A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »|~| Sparky's Variegated Thread

Page 2 of 7 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: |~| Sparky's Variegated Thread (216 messages, Page 2 of 7)
Moderators: Dennis

NeX

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 03:55 PM    Msg. 36 of 216       
Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
Oh stop the hate

I would love to see a properly working AI-syncing program and I have high hopes for your projects sparky :)

So would everyone. Just add this to the ever growing list of things sparky talks about.

It will never happen.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 04:46 PM    Msg. 37 of 216       
Quote: --- Original message by: t3h m00kz

Oh stop the hate

I would love to see a properly working AI-syncing program and I have high hopes for your projects sparky :)

too bad the guy literally has no idea what he's getting himself into

a rewrite of CE's networking and how it handles AI RNG would require massive reverse engineering and modifications to client and server, which would be not be particularly easy to push out to the public

while not technically "impossible," I highly doubt a person with seemingly no experience reverse engineering or coding would know where to start
Edited by t3h m00kz on Jan 29, 2016 at 04:28 PM

He is from 2009 though.

not giraffe

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 04:59 PM    Msg. 38 of 216       
I hear that is one of the best places to circle jerk.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 05:18 PM    Msg. 39 of 216       
#MakeModacityGreatAgain

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 08:04 PM    Msg. 40 of 216       
I was banned from Mod-a-City :'(
Then again, I was banned here a few times too.
I was a little rascal back then.

Wolf_

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 08:26 PM    Msg. 41 of 216       
I seem to recall the banhammer being dropped frequently over at modacity. But yeah, you were :)

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Jan 30, 2016 12:28 AM    Msg. 42 of 216       
Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
I was banned from Mod-a-City :'(
Then again, I was banned here a few times too.
I was a little rascal back then.

You deserved it. A lot.

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Jan 30, 2016 06:23 AM    Msg. 43 of 216       
Well you don't get banned for making bad jokes about wrist watches, of course.

Skidrow925

Posted: Jan 30, 2016 11:01 AM    Msg. 44 of 216       
Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
Well you don't get banned for making bad jokes about wrist watches, of course.

Na

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Feb 1, 2016 08:26 AM    Msg. 45 of 216       
You know, he made video's showing his progress in AI syncing and it was pretty promising, maybe he'll manage to finish that one day :)

sparky

Death does not bring you any closer to God.

Posted: Feb 1, 2016 05:37 PM    Msg. 46 of 216       
I just saw that Halo 2 multiplayer is unavailable. Do you know of any projects to bring that back? EDIT: I see that someone has been doing something.

Also, h2mt.org is down, there's a note about Google Drive, and all the other halo 2 sites I can find are not working. I would like to mirror files. Does anyone have the Halo 2 files and programs that I can upload to my server? Thanks.
Edited by sparky on Feb 1, 2016 at 05:55 PM

EDIT: I only have "Halo 2 programs" which includes Mr. Mohawk 1.2 and Gravemind 1.6b, but I don't have a copy of Assembly. I guess I'll go ask on the halo 2 halomaps forum.
Edited by sparky on Feb 1, 2016 at 07:05 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 1, 2016 07:05 PM    Msg. 47 of 216       
Wher'd twinreaper go?

Calling twinreaper please report to sparkies variegated thread, thankyou.

sparky

Posted: Feb 1, 2016 07:14 PM    Msg. 48 of 216       
Do you have twinreaper's contact?

I posted on the halo 2 vista halomaps forum:

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=49054

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 1, 2016 07:32 PM    Msg. 49 of 216       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Do you have twinreaper's contact?

I posted on the halo 2 vista halomaps forum:

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=49054

Try his AIM.

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=userinfo&viewuserID=10528

I also don't think anyone visits H2V anymore.
Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 1, 2016 at 07:33 PM
Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 1, 2016 at 07:35 PM

sparky

Posted: Feb 1, 2016 07:41 PM    Msg. 50 of 216       
Thanks. He doesn't receive offline AIM messages, though. I'll try contacting him via HaloMaps forum PM.

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
I also don't think anyone visits H2V anymore.
Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 1, 2016 at 07:33 PM
Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 1, 2016 at 07:35 PM

I tried begging on the halo2vista.com forum: http://www.halo2vista.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3687

We'll see if anyone listens.
Edited by sparky on Feb 1, 2016 at 07:47 PM

You know, he made video's showing his progress in AI syncing and it was pretty promising, maybe he'll manage to finish that one day :)

I have Zeus Relay on hold while I brainstorm for the development of the conglomerate file archive and definitive whitepaper site. So like, all the info you would want to know about the game and what people have shared from it... but official.

I'm going for a simple design, categorized like the current rendition of the Halo Index (http://halo.galaxyverge.com/index). <--- I'll probably just recycle that link into "Halo Index 2.0".
Edited by sparky on Feb 1, 2016 at 07:55 PM

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Feb 1, 2016 09:33 PM    Msg. 51 of 216       
I just saw that Halo 2 multiplayer is unavailable. Do you know of any projects to bring that back? EDIT: I see that someone has been doing something.

They should be over on the teamspeak server, ts.h2pc.org
Can also try either of these locations
http://www.thedefaced.org/
http://www.halo2vista.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3639

Also, h2mt.org is down, there's a note about Google Drive, and all the other halo 2 sites I can find are not working. I would like to mirror files. Does anyone have the Halo 2 files and programs that I can upload to my server? Thanks.

Some stuff here
http://www.halo2vista.com/downloads/
H2EK related stuff here
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n5p21l6yykxo4np/H2EK+Mods.rar
idk which of those files are needed (One of the dll's should be needed, idk which one). I believe H2GuerillaDONE is the best version. H2Tool I believe has some minor changes in it.

Next, some tags (Almost all of them are HUD related; there is one biped, a sentinel)
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/e6c6u53shuwlg/Tags

Finally, some maps, which chances are you'll need one of the modified launchers, or mainmenu.map to see ingame (Anything with custom HUDs will need it)
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/qw0ke7ye8mmrq/H2_Maps

sparky

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 12:55 PM    Msg. 52 of 216       
Thanks, Kirby. I downloaded these files, but I am not sure what they are. Could you clarify what they are?

---

Regarding "Black Art of Halo Mods" by Stephen Cawood, the publisher's web site says that the book is no longer available for purchase. Amazon.com has some copies, used versions at under $3 and new versions at over $50.

Whether this book is worth the effort for my purposes, I am not sure, but I am nevertheless going to attempt to scan my copy as a PDF for inclusion on my web site, as part of my organized archive of Halo files.

I think it was online years ago as an e-book, but I will go ahead and mutilate my own copy for my own purposes. I will include its relevant information in my own authored papers, so this is for educational purposes, and for archival (e.g. like a library). I am essentially superseding it with my web site, so aside from historical narrative and specific citations, you would not be inclined to download it (or buy remaining copies).
Edited by sparky on Feb 2, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 02:12 PM    Msg. 53 of 216       
Fick ja!

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 07:50 PM    Msg. 54 of 216       
I think supersniper had a collection of a ton of halo tools and as he is active in H2V it wouldnt surprise me if he had a collection of H2V tools.

sparky

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 09:27 PM    Msg. 55 of 216       
Here is my copy of Black Art of Halo Mods by Stephen Cawood. I gingerly removed the book cover and separated each page from the glued binding, then scanned each page into a PDF file. I might go to Kinko's and scan the full book cover and add it to an updated copy of this link.

For now, this goes in the Halo CE and HEK Starter Kit's tutorials directory. It will be sorted along with other files and information among my archives.

Quite a bit of work this was, about 400 pages to scan. Enjoy it. Copy / save where you like, but I reserve the right to change this file link location and update the PDF with more content at my leisure.

http://files.galaxyverge.com/hceheksk/resources/tutorials/black_art_of_halo_mods.pdf
Edited by sparky on Feb 2, 2016 at 09:29 PM

MEGA_VKNG

no.

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 10:53 PM    Msg. 56 of 216       
Black art isnt too helpful, its more or less just a collectors item for modders, i have a copy, it helped on some things, then i put it down.

sparky

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 11:18 PM    Msg. 57 of 216       
Yes, it is not a game guide. I do enjoy the author's hopeful and optimistic approach and wording.

I have been chomping at the bit to get this game guide started. I've been pondering what kinds of topical categories I could present. Mr. Cawood doesn't get into the nitty-gritty technical details like I plan to include. So I anticipate trying to consolidate the entire guide into a through-composed, well-structured guide that is intended to be read straight through instead of scoured for topics.

Wish me luck ;D I'm going to start with just a plain text document.

In the mean time, enjoy this warthog flip.
Edited by sparky on Feb 3, 2016 at 04:41 PM

Here's what I've written so far. Please comment. (Formatting such as indentation does not translate through onto forum here, sorry.)

Quote:
Halo

Halo, the computer game developed by Bungie Studios, Microsoft's "Microsoft Game Studios" and "343 Industries", Gearbox Software, and MacSoft, has the following common, playable game versions. The information here is intended to pertain to these versions of this Halo computer game.

Halo 1 "Halo: Combat Evolved"
"Halo" for Xbox (Bungie Studios and Microsoft Game Studios)
"Halo Demo" for PowerPC Mac (MacSoft), "Halo Trial" for PC (Gearbox)
"Halo PC" 1.0.9.620 for PC (Gearbox / Roger Wolfson), "Halo PC" 1.0.10.621 for PC (Gearbox / Roger Wolfson), "Halo Full" for PowerPC Mac (MacSoft)
"Halo Custom Edition" 1.0.9.620 for PC (Gearbox / Roger Wolfson), "Halo Custom Edition" 1.0.10.621 for PC (Gearbox / Roger Wolfson)
"Halo Universal Binary" for PowerPC and Intel Mac (MacSoft), "Halo Mini Demo" for Intel Mac (nil)

Halo 2
"Halo 2" for Xbox (Bungie Studios and Microsoft Game Studios)
"Halo 2 Vista" for PC (Microsoft Game Studios)

Bungie Studios developed Halo 1 and Halo 2 with help from Microsoft. Microsoft obtained the copyrights to the Halo game through this partnership and turned it into a franchise through Microsoft Game Studios after the large sales of Microsoft's Xbox console which featured Halo. Gearbox Software developed the Halo 1 game into "Halo PC", which runs on Windows. Gearbox developed a free demo of Halo PC called "Halo Trial". Gearbox also developed "Halo Custom Edition" or "Halo CE" for PC, which is intended to be used by gamers who want to play additional content on their computers. MacSoft ported Gearbox's Halo PC to run on PowerPC-based Apple Macintosh computers as "Halo for Mac", or "Halo PPC", or "Halo Full" to contrast with "Halo Demo" or "Halo Demo PPC". MacSoft developed Halo Demo for Mac to coincide with Gearbox's Halo Trial for PC. When Apple changed from building computers using the Motorola PowerPC ("PPC") processor to the Intel processor, MacSoft greatly overhauled the source code to their Halo for Mac application and developed a Universal Binary version which would run on PowerPC and Intel Macs, called "Halo Universal Binary" or "Halo UB". Some fans of Halo Demo who had experimented with developing software based upon their analyses of the files from Halo PC, Halo Custom Edition, Halo Trial, Halo Demo, and Halo PPC, gathered through Monoman's web site forum, Mac Gaming Mods (http://www.macgamingmods.com/forum). Using that communication venue, nil and others there developed a modified version of MacSoft's Halo Universal Binary and presented it to the community as Halo Mini Demo, or HaloMD. The reason for developing HaloMD was to replace the version of Halo Demo PPC which was becoming unusable as a result of Apple's change to Intel processors. When GameSpy ceased their free service of hosting master server lobby connections, both the Mac and PC versions of Halo were affected. MacSoft was unable to renew a license to the Halo source code and copyrights from Microsoft. Gearbox Software was no longer interested in Halo. Roger Wolfson, who formerly worked at Bungie Studios, updated the Halo PC game and dedicated server program executables to version 01.00.10.0621 and, with help from some members of the various Halo web site communities, changed to a different master server lobby host. Halo Demo, which was greatly popular among Mac gamers, was no longer a viable game for multiplayer due to the PowerPC-to-Intel change and the loss of GameSpy services. Later, after Bungie stopped working with Microsoft, Microsoft set up a subsidiary group called "343 Industries" or "343i" to develop more games for their Halo franchise. In October or November of 2015, Microsoft suddenly ceased hosting their master server lobby for Halo 2 Vista. Today, most Halo gamers who use Microsoft Windows PC are left with Halo PC 1.0.10.621 and Halo Custom Edition 1.0.10.621, and most of the Apple OS X users are left with the community-developed rendition Halo Mini Demo.

Gearbox Software developed "the Halo Editing Kit", abbreviated as "HEK", for use with Halo Custom Edition. The Halo Editing Kit consists of three main programs: Tool, Guerilla, and Sapien. Tool is a console program which means that it is used for distinctly linear tasks and does not provide a user interface to display. Tool is used to generate intermediary files called "tags" and to compile tags into finished "map cache files", or "maps", which is the file format used by the Halo game to store playable game levels and related asset archives. Guerilla is used to modify asset-based tags that were converted by Tool, and can also be used to generate all the other tag files that do not contain assets converted by Tool. Sapien, which was notably developed over several years by Matthew Noguchi, is the HEK program used to view and develop a game level's scenario.

When you install Halo PC, you will need to use a Microsoft software product license key. The license key that comes with your copy of Halo PC is located on an orange sticker above the disc holder inside the disc case. The product key for Halo 2 Vista is also on an orange sticker above its disc holder inside the disc case. MacSoft's Halo PPC also comes with a CD Key which is located on the rear cover of the manual pamphlet included in the box with the installation disc. The format of the CD keys for Halo PC and Halo 2 Vista is capital letters and numbers of the sequence XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX, whereas the format for Halo PPC is capital letters and numbers of the sequence XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX. Product keys are meant to be privately used by the software to identify a player; each product key should only be used by one person's copy of the Halo software. They abstractly represent a proof of purchase and typically should not be shared. The installation software provides an installation ID, but this is typically ignored; the product key is more significant to the player.

Halo Custom Edition's installer requires that you provide a Halo PC license key. Therefore, both Halo PC and Halo CE are considered licensed software, and Halo CE requires that you have a Halo PC product key. However, it is possible to install the Halo Editing Kit without having installed Halo Custom Edition. But Halo Custom Edition is required to play the map files that you have compiled using the Halo Editing Kit. So in essence, the typically installation process is to first install Halo PC, then Halo Custom Edition, and finally the Halo Editing Kit. However, if you do not own a copy of Halo PC and do not have a valid product key for it, you can only install the Halo Editing Kit, and you will not be able to use Halo Custom Edition to play your new map files.

Halo PC's default installation directory is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo". Halo Custom Edition's default installation directory is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition". The Halo Editing Kit installs into the Halo Custom Edition program's folder. Note that Halo is a 32-bit program, and so the default installation directory on 64-bit computers running 64-bit versions of Windows would be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition". The 32-bit programs usually install into the "Program Files (x86)" directory instead of the "Program Files" directory when the Windows operating system is 64-bit. The Halo Editing Kit installs two working directories within the Halo CE directory: a folder called "tags" and a folder called "data". When you use the Tool program to convert data like images and sounds into tags like .bitmap and .sound, you place the data files into folders within the "data" folder, run the appropriate Tool command, and Tool generates the tags and places them within coinciding subdirectories within the "tags" folder. The HEK programs Tool, Guerilla and Sapien are designed to only operate with the "working tags directory". To avoid issues with programs that are hard-coded to use the default installation directories for the Halo games, it is recommended that you use the default installation directories when installing Halo, Halo Custom Edition, and the Halo Editing Kit.

Halo for PC and Mac also install saved game information and certain settings files within the Saved Games and Documents folders within the user's directory. These file paths are hard-coded into the game, so you do not get an option to customize their location. Therefore, if a user file is not in its default location, it will be considered non-existent.

Halo for Xbox uses compression for its files. The Xbox version of the game also uses a different set of shader and model tag types from the Gearbox ports and the MacSoft ports. So for example, the appearance of teleporter entrances varies noticeably between the Xbox version of Halo and PC / Mac versions of Halo. The port of Halo between Xbox and PC / Mac is not exact. Gearbox Software included "optimizations" and MacSoft did its own overhaul with the Halo Universal Binary version. Halo PC and Halo Custom Edition also differ from each other.

The format and directory structure for Halo Xbox files is unique, since it uses compression and optimizations were seen as very necessary. The format of Halo PC files, notably the map files which contain level data, is practically the same as the format of files for Halo Full for Mac. Halo Demo and Halo Trial have about the same format of files as each other, different from the commercial versions Halo PC and Halo Full PPC, but the Halo Demo and Halo Trial programs have different quirks that can cause malformed or illogical map files to work on one but cause the other to crash. Halo Custom Edition uses a different format for its files, with its map files more heavily reliant upon common resource map references. The common resource map files for the games are bitmaps.map and sounds.map, where bitmaps.map contains common image data and sounds.map contains common audio data. Resource maps are used so that each scenario level stored in a playable .map file does not need to contain large swaths of duplicate data.

Playable levels are stored within .map files found within the "maps" folder in each Halo installation directory. (Halo PC uses "MAPS" and other capitalized folder names in the Halo installation directory, but using a case-insensitive computer setup means that "MAPS" is the same as "maps"; following the unix and Internet norm, lowercase is preferable and underscores are often necessary in lieu of spaces in subdirectories and file names. It is recommended to always use lowercase and underscores in lieu of spaces when using the Halo Editing Kit. Also note that unix uses the forward-slash "/" directory separator whereas Windows uses the back-slash "\" directory separator.) The .map files that contain playable information are of one general structure, different from the resource map files bitmaps.map and sounds.map. Halo CE and the HEK have a loc.map file which is used by Tool to help determine which tags are considered common; removing the loc.map file from your Halo CE's "maps" folder will result in Tool copying every tag that a compiled .map file references into the .map file during its compilation. Copying resource tags into a playable .map file is known as "internalizing" the tags. When a map has internalized tags, it potentially contains data in duplicate of the bitmaps.map and sounds.map resource map files -- the bitmaps or sounds from the standalone tags in the HEK tags directory are copied into the map file, even though their data could be already present in the resource maps bitmaps.map or sounds.map. When Tool does not find a loc.map, it will attempt to create a new loc.map, but not give it any data. So to switch back to normal map compilation and internalization functionality, the user would need to place their original loc.map file back into their Halo CE "maps" folder. Normal functionality only "internalizes" novel tag data into a map; only content that is not present within the two standard resource maps. Note that ui.map is also a playable level, but is unique in its use as the main menu for the game. Halo only loads one .map file at a time into memory, although it keeps it in memory once it is loaded. Halo PC and Halo Custom Edition initiate file locks on map files, and Halo Custom Edition only loads all the map files it can find in its "maps" folder all at once when it starts, so that while they are running, the .map file is not really modifiable. Halo Mac and Halo Demo do not lock modifications to the map files, and changes made to the file will be visible after a map file is reloaded, such as when choosing "new game" within the game menu while the map level is being played. Making map files work with Halo Demo or Halo Trial requires changing the format of the map file from its Xbox, commercial, or Custom Edition formats, and renaming the file as "bloodgulch.map" to replace the presence of the former "bloodgulch.map" file located in the game's "maps" folder. Halo Demo and Halo Trial look for the single "bloodgulch.map" as the multi-player level and the single "b30.map" as the single-player level. The commercial versions Halo PC and Halo PPC contain more information in their resource maps than the Halo Demo and Halo Trial versions. Resource maps are not normally interchangeable in equivalency between ports, just like the other .map files and user files are not interchangeable in equivalency between ports. The exception to this is that certain Halo PC and Halo Mac files, notably their .map files, are practically or exactly equivalent. This is also the case between Halo Demo and Halo Trial.

Playable maps contain game level information stored within tags. Essentially, playable map files consist of Halo Editing Kit tags that have been processed by Tool. When Tool processes tag files from the HEK "tags" directory, compiling them into a map cache file using the "build-cache-file" command, Tool adds additional information to the tags and removes the irrelevant file headers from them. Tool seeks out each tag in the tags directory that is referenced in chain starting with the two primary base tags, which are the globals tag located at "globals\globals.globals", and the scenario tag at hand, which is of a custom location within the tags directory which was specified as a parameter using the "build-cache-file" command. Tool organizes the tag data, sets up a tag index, and applies calculated file data internal offsets for each tag in lieu of the directory paths of the referenced tags which are stored as strings within the HEK format of the tags. Since the map file gets loaded directly into Halo's memory, Tool applies calculated offsets. Note that HEK tag files store data in Big Endian, and byte swapping occurs when Tool handles the map data, so that the Big Endian tag data is converted into Little Endian for Halo to read directly into its Little Endian memory space. This is why, for example, a scenario tag's referenced Binary Space Partition's tag class as "sbsp" for .scenario_structure_bsp HEK tags appears reversed as "psbs" in compiled .map files: the four bytes are reversed in order, from s-b-s-p to p-s-b-s, since the HEK tag file data is in Big Endian byte order and the map cache file's converted tag file data is in Little Endian byte order.

After this, I get into the details of tag types.

Note: Please do not quote this as a wall of text in your forum replies.

Thanks, Flanker, for the responses.

---

Edited by sparky on Feb 4, 2016 at 12:33 PM

The most recent version of the white-paper document will be available at this location, for now:

http://halo.galaxyverge.com/
Edited by sparky on Feb 4, 2016 at 04:07 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 11:25 AM    Msg. 58 of 216       
Bump.

Btcc22

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 03:47 PM    Msg. 59 of 216       
Halo Demo, which was greatly popular among Mac gamers, was no longer a viable game for multiplayer due to the PowerPC-to-Intel change and the loss of GameSpy services.

GameSpy ceased providing service for the demo/trial but the replacement server actually reinstated it, even if seemingly nobody is aware of it.
Edited by Btcc22 on Feb 5, 2016 at 03:49 PM

sparky

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 03:53 PM    Msg. 60 of 216       
GameSpy did a replacement server? I don't know if I'm imagining this, but was there a time when the GameSpy server was announced as down but still worked? Is this the replacement server you mean? It's hard to remember these details. Perhaps instead you are referring to the 1.0.10 master server lobby that is used now instead? If so, that would not apply to Halo Demo PPC, I think.

Btcc22

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 04:16 PM    Msg. 61 of 216       
Perhaps instead you are referring to the 1.0.10 master server lobby that is used now instead? If so, that would not apply to Halo Demo PPC, I think.

Yep, although pointing any client to the new domain is not hard, hence why clients other than 1.10 PC/CE are still being used. The replacement domain used by the 1.10 master server was actually specifically chosen so that it was short enough to allow for a simple binary edit.
Edited by Btcc22 on Feb 5, 2016 at 04:17 PM

sparky

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 04:34 PM    Msg. 62 of 216       
HaloMD does it similarly, but uses 1.0.9.620 instead of 1.0.10.621. I asked nil if he would consider updating to 1.0.10 and his final answer was no, Regis. So that's how it is over in that corner of the room.

Getting the list of servers is fine, but you also have to be able to connect to them. I am uncertain whether Halo Demo PPC (or more precisely, Halo Full for Mac) could connect to a 1.0.9 or 1.0.10 server. Network code has changed, if I remember correctly what I have read. This is why 1.0.9 and 1.0.10 cannot connect to each other, right? There is more to it than the change in "DNS". There were even differences between Halo Demo and Halo Trial preventing connections, although the Halo Full PPC was made up-to-speed with Halo PC at the time. I don't remember if that was 1.0.4 or 1.0.7 or 1.0.9.
Edited by sparky on Feb 5, 2016 at 04:37 PM

Btcc22

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 05:47 PM    Msg. 63 of 216       
This is why 1.0.9 and 1.0.10 cannot connect to each other, right?

Most versions can connect to each other, even if it requires version spoofing. I don't think 1.09 and 1.10 need any spoofing - I'd have to double check. Either way, this isn't anything new and isn't related to the master server change. The point was that the trial has a functional server list.
Edited by Btcc22 on Feb 5, 2016 at 05:48 PM

sparky

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 11:33 PM    Msg. 64 of 216       
I made some graphics for the web site. These are supposed to be used as node URL link graphics in the site navigation menu tree. Basically, it's a tree graph of topics, starting with the main page and each sub-set of nodes is a different color. There are four colors in two different shades, so I have some options with a bright color scheme and a dark color scheme for the site, or to make the bright colors easy and the dark ones more technical and involved.

So basically I am doing this for the site navigation menu, but upside-down:

And for the nodes, I'm using these sphere graphics I drew with Inkscape, where the solid closed sphere is default and the open sphere is the mouse hover and current page. This design should help keep concept management organized, rather than some weird sub-menu list or an invisible navigation scheme that makes the reader get lost.

Here are the nodes. i'm thinking of having the link info show up when you hover your mouse over a node, but that's not very touch-screen-friendly. http://imgur.com/a/Dgr2o These are 4096 x 4096.

Example node, as closed and open:

This was my first drawing in Inkscape!

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 03:54 AM    Msg. 65 of 216       
4k was so last year.

8k is where its at. :D

Though users with poor isp's may struggle to load pages containing intensive content.

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 07:07 AM    Msg. 66 of 216       
Quote: --- Original message by: tarikja
4k was so last year.

20k is the future, is your future and the future I chose for you!

But,but mah Nvidia Geforce 3 nv20 can only handle half a K!

sparky

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 08:01 AM    Msg. 67 of 216       
I don't know about browser support for raster graphics, so I'm just planning to use small images according to the size and position of the nodes in the web site graph layout. They just need to be selectable buttons, so that appears to be 64 x 64 for the big ones and 32 x 32 for the small ones. I did 4096 x 4096 out of thought for HEK maximum bitmap sizes, in case anyone wanted to use them. But along the lines of reusability and sharing, I was first thinking about using CSS 3 styling to do the visual site layout graph, but chose to spend the time making it look nice in vector images rather than trying to juggle simplistic CSS painting. I'll probably still do the connective lines in Inkscape also, then have the layout in CSS with button interactivity.

*sigh* Try to remain calm.

---

On an unrelated note, I was thinking about what we could get Dennis for Valentine's Day as a special thanks for all he's done with Halo Maps. Any ideas? How about a card signed by several of us? If we mailed it to each other, it wouldn't be done by Valentine's Day, but it would be really nice nonetheless.

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 09:49 AM    Msg. 68 of 216       
On an unrelated note, I was thinking about what we could get Dennis for Valentine's Day as a special thanks for all he's done with Halo Maps. Any ideas? How about a card signed by several of us? If we mailed it to each other, it wouldn't be done by Valentine's Day, but it would be really nice nonetheless.

Valentines day seems a little dubious to me, seeing as we are all guys and though we do love dennis we love him as our leader and fair guardian. #nohomo

So I'll just post my letter now.

Dear Dennis.

It is with heartfelt content that I express my gratitude for all the years you have contributed to moderating this fair and peaceful organisation, I remember when I was but a nube looking upon the forum rules for the first time, as I noted the various statues you had set for your past and future followers I could not help but be in awe of your thrilling guidelines, your extraordinary decrees were barely palpable!

As my stay here began to lengthen you never once considered abandoning me to the trolleous wolves that often patrolled the borders of this site. You were my hero nay my guardian, a figure I could look upon as a child would look upon it's father. In times of depression and dismay you often sought to console and comfort me with your uplifting private messages.

In truth I sometimes felt spoilt, to have such a wonderful and caring companion whom I could share with my woes in times of distress and equally my elation in times of joy.

To honor you with a nobel peace prize would be an insult to your prodigious character therefore I have garnered all of my intellect in order to present to you a commemoration of my own labour.

I am forever grateful that you shared knowledge and patience with me, I hope that you live to exceed me and that when the end of your time has come you depart from this dominion with grace and comfort.

Signed - Super flanker

Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 6, 2016 at 09:54 AM

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 10:34 AM    Msg. 69 of 216       
You were my hero nay my guardian, a figure I could look upon as a child would look upon its father.

I feel heartbroken to have had to correct that beautiful post.

Skidrow925

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 11:08 AM    Msg. 70 of 216       
Quote: --- Original message by: tarikja
4k was so last year.

20k is the future, is your future and the future I chose for you!

Dude. 56k. Fifty. Six. Kay.

Page 2 of 7 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat September 23, 2017 2:12 PM 422 ms.
A Halo Maps Website