A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista General Discussion »Bringing H2V Back XLiveless+Mods+Other crap.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Bringing H2V Back XLiveless+Mods+Other crap. (36 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

PermaNull

Posted: Oct 25, 2015 12:50 PM    Msg. 1 of 36       
So,
I noticed the browser list for Halo2 went down and it finally gave me motivation to work on a project so I embarked on the journey of completely emulating the LAN system for XLive and adding internet support.

Along with this I've reverse engineered a ton of the halo2 engine and there are tons of possibilities here I'm just trying to gauge interest in the game to see how much time I really want to spend on this.

I may just be wasting my time working on a dead game no one wants to play anymore, or I could be reviving it from the dead and giving us all some good times again.

I posted a bit about my progress on halo2vista.

General_101

Apparently all I post is spam.

Posted: Oct 25, 2015 09:04 PM    Msg. 2 of 36       
I would love to see Halo 2 get a little help like Halo Online did. I tried setting it up to play with my friends and family but it was too complicated to go through. Either I needed to get everyone on Tunngle or everyone on my network and both were not happening. Hopefully something good comes out of this.

supersniper

fear the sniper

Posted: Oct 26, 2015 12:23 AM    Msg. 3 of 36       

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Oct 26, 2015 08:15 AM    Msg. 4 of 36       
Though I can't contribute much of anything to this. I am all for the idea.

GO FOR IT.

Idaho

Mihi Libertas Necesse Est

Posted: Nov 4, 2015 02:30 PM    Msg. 5 of 36       
It's not a waste of time at all, seeing how Halo 1 still has a very active mp, reviving H2V could bring some of these people to it too and even whole new players to the game, H2 is still the most beloved multiplayer Halo game, improving it and provide easier access to it can only be a good thing :)

Edited by Idaho on Nov 4, 2015 at 02:39 PM

tylerfb11

If you're not McLovin it, your wrong.

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 01:25 AM    Msg. 6 of 36       
Ive been thinking about doing this recently as well, dug up my copy of H2V the other day and im fully dtermined to do some map biulding and moding. Right now im using Tunngle but man is it ever dead, and getting my friend s to sign up for Tunngle is sucha PITA. I am fully on board with this!

Idaho

Posted: Nov 25, 2015 10:46 AM    Msg. 7 of 36       
Hey all of this is making really good progress, keep up guys :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftE8D9QOIz8

Halonimator

Halo5gsucks.com

Posted: Nov 25, 2015 10:52 AM    Msg. 8 of 36       
this fixes the weird lines and lag?

PermaNull

Posted: Feb 11, 2016 03:56 AM    Msg. 9 of 36       
Thanks for all the replies so far guys, this project made major way and it was functioning fine and I managed to add gun-game and a few other things.

There's still major potential and plenty of way to go, the source code has been at this point released publicly but there's no officially deployed server yet and no launcher or any easy way to make this work for the public.

I hope to have something to get a community together in the coming weeks, ideally I'd like to some how have multiple 'master' servers which allow for translation of XNADDR to secure addr and vice versa due to the fact any latency here can prevent an person from being able to connect to another and etc.

So if we're able to host this on a 'cloud' of some sort it may actually be really reliable, I'm going to try looking into going that route.

----
As far as fixes, I have no idea I'm personally not aware of a lot of the issues people originally experience in H2V I simply decided to re-write LAN support into XLiveless and reverse engineered a bit of how halo 2 operated in terms of using the LAN Support and the security behind it.

I.E. You cannot connect with a direct XNADDR you have to use a secure addr or the connection requests will be rejected.

I've done quite a bit of research into that and also reversed a bit of the scripting functions allowing me to control things like the weapon which a player is currently holding, I had planned on doing more but I just don't have the time.
Edited by PermaNull on Feb 11, 2016 at 03:58 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 11, 2016 06:10 AM    Msg. 10 of 36       
Lol h2 just exploded out of nowhere.

Wtf.

New halo online competitor confirme???

PermaNull

Posted: Feb 19, 2016 01:18 PM    Msg. 11 of 36       
This project is now open source if anyone is interested,
https://gitlab.com/PermaNull/cartographer

It's also got it's own homepage now:
http://www.h2v.online/
Edited by PermaNull on Feb 21, 2016 at 04:17 PM

ThatGuyWhoLikesCats

"If God is love, then you can call me Cupid"

Posted: Feb 19, 2016 04:44 PM    Msg. 12 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: PermaNull

ftfy

PermaNull

Posted: Feb 19, 2016 06:44 PM    Msg. 13 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: ThatGuyWhoLikesCats

ftfy

Huh?

ThatGuyWhoLikesCats

"If God is love, then you can call me Cupid"

Posted: Feb 19, 2016 07:03 PM    Msg. 14 of 36       

ftfy

Huh?
FTFY
Acronym for "fixed that for you."
Often used sarcastically - not to fix an honest mistake, but to sarcastically disagree with someone.
Person A:
"One Direction is awesome."
Person B:
"One Direction is terrible. <-- FTFY."

A simple Urban Dictionary search can help a lot

PermaNull

Posted: Feb 19, 2016 07:58 PM    Msg. 15 of 36       

ftfy

Huh?
FTFY
Often used sarcastically - not to fix an honest mistake, but to sarcastically disagree with someone.
Person A:
Person B:

The confusion wasn't the lack of understanding of FTFY I did find the meaning on urban dictionary...

I just see no changes in your post to mine so how does it make sense?

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Feb 19, 2016 09:18 PM    Msg. 16 of 36       

ftfy

Huh?
FTFY
Person A:
Person B:

The confusion wasn't the lack of understanding of FTFY I did find the meaning on urban dictionary...

I just see no changes in your post to mine so how does it make sense?

He added the (url) bumpers. It's easier clicking for the average forum user
e: url doesn't like square brackets in a different context
Edited by Spartan314 on Feb 19, 2016 at 09:19 PM

DOOM899

{DM} [gamesmaster] if i can ill help maybe

Posted: Feb 20, 2016 06:20 PM    Msg. 17 of 36       
how far are you willing to go with this just asking?

PermaNull

Posted: Feb 21, 2016 12:40 AM    Msg. 18 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: DOOM899

However far the community is willing to take me,
The restored multiplayer already works and it works great as well.

The only things missing currently are latency and map downloading for custom maps in terms of the multiplayer game-play that did exist.

I do have plans to re-implement the ranks that were previously there by previous modders now that at this point ALL servers running would support it.

Beyond that...
I've done work further then just the normal "Get multiplayer working" in order to expand the functionality of the game.

https://gitlab.com/PermaNull/cartographer/commit/14afa84310b684abf01439f9155c3fed109af3c7

So my question is what is it you're looking for?

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 21, 2016 10:12 AM    Msg. 19 of 36       

The only things missing currently are latency and map downloading for custom maps in terms of the multiplayer game-play that did exist.

I do have plans to re-implement the ranks that were previously there by previous modders now that at this point ALL servers running would support it.

Beyond that...
I've done work further then just the normal "Get multiplayer working" in order to expand the functionality of the game.

https://gitlab.com/PermaNull/cartographer/commit/14afa84310b684abf01439f9155c3fed109af3c7

Ftfy.

PermaNull

Posted: Feb 21, 2016 04:16 PM    Msg. 20 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

Beyond that...

Ftfy.

I've been spoiled by updated forums which auto-parse links it would seem.

DOOM899

{DM} [gamesmaster] if i can ill help maybe

Posted: Feb 22, 2016 04:36 AM    Msg. 21 of 36       

Beyond that...

SP Co-op for one
that would be better then CE. AI in MP that 2, that would help.

3rd maybe updated the net code?

that's all for now I don't think you need to be overloaded with ideas
hope for the best cause im hopeful this is going to be good
Edited by DOOM899 on Feb 22, 2016 at 04:38 AM

Idaho

Posted: Feb 22, 2016 07:02 AM    Msg. 22 of 36       

I think a few things to add would be :

For the possibly realistic suggestions :

- Option to choose between LAN & Online play :
It's cool to be able to play Online again but LAN can also be useful, maybe you should add an option in the launcher to choose between LAN & Online before launching the game or try to restore the option in the game menus.

- Fix the bad game options (Control schemes & Video settings) :
This game is just bad when it comes to this, you can't assign keys properly, (especially when you have an azerty keyboard like me), video options also seem to suck ass, I think it could be possible to force more options (like Anisotropic filtering, more Anti-Aliasing, unlocking the FPS cap, Vertical sync, more screen resolutions...etc), also adding an option to remove Mouse Acceleration could be nice, maybe you could add options in the launcher for a better key mapping and better video options or maybe fix what is possible to fix in the game menus.

- Add support for borderless windowed mode :
Borderless windowed mode should be a standard thing nowadays, Adding an option to the launcher should do the trick.

- Let us change the FOV :
Same as borderless windowed, it's a standard thing nowadays, Adding an option to the launcher should do the trick.

- Bring the Example map in the map list :
Bring the example map alon with the other stock maps in the map list.

- Support for ranking :
Restore the ranking thing if possible.

- Make coop work (Campaign & Firefight like experience) :
It seems some people already worked on this and have maybe 60% of the job done but I think it'd need help on the networking side to make things work properly, then maybe once this is working it could help bring support for user-created firefight maps.

- Let us have the dev console in SP :
Maybe that's a possible thing, I'm not sure.

- Improve modding possibilities :
The game's modding possibilities are locked down and would require to be unlocked, you should adress to the big modders around here to know what could be interesting to do (Masterz1337,...etc), I guess the goal would be to have as much possibilities as in Halo:Custom Edition.

Now for the sci-fi suggestions :

- Split-screen mode support :
Maybe it could be possible to restore that from the xbox version & some extensive reverse engineering.

- Add matchmaking support :
Maybe it could be possible to do that with extensive reverse engineering.

- Friendlist support :

- Direct connect support :

So yeah these are a few things that'd help improve H2V by a lot, these are only suggestions though, don't take this as a wishlist or anything fancy, you're free to do whatever you want with your mod ;)

PS: To get more ideas about what to fix, adressing to this page could be a good idea : http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Halo_2
Edited by Idaho on Feb 22, 2016 at 07:38 AM

Twinreaper

Posted: Feb 22, 2016 09:23 AM    Msg. 23 of 36       
Co-Op isn't a networking issue, it's an engine issue. Similar to CE, Halo 2's version of Blam! does not sync certain data types across client and host. The campaign engine is required to enable AI features, which is why specifically in H2, the only mods we were able to achieve involving AI, is to force load a multiplayer map using the engine switch method.

Even the advanced mods that had some sort of co op, the secondary player would not spawn if they died, and bsp loading would be effected, aka, secondary players could not traverse the length of the map properly.

As for unlocking the H2EK, thats not gonna happen. Base code references were removed from Tool, Sapien and Guerilla involving animation, render models, collision geometry and physics. The only method we currently have to get custom models into game, is by converting CE compiled gbx models into H2 render models....which only works properly about 30% of the time.

So unless someone out there figures out exactly how to write a custom compiler to create these otems and an appropriate exporter for the max/maya software, its not gonna happen.

Idaho

Posted: Feb 22, 2016 01:57 PM    Msg. 24 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Twinreaper
Co-Op isn't a networking issue, it's an engine issue. Similar to CE, Halo 2's version of Blam! does not sync certain data types across client and host. The campaign engine is required to enable AI features, which is why specifically in H2, the only mods we were able to achieve involving AI, is to force load a multiplayer map using the engine switch method.

Even the advanced mods that had some sort of co op, the secondary player would not spawn if they died, and bsp loading would be effected, aka, secondary players could not traverse the length of the map properly.

Well then maybe it can be fixed with reverse engineering the engine.

As for unlocking the H2EK, thats not gonna happen. Base code references were removed from Tool, Sapien and Guerilla involving animation, render models, collision geometry and physics. The only method we currently have to get custom models into game, is by converting CE compiled gbx models into H2 render models....which only works properly about 30% of the time.

So unless someone out there figures out exactly how to write a custom compiler to create these otems and an appropriate exporter for the max/maya software, its not gonna happen.

We'll see what happens, I don't have high expectations regarding extending the H2EK possibilities as the game is quite enjoyable as is but maybe it can be done, I've been involved in the community of various game hacking/modifications in the past and I know some stuff that would be perceived as impossible in the beginning of a project aren't as much impossible by the middle of it's progress, so wait and see, you can't eat an elephant in one bite...
Edited by Idaho on Feb 22, 2016 at 04:30 PM

PermaNull

Posted: Feb 22, 2016 04:38 PM    Msg. 25 of 36       
Breaking this down...

Currently there's still tons of ground work which needs to be solved in the current state of things I won't go into very much detail on such but it's mostly bug fixing and improving what's already possible.

Now onto the other stuff,
- Option to choose between LAN & Online play :
PLANNED - It's an easy fix and I'm not thinking of using a launcher to do it, I'm contemplating replacing the mainmenu with a custom one.

- Fix the bad game options (Control schemes & Video settings) :
Some of this can be fixed, and will be fixed other things are well just not that easy, and might be a down the road thing but ultimately some of it is planned and will be supported by the custom Menu mentioned above.

- Add support for borderless windowed mode :
Again setting in custom menu.

- Let us change the FOV :
Setting in custom menu

-- Bring the Example map in the map list :
Maps will eventually be made to download over LAN as they did over live, and we will remove the custom map limit as well.

- Support for ranking :
Planned with better support then before considering all servers will be running it and it won't be a special patch, because we will offer the only way to be online.

- Make coop work (Campaign & Firefight like experience) :
There's been some work done on it...

Map loading hook
https://gitlab.com/PermaNull/cartographer/blob/master/H2MOD.cpp#L198

Quarantine Zone Check
https://gitlab.com/PermaNull/cartographer/blob/master/H2MOD.cpp#L235

Player respawn fix:
https://gitlab.com/PermaNull/cartographer/blob/master/H2MOD.cpp#L283
https://gitlab.com/PermaNull/cartographer/blob/master/H2MOD.cpp#L292

- Let us have the dev console in SP :
Sure some sort of dev console is possible, but it's a matter of what options there really are to give it...

- Improve modding possibilities :
This is more far fetched... I don't involve myself in the file formats, tags, or model types, collision, model formats or etc... I'm just interested in reversing the engine's core functionality.

And so far I've barely even done that the more of the reversing I did was against Games for Windows Live which seems to be the big miss-conception here... this isn't just a halo 2 mod... what I did enables 3rd party non-live Online play via LAN for ANY GFWL game in theory.

GunGame was a halo2 thing however.

Now for the sci-fi suggestions :

Some of these are also planned..

- Split-screen mode support :
Unlikely due to lack of my own interest.

- Add matchmaking support :
Very likely as the population grows.

- Friendlist support :
Already possible and does not require extensive reverse engineering just UI code and our own backend DB to support the friends B.S.

- Direct connect support :
Required for matchmaking.

FPS Limit Increase

This will not happen any time soon if at all, we'll be capping to 60fps so that newer monitors don't get the 'slow motion' issue.
Edited by PermaNull on Feb 22, 2016 at 04:40 PM

Idaho

Posted: Feb 22, 2016 05:22 PM    Msg. 26 of 36       
Nice to hear most of it is possible and WIP, keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to see progress, maybe I could host one of your servers or at least donate to keep up a good hosting :)

Twinreaper

Posted: Feb 23, 2016 07:30 AM    Msg. 27 of 36       
I'm just not sure of the path this is taking. Why such a strong push for force loading multiplayer in a campaign environment? Even the progress that was made in the form of multiplayer AI is about a 1/32nd of what CE achieved. WITHOUT the ability to produce actual custom maps with full shared extracted or compiled resources, nothing will get done.

It's not a simple as just pointing to a resource directory, and using a hook to search and load that tag or dependent data. If that were the case, we would have made full Firefight style maps years ago.

Bonus Questikn: Why such a strong focus on bringing co op anyway? After nearly 15 years...playing Halo 2 campaign regardless of elementary tweaking, is very stale and quite pointless in my opinion. If people really really wanted to play H2 co op, they could do so in less time and less frustration by buying an Xbox Gen 1, and using Tunggle or Xlink.

Idaho

Posted: Feb 23, 2016 07:37 AM    Msg. 28 of 36       
Bonus Questikn: Why such a strong focus on bringing co op anyway? After nearly 15 years...playing Halo 2 campaign regardless of elementary tweaking, is very stale and quite pointless in my opinion. If people really really wanted to play H2 co op, they could do so in less time and less frustration by buying an Xbox Gen 1, and using Tunggle or Xlink.

Not everyone has money to waste on buying some old xbox, also the game would look and play better on the PC, not even mentioning the potential hability to mod stuff around, so yeah playing on an xbox wouldn't be quite the same thing, if there was any good xbox emulator for the PC maybe this would be less relevant but even then we wouldn't have a good hability to mod around and the PC version is the best for that kind of purpose...
Edited by Idaho on Feb 23, 2016 at 07:42 AM

PermaNull

Posted: Feb 23, 2016 02:21 PM    Msg. 29 of 36       
I'm just not sure of the path this is taking. Why such a strong push for force loading multiplayer in a campaign environment? Even the progress that was made in the form of multiplayer AI is about a 1/32nd of what CE achieved. WITHOUT the ability to produce actual custom maps with full shared extracted or compiled resources, nothing will get done.

It's not a simple as just pointing to a resource directory, and using a hook to search and load that tag or dependent data. If that were the case, we would have made full Firefight style maps years ago.

From what I re-call the original xbox did not have system link co-op for starters....

2nd I don't plan to compare myself or this project to anything accomplished for CE and others should do the same, as we're no where near as large of a community or team working on this... We ( by that I mean me and anyone who was simply doing memory edits to 'fix' or 'break' the things we're doing which is what I understand ) lack the experience of the engine and previous to this point I had not worked on anything this deeply in halo which is why I will not be focusing on tags/mods/etc because I simply don't know how that stuff works and don't care to go that deeply into it.

You have to understand my position here was that I did not play the game and was not hardcore into reviving it, it was requested of me due to people knowing that I had the knowledge to at least figure that much out, So I did so and had some of my own fun in regards to creating stupid game types like GunGame because it was expansions to the engine and fun small projects I could do.

The community 'grew' slightly around the project and one of the things that was asked of me was to look into fixing the issues with current co-op hacks, so I took a few hours and did so when not working on the other portions of this 'mod'... The main goal of this mod currently is to simply restore multiplayer not necessarily make the game any better and that's what it was when it started as well.

Why? Because I personally didn't play PC enough to care about it being any better I was a 'console fag' I loved halo 2 on the xbox I enjoyed endless hours of it and that's about all this gives me is the nostalgia of what I knew... I never cared about AI in MP or firefight or etc when I played on xbox I just loved the competitive game play, and there's tons of people complaining about that with vista which I still don't get.

So Supersniper directs some things that he thinks will help 'fix' the game I don't think is broken personally and I offer to insert them into a mod that does nothing more then restore multiplayer through some fancy written network code to surround xliveless.

Now...

Don't get me wrong part of the reason I've open-sourced the mod is that in the hopes someone who is experienced enough with the engine will be willing to put their 2 cents into the mix and do things like firefight.

But currently you've got one guy with 0 motivation to touch co-op,firefight, or etc and just a willingness to look at it due to a few people requesting it.

This kind of thing requires motivation to dedicate the amount of time it takes into perfecting it and it just seems I don't have enough of it to go down the route of tags, in-depth, mods, and editing tools.

I'm willing to re-introduce what was to bring game-play back to where it was such as the alternative game-spy did for halo:ce but beyond that... why would I really want to change much more then the experience I loved and enjoyed in my earlier years?

Things like GunGame appeal to me because it introduces game-modes I never got to play in halo before that I loved in other games...

Though I will admit that the custom maps in halo 2 vista are something that made me enjoy it more I stepped away from halo 2 xbox before any real custom maps with custom BSP were being accomplished.

The problem is I'm not as bored of what's there and what's limited as everyone else is on PC because for me all of the custom content is still completely new content to me, I've never had the chance to play any of it or enjoy it.

So those limitations or lack of tools aren't very limiting or lacking for myself at the moment.

Don't get me wrong though nothing I've said is me saying I won't be willing to look into tags or bsps, or whatever else needs to be done... I'm just saying with my lack of motivation or help from the community who understands such in doing so. It's going to be quite the difficult and almost impossible process.

I am not a halo modder, I do not understand the tag data and I do not know the limitations behind any of these things... I know assembly, and I know C among other things beyond that I don't even know how half the mods that are done are done, early on I requested help from a few people who were interested in modding halo 2 previously and do understand these things but all of that led to just being told they weren't interested anymore or that there was no point to continue forward.

If that's the attitude anyone who actually wants progress has towards things how do you expect those things to ever be achieved?, Simply put you don't you've all got such a negative view on it that you're bringing down any potential progress with you because there are new people coming into this game who may have experience to make things possible that weren't before with just a guide in the right direction or some of the research you've conducted... which may lead to you asking why don't they do the research them selves if they have that experience? simply put lack of motivation as I've said it already...

I'm not going to put additional time into exploring something I frankly don't care about but if you make my life easier and give some research, guidance, direction in the matter as far as how something works or what you're looking for and I don't feel like it's going to end up in a mess maybe I'd be willing to put some actual time into it knowing that someone else actually cares... at the moment the reason my focus on co-op even happened was because people who wanted co-op to work had actually sat down with me and said hey "I made this tool, and it made co-op work a bit", "Here's my offsets", "Here's how it works","Here's some ideas","Here's what's wrong."....

While I myself had no cares in the world about it these people's dedication gave me the slightest bit of motivation to actually make it work because they had already put in some time of their own and they were still ambitious to move forward and still to this day would try to make it work even without my help... not being pessimistic saying the game is dead or there's things missing or it's too locked so they don't want to try at all not trying at all is a great way to never get anything done.

I guess my point is that I'd like if some of you 'moders' who are mad about tools being locked, or things not existing would be less pessimistic and more opportunistic taking advantage of the fact there's a new player in the scene who has the experience to reverse engineer key points of the engine that no one else was willing to do before who had the experience... instead of whining about what is currently being worked on or why and how it doesn't actually improve game-play in your opinion if you truly believe that and you care help do something about it!

In-fact I was considering trying to find someone to help make custom maps specifically for the purposes of gun-game and zombies once we were at a completely stable point with those because I thought it would offer an amazing experience, and on the flip side some people can't enjoy what they have available to them... I'm trying to enjoy the experience I'm able to have and offer an alternative one to people it may not be AI but it's certainly different and while some people's opinion is that it's not improving the game... that's still opinion, don't get me wrong I don't feel as if co-op improves game play at all but a lot of people seem to want it so who am I to not at the very least look into it?

Edited by PermaNull on Feb 23, 2016 at 02:36 PM

Twinreaper

Posted: Feb 23, 2016 07:34 PM    Msg. 30 of 36       
IfI come accross as whiney, it isnt meant to be that, its utter frustration. After nearly 10 years of devoting myself to the game, we are left still yet again high and dry. Its not you that im frustrated with, its the lack of HEK we have to work with, and the 0 support from Microsoft.

As much as I would enjoy passing my knowledge along to someone else who wants to carry the torch, at this point there is nothing gratifying for me in the game any longer. So much to the point that my almost 40g of personal source material will never be worked on or conpleted.

I did not know that you hadnt been around long enough to enjoy Halo from the start, from an expert modding perspective. For that I apologize and simply just wish you well in you endevours.

supersniper

fear the sniper

Posted: Feb 24, 2016 01:36 AM    Msg. 31 of 36       
IfI come accross as whiney, it isnt meant to be that, its utter frustration. After nearly 10 years of devoting myself to the game, we are left still yet again high and dry. Its not you that im frustrated with, its the lack of HEK we have to work with, and the 0 support from Microsoft.

As much as I would enjoy passing my knowledge along to someone else who wants to carry the torch, at this point there is nothing gratifying for me in the game any longer. So much to the point that my almost 40g of personal source material will never be worked on or conpleted.

I did not know that you hadnt been around long enough to enjoy Halo from the start, from an expert modding perspective. For that I apologize and simply just wish you well in you endevours.
Twinreaper I also have felt your frustration. But honestly we could use the help with the custom content aspect of halo 2. Unlike perma who is primarily focusing on creating a third party multiplayer experience that can negate xlive for all xlive based games. My primary focus is Halo 2. I want to bring a new and better experience to the game. Of course He has done something that I couldn't have accomplished on my own at all. Perma's extensive knowledge in reverse engineering, and ASM has helped tremendously but as he said we "are a small team". Having a diverse team that can work on different aspects would be the best.

Now I get that you don't want anything to do with the game but maybe you will change your mind in the future when the work currently being done has attracted a nice crowd of players. The work you, kills alone, scrapy, slater fury, Kirby, and Kant have done in the custom content aspect of Halo 2 is amazing and it would be awesome if we could expand it.

Now Perma has portrayed what he is willing to do and what he isn't willing to do. Like him, my primary goal was to bring back multiplayer. He and I do have different opinions on how it should be handled but ultimately I like the approach he is taking and could benefit immensely in the future.

With all this being said, don't give up all faith, just have a little more patience.

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 24, 2016 11:03 AM    Msg. 32 of 36       
I would just like to play h2mp.

Forget the EK crap. (ik but cmon guys it's too much fuss.)

Twinreaper

Posted: Feb 26, 2016 08:45 PM    Msg. 33 of 36       
Believe me Sniper, I have been patient but my hopes have dwindled substatialy. At this point unless I finally get custom animations, collision, physics models, render_models, sounds along with a custom shared and sp shared resource to compile and work in the EK.....I have nothing left.

There is also the 20mb map limit that literally stops a LOT of thinhs from happening. Yes I can create basic collision physics for crate and scenery items. But in order to add more complex items to a map I need compiling to work. Having to add those items into a map as instanced geometry just to make things look complete, leave no room for actual good geometry and greatly inhibits gameplay value.

I have worked tirelessly with Korns private H2EK source code in hopes of finishing and completeing what he couldnt.....but in the end I couldnt do it either. From a content perspective, gametypes, server side scripting and co op items will do little to nothing to reinvent or repopulate the game unless we can offer an experience that matches something from at least the last decade of Halo online gaming.

Now unless someone finds a way to efficiently script in a server and client along with compiling methid of using outide raw resources in-game...my hopes are not high. I will continue my own work off and on in regards to map and tag content in hopes that usage of said materials may be able to one day be of use.

Idaho

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 01:54 PM    Msg. 34 of 36       
For those interested, this mod has released, you can check it out there : http://www.h2v.online/

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 04:52 PM    Msg. 35 of 36       
Quote: --- Original message by: Idaho

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu April 27, 2017 4:46 PM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website