A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »A lot of confusion regarding Tool.exe/H2tool.exe

Author Topic: A lot of confusion regarding Tool.exe/H2tool.exe (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

tylerfb11

If you're not McLovin it, your wrong.

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 12:20 AM    Msg. 1 of 7       
Okay, I might ramble a bit here, I also may be inncorect about several assumtions, feel free to correct me if so.

So I'm diving into the prospect of map-making for H2, and the recource material ive found on the glorious interwebz is sparodic and confusing at best.

Most of the (pretty much all) info ive found is relating to CE, and im staring to make the assumption that CE maps will work with H2V, so ive been taking all the info i find on both and pooling that data together in hopes to figure things out by trial-and-error.

ive gooten a pretty clear (foggy) idea about how the process works, but i am running into problems with Tool/H2tool.

seeing as Tool comes packaged with CE, and i do not have CE, ive deduced that H2tool (that comes with H2V) is more-or-less the same thing, maybe tweaked, or updated, or whatever - i've been trying to use it to no avail.

ive got my simple map, exported using Chimp 1.6, and am trying to use H2tool to complete the next step. At first it complained about missing the mss32.dll, so i tossed a copy of it into the directory. Now it complains about missing the proc entry point for set_sound (somthing like that, can remember exactly what it was called). Now, i do understand what a Proc is, as i have a background in c++, but im unsure what to do now.

maybe im missing some key info? Or maybe my assumption about H2tool is totaly wrong?

using 3ds max to get a .ass is totaly out of the question it seems, since they want 185 freaking dollars per month for the software, and the new version of 3ds max does not support mirosoft's plugin anyways.

Ive used gMax to do my 3D editing for this.

If it means anything to anyone, im using Tunngle to play H2 online, and thats where im heading for a bit to clear my head.

Any. Help. Is. Super. Appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 02:27 PM    Msg. 2 of 7       
H2V uses .ASS files instead of .JMS files. If you follow a HCE modeling tutorial for gmax, and use this instead of chimp or bluestreak, and replace frame with b_levelroot

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 02:59 PM    Msg. 3 of 7       
What does jms stand for?

Jason model save?

tylerfb11

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 03:13 PM    Msg. 4 of 7       
Hey there! Thanks a ton for that link!

origanly i had been trying to find a way to export to .ass but after having to such luck i ended up working with .jsm (faintly hoping that they were somehow interchangeable once all was said and done). Thanks for clearing that up.

Although that script did not seem to work with gmax, maybe i was doing somthing wrong, but i gave me an error, somthing about class issues. But a little birdy brought me a copy of 3dsmax 2008 last night, and the script worked great with it.

But now i am trying to compile the .ass with the editor tool, and it claims it cannot find the sturcture data directory. The .ass file is indeed inside a folder named 'structure'.

Again, im blazing through any documentation i can find, but if you could help me that would be simply fantastic.

EDIT: I figured out the folder structure, so far so good!
Edited by tylerfb11 on Nov 11, 2015 at 03:31 PM

Twinreaper

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 08:55 PM    Msg. 5 of 7       
The version of 3dsmax you need to use is 7 or 8. Both can be found all over the internet with working cracks.

Don't listen to anyone about renaming items via a CE method. There is nothing you can do to convert a CE bsp or source file, into a working bsp or source file for H2V. The only raw compatible tags that work 100% across both games is certain types of bitmaps and all .snd files.

If your serious about getting back into H2V and producing some content, stop by H2PC.org and have a look at what we have done to further the development possibilities of the game and the tweaked tools and resources we have. Good luck in the future mate!

tylerfb11

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 09:26 PM    Msg. 6 of 7       
Thanks, and you have successfully recruited a new minion ;)

Halonimator

Halo5gsucks.com

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 09:38 PM    Msg. 7 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: Twinreaper
The version of 3dsmax you need to use is 7 or 8. Both can be found all over the internet with working cracks.

Don't listen to anyone about renaming items via a CE method. There is nothing you can do to convert a CE bsp or source file, into a working bsp or source file for H2V. The only raw compatible tags that work 100% across both games is certain types of bitmaps and all .snd files.

If your serious about getting back into H2V and producing some content, stop by H2PC.org and have a look at what we have done to further the development possibilities of the game and the tweaked tools and resources we have. Good luck in the future mate!

And sound tags

Edited by Halonimator on Nov 11, 2015 at 09:38 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun July 23, 2017 8:44 PM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website