A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Extensible Memory Mods

Author Topic: Extensible Memory Mods (34 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: Oct 13, 2015 11:30 PM    Msg. 1 of 34       
I have had this idea for one of Zeus' features, but I'm thinking about making it unrelated to Zeus.

I would make a PHP server-side script program that lets you modify the game memory of a haloded.exe server by loading "plugins" which are PHP files that you put into a plugins folder. I would make functions like what SAPP and Phasor have (I guess) and what you would do is something like this in your plugins files, using PHP syntax.

Say for example you wanted to have the server swap the cyborg.biped tag reference for every player after each CTF flag score. You might put something like this in your plugin:

when (CTF_FLAG_SCORED_ANY)
{
swap (MATG, "globals.globals", BIPD, "cyborg_mp.biped", BIPD, "elite_mp.biped");
}

You would put that into a PHP file and put the PHP file into the plugins folder, then the changes would be applied immediately to the active game, since the script program would look for PHP files inside the plugins folder and "include" them every few seconds.

Comments, ideas, suggestions? Like the concept? This would only be on the server-side; any kind of networking I would rather do with Zeus instead, since it's an .exe instead of a PHP script.

--

EDIT: This would differ from SAPP but perhaps be similar to Phasor. What you would have with this approach is a scripting modification system that would let you basically script according to any memory values in the game, not just those identified. So if you knew the exact offsets in memory that you wanted to modify, you could do that. Some examples are:

- When a specific control panel is switched, print a given chat message on the screen.
- When a vehicle's specific animation is triggered, or when a player biped is shot from a certain angle, disable the player from doing anything.
- Basically, when anything happens that you can put your finger on, then anything else can happen which you can put your finger on.
Edited by sparky on Oct 13, 2015 at 11:54 PM

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Oct 13, 2015 11:47 PM    Msg. 2 of 34       
YAY!, This project is still alive

sparky

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 12:08 AM    Msg. 3 of 34       
It basically differs from SAPP / Phasor and LUA scripting through compiled scripts in that you would be able to change any memory values, not just those related to the game, even.

I guess if someone knew what they were doing with it, they could even make a player bot system, where the game always has 16 players, like Unreal Tournament had with NPC bot players. That's the kind of thing that, if you knew what you were doing with it, you could do with it.

And I'm planning to include all the undocumented tag metadata values that I discovered, such as the physics values in the biped tag type. Every value that you can change in Guerilla would be modifiable dynamically in the game, on the server-side, using PHP script syntax. So what you could easily do is change all the player physics -- I don't know about making different areas with different physics, but you could at least do something cool like when a player hits a switch, nobody can move, or everybody can suddenly fly, or everyone does a crazy dance, or some weird thing like that.

What this means is that you would not be limited to the content in a map, necessarily. You could like, swap in a suitcase for that red base tree, even if the suitcase model isn't in the map file. It would just need to be available as a suitcase gbxmodel tag in your tags folder, or something like that... since you're modifying the game's memory pretty directly.

I really don't know if I'll do anything with networked changes. If it comes down to it, at the very least, I would have the system use the INCY Online tag directory as a reference instead of players downloading data from other players. I haven't really considered that yet, I'm just thinking about the basic principle of scripting extensible memory mods.

Roushyy

Character animator.

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 03:23 AM    Msg. 4 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
I used to keep HaloMaps' forum open and regularly use it throughout the day. But then I suffered such verbal abuse and harassment that I showed to the moderator and he did not respond, and so I decided to not use HaloMaps' forum anymore. So if you want to contact me about what I do, ask me where I can be reached: on my own forum. I think with a little consideration, you can perceive the logic I'm using.

Are you going to leave yet?

We all know that this is probably never going to happen. I would strongly suggest that, if you want to gain the respect of most everyone on this forum, you do some work and show it.

And no, a python script or two is not work. That's progress.

When you have a finished application that can do all of these wondrous things, post about it. Until then, it's practically guaranteed to be the laughingstock of HaloMaps.

NeX

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 07:18 AM    Msg. 5 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
YAY!, This project is still alive

And will be still in 2025

War Master, the only approval he seeketh is that of an imaginary sky goblin
Edited by NeX on Oct 14, 2015 at 07:22 AM

sparky

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 10:51 AM    Msg. 6 of 34       
Don't flatter yourselves on my account. I couldn't care less about approval from you. Now move along.

Let's think critically. If this is the pinnacle of mature discourse you can offer, don't even offer it at all. Please, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. You are utterly offensive in every way you can possibly muster, all for what -- the attention and approval you crave from strangers of similar dimwit intellect living on the other side of the world? Is this really the peak of your intellectual capacity? How drab.

The more insults and kindergarten intelligence you spew, the less respect you gain from people with actual intelligence. So stop being insulting and learn some manners before you run up against someone who has anger management issues like you. Your insults are a mark of folly and malice and envy; three different kinds of evils that come from your hearts. Mature people do not act or communicate in such ways as you have shown.

You don't even deserve to reply to my threads with such filth. Learn some manners or keep your fingers off the keyboard.

If you act like a wild beast towards people, you will be killed like a wild beast. Perhaps you should think about what consequences you want to face as a result of your words.

I actually am an intelligent person, and intelligent people don't associate with assholes. So you either grow up, or you shut up.
Edited by sparky on Oct 14, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Nickster5000

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 12:08 PM    Msg. 7 of 34       
Actually seems like a useful and cool concept.

Keep going with it, see where it takes you!

vampire_girl

No

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 12:18 PM    Msg. 8 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: Zetren
Here, gentlemen, is a case in point of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 12:31 PM    Msg. 9 of 34       
I actually am an intelligent person, and intelligent people don't associate with assholes.

I do not see the correlation here.

Valentin

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 12:55 PM    Msg. 10 of 34       
and intelligent people don't associate with assholes.

You've clearly never been to a Mensa meeting then.

NeX

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 01:36 PM    Msg. 11 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: Valentin

People who brag about being "intelligent" are usually pretty narcissistic. Intelligence isn't earned, it's an attribute, not an achievement.

Roushyy

Character animator.

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 06:03 PM    Msg. 12 of 34       

Don't flatter yourselves on my account. I couldn't care less about approval from you. Now move along.

I suggest you think about that. I mean really think about it, the hardest you possibly can. I'm sure, with your supposedly superior intellect, you will come to the same conclusion others here have long since reached: your project is pointless. Even were it to be accomplished, by the time it does the large majority of the CE community will have moved on to other games, other engines, other tools.

Realizing that you are looking for approval is the first step in correcting your errors. It's okay, I was once the same - when others told me that my work wasn't good enough, that there was no substance to it, I got defensive too. You've got to let the idea that you are superior go, because everyone here is better than you at something.

Quote:
Let's think critically. If this is the pinnacle of mature discourse you can offer, don't even offer it at all. Please, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. You are utterly offensive in every way you can possibly muster, all for what -- the attention and approval you crave from strangers of similar dimwit intellect living on the other side of the world? Is this really the peak of your intellectual capacity? How drab.

Interesting word choice. You speak down on my insulting tone, yet you insult me yourself. You call me a fool, when you are so clearly a hypocrite. You say I am unable to have "mature" discourse, yet you cannot seem to face the truth and throw out the most intelligent sounding reply you can think up, hoping that the wall of text will be simply too long and too dense to offer a rebuttal against.

I'm not here saying that I, personally, could do better. I'm simply saying what has been, and needs to be, said - which you still refuse to accept. You're as stubborn as a child and you act like one to boot.

Quote:
The more insults and kindergarten intelligence you spew, the less respect you gain from people with actual intelligence. So stop being insulting and learn some manners before you run up against someone who has anger management issues like you. Your insults are a mark of folly and malice and envy; three different kinds of evils that come from your hearts. Mature people do not act or communicate in such ways as you have shown.

Intelligence. You seem to really enjoy slinging that word around, as if it's nothing. Tell me, what is intelligence to you? Is it the implied superiority of your mental capabilities over the average Joe, or is it your illusions of being superior not just in intelligence, but morals?

I'd strongly suggest you change your attitude. I can guarantee you will find it brings the exact opposite of what you deny, yet we all know, you are looking so passionately for.

Quote:
You don't even deserve to reply to my threads with such filth. Learn some manners or keep your fingers off the keyboard.

You forget, this is a public forum. You cannot and do not dictate where I can or can't post; you definitely don't control whether or not I am "worthy" of posting in your thread; and you most assuredly hold no sway over the forum itself.

Quote:
If you act like a wild beast towards people, you will be killed like a wild beast. Perhaps you should think about what consequences you want to face as a result of your words.

Again with the hypocrisy, eh? You say I act like a wild beast, but fail to realize that in reality, a wild beast acts defensively. It acts to protect itself and survive. I'm not being defensive, that one goes to you. And so far, nobody has killed me for my words. Anyone who would do so is clearly not able to have a "mature" conversation. Something tells me you're one of those people.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 10:16 PM    Msg. 13 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: War Master V
I used to keep HaloMaps' forum open and regularly use it throughout the day. But then I suffered such verbal abuse and harassment that I showed to the moderator and he did not respond, and so I decided to not use HaloMaps' forum anymore. So if you want to contact me about what I do, ask me where I can be reached: on my own forum. I think with a little consideration, you can perceive the logic I'm using.

Are you going to leave yet?

We all know that this is probably never going to happen. I would strongly suggest that, if you want to gain the respect of most everyone on this forum, you do some work and show it.

And no, a python script or two is not work. That's progress.

When you have a finished application that can do all of these wondrous things, post about it. Until then, it's practically guaranteed to be the laughingstock of HaloMaps.

I can honestly agree with this statement. *cough

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 11:08 PM    Msg. 14 of 34       
At this point, I think it would be easier to just compile a source-gmod binary modified with halo's physics and general 'bug-likeness' in mind for this kind of thing. Though I fear that this will just end up as another shoehorned cotton-gin of a server tech that only gets used as another annoying 'talking sapp server' that won't stfu.

I look forward to those wholl actually *MOD* with this

...if the commoners don't just decide to underuse it like another 'talking sapp server that won't shut tfu'

(Did you miss me?)
Edited by OrangeJuice on Oct 14, 2015 at 11:10 PM

sparky

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 12:49 AM    Msg. 15 of 34       
Quote: About the Halo Maps Forum, Sparky wrote:
It is becoming clear that only a very minor subcategory of topical discourse will not trigger the bullying by certain users there. The bullying causes that web site community to suffer censorship of discourse; the bullies there try to cause the legitimate forum users to be censored through verbally abusing anyone who says something they don't want to hear according to their own hidden agendas.

That has become my opinion of this forum. I find it a shame that I cannot present ideas for discussion here that, if brought to fruition as I often have in mind to do, would benefit the Halo Custom Edition and/or Halo PC players and content authors. In concordance with the verbal abuse smack boundaries present, it seems that use of this site will need to be limited to simple questions and answers that in no way hint at any larger or goal-geared work. Because as soon as the bullies on this web site forum get a waft of goal-oriented work, the discouragement and disparagement and clever attempts to mask envy start to come out in the form of account sock puppeteering and other ludicrous, callous, selfish and indecent behavior.

Sharing goals would give me a context for work that one can contribute accordingly, and it provides a means to analyze common values. For example, knowledge of the fact that Autodesk software was used or favored by Gearbox with the Halo Custom Edition program led to the development of 3DS Max plugins that became the mainstays of use with the Halo Editing Kit.

Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

At this point, I think it would be easier to just compile a source-gmod binary modified with halo's physics and general 'bug-likeness' in mind for this kind of thing. Though I fear that this will just end up as another shoehorned cotton-gin of a server tech that only gets used as another annoying 'talking sapp server'.

(Did you miss me?)
Edited by OrangeJuice on Oct 14, 2015 at 11:10 PM

I don't have any experience with compiling source-gmod binaries. Reverse-engineering a physics engine is not something I really have in mind to do, because I don't have in mind to make my own version of Halo anymore, or at least not with the Source game engine, and since I don't have this experience yet, I don't know that it's easier to do this than that which I've already seen as quite simple.

A "talking sapp server" means that Halo server hosts like to have resulting feedback. There is a lack of diverse dialogue in Halo 1 multiplayer. Halo 2 multiplayer has more diverse dialogue and a badge system that was kept in today's version of Halo multiplayer also. So by seeing what is common, you can deduce values from an emic perspective gained through participant observation. In this case, my deduction is that the game needs more social context. I have been devising Zeus according to that recognized value, but cannot share my goal-oriented conversations with the commonwealth at this forum, lest I invoke the wrath of further bullying which is obviously dragging down the conversational mood here.
Edited by sparky on Oct 15, 2015 at 01:14 AM

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 12:56 AM    Msg. 16 of 34       
I learnt some new words today.
Cheers.

sparky

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 01:48 AM    Msg. 17 of 34       
Optimism encourages; pessimism discourages. If you want results, be optimistic! We're all on the same team here.

Discussion guides according to identified values. If we can discuss ideas, we can identify values, and promote further ideas accordingly. That is how community can help build results for those with the initiative to do things. I have the initiative to do things, but I also have the capacity to recognize values and the intelligence to think critically and the make to seek what is important and the constitution to work accordingly. Participating is how community can work together. But observing and pointing out inconsistencies with what is important help guide discussions and results.

For example, if I write half the program in PHP and half the program in Delphi, you might say this is not the best approach and if you have initiative, would offer some revisions accordingly.

I just think we're going about this the wrong way. You have pointed out the issue with a lack of results shared from my projects. But you don't want to hear about the results, you just want a "finished product" to use more immediately than you see. But the path towards that goal is not pessimism, but optimism. So perhaps go about this issue with a more optimistic approach, such as:

"I don't see end results from you; I see a lot of [nice] ideas [worth discussing]. I hope you can get this project towards a useful end result. Let me know if you want my help." The last sentence there you should only give if you have the initiative to spare. You can see how the gist of that is more optimistic, and is much less of a "downer".

Thank you for your consideration. Love the forum user. It pays to be gentle and kind. We have too much experience with harsh and unkind.
Edited by sparky on Oct 15, 2015 at 02:06 AM

--

I realize I should have clarified this in the past, but I am going to clarify now. I don't work like a production line. I juggle several balls at once. That's why I have used language such as "this is only a small facet [of a larger goal]" and have used grandiose words like "empire". The gestalt will not meet your expectations, since I do work on each idea in turn. It's like my comic "Zeus Simple" program: I developed that small thing as a test for basic programming principles I had in mind to use at the time. That was actually successful, and I have basically set aside that as the proper way to make a such a program, in terms of the source code approach. Obviously, that wasn't a useful program, but only a hint at what I'm working towards for that program which is a small facet of a larger work, which in turn is a facet of a larger work, and so on. But I don't really share the scope of context for what I do, only the basic principles and ideas so that their value can be discussed -- not to generate hype, since I'm not a marketer looking to promote a single program. Therefore, you should not expect anything I say to have an immediate result. Some people work that way, but I would rather make a single program than a set of fragmented programs. Why bother having separate programs for each of Tool's functions when you can just bundle all of them together into a single Tool executable? But anyway, just recognize that my work is out of the scope of a singular release, and that's why you see so many seemingly-fragmented threads by me. I hope this brings us to a closer understanding of context.
Edited by sparky on Oct 15, 2015 at 02:35 AM

Speaking of context...
Edited by sparky on Oct 15, 2015 at 04:38 AM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 04:41 AM    Msg. 18 of 34       
Ahh, Sparky, how I missed your unnecessarily long walls of text.
Welcome back.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 07:33 AM    Msg. 19 of 34       
Sparky man I think you might wanna take a chill pill and stop typing out long walls of text that no one cares about except yourself.

Maybe take a step back and actually think about what these people are saying - no one cares if you can come up with an "idea". Anyone can. But until you actually put it together and make something that people can actually use and see, or at least show some actual, working progress, no one is going to care.
Edited by Higuy on Oct 15, 2015 at 07:34 AM

sparky

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 07:40 AM    Msg. 20 of 34       
@Higuy

This forum exists to discuss ideas. If you want downloads, there is a non-forum downloads section here: http://hce.halomaps.org/. If you don't want to use the forum to discuss things, then don't use the forum.

MrChromed

Developer on SPv3 and ShadowMods Team.

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 11:46 AM    Msg. 21 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Welcome back.

I thought I was the only one

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 11:54 AM    Msg. 22 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: Isxz
Welcome back.

I would love to read some of the essays he's written for classes.

not giraffe

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 12:57 PM    Msg. 23 of 34       
All of you guys just need Allah in your life. Worship and pray, then he will bestow the power needed to oppress sparky and his dubious intellect. ALLAHU AKBAR!!

EDIT: I have seemed to convince sparky that I am an advocate for Islamic terrorism. This post is a joke, and I am simply making fun of the idea that doing such things is God's will.

Edited by raffgie on Oct 15, 2015 at 01:55 PM

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 02:20 PM    Msg. 24 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: raffgie

All of you guys just need Allah in your life. Worship and pray, then he will bestow the power needed to oppress sparky and his dubious intellect. ALLAHU AKBAR!!

EDIT: I have seemed to convince sparky that I am an advocate for Islamic terrorism. This post is a joke, and I am simply making fun of the idea that doing such things is God's will.

Edited by raffgie on Oct 15, 2015 at 01:55 PM
sparky doesn't into humor. hence the wallpaper.

Aloha snackbar, wristwatches!

sehe

ayy lmao

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 03:40 PM    Msg. 25 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: Valentin

I can relate, I'm a member.

Btw, this is a stupid idea and you should seek help. Schizophrenia is a serious mental illness... Yes, I'm pretty sure you have it and/or some kind of autism, no offense.

The Kingx

ᕙ༼ ಠ益ಠ༽ᕗ

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 04:36 PM    Msg. 26 of 34       
Oh boy, I can clearly see where this is going.

It's what keeps me coming back to this site.

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 04:45 PM    Msg. 27 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Kingx
Oh boy, I can clearly see where this is going.

It's what keeps me coming back to this site.
has it ever not?

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 05:00 PM    Msg. 28 of 34       
Can we get back to the main topic of this thread ?

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 05:19 PM    Msg. 29 of 34       
dramamaps
this weeks episode: pretty much the same as the last 365 or so

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 06:14 PM    Msg. 30 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
Quote: --- Original message by: Isxz
Welcome back.

I would love to read some of the essays he's written for classes.

I'd bet that he's an A+ student in BS English papers. Which is an excellent skill I might add.

Roushyy

Character animator.

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 09:28 PM    Msg. 31 of 34       
This forum exists to discuss ideas. If you want downloads, there is a non-forum downloads section here: http://hce.halomaps.org/. If you don't want to use the forum to discuss things, then don't use the forum.
Just as pulling a gun's trigger with no loaded ammunition is both useless and a waste of time, discussing ideas with no follow through is pointless and foolish.

NeX

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 09:34 PM    Msg. 32 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: War Master V
Just as pulling a gun's trigger with no loaded ammunition is both useless and a waste of time, discussing ideas with no follow through is pointless and foolish.

Like arguing with a superstitious nutcase. Just let him be the king of his playground. Itd do the whole site better if no one replied to these vaporware topics

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 11:48 PM    Msg. 33 of 34       
i love this place
I know you are being sarcastic but seriously if you actually did love this place you would try instead to keep topics on track and refrain from purely rhetorical comments and seek to add to discussions instead of inflame them. But that is just me being all old fashion I guess.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Oct 16, 2015 10:02 AM    Msg. 34 of 34       
I do often help people with technical setup problems, (though for mental problems, I am as of yet unsuccessful.) ;)

Hwat du y meen buy dis?

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat December 7, 2019 3:01 PM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website