A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Projectile/Collision model question

Author Topic: Projectile/Collision model question (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Temptii

Posted: Dec 15, 2015 02:26 PM    Msg. 1 of 5       
So I'm making a little chain-link fence and I wanted bullets to be able to go through it but not people. Is there a way to do this? I also wanted a way to prevent grenades from going through it but as far as the game cares, the grenade is a projectile just like any other bullet (right?).

I thought I would make a collision model of a wall with a bunch of holes in it so some bullets will get through and grenades will most likely not get through, but it adds a lot of polys and will affect game performance (right?).

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: Dec 15, 2015 08:04 PM    Msg. 2 of 5       
This can be accomplished through the tag information. For example, give the fence a material that has bullets pass through but everything else not. That would be under the .damage_effect tag for the bullet(s) in question -- just have them always set to pass through the material you specify. You'll have to adjust the "Material Responses" (in the .projectile tags) for each projectile you want to have penetrate the unique material you choose, such as "force field" or "engineer force field" or "ice" if your map doesn't have any ice really -- some unique material you can adjust to behave this way.

Otherwise, just use a semi-transparent shader and bitmap with an alpha channel.
Edited by sparky on Dec 15, 2015 at 08:05 PM
Edited by sparky on Dec 15, 2015 at 08:06 PM

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Dec 15, 2015 08:09 PM    Msg. 3 of 5       
the fence is part of the bsp or scenery ?

Tucker933

Tucker933.com

Posted: Dec 16, 2015 12:49 AM    Msg. 4 of 5       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
...under the .damage_effect tag for the bullet(s) in question.

There's no reason to edit damage tags for this; just the material responses for each projectile. What you're referring to in the damage tags are just modifiers for health damage dealt to specific materials, nothing more. Over-penetration is only handled in projectile tags.

Also, as I believe Kinnet was getting at, projectiles cannot over-penetrate BSP, so make sure you're using a scenery item.
Edited by Tucker933 on Dec 16, 2015 at 12:50 AM

Temptii

Posted: Dec 16, 2015 03:40 AM    Msg. 5 of 5       
Yes, it is a scenery item. It sounds like a pain having to change all the projectiles, but I guess it'll have to do. Thanks all

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun January 19, 2020 5:37 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website