A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Trouble exporting .map with Adjutant for use with animation

Author Topic: Trouble exporting .map with Adjutant for use with animation (28 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

eksby

Posted: Jan 3, 2016 09:42 AM    Msg. 1 of 28       
Hi all, I'm a novice animator who would like to use some of the Halo maps and props for animating. Here are some things I've animated so far.

I would especially like to use the Halo maps, but have been currently unsuccessful in getting a hold of them. I've downloaded eldorado purely for the maps but an error, "Error loading mapname.map! File is invalid, unsupported, or in use." pops up when I try to open any of their .map files in the "maps" directory. I've downloaded the latest Adjutant, if that helps.

Also, somewhat related but is it possible to export Halo maps into SFM? Google hasn't been too much help with that, but I get the feeling it hasn't been done yet because it's not possible (?). The next best thing if I can't use the maps is to be able to use Halo assets such as walls, buildings, trees, etc, but I am having a bit of trouble finding where those are located in the eldorado files.

Any help would be appreciated!
Edited by eksby on Jan 3, 2016 at 09:42 AM
Edited by eksby on Jan 3, 2016 at 09:43 AM

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Jan 3, 2016 09:52 AM    Msg. 2 of 28       
Adjutant doesn't work with ED. It works with xbox360 halo games only.

eksby

Posted: Jan 3, 2016 01:52 PM    Msg. 3 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
Adjutant doesn't work with ED. It works with xbox360 halo games only.

Oh. So, if I don't have an xbox 360 then I'm just out of luck then? Or can I buy the xbox360 games and pop them into the computer to get the iso (?) to get the maps/models?

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Jan 3, 2016 03:21 PM    Msg. 4 of 28       
You can just download the maps. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give you download links in this forum though.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jan 3, 2016 05:16 PM    Msg. 5 of 28       
First of all, hi, your animations are actually pretty solid from the two works you've shown. The flowing and poses look rather nice and have a real sense of weight about them.

To answer you, Adjutant only works with maps from the Xbox, specifically from Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Reach, and Halo 4. The actual .map files won't really help you unless you know what you're doing with the program (judging from the fact that you tried to open Halo Online maps i'll assume you don't exactly know what you're doing).

It IS possible to export the maps from Halo into SFM, and ideally its not hard either. However the issue is in understanding how to export into source, which is why you don't see a whole ton of big maps from halo in GMOD or SFM (though some are there, such as Beaver Creek and Elongation). For those purposes, I'd suggest you look at the facepunch forums and figure out how to work custom map importing.

Past all that, I'd say good luck. We can help you with navigating the program itself (There is an adjutant thread you can take a look at) but not with the technical aspects for getting it to SFM.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jan 3, 2016 05:20 PM    Msg. 6 of 28       
Just wanna pop in and say those animations look solid
*thumbs up*
Slinks back into hole

eksby

Posted: Jan 3, 2016 06:24 PM    Msg. 7 of 28       
@altis94
Oh, you can just download them? Hm...if possible could you give me some hints as to what keywords to use in google? Because I've searched for probably six hours and I haven't been able to find any (maybe I'm just bad at google) haha..

@R93_Sniper
Yeah...I guess I kind of don't know what I'm doing. I thought I understood it sort of but guess not whoops. So uh, what's the difference between Halo Online maps and Halo...normal maps?

To be honest, I have no idea where to start learning; from what I read around, to start off with you need to get the Halo 3 iso/.xex, which you can only get from physically modifying an xbox360 so that you can extract that (?). And then you can use Adjutant on the .xex to open up the files to export to 3DS Max (?).

But that's good to know that it is possible to port into SFM...I'll take a look at Facepunch then. I guess the biggest hurdle right now is, if the .maps in eldorado aren't actually ...maps (??) then I have no maps to try to work with (???).

I may or may not be understanding this completely wrong haha...oh boy.

@Spartan314
Thanks, I kind of want to do a larger fight scene, which is why I've been trying to get some Halo maps in SFM. TF2 maps look too cartoony at times, or else I'd just use those.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jan 3, 2016 07:37 PM    Msg. 8 of 28       
Halo Online maps use the MCC version of the maps, which currently nobody has decoded or really understands as well. The Dewrito guys have some idea of it but quite frankly the only map in the entirety of Halo Online that you cant get in any other halo game is Edge, and that thing is a mess all around. The other maps are either straight H3 maps or slightly modified (Diamondback is Avalanche with desert textures, Icebox is Turf on ice and slightly higher res, etc).

When you extract files with Adjutant, be sure to extract as AMF format. This is the most recent and most supported format. Adjutant also has an AMF Importer Tool for 3DS Max. I personally use it on 3DS Max 2012, but it was made for 3DS Max 2013 and will work best there. Past that, just look at the help files for Adjutant and you should be set.

eksby

Posted: Jan 3, 2016 09:16 PM    Msg. 9 of 28       
I'm curious, what does MCC stand for and why do they use a different version for Halo Online? And if I'm understanding correctly, custom maps that you can make in the forge also count as Halo Online maps (maybe)?

Okay gotcha, extract as AMF. I took a look at some of those videos for using Adjutant, will try it out and report back if I'm having any issues.

Thanks again for the help!

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jan 3, 2016 09:35 PM    Msg. 10 of 28       
MCC as in Master Chief Collection, the Xbox One exclusive title. They used the different version probably because newer hardware and console limits can be bypassed on PC. Optimization is probably there, too.

Roushyy

Character animator.

Posted: Jan 3, 2016 11:17 PM    Msg. 11 of 28       
here is the great library of XboxDB.

To login to the FTP, use publicftp as the username and password as the password.

Grab any and all maps you want. Some of them use internal names, so you'll have to find a list of what maps they really are. (Or you could ask me, I've got an extensive Google Fu skillset)

Hope you can get what you need.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 01:36 AM    Msg. 12 of 28       
that site's been broken for god knows how long.

MatthewDratt

Newly redesigned MattDratt.com

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 01:57 AM    Msg. 13 of 28       
Its working for me

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 11:01 AM    Msg. 14 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
that site's been broken for god knows how long.

It pops back up now and then.

eksby

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 11:10 PM    Msg. 15 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: SupaTrolol

To login to the FTP, use publicftp as the username and password as the password.

Grab any and all maps you want. Some of them use internal names, so you'll have to find a list of what maps they really are. (Or you could ask me, I've got an extensive Google Fu skillset)

Oh awesome, thanks a ton!

Halonimator

https://imgur.com/ZBjOJ4L

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 11:44 PM    Msg. 16 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: eksby
Quote: --- Original message by: SupaTrolol

Oh awesome, thanks a ton!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G7tEkwJcJ8

eksby

Posted: Jan 11, 2016 12:26 AM    Msg. 17 of 28       
.......This took too long to write so when I hit post the website already logged me out here's a simplified version because argh

Been messing around with 3DS Max, tried to load up Halo 3 map shrine.map, tried to google a lot of things but am having trouble finding answers.

Questions:
1. How would one fix the non-textured white spots?

2. Is the sand supposed to look like that? It's all patchy and not much like in game?

3. How do shaders work, and do I need to put in shaders/lights (??? could be using this term very incorrectly) in order to make the map not so dark/look more like in game? If so, are there any tutorials you would recommend and/or keywords to use for google?

4. What does "Import Normals" and "Unwrap UVW" do?

5. Was thinking that maybe it'd be a lot easier to just animate in 3DS Max directly instead of porting to SFM, I found the masterchief model (in render_model) but I haven't tried to extract that yet. Are there any recommended tutorials for rigging Halo models or would trying to rig it via the CAT thing that 3DS Max has work?

Lots of things probably going over my head right now (feeling a bit overwhelmed tbh haha), but I'm determined to learn this stuff. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 11, 2016 05:46 AM    Msg. 18 of 28       
.......This took too long to write so when I hit post the website already logged me out here's a simplified version because argh

Every 3 minutes copy what you have and save it into a notepad document. If you are not active over the course of 5 minutes or so on the website it logs you out.

1. I could be wrong but it seems all you need to do is up the tiling on the bitmap to reduce the white spots.

2. Again I could be wrong I am not 100% versed with H3's tech but since H3 is essentially HCE on steroids, my guess is that the patchiness could either be lightmap data or just a texture without a detail map applied. (detail maps are applied to textures in order to increase detail when the players render view is up close on a textured surface)

3. The overall darkness can be attributed to 2 or more things:

a) You have textures missing (objects which are completely black )
b) Disable your Gamma and Look Up table. (customize > preferences > Gamma&LUT)
c) Brighten up your scene by hitting "8" on your keyboard & change the ambient colour to pure white.

4. Normals determine the effect of light on the surface of a polygon, without them organic shapes such as spheres, cylinders & teapots would all look faceted and ugly.

Put simply they can either make surfaces look smooth or hard by manipulating the light which they receive without adding or removing geometry which is very advantageous within the film&game realm. A good example of this would be smoothing groups which allow you to manually edit how your model interprets light by assigning different smooth groups to the surfaces of your model.

5. Unwrap UVW refers to 2d co-ordinates situated on a 3d model in order for textures to appear correctly minus distortion. Without the Unwrap your textures would not display correctly.

6. Maya is the primary go to for rigging and animating however 3dsmax is just as competent, there are many tutorials around the web however non which are directly linked to what you wish to do, instead I recommend researching everything you possible can on the subject topic of rigging within max and apply the techniques you have learned to your unique situation.

This is how we do it directly for halo's blam enjin:(#bestenjin)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrx_17XfxF0

Edited by Super Flanker on Jan 11, 2016 at 05:51 AM

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Jan 11, 2016 05:16 PM    Msg. 19 of 28       

Been messing around with 3DS Max, tried to load up Halo 3 map shrine.map, tried to google a lot of things but am having trouble finding answers.

Questions:
http://i.imgur.com/ARz254Z.jpg

2. Is the sand supposed to look like that? It's all patchy and not much like in game?
http://i.imgur.com/a21J8xr.png

3. How do shaders work, and do I need to put in shaders/lights (??? could be using this term very incorrectly) in order to make the map not so dark/look more like in game? If so, are there any tutorials you would recommend and/or keywords to use for google?

http://i.imgur.com/AdXeYY0.png

5. Was thinking that maybe it'd be a lot easier to just animate in 3DS Max directly instead of porting to SFM, I found the masterchief model (in render_model) but I haven't tried to extract that yet. Are there any recommended tutorials for rigging Halo models or would trying to rig it via the CAT thing that 3DS Max has work?

Lots of things probably going over my head right now (feeling a bit overwhelmed tbh haha), but I'm determined to learn this stuff. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Supes Flanks covered most everything, but I think I can shed some insight as well.

You're white bits, do they have a texture applied?

The patchiness appears to be due to a lack of unwrapping (my best guess)

Supes Flanks pretty much covered your darkness issue, but there are some properties in the material dialogue you can play around with. Can't remember them off hand, someone else can probably explain better anyway, I'm not well known for texturing things.

Since I don't like Supes Flanks description of UVW Unwrapping and how all that works, I'm giving a better one. I mean, he's not wrong, but still.
Think of your model as a piece of clothing. Clothing is three dimensional right? But it's made from a flat bolt of fabric. The seams and the placement of them is what makes it 3d. Perhaps a better thought would be if you have ever made paper models. Anyway, UVW Unwrapping is how your model is Unwrapped or "flattened" back into a bolt, or a sheet of paper.

Maya is absolutely not the goto for animation you buffoon, it's for film work. 3ds Max is designed around game design. Each Autodesk program has a specific program, and that is what they work best for. They do work fine doing other tasks, I will say that, but one wouldn't typically use AutoCAD Architecture for level design. Actually... That's worth a shot...

Anyway, Halo:CE is mainly geared to use 3ds Max, and since you seem to have some skill in 3ds Max, I would go ahead and focus on that. I say, completely ignoring the fact you're trying to put stuff into SFM

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 13, 2016 06:28 AM    Msg. 20 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925

Questions:
http://i.imgur.com/ARz254Z.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/a21J8xr.png

http://i.imgur.com/AdXeYY0.png

Supes Flanks covered most everything, but I think I can shed some insight as well.

You're white bits, do they have a texture applied?

The patchiness appears to be due to a lack of unwrapping (my best guess)

Supes Flanks pretty much covered your darkness issue, but there are some properties in the material dialogue you can play around with. Can't remember them off hand, someone else can probably explain better anyway, I'm not well known for texturing things.

Since I don't like Supes Flanks description of UVW Unwrapping and how all that works, I'm giving a better one. I mean, he's not wrong, but still.
Think of your model as a piece of clothing. Clothing is three dimensional right? But it's made from a flat bolt of fabric. The seams and the placement of them is what makes it 3d. Perhaps a better thought would be if you have ever made paper models. Anyway, UVW Unwrapping is how your model is Unwrapped or "flattened" back into a bolt, or a sheet of paper.

Maya is absolutely not the goto for animation you buffoon, it's for film work. 3ds Max is designed around game design. Each Autodesk program has a specific program, and that is what they work best for. They do work fine doing other tasks, I will say that, but one wouldn't typically use AutoCAD Architecture for level design. Actually... That's worth a shot...

Anyway, Halo:CE is mainly geared to use 3ds Max, and since you seem to have some skill in 3ds Max, I would go ahead and focus on that. I say, completely ignoring the fact you're trying to put stuff into SFM

Y did bungie use maya for reach then???

Mootjuh

Hilariously derailing oneliner

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 01:06 PM    Msg. 21 of 28       
Whoever said AutoCAD is bad for level design. I'm laughing. It's an amazing tool once you get the hang of it.

Skidrow925

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 01:08 PM    Msg. 22 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
Whoever said AutoCAD is bad for level design. I'm laughing. It's an amazing tool once you get the hang of it.

I've not actually tried it yet, but I suppose I may later. I can see how having the level of control it has would help detailing stuff. I think I'll give it a shot at some point.

AutoCAD is just sort of universally hated though, at least with all the University students I know, and a couple professionals, myself included. Inventor is much nicer for actual CAD work.

MatthewDratt

Newly redesigned MattDratt.com

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 01:13 PM    Msg. 23 of 28       
AutoCAD would be better for level design then Inventor imo. I just see Inventor better for working with a single object.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 01:14 PM    Msg. 24 of 28       
I was so impatient to ask if my assistance was indeed helpful that I accidentally contracted both of the users above for a bump (not dratt). The result which you can probably discern for your self is a double bump.

This is far too embarrassing for me to articulate in an appreciable manner but I must know if anything I contributed was indeed helpful or not.
Edited by Super Flanker on Jan 15, 2016 at 01:14 PM

Mootjuh

Hilariously derailing oneliner

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 01:16 PM    Msg. 25 of 28       

I've not actually tried it yet, but I suppose I may later. I can see how having the level of control it has would help detailing stuff. I think I'll give it a shot at some point.

AutoCAD is just sort of universally hated though, at least with all the University students I know, and a couple professionals, myself included. Inventor is much nicer for actual CAD work.

Here in Holland AutoCAD is used for building actual cities and whatever. It goes down to the tiniest detail like markings on the road. You can easily add comments and have it plot out in A0 and hang it up for in your studio or whatever you want. I constantly see people walking around with drawings half their size.
Edited by Mootjuh on Jan 15, 2016 at 01:20 PM

Skidrow925

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 01:24 PM    Msg. 26 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
AutoCAD would be better for level design then Inventor imo. I just see Inventor better for working with a single object.

Here in Holland AutoCAD is used for building actual cities and whatever. It goes down to the tiniest detail like markings on the road. You can easily add comments and have it plot out in A0 and hang it up for in your studio or whatever you want. I constantly see people walking around with drawings half their size.
Edited by Mootjuh on Jan 15, 2016 at 01:20 PM

What I meant is that Inventor is very nice for design of, say, robots (my application) because you work in three dimensions, but when you do layouts, you just drag and drop the views you want and dimension them and you are done. For city planning, AutoCAD probably works better just because city's are multiple layers of 2d stuff if that makes sense. For example, I use architecture instead of inventor to draw up houses because I don't need the extra dimension.

Ambrus

Posted: May 31, 2018 11:27 AM    Msg. 27 of 28       
Hi. U R a really good animator. but i need your help. How can i change the secondory color on that models?

Skidrow925

Posted: May 31, 2018 12:20 PM    Msg. 28 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ambrus
Hi. U R a really good animator. but i need your help. How can i change the secondory color on that models?
r u a wizrd

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue July 17, 2018 3:43 PM 312 ms.
A Halo Maps Website