A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »HAC2 is crashing Halo, haloanticheat.com domain has expired

Author Topic: HAC2 is crashing Halo, haloanticheat.com domain has expired (34 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

msalerno

Posted: Dec 9, 2015 08:27 PM    Msg. 1 of 34       
The HAC2 website is down, domain name haloanticheat.com seems to have expired.

This makes HAC2 crash Halo on startup. The "fix" for now is to copy hac.dll from your local temp folder, to the main directory where Halo is installed.

You can do this for now, to fix this:

Press the windows key, hold, and press "R" (Windows-R) - this will bring up the "Run" dialog.

For Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10, enter:

%USERPROFILE%\appdata\local\temp

For Windows XP, enter:

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\temp

This will open a window where you can find your copy of hac.dll

Right-click on the file, and select Copy

Then, Windows+R again.

For 64-bit versions of windows, enter this for Halo CE:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition

For 32-bit versions:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition

Another window will open with the contents of your Halo install directory.

Right-click anywhere in the file list, and select Paste

Windows will probably ask you if you want to do this with administrator privileges, say Yes

Once the file is copied into the Halo install directory, it will (should) no longer crash on startup if it cannot contact haloanticheat.com

If Btcc22 doesn't come up with a fix for this quickly, we at Realworld® will come up with a permanent fix for this. Stay tuned.

TheMegajd16

wait, what??!?

Posted: Dec 9, 2015 08:56 PM    Msg. 2 of 34       
Thanks about this.
Waiting for BTCC22

msalerno

Posted: Dec 9, 2015 09:07 PM    Msg. 3 of 34       
His servers are still up, and answer on their IP addresses, but if the domain itself is gone, nothing works.

There is a Rube-Goldberg-type workaround that involves putting his hostnames and IP addresses in your local HOSTS file, but it doesn't help with map downloads. It only fixes the initial crash.

The Realworld® HAC2 map mirror fails to serve maps because it can't figure out what maps.haloanticheat.com is. I can probably work around that with an edit to the PHP script on the site, but that would only work for our mirror, and not the main HAC2 map download site. I think it has the same issue, it can't resolve it's only name within a PHP script.

Hopefully, this gets fixed quickly. I'm more than willing to make a go of it myself if I have to :)

(sigh again on the self-bump restriction)

Quote: --- Original message by: AlissArcana

Edit: I just realized, you guys are panicking over something that is easily fixed, by not having hac.dll in your temp folder ever. Oh well.
Edited by AlissArcana on Dec 9, 2015 at 09:08 PM

It's not just the initial crash, map downloads are also affected.

And it's not about me or any other player with a whit of sense that can make this work, it's the rest of the players who seem to have disappeared in the past 24 hours.
Edited by msalerno on Dec 9, 2015 at 09:24 PM

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 12:19 AM    Msg. 4 of 34       
You wanted a bump? Eh, sorry, I can't help you there buddy.

:)

Mushi

Halo's Ring is just, Awesome.

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 08:20 AM    Msg. 5 of 34       
God...Thank this person for helping all of us. Now if only you could help me with my Mis problems for win 10...

Anyway thanks again.

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 11:28 AM    Msg. 6 of 34       
How big is the impact? Is everyone that has HAC2 experiencing crashes? Is it only when downloading maps, or upon launch of the game?

I didn't notice anything when I played last night around 9pm EST...

stunt_man

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 11:34 AM    Msg. 7 of 34       
Is hac.dll in the root directory by default? Why would it be anywhere else?

Harbinger

Shoot first - Ask questions later.

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 01:16 PM    Msg. 8 of 34       
The design of HAC 2 was such that it could be easily updated by "Phoning Home", something which Dennis (here) wasn't happy about (and as it appears, quite rightly so) since it depends on a single privately registered domain: haloanticheat.com being available 24/7, and which now it seems that this domain registration has now expired, leaving literally 100's of HAC 2 users potentially up the Creek and without a Paddle.

In order for HAC 2 to work, a loader.dll (placed in the controls folder) is responsible for initiating the process, with the most recently updated hac.dll downloaded to the temp directory to get around Administrative Rights issues on Limited User Accounts. However it's entirely possible to override the update check by simply placing the hac.dll in the game root directory. Doing so prevents further updates occurring, but allows HAC 2 basic functionality to operate independently of haloanticheat.com and more importantly, without crashing the game upon launch. This fix alone though, wont permit any In-game Map Downloading, since this precess currently depends on haloanticheat.com being operational.

For those users who have a functional hac.dll located in their temp folder, then the process of copying it over to the game root directory is fairly painless, but not every player (or new user) will have hac.dll downloaded.

Fortunately you can download the most recent version of hac.dll (courtesy of Realworld Guild) here: http://realworldce.com/apps/Hac2/hac.zip

loader.dll is available (again, courtesy of Realworld Guild) here: http://realworldce.com/apps/Hac2/loader.zip

The Full Original Topic and ALL associated HAC 2 files are available here: http://www.realworldce.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4481

Harb.
Admin Core: Realworld Guild
Edited by Harbinger on Dec 10, 2015 at 01:17 PM
Edited by Harbinger on Dec 10, 2015 at 01:19 PM

Btcc22

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 01:36 PM    Msg. 9 of 34       
Dennis' concerns weren't about whether a bug in the HTTP library's networking in conjunction with a Direct3D related issue would cause a crash under particular conditions but rather trust.

Edit: Services should be functional once more.
Edited by Btcc22 on Dec 10, 2015 at 01:47 PM

stunt_man

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 02:47 PM    Msg. 10 of 34       
Thanks Btcc22 & Harbinger for the explanation.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 07:18 PM    Msg. 11 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: Harbinger
The design of HAC 2 was such that it could be easily updated by "Phoning Home", something which Dennis (here) wasn't happy about

Quote: --- Original message by: Btcc22
Dennis' concerns weren't about whether a bug in the HTTP library's networking in conjunction with a Direct3D related issue would cause a crash under particular conditions but rather trust.
I have no issues with HAC or any of the 3rd party ad-ins (except those with built in Trojans). I would not allow automated downloads systems to access the file archive. For two main reasons: 1) Yes, trust that the application would not act improperly or flood the archive and 2) We require a human to once in a while look at an ad before downloading to help support this website.

msalerno

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 07:22 PM    Msg. 12 of 34       
haloanticheat.com is back, and registered to the correct nameservers once again.

Btcc22 must have a long TTL (time to live) on his DNS records ;)

My DNS servers were still caching the bad entries.

Btcc22, you really need to keep it from crashing Halo completely if it can't talk to your servers.

On edit:

You may have to wait a while for the domain to come back, if your ISP is caching DNS entries. Even if Btcc22 doesn't have a long TTL on the domain records, ISPs can force caching for much longer.
Edited by msalerno on Dec 10, 2015 at 07:27 PM

Harbinger

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 07:38 PM    Msg. 13 of 34       
Realworld Guild acts as an Official HAC 2 Map Download Mirror... and although the Map Download process is automated, it's a one-way process. There's no possibility of any "trojan" activity on the download end, and it's true, it is a question of trust.

My concerns were that if haloanticheat.com disappears, then under the current methodology HAC 2 functionality ceases. It's never has been concerning distrusting Btcc22 or his efforts, but it still doesn't solve the problem of the game now having so much reliance on just Btcc22.

msalerno

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 07:42 PM    Msg. 14 of 34       
And on top of that, how it reacts when it DOES lose connectivity to it's site.

It shouldn't crash the Halo client.

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 07:56 PM    Msg. 15 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
The design of HAC 2 was such that it could be easily updated by "Phoning Home", something which Dennis (here) wasn't happy about

I have no issues with HAC or any of the 3rd party ad-ins (except those with built in Trojans).

Dennis, can you clarify this for me please? My Zeus Relay program has a separate network connection apart from Halo. I don't quite understand if this fits your definition of "Trojan" and what exactly you mean by a modification or program adding a "Trojan". As far as I can tell, this just loosely means adding another connection, which would be what I'm working on with Zeus Relay. Thanks for your consideration. So what do you mean by a "built-in Trojan"? Something that initiates a connection without the users' consent, or a kind of "behind-their-backs" approach?

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 08:50 PM    Msg. 16 of 34       
Trojan is a virus.

Vaporeon

Vap~

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 12:54 AM    Msg. 17 of 34       
If this happens again what is to stop someone registering the domain and spreading a virus as a fake update?

Btcc22

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 04:32 AM    Msg. 18 of 34       
I have no issues with HAC or any of the 3rd party ad-ins (except those with built in Trojans).
User made applications that attempt to phone home is... well it's very very bad. We will never host this application if it does this.

Quote: --- Original message by: Sean Aero
Second, I think you are confused with him asking for bandwidth for map hosting, not app hosting.
Nope not at all. We will not host this application for download in the file archive if it phones home without user knowledge or initiation. We have already removed several that have done that.

I don't think it takes much reading between the lines to see that trust was a concern, which is fair enough.

Quote: --- Original message by: Vaporeon
If this happens again what is to stop someone registering the domain and spreading a virus as a fake update?

Good question. The intention was to switch to signed updates to ensure that the updater will only accept files that I've produced. Admittedly, development of HAC2 has stagnated thanks to a combination of other projects, life and (mostly) needing a break from Halo-related development.

With that said, I'll do what I can to replace the ailing loader.dll by the end of the month.
Edited by Btcc22 on Dec 11, 2015 at 04:46 AM

Harbinger

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 07:10 AM    Msg. 19 of 34       
This is good news, and which hopefully lessons will be learnt by all.

Is it possible for some kind of "Official (fail-safe backup) Website" fall-over protection in case anything like this ever occurs again? In which case, Realworld Guild (RWG Hosting EU), and I'm sure that msalerno (Kilowatt Computers USA) will be pleased to assist.

Perhaps even Dennis might consider some official support in this venture, if both trust and security concerns can be iron out?

sparky

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 08:42 AM    Msg. 20 of 34       
Look at the Sparkle framework.

There's nothing wrong with needing breaks. Like someone told me on HaloMD chat, "IRL comes first".

stunt_man

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 09:48 AM    Msg. 21 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Look at the Sparkle framework.

There's nothing wrong with needing breaks. Like someone told me on HaloMD chat, "IRL comes first".

I agree. The amount of effort and continuous support that Btcc22 and sehe have invested into the longevity of this game is beyond measure and I hope everyone here, despite any personal squabbles, can respect that.

Realworld Guild acts as an Official HAC 2 Map Download Mirror...

Can maps be submitted through you guys? Or is Btcc22 the only one that can submit new maps?
Edited by stunt_man on Dec 11, 2015 at 11:07 AM

Btcc22

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 12:30 PM    Msg. 22 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: stunt_man
Can maps be submitted through you guys? Or is Btcc22 the only one that can submit new maps?

The maps have to go through me, although the next release (whenever that may be) should see decentralised map downloading, allowing servers to host their own maps.

sparky

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 12:45 PM    Msg. 23 of 34       
That's actually how it's done with the Marathon game's networking. But map sizes there are typically under 1MB, or under 50MB at the most.

stunt_man

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 12:57 PM    Msg. 24 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: stunt_man

The maps have to go through me, although the next release (whenever that may be) should see decentralised map downloading, allowing servers to host their own maps.

Cool thanks for the quick response

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Dec 12, 2015 02:16 AM    Msg. 25 of 34       

Quote: --- Original message by: Sean Aero
Second, I think you are confused with him asking for bandwidth for map hosting, not app hosting.
Nope not at all. We will not host this application for download in the file archive if it phones home without user knowledge or initiation. We have already removed several that have done that.

Edited by Dennis on Dec 12, 2015 at 02:17 AM

n00b1n8R

Major League Trolling

Posted: Dec 12, 2015 05:38 AM    Msg. 26 of 34       
Hey Btcc22, just wanted to say HAC and its automated map downloading is one of the best developments in the history of this game. I really appreciate your work.
Edited by n00b1n8R on Dec 12, 2015 at 05:39 AM

Harbinger

Posted: Dec 12, 2015 06:32 AM    Msg. 27 of 34       
Indeed, Halo Custom Edition (and to a lesser extent with Halo: Combat Evolved Map Mods etc.) WAS designed for playing User Created (Custom) Maps, and automatic "In-Game" Map installation is without doubt THE best innovation since the game's release. This single ability alone, has not only opened up the ease which many players now enjoy playing new maps, but also helped ensure that players remain on a server cycle without having to first exit and then obtain a map, install, and then try and rejoin the game.

An In-Game Auto-Map install feature does not effect the need of having and maintaining superb Map Sites (such as Halo Maps here etc.) in any way, since map creators must have somewhere to "Showcase" their work and for players too, who still require the ability to initially review and then go test out new maps. In fact the requirement to first review and then test out a new map is of paramount importance for most server host operators before then committing a new map to their server cycle, and perhaps even more importantly, also to discover the game types which really work best with a map. I view both these two separate functions; of maintaining Map Sites, and "on the fly" In-game map installation as entirely complimentary to ensuring the longevity of this game.

However or from wherever maps are resourced in game, it's actually playing these maps that keeps the game alive. The work of Btcc22 (and others alike in this respect) can only and must only be commended, and their effort should be entirely supported in every way possible.
Edited by Harbinger on Dec 12, 2015 at 06:37 AM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Dec 12, 2015 06:38 AM    Msg. 28 of 34       
the requirement to first review and then test out a new map is of paramount importance for most server host operators before then committing a new map to their server cycle, and perhaps even more importantly, also to discover the game types which really work best with a map. I

MEXICANS! /\

Quote: --- Original message by: HarbingerThe work of Btcc22 (and others in this respect alike)can only be commended, and their efforts should be supported entirely.

Here here.

sparky

Posted: Dec 13, 2015 02:16 PM    Msg. 29 of 34       
I agree that the additon of the creative potential to the Halo franchise has been the primary reason why Halo is continued to be consiered a playable game these ~15 years later.

002 brought that automated downloading to HaloMD, like Samuco had experimented in the past, and nil had supported in that program.

The modding and program development is mostly the result of community work, but also is made much easier through what Gearbox Software and Bungie did, even though those of us who use the game and attempt to apply new content and concepts to it seek to expand the possibilities in apparent limitation.

StormUndBlackbird

https://youtube.com/StormUndBlackbird

Posted: Dec 30, 2015 12:36 PM    Msg. 30 of 34       
Time to revive this thread cuz I'm not sure where to put this in.

https://youtu.be/MjrjtOszrmg

The map shown ain't on my maps folder, so when taking action of trying to download it, ^ happens. The video might not continue, but in my part, the game froze at that point and I had to killswitch the game.

Apperantly, same stuff's been happening to some of my friends too.
Edited by StormUndBlackbird on Dec 30, 2015 at 02:17 PM

Btcc22

Posted: Dec 30, 2015 02:31 PM    Msg. 31 of 34       
Thanks for the post - the problem should be resolved.

StormUndBlackbird

https://youtube.com/StormUndBlackbird

Posted: Mar 5, 2016 07:26 AM    Msg. 32 of 34       
Got a tip from someone, who's using the Halo 4 medals. Whenever he suicides, this error accurs and no more medals pop up afterwards.

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 5, 2016 06:10 PM    Msg. 33 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: StormUndBlackbird
Got a tip from someone, who's using the Halo 4 medals. Whenever he suicides, this error accurs and no more medals pop up afterwards.

http://i.imgur.com/DNPUCKo.png

A tip?

That doesn't sound grammatically correct to my ears.

Try:

Message.

Indication.

Warning.

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 5, 2016 06:27 PM    Msg. 34 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: tarikja
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Quote: --- Original message by: StormUndBlackbird

http://i.imgur.com/DNPUCKo.png

A tip?

That doesn't sound grammatically correct to my ears.

Try:

Message.

Indication.

Warning.

How about:

Promulgation

Memorandum

Data dissemination

:^)

Those work too!

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu October 17, 2019 1:40 PM 312 ms.
A Halo Maps Website