A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »|~| Sparky's Variegated Thread

Page 1 of 6 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · Next
Author Topic: |~| Sparky's Variegated Thread (207 messages, Page 1 of 6)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 12:21 AM    Msg. 1 of 207       
Greetings.

In the past, I have scattered various plans and discussions around. Henceforth, I will use this thread instead.

Given the lack of double-posting at this forum, edits will ensue, so you may wish to check back at your leisure.

---

Frequently-Asked Questions

Q: Didn't you quit or leave already?
A: Yes. Most recently, I left for a month (December 15, 2015 to January 14, 2016) which constituted a very permanent disjunction that persists and has ensued from my great distaste for having been insulted many times by various users of this forum. In fact, I am technically ostracized or banned from every Halo community forum / discussion board on The Internet that I have used to any extent. That's one way to make sure I don't waste my time!

Q: How are your projects coming along?
A: You will need to ask me about a specific project in this thread if you want information about what I am doing.

Q: What will happen to all your other threads at Halo Maps Forum?
A: As you may have noticed, I deleted all of my posts from the beginning and up to a certain date. I do keep backups. I am not the owner of this web site, so I have no organization or moderation capabilities here. Feel free to ignore the other threads I posted and we can start afresh with this thread.

Q: Sparky, you are mad. What is going on in your head?
A: All you need to understand about me as it pertains to you is that I am always thinking ahead and planning bigger and better goals. Whether you feel compelled to entertain my goals is your prerogative, but note that they are designed for you.

Q: Sparky, I greatly dislike you and disagree with some or all of what you post on The Internet. Why won't you just leave me alone and leave me to my devices?
A: Quite the exasperated statement! While I am not required to please you, I do know to go to great efforts to avoid offending people. I apologize for offending you. Not everything that I say can be accepted by everyone who hears it; and this speaks not directly to its merits without casting judgement upon a person, so my recommendation is that if you dislike me, leave me alone, and if you disagree with some or all of what I say or post on The Internet, instead of arguing about it, present a concise point supported by reason and I, being a reasonable human being, will consider it to my capacities, leaving you free to choose to also leave the matter alone, if you like.

---

Projects
These are some of my projects that I think you might find interesting.

I have elaborated upon these in past threads, but if you ask about a specific project, I will try to oblige with a nice response.

Completed
I have done things. Here are some things I have done which I am not working on anymore, specifically.

• Plug-ins for Altimit01's Eschaton program

• Various experimental versions of Zeus

In Progress
I continue to do things. Here are some things I am doing.

Future
I do have plans for the future, mostly building upon my previous work. Many of these will not be realized, or at least not realized by me. Others are slated similarly to the "in progress" category.

• A consolidated reference...

---

Thread Updates

- Added link to in-progress Zeus Retribution Library. The last time I worked on that was December 7, 2015. It is not a finished product.
- Added link to Apache module demo file in the INCY Online.
- Added link to INCY Online base web directory.
Edited by sparky on Jan 19, 2016 at 02:26 PM

MatthewDratt

Support Higuy https://t.co/9mIC7v3J5j

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 12:24 AM    Msg. 2 of 207       
Why did you do an interview with yourself?

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 12:41 AM    Msg. 3 of 207       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sparky
A: Yes. Most recently, I left for a month (December 15, 2015 to January 14, 2016) which constituted a very permanent disjunction that persists and has ensued from my great distaste for having been insulted many times by various users of this forum. In fact, I am technically ostracized or banned from every Halo community forum / discussion board on The Internet that I have used to any extent. That's one way to make sure I don't waste my time!

Q: What makes you think this time will be different?
A: It won't.

ThatGuyWhoLikesCats

"If God is love, then you can call me Cupid"

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 03:26 AM    Msg. 4 of 207       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Greetings.

In the past, I have scattered various plans and discussions around. Henceforth, I will use this thread instead.

Given the lack of double-posting at this forum, edits will ensue, so you may wish to check back at your leisure.

---

Q: How are your projects coming along?
A: You will need to ask me about a specific project in this thread if you want information about what I am doing.

A: As you may have noticed, I deleted all of my posts from the beginning and up to a certain date. I do keep backups. I am not the owner of this web site, so I have no organization or moderation capabilities here. Feel free to ignore the other threads I posted and we can start afresh with this thread.

A: All you need to understand about me as it pertains to you is that I am always thinking ahead and planning bigger and better goals. Whether you feel compelled to entertain my goals is your prerogative, but note that they are designed for you.

Q: Sparky, I greatly dislike you and disagree with some or all of what you post on The Internet. Why won't you just leave me alone and leave me to my devices?
A: Quite the exasperated statement! While I am not required to please you, I do know to go to great efforts to avoid offending people. I apologize for offending you. Not everything that I say can be accepted by everyone who hears it; and this speaks not directly to its merits without casting judgement upon a person, so my recommendation is that if you dislike me, leave me alone, and if you disagree with some or all of what I say or post on The Internet, instead of arguing about it, present a concise point supported by reason and I, being a reasonable human being, will consider it to my capacities, leaving you free to choose to also leave the matter alone, if you like.

---

Projects
These are some of my projects that I think you might find interesting.

I have elaborated upon these in past threads, but if you ask about a specific project, I will try to oblige with a nice response.

Completed
I have done things. Here are some things I have done which I am not working on anymore, specifically.

• Plug-ins for Altimit01's Eschaton program

• Various experimental versions of Zeus

In Progress
I continue to do things. Here are some things I am doing.

• Zeus, Zeus Relay Server

• Incyclopedia (INCY Online)

• Apache module for presenting data from Halo file formats

Future
I do have plans for the future, mostly building upon my previous work. Many of these will not be realized, or at least not realized by me. Others are slated similarly to the "in progress" category.

• A consolidated reference...

---

Please do not cease this, everything about you is pure comedic genius.

Corpen

Sierra 612 - DINC - "Why are we here?"

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 04:09 AM    Msg. 5 of 207       
Why do you all sling abuse at him when all he try's to do is help and improve.

ThatGuyWhoLikesCats

"If God is love, then you can call me Cupid"

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 05:42 AM    Msg. 6 of 207       
Quote: --- Original message by: Corpen
Why do you all sling abuse at him when all he try's to do is help and improve.

He trys way too hard to incorporate things into Halo that are simply impossible. We don't necessary "abuse" him, if you ask me he simply takes everything said about him and his projects at face value and takes everything people say too seriously.

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 07:21 AM    Msg. 7 of 207       
Actually something could would be a tool that could merge automatically tags widgets in order to be able to work on separate parts of, for example a BSP or a scenario. EG someone places grass on a BSP while the other makes population. and there is a thing to simply add the grass placement on the other BSP

sparky

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 10:41 AM    Msg. 8 of 207       
I am working on making backups of information, so that I can study the collective knowledge and contributions of people from this and other Halo web sites and provide a singular point for everything you would want to know about the Halo 1 games. I don't know what kind of format to give it, but I am inclined to make a brand new format like I did with my blog that I shared earlier.

Temporarily, this is the link to the Halo CE and HEK Starter Kit. I am in the process of downloading a lot of files from different Halo web sites, for archival and mirroring purposes, but mostly so that I can study the files and use them in projects designed to consolidate information such as INCY. Temporarily, here are the links to the current Halo web site mirrors: Blam! Depot, XboxDB.com and others, and HaloCE3, and Halo Mini Demo files and application versions. Many of those linked files are not updated, but I plan to have updated links when I finish with my other archives.

I plan to have a single, consolidated web site that provides all the Halo-related files that people have shared from various Halo web sites, including programs, map files, tags, sounds, and useful or notable images, and a definitive reference for how-to's and essays. Inclusive will be download directories like the current Halo CE and HEK Start Kit directory listing.

This is to provide a concise location for sharing files and information about Halo, especially esoteric things like how to use the HEK.

If there is any specific information or a specific resource that you would like to nominate for inclusion, please mention it. This means mostly images like screenshots or tutorial or demo videos and images and recordings, since I do not know about everything here and elsewhere. If you post a helpful image here, like that one about why you get BSP compilation errors like red open edges, or a link to a helpful YouTube video, I'd be happy to reference it with the collection.

343 Guilty Sparky is about to gather a load of information and relish in its categorization.
Edited by sparky on Jan 15, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 10:41 AM    Msg. 9 of 207       
Hey you used my thread idea!

Suing you as we speak

NeX

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 10:45 AM    Msg. 10 of 207       
I give it a month. Hopefully less

sparky

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 11:00 AM    Msg. 11 of 207       
I'll also be including information that I learned from reading The Black Art of Halo Mods by Stephen Cawood. I also have the Halo Encyclopedia and other references pertaining to the game. I will be including information from them also. I suppose you could say that the goal of this project is to supersede and surpass whatever Halo wikis have done like Halo Nation on Wikia, and to organize and professionally present the collective knowledge of the members of Halo Maps and other Halo web sites.

I will include data such as:

- Source code that I have written and that others may have published or contributed for inclusion.
- Philosophical essays regarding lore, technicalities, and prospects
- Walkthroughs for related programming techniques, the use of existing programs such as Eschaton and HMT, ...etc.
Edited by sparky on Jan 15, 2016 at 11:04 AM

My first attempt at this was the Halo Index: http://halo.galaxyverge.com/index/
Edited by sparky on Jan 15, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 11:09 AM    Msg. 12 of 207       

I'll also be including information that I learned from reading The Black Art of Halo Mods by Stephen Cawood. I also have the Halo Encyclopedia and other references pertaining to the game. I will be including information from them also. I suppose you could say that the goal of this project is to supersede and surpass whatever Halo wikis have done like Halo Nation on Wikia, and to organize and professionally present the collective knowledge of the members of Halo Maps and other Halo web sites.

I will include data such as:

- Source code that I have written and that others may have published or contributed for inclusion.
- Philosophical essays regarding lore, technicalities, and prospects
- Walkthroughs for related programming techniques, the use of existing programs such as Eschaton and HMT, ...etc.
Edited by sparky on Jan 15, 2016 at 11:04 AM

My first attempt at this was the Halo Index: http://halo.galaxyverge.com/index/
Edited by sparky on Jan 15, 2016 at 11:05 AM

I requested you a year ago for more information on TBHMD and you respectfully declined. I'd like to know why you have changed your stance.

(I'm not bitter just partially curious and a little bitter.)

sparky

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 11:22 AM    Msg. 13 of 207       
As I mentioned in the FAQ, I do not really change my stance on things, I simply wait for the right moment and develop those plans along the way. You'll see what I mean when I start adding the information. Now is the time of information gathering. Then will be the time of information analysis. After that will be the time of information sharing.

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 11:30 AM    Msg. 14 of 207       
Quote: --- Original message by: NeX
I give it a month. Hopefully less

souds about right, but I wouldn't even do a month.

sparky

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 11:40 AM    Msg. 15 of 207       
First category is BSP creation issues regarding Tool errors, so-to-speak, like open edges and degenerate triangles.

Post links and images please.

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=48843

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=48590

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=47646

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 12:04 PM    Msg. 16 of 207       
As I mentioned in the FAQ, I do not really change my stance on things, I simply wait for the right moment and develop those plans along the way. You'll see what I mean when I start adding the information. Now is the time of information gathering. Then will be the time of information analysis. After that will be the time of information sharing.

Well at the current date you did seem very clear that you did not have the sufficient time in order to pick up on my request in relevance to The Black Arts Of Halo Mods.

But what-ever that was the past and this is....well for lack of a better term "the now".

I'm not going to hold my hopes up too high for you sparky, seeing as you seem to drop in and out of halo maps once the immature hate reaches "2much". But I do have faith in your abilities, let's hope you find the time and patience to uphold your words.

First category is BSP creation issues regarding Tool errors, so-to-speak, like open edges and degenerate triangles.

Post links and images please.

http://s1.postimg.org/9meojr7of/bsperrors.jpg

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=48843

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=48590

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=47646

In regards to this /\ I personally see no merit in discussing the do's and do not's pertaining to bsp errors.

This is partially because although errors as such can be an outright pain they (ultimately) are very easy to fix assuming that you are not impatient enough to perform a fairly standard google search.

I'd also like to highlight that in each one of the threads you have linked us to I have contributed to such an extent that it makes posting those links in the hope of furthering a debate among the topic of "debugging bsp related tool errors" almost redundant.

But this is your thread and It is not my place to tell you what and what not to post, that's dennis's jawb.
Edited by Super Flanker on Jan 15, 2016 at 12:08 PM

sparky

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 12:23 PM    Msg. 17 of 207       
I understand all of this already, but I am hoping that you will contribute information based upon your own standards. Do you understand what I am saying here? I recognize your contributions and value them, and I would like you to contribute further.

Debate, as far as discussion and presentation of ideas, is not the overall purpose of this project. Rather, it is the gathering of information, the studying of that information, the consolidation of files and ideas and information, and the presentation of all of these things in an easy-to-use online resource. Discussions belong in a message board setup like this one here at Halo Maps Forum, whereas the structured presentation of information and files would go into this project, which for now remains a large collection of what people find valuable based upon ideas, usefulness, helpfulness, and informativeness.

Basically, I'm collecting tutorials, reviewing their information, summarizing them, and presenting a consolidated version based upon my research. Consider this a scholarly research project on the Halo game. I request contributions be what people find useful and valuable among tutorials, images, and the various things people have shared regarding this game on The Internet.

I currently have 3400 of the 6450 files from Halo Maps' archives for Halo CE files. I plan to finish this soon, although I'll be out the next few days. There were two broken file links from the H2V files, but I have the others already; I sent Dennis a PM about these two files and am waiting for him to correct the links when he has the time to do that. I plan to archive files from other sites and their pages.

If there are any programs that you want archived, like 002's Death Star program, or Modzy's Pearl program, or Altimit01's Eschaton program, or anything you have been working on, like the current or past versions of Open Sauce, you should post download links in this thread or they may not be included. You do not need to be the author of said programs in order to include them, or at least mention them so others can find them off of their hard drives or the Internet.
Edited by sparky on Jan 15, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 12:40 PM    Msg. 18 of 207       
I understand all of this already, but I am hoping that you will contribute information based upon your own standards. Do you understand what I am saying here? I recognize your contributions and value them, and I would like you to contribute further.

Debate, as far as discussion and presentation of ideas, is not the overall purpose of this project. Rather, it is the gathering of information, the studying of that information, the consolidation of files and ideas and information, and the presentation of all of these things in an easy-to-use online resource. Discussions belong in a message board setup like this one here at Halo Maps Forum, whereas the structured presentation of information and files would go into this project, which for now remains a large collection of what people find valuable based upon ideas, usefulness, helpfulness, and informativeness.

Basically, I'm collecting tutorials, reviewing their information, summarizing them, and presenting a consolidated version based upon my research. Consider this a scholarly research project on the Halo game. I request contributions be what people find useful and valuable among tutorials, images, and the various things people have shared regarding this game on The Internet.

Well I must admit this now makes more sense, however it would seem to me that such an undertaking should be a role assigned to a dedicated and highly motivated group fueled only by mountain dew and unhealthy snacks.

A single attempt at this would be utter suicide in my limited view. Although we should take into account the Master Chief and his abilities when faced with overwhelm-able foe.
(long may he rest)

I would also like to illustrate one more point: Once you have realised your dream of a "structured presentation of information and files" how do you expect them to stand out and become more prominent than the generic norm which presents it's self usually among 80% of the searches which many input into their browsing engines.

I am by no means an expert in the highly complex field of statistical analysis but I very much doubt that unless your vision has been broadcast to all of the distinguished hubs related to halo modification, your expectations will be sorely undercut.

I pray I am proven wrong but halo related themes within our arena generally only gain momentum if they are.

A) Already Popular (ce3 is a prime example)

B) Extremely Funny (SBB)

C) Utterly Awe inspiring (CMT's TSC:E)

D) Push for an official H3EK (never happen)

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 08:17 PM    Msg. 19 of 207       
This is a respectable project. We've always needed a repository for all this stuff.

PS: Good download speeds on the HEK start kit FTP
Edited by stunt_man on Jan 15, 2016 at 08:17 PM

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 10:11 PM    Msg. 20 of 207       
Quote: --- Original message by: stunt_man

This is a respectable project. We've always needed a repository for all this stuff.

PS: Good download speeds on the HEK start kit FTP

Hasn't this been done before though? I seem to recall someone tried to set up an all purpose thread with tutorials and everything, more than once probably, and they just never seemed to pan out.

NeX

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 11:18 PM    Msg. 21 of 207       

Yeah, but let's remember Sparky's propensity for being capricious.

Anyone remember the "great deletion"? Most of the informative posts he made he later edited to nothing in a fit of infantile rage.

You really want to trust this child with a repository of anything valuable?

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: Jan 16, 2016 02:13 AM    Msg. 22 of 207       
Well it can't be worse than having nothing at all. Dennis said it himself, this place isn't to be considered an archive. We're supposed to upload tutorials like good boys so he can update the front page twice a year, and we're to use the world-renowned halomaps search function to sift through the endless tomes of outdated material.

NeX

Posted: Jan 16, 2016 10:47 AM    Msg. 23 of 207       
Well it can't be worse than having nothing at all.

Until you make the toddler cry, and then it exactly the same as having nothing at all.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 16, 2016 11:02 AM    Msg. 24 of 207       

Anyone remember the "great deletion"? Most of the informative posts he made he later edited to nothing in a fit of infantile rage.

He got Dennis to do that. (I think? it's the most logical solution, I mean tbh can you imagine deleting all of your posts just because you are 'upset' with everyone on the interweb?)

Not that I am blaming Dennis of course it's just y'know sparky was like:

sprky - "hey Dennis delete all my posts pls"

denice - "are u sure"

sprky - "Ya"

denice - "k, done"

sprky - "And I'm never coming back"

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Jan 16, 2016 11:25 AM    Msg. 25 of 207       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

He got Dennis to do that. (I think? it's the most logical solution, I mean tbh can you imagine deleting all of your posts just because you are 'upset' with everyone on the interweb?)

denice - "are u sure"

sprky - "Ya"

denice - "k, done"

I don't think so. They were all "deleted" by sparky, if it was Dennis the edits would've attributed to his account.

NeX

Posted: Jan 16, 2016 12:03 PM    Msg. 26 of 207       
Quote: --- Original message by: BKTiel
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

denice - "are u sure"

sprky - "Ya"

denice - "k, done"

I don't think so. They were all "deleted" by sparky, if it was Dennis the edits would've attributed to his account.

Correct.

I think Sparky has already shown us the measure of his character - we should listen and actually take it to heart. Words, wind, vaporware...the only meaningful thing that leaps to mind are his plugins for Eschaton - which are useful. Oh and that silly web interface that just plugs in data for tool to compile sound files. Whoopee.

"Errrrr I have 70,000 lines of source code written for" - burden of proof is on you.

Years of flapping the yap, no one takes it seriously anymore. There is always a parasitic narcissist in a community, but everyone keeps spurring him on with things like "oh thats a great idea!" As if no one had ever thought of it before.

But I can do it with my magical program that completely replaces everything about the HEK and it has a server side replacement and it will enable AI and it will X Y Z!

YEC syndrome.

Jesse

Discord: Jesse#4500

Posted: Jan 16, 2016 03:20 PM    Msg. 27 of 207       
Don't forget to include Yoda's YouTube video tutorials, they are beautiful. I've been meaning to download them for some time now.

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Jan 16, 2016 03:26 PM    Msg. 28 of 207       
Yes, watch them you must.

sparky

Posted: Jan 19, 2016 01:31 PM    Msg. 29 of 207       
I have 4,000 of the 6,450 HCE files from Halo Maps. And counting. It is a lot of clicking on that icon! I open about 20 to 200 tabs at a time in my web browser in this pursuit, then switch tabs and click that download icon in each one.

If any of you have submitted files to the archive at hce.halomaps.org which have not yet been added to the archive, please post links to your files here so that I can include them in my own archive. The hce.halomaps.org archive has its most recent files dated March 5th, 2015, which is about 10 months ago from today. So if you want your newer submissions to be included in my archive of Halo-related files, please "submit" them into this thread also.

---

I added some links to the first post, including a publication link to the most recent version of ZRL.
Edited by sparky on Jan 19, 2016 at 02:28 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 19, 2016 05:00 PM    Msg. 30 of 207       

I have 4,000 of the 6,450 HCE files from Halo Maps. And counting. It is a lot of clicking on that http://i.imgur.com/Q2aJkpb.gif icon! I open about 20 to 200 tabs at a time in my web browser in this pursuit, then switch tabs and click that download icon in each one.

If any of you have submitted files to the archive at hce.halomaps.org which have not yet been added to the archive, please post links to your files here so that I can include them in my own archive. The hce.halomaps.org archive has its most recent files dated March 5th, 2015, which is about 10 months ago from today. So if you want your newer submissions to be included in my archive of Halo-related files, please "submit" them into this thread also.

---

I added some links to the first post, including a publication link to the most recent version of ZRL.
Edited by sparky on Jan 19, 2016 at 02:28 PM

I don't mean to be rude but who checks all of the submissions entered to your site?

Also do you accept content with hardcore cornographic themes?

sparky

Posted: Jan 19, 2016 05:53 PM    Msg. 31 of 207       
I'm up to 5,000 of the files. I estimate 100 GB total compressed data of hce files from the Halo Maps archive. (Dennis gave me some stats in the past, but I should find out for myself specifically when I'm done.) It's 88.29 GB at the moment.

@ Flanker
You asked about checking submissions. Right now, it's just me downloading and analyzing files. My goal right now is to get all the Halo-related files I can and prepare them. The Halo Maps files I intend to prepare as a mirror, which will hopefully alleviate some of the bandwidth off of Dennis' download servers also, although I am using plenty of bandwidth to obtain the files first.

I am also looking for links to tutorials that you want me to include and/or consider for my informational pages, which I intend to write once I have as many tutorials as I can get.

So stage 1 is download as many Halo files as I can, including programs, tutorials, tags, maps, models, and other assets and informational sources. I will be ripping entire web sites of content, but with discretion. Stage 2 is to review the tutorials and resources and write an outline of categories for the pages. Stage 3 is to write the pages.

I need help with the first stage, which is to gather information. Please post specific images, links to videos, or links to any other documents or forum posts that you think are informative about any subject regarding Halo. I'm planning to include content from Halo Nation at Wikia, this Halo Maps forum, my own forum, and some other forums where I was banned in the past. I'll be looking for and reviewing all the information that I find, categorizing and consolidating it into useful articles.

I guess you could say I'm making a Wikipedia for all things Halo, beyond what Halo Nation at Wikia or any other Halo web site details.

As for people contributing directly with files, just link the files here, uploading them to mediafire or whatever, and I'll see about using them somehow.

I am reviewing the nature of all the content, and subject matter with themes unrelated to the Halo lore would not fit. Pornographic themes are unrelated to the Halo lore, and do not serve to improve or even positively contribute to the Halo theme.

There are no real "submissions" to the site, since I plan to write all the information myself. I don't know what credit system I will use, but the web site format will probably not be or use a wiki software. I'll have to come up with the organizational details after I finish doing the bulk of the content applied to a basic categorized page.

not giraffe

dead meme

Posted: Jan 19, 2016 06:09 PM    Msg. 32 of 207       
Who is to say that you won't, I don't know, maybe restrict access to this archive on a whim? It seems fruitless to expect anything from you because one day you may just decide that we are not worthy of God's gift.

sparky

Posted: Jan 19, 2016 06:37 PM    Msg. 33 of 207       
There is still a question of my motives.

I meant for these two FAQ's to explain why I do what I do, typically, so here is a recap and elaboration.

Dennis did not delete my posts, I went back and edited-out all 1080 of my posts at the time.
I saved the web page files before I deleted them. I even have copies of my old halodemomods.com wiki database and files, back when I took that down. I keep backups of server-related things before I remove them.
I remove files from my servers, or remove information, only as part of a plan for improvement. For example, I transferred backups of my old shared hosting account's files with my web host, moved to another web hosting provider, and started afresh with a dedicated server. The files are not lost (yet), but remain among my backups. This is why I remove access to things.

I deleted my posts at this forum because I was being regularly told that I "have nothing to contribute" and "have done nothing" among other comments that my entire time at this forum has been worthless. So I archived my posts and removed them because the consensus was that I was contributing nothing to the forum. Basically, I was told repeatedly that nobody wanted to hear what I had to say, so I appropriately removed what I had said.

I am hoping that a consolidated archive and single-source reference web site will be better received by the community than my individual thread posts were here. And as I said, I have backups for my own reference, in the pursuit of this consolidation goal.

I hope that answered your concerns properly.

---

The moral of this story is, "do not say something unless you mean it." I honestly did not expect anyone to complain about my revoked posts. I expected them to notice (although it took almost a year for you guys to notice), but I expected a kind of "oh ok, well that's good then", rather than any kind of disappointment at my having removed what I wrote. I do not consider what I wrote to be of much value, and I thought the consensus was of a far lesser esteem towards my contributions.
Edited by sparky on Jan 19, 2016 at 06:47 PM

---

Quote: --- Original message by: raffgie
Who is to say that you won't, I don't know, maybe restrict access to this archive on a whim? It seems fruitless to expect anything from you because one day you may just decide that we are not worthy of God's gift.

I see in this and others' words a desire for persistence, security, reliability, and trustworthiness. We, as creatures, desire these things. But there is only one who does not change, and he is not found in this dynamic world that he uses and observes.

I cannot guarantee anything, just as Dennis cannot swear anything about what he does or his computer server hardware. It should be sufficient for you to:
1) Come to accept the merits of my intentions,
2) Be willing to help within reason to the extents of your capacity according to your values as you judge appropriate according to the value you recognize in what is being done -- and that includes being willing to discuss things and share ideas to help improve the abstract current goals,
and 3) Invest a modicum of acceptance in my desire to see the abstract current goals come to fruition, even though you may not think that you understand everything about it or foresee what you perceive as every possible outcome.

So if you recognize any value in this project, accept it and help with it according to your convenience and desire to see it come to fruition. I cannot guarantee it will come about at all, or any specific usefulness or results, because I am not all-knowing and all-wise. As for the reasons behind the motivation I have to do this, there are many reasons, but if you will excuse me, I will leave their revelation to your imagination and pondering, with the general understanding of the desired resulting product as being a helpful and harmless service.
Edited by sparky on Jan 20, 2016 at 01:04 PM

I have just barely enough money right now to keep my dedicated server going for about two more years. I hope to earn some income during that time period in order to keep the server going. If things do not work this way, then I will backup the server data to my local machine and downgrade from a dedicated server to a cheaper alternative... of course, that would mean a lesser quality server, though. But you can see in this that I at least intend to preserve the information and have in mind a minimal approach to doing so.
Edited by sparky on Jan 20, 2016 at 01:30 PM

---

I finished downloading all the files from the hce.halomaps.org "all files" list.

Stats: 6,450 file archives; 140,023,063,130 bytes (140.04 GB on disk)

I don't know if Dennis wants a mirror for those downloads, but at some point later on in the future, for my own purposes, I think it would be a good idea for me to remove all the instances of the Halo Maps Read Me text file in these .zip files. But before I go around changing things and reorganizing information, I might as well just list a direct mirror like I do for the other sites.

I am still thinking about whether it is worth it to rip the pages of this forum. I don't want to waste disk space on that, but I might at least save the text of pages, not including images. It's hard to say what is worth keeping from among all the textual information on this forum.

My filter of information will be "something that is helpful to such an extent that it is worth considering while making official documentation; not historical". I'm looking for info to read that explains things about the game and its lore and its engine and also related program information, like how to make something in 3DS Max or another modeling program and get it into the game.

I am currently uploading all 6,450 file archives to my server at a speed of over 7 MB per second, and increasing. I will share a link to my hce.halomaps.org mirror from my mirrors page (http://mirrors.galaxyverge.com/) once the files have been transferred.
Edited by sparky on Jan 20, 2016 at 07:07 PM

---

I updated the stats, sorry about that, had some partial downloads to correct. There is about 1 hour remaining for the files to finish uploading to my server, going at around 7 MB / sec still.
Edited by sparky on Jan 20, 2016 at 11:36 PM

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 02:35 PM    Msg. 34 of 207       
This is absurd.

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 02:23 PM    Msg. 35 of 207       
Oh stop the hate

I would love to see a properly working AI-syncing program and I have high hopes for your projects sparky :)

Page 1 of 6 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu July 27, 2017 8:44 AM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website