainly because, like I said, things get messed up at anything higher. The game also only lets me record unit animations at 30fps. If the game was designed with 60fps in mind maybe my opinion would be different, however there's even issues with the game on TMCC because of it.

Bottom line, it's an old game, and it's flaws are from its restrictions because it was built to run on older hardware. Certain things in the engine need to be completely overhauled for it to feel right at 60fps or higher.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 05:42 AM    Msg. 31 of 76       
So without intending to add fuel to the fire......

Is there a competitive edge between playing @ 30fps instead of 60fps?

To me 30 feels a heck of a lot quicker in terms of camera speed e.t.c where as in 60 frames per second the game is noticeably smoother and precise, however I cannot help believing that the game is running slightly slower in order to produce movement e.t.c

Basically:

If I am playing @ 30fps online against a guy playing @ 60fps is there an advantage and if so who has it?

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 05:57 AM    Msg. 32 of 76       
Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
If I am playing @ 30fps online against a guy playing @ 60fps is there an advantage and if so who has it?

No there isn't. There's a reason why people in competitive PC gaming advise you to disable V-Sync at all times. It locks your FPS at your refresh rate and will produce input latency (Halo CE is one of those games that do this).

Okay mind complex solved. Tanks btw.
Edited by SS Flanker on Sep 16, 2015 at 05:58 AM

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 09:53 AM    Msg. 33 of 76       
I agree with masterz and killa.
The lack of correct blur and motion deformation (eg fast moving objects can appear bent,no light trails after lit objects) feels weird on high framerate, it doesn't seem normal to my brain to see no blur for these objects. Maybe It would feel alright with virtual reality stuff and 3D though.

You could also dig deeper in the problem considering a screen is a primary light source while our eyes are made to work only with reflected light
Edited by bourrin33 on Sep 16, 2015 at 09:55 AM

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 12:14 PM    Msg. 34 of 76       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW
Halo 1 was designed to be played at 30fps. I personally lock the game at 30fps because everything flows smoothly together. Anything higher and it's not as enjoyable for me do the the fact that the camera is literally the only thing that can move higher then 30fps.

Coming from another DEVELOPER it's smarter to lock Halo at 30 FPS mainly because, like I said, things get messed up at anything higher. The game also only lets me record unit animations at 30fps. If the game was designed with 60fps in mind maybe my opinion would be different, however there's even issues with the game on TMCC because of it.

Bottom line, it's an old game, and it's flaws are from its restrictions because it was built to run on older hardware. Certain things in the engine need to be completely overhauled for it to feel right at 60fps or higher.

As a DEVELOPER I can also agree with this, because you give good arguments and remain open-minded to the 60 fps prospect, had it been designed with that framerate.

I personally do prefer my modern games with 60 fps, when everything is catered to it. Animations, a wee bit of motion blur and all that.

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 03:12 PM    Msg. 35 of 76       
Quote: --- Original message by: snark567
Wow, I just started reading the thread and I already saw a person call someone else a "retard" because of different opinions.

But it's not an opinion, at 60fps you have less input lag, which for a twitchy shooter is absolutely crucial.

Not to mention things like lower FPS (or unsteady FPS)combined with things like low FoV can cause simulation sickness, which is unarguably not worth "making the game look cinematic".

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue July 23, 2019 11:48 PM 281 ms.
A Halo Maps Website