A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »What would Halo be like with 100 players?

Author Topic: What would Halo be like with 100 players? (26 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: Dec 13, 2015 11:01 PM    Msg. 1 of 26       

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Dec 13, 2015 11:14 PM    Msg. 2 of 26       
it'd be better with less open space so you're not subjected to snipers at all times.

I wonder if my urban map could support this many players with the building interiors included.

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Dec 13, 2015 11:39 PM    Msg. 3 of 26       
Probably like most of the AI in multiplayer maps

Zonda

Posted: Dec 13, 2015 11:47 PM    Msg. 4 of 26       
Well, Halo CE with 100 players in a single server would probably run at 1 frame every 8 seconds. Assuming the engine/PC it's running on can handle that much going on at once, there would be a severe lack of Ammo, and even the biggest maps would be a meat grinder on spawn, with a single grenade thrown randomly getting you at least 6 kills with its preposterous blast radius.

Assuming there was a new release with Maps designed for that many players, there would likely be upwards of 10 key areas of fighting simultaneously. It's pretty unrealistic though, as fun as the idea may seem: Getting 99 others into a single lobby would be huge task, and you'd probably get 20+ AFK players. Plus long term gameplay would suffer, further down the track with a reduced population in the game you won't be able to get a full lobby and 60/100 players would hamstring the game flow compared to a full lobby of dedicated players.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 02:42 AM    Msg. 5 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: Zonda
Assuming there was a new release with Maps designed for that many players, there would likely be upwards of 10 key areas of fighting simultaneously. It's pretty unrealistic though, as fun as the idea may seem

While 100 players on CE seems quite preposterous, if you've seen some of the earlier maps it doesn't seem completely infeasible. Look at maps like Coldsnap and Extinction, which focus some serious team play on vehicles if you've got the set up for it, and the size is made such that the sheer amount of players would justify the size of the map. Given the actual map layouts would be in severe need of work, you could still get some interesting plays going on.

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 03:00 AM    Msg. 6 of 26       
IMO, 100 players probably wouldn't be too laggy for players, though it would be an excessive amount of objects even for a campaign map.

Each player would take up 3 objects (1 biped + 2 weapons), and each player could potentially be firing or throwing grenades, creating more objects and quickly breaking the particle limit from explosions and grenades. Halo can only keep track of 1024 particles and 2048 objects, with render limits for each (i.e. 256 objects can be rendered at once, 1024 with HAC2). You may need to dial down the graphics on each effect just to avoid hitting things like the particle limit.

Unmodified stock maps would obviously not support 100 players without waiting for respawn times, and most won't support much more than 16, so we'll need to look to custom maps to support this.

Vehicles wouldn't be an issue with 100 players. With 6 different types of vehicles, you can have 7 of each vehicle (only 4 if you use Halo's gametype editor) per team, totaling 84 vehicles (48 with 4 of each vehicle instead of 7). If you count the number of seats on all of the stock vehicles (1 for banshee, 1 for ghost, 1 for turret, 5 for scorpion, 3 for warthog, 3 for rocket warthog), then you get 196 seats total (112 with 4 of each vehicle instead of 7).

You would also need to make epic sized maps that could support this. Bigass probably could do this, but the bases would definitely suffer crowding on team games.

The main issue would be things like the chat. You would have to talk over potentially 99 other players. Admins would also find it hard to moderate the server, as the maximum number of lines in the console is a lot less than 100 (or even a quarter of that), making commands like sv_players useless. Really, having way too many players would be very impractical, though I guess it could be fun for a while.

Edited by 002 on Dec 14, 2015 at 03:10 AM

Tech

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 04:18 AM    Msg. 7 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: Fatpanda

Dude u havent achived increasin playerz at least show it to us that u can do it man!

Dont talk about it just show it then we believe it!

Sparky u havent clearly didnt do NOTHIN at all for this community! U just said freakin early on increasin players is possible if it is then show it!
Edited by Fatpanda on Dec 14, 2015 at 03:04 AM

Question is, what have YOU done? Aside from flaming people...

yes I know I'm responding to the troll
Edited by Tech on Dec 14, 2015 at 04:19 AM
Edited by Tech on Dec 14, 2015 at 04:21 AM

ThatGuyWhoLikesCats

"If God is love, then you can call me Cupid"

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 05:36 AM    Msg. 8 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tech

Dude u havent achived increasin playerz at least show it to us that u can do it man!

Sparky u havent clearly didnt do NOTHIN at all for this community! U just said freakin early on increasin players is possible if it is then show it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ85hQUtkjQ

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 11:08 AM    Msg. 9 of 26       

Quote: --- Original message by: Tech

am not flamin. Dude spark kept sayin he will increase players but yet still no miracles.

sparky why not make dis simple and just make one thread of u workin on 100 playerz for mp.
Edited by Fatpanda on Dec 14, 2015 at 05:49 AM

I am curious as to when you (the troll) will realize that no one actually cares about what you say. You've lost all creditibility here and your efforts (much like yourself) are simply a waste of time and internet space.

EDIT: messed up quote stacks.

Edited by Jesse on Dec 14, 2015 at 11:09 AM

sparky

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 12:00 PM    Msg. 10 of 26       
It's because I want to discuss it, not promise it. This is the "Halo CE General Discussion" forum, not the "Halo CE General Promising" forum. So don't jump to conclusions before the discussion has been made. You are expecting Z before anyone here has been given the opportunity to present letters A through Y.

Fools rush and entertain disaster. Or do you want me to be foolish and make a computer program that compromises the integrity of all the players' computers in the Halo communities? Memory leaks and crashes are not the extents of what problems can result when you include networking and memory injection / editing. So don't insist upon results when those results are only obtained at the time you want them through bad actions.

Edited by sparky on Dec 14, 2015 at 12:07 PM

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 12:44 PM    Msg. 11 of 26       
Don't worry fatpanda sparky is working on 100 players for halo: online

sparky

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 12:59 PM    Msg. 12 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
Don't worry fatpanda sparky is working on 100 players for halo: online

Didn't you get the memo? That task was reassigned to your department 5 weeks ago.

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 01:01 PM    Msg. 13 of 26       
Half life 1 can handle 32 players, why halo ce can't ?

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 01:25 PM    Msg. 14 of 26       
Halo can have 32 players when we can surpass our pathetic teenager-level coding skills.

Out Of Memory Exceptions, Buffer Underruns, obscure D3D hooks that we blame on the devs instead of compensating for(wasting almost 8 months), no fallbacks written in the code leading to one missing prereq completely crashing halo, Vehemently coding programs specifically for 1.07 and nothing else, yadda yadda yadda...
Edited by OrangeJuice on Dec 14, 2015 at 01:28 PM

Btcc22

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 03:22 PM    Msg. 15 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

Halo can have 32 players when we can surpass our pathetic teenager-level coding skills.

Out Of Memory Exceptions, Buffer Underruns, obscure D3D hooks that we blame on the devs instead of compensating for(wasting almost 8 months), no fallbacks written in the code leading to one missing prereq completely crashing halo, Vehemently coding programs specifically for 1.07 and nothing else, yadda yadda yadda...

It's almost as if writing software that uses and abuses other pieces of software in ways that were never intended is occasionally tricky and error-prone. :(
Edited by Btcc22 on Dec 14, 2015 at 03:23 PM

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: Dec 15, 2015 10:18 AM    Msg. 16 of 26       
What's with the obsession to get as many players into a game as possible?

The game already plays like crap with 16 players ffs.

NeX

Posted: Dec 15, 2015 11:01 AM    Msg. 17 of 26       
I don't see much point in the discussion without at least a proof-of-concept first - be it with multiple instanced clients on a local server, but showing that there can be functionally >16 players should be the first order of business. Theory is great, and is the foundation for practical application, but once the theory has been shown to support it, until a first use case is established the discussion about "more than 16 players" is irrelevant. Samuco went into great detail about the issues and problems he encountered when adding another player, and I don't recall him proceeding with the line of inquiry/development as he considered those issues either insurmountable or perceived the end result to be a bad ratio of cost:reward.

TL;DR: of course it's possible to get >16 players into a halo server. But no one has successfully demonstrated that additional players can be added functionally (client with full control for player # 17+), so that becomes the next hurdle before discussion is really necessary.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Dec 15, 2015 01:56 PM    Msg. 18 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: tarikja
"Waiting for space To clear"

I thought you fixed your zipper.

sparky

Posted: Dec 15, 2015 03:05 PM    Msg. 19 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: NeX
I don't see much point in the discussion without at least a proof-of-concept first - be it with multiple instanced clients on a local server, but showing that there can be functionally >16 players should be the first order of business. Theory is great, and is the foundation for practical application, but once the theory has been shown to support it, until a first use case is established the discussion about "more than 16 players" is irrelevant. Samuco went into great detail about the issues and problems he encountered when adding another player, and I don't recall him proceeding with the line of inquiry/development as he considered those issues either insurmountable or perceived the end result to be a bad ratio of cost:reward.

TL;DR: of course it's possible to get >16 players into a halo server. But no one has successfully demonstrated that additional players can be added functionally (client with full control for player # 17+), so that becomes the next hurdle before discussion is really necessary.

No. Read message 13 more closely this time. Everything you've stated here is both incorrect and serving to troll this thread. If you do not want to discuss the question presented in this thread's subject line, within this "discussion" forum, then do not reply to this thread. Simple. Everything else you want to say is derailing to the thread topic, since you do not actually want to participate in the discussion. You are trolling here, and making the same demand that fatpanda made, to which I replied in message 13, the message to which I refer you once again, so that you will see clearly how I have stated that demands and expectations are unwarranted. If you are inclined to make demands of a proof-of-concept, make them of yourself: if you want it done, do it yourself. But if you don't care, why are you setting the expectation of myself and others?

And honestly, although Samuco may have posted a thread somewhere with some conclusions, from what he discussed with me and 002 on HaloMD chat, where you were not present, there were prior discussions between us of which you are unaware. So you are not fully informed, so do not argue with me about what someone else did or did not say or did or did not do, at all. Presenting such an uninformed argument in an attempt to discredit me and derail this thread is both shallow and makes you look very bad. I'm sure you don't want to look this way.

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: Dec 15, 2015 03:11 PM    Msg. 20 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Quote: --- Original message by: NeX

No. Read message 13 more closely this time. Everything you've stated here is both incorrect and serving to troll this thread. If you do not want to discuss the question presented in this thread's subject line, within this "discussion" forum, then do not reply to this thread. Simple. Everything else you want to say is derailing to the thread topic, since you do not actually want to participate in the discussion. You are trolling here, and making the same demand that fatpanda made, to which I replied in message 13, the message to which I refer you once again, so that you will see clearly how I have stated that demands and expectations are unwarranted. If you are inclined to make demands of a proof-of-concept, make them of yourself: if you want it done, do it yourself. But if you don't care, why are you setting the expectation of myself and others?

And honestly, although Samuco may have posted a thread somewhere with some conclusions, from what he discussed with me and 002 on HaloMD chat, where you were not present, there were prior discussions between us of which you are unaware. So you are not fully informed, so do not argue with me about what someone else did or did not say or did or did not do, at all. Presenting such an uninformed argument in an attempt to discredit me and derail this thread is both shallow and makes you look very bad. I'm sure you don't want to look this way.

While I can see where you're coming from in regards to the ability to discuss theories for additional features and the like, I must say that this community is cursed with a large amount of over-ambitious individuals that are all talk and no walk. So I also understand his skepticism considering there is no working proof-of-concept.

And besides, technical theories and such belong in the Technical / Map Design section. Threads like this in the General Discussion section rarely stick around for long and are often overrun by people asking for updates.

sparky

Posted: Dec 15, 2015 03:17 PM    Msg. 21 of 26       
I'm not a fool, though. I'm not someone who thinks it's a good idea to spend an extensive amount of effort and time in an attempt to do something without even discussing it with the people for whom I would be doing it.

If NeX thinks that's a good idea, he can go ahead and spend years of hard work on a program for me to use. I'd be all too happy to say, "Sorry, I didn't want that. Why didn't you ask me first?" At which point, everyone in witness will snicker and think him a fool. I mean, this is the whole thrust of the argument to "do it before discussing it".

sparky

Posted: Dec 15, 2015 05:28 PM    Msg. 22 of 26       
I am a musician. From an early age, I learned to work hard and not expect instant gratification. If you were a musician, you would understand exactly what I am talking about and that understanding would put an end to this argument once and for all. As I do not expect fast results from myself, but continue to work at a pace that is appropriate according to my understanding, so you also should not expect fast results from me. This you would understand as a musician.

I am not here to play games! But those who insist I do so will only hurt themselves.
Edited by sparky on Dec 15, 2015 at 05:30 PM

NeX

Posted: Dec 16, 2015 02:52 PM    Msg. 23 of 26       
I didn't even imply in my response that you had to post a proof of concept - just that one should be seen so that discussion isn't wasted. Everything else you said was just extrapolation on something I didn't say.

Your pedantic attitude is as ever, refreshing.

Although I did roll my eyes hard enough to get a headache

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Dec 16, 2015 03:01 PM    Msg. 24 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sparky

What would Halo be like with 100 players?

It would be a different game.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Dec 17, 2015 06:25 AM    Msg. 25 of 26       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Quote: --- Original message by: Sparky

What would Halo be like with 100 players?

It would be a different game.

10/10 feedback.

Caesar

Posted: Dec 17, 2015 09:07 PM    Msg. 26 of 26       
U need source code to do this.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue September 17, 2019 4:07 PM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website