A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Smoke Screen Map Protector

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next
Author Topic: Smoke Screen Map Protector (100 messages, Page 1 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 03:55 PM    Msg. 1 of 100       
This map protector will protect a map and make it unable to be deprotected by Eternal Lightning. It also allows maps to be protected and deprotected with a password, which may be useful for private betas where multiple authors are involved.

Note that it requires Command Prompt. If you don't like Command Prompt or if you can't handle the thought of using Command Prompt, then don't use this tool.

Demonstration (Note: I say a couple naughty words, so watch at your own discretion): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWI3xirSKUY

Download (1.0 alpha 1):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30298900/Smoke%20Screen.zip

Note: This may not be the final version and I've only tested it on a few modded maps, CE maps, and stock maps on both Halo PC and CE. Remember to back up a map before protecting it.

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 04:07 PM    Msg. 2 of 100       
Wait people still protect their maps?

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 04:10 PM    Msg. 3 of 100       
How will I rip maps now?

Halonimator

Halo5gsucks.com

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 04:12 PM    Msg. 4 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: 002
This map protector will protect a map and make it unable to be deprotected by Eternal Lightning. It also allows maps to be protected and deprotected with a password, which may be useful for private betas where multiple authors are involved.

Note that it requires Command Prompt. If you don't like Command Prompt or if you can't handle the thought of using Command Prompt, then don't use this tool.

Demonstration (Note: I say a couple naughty words, so watch at your own discretion): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWI3xirSKUY

Download (1.0 alpha 1):

Note: This may not be the final version and I've only tested it on a few modded maps, CE maps, and stock maps on both Halo PC and CE. Remember to back up a map before protecting it.

10/10 Now johnlex2 will not be able to rip.
Edited by Halonimator on Jan 21, 2016 at 04:13 PM

A Juicy Frank

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 04:49 PM    Msg. 5 of 100       
The main benefit of this is to get those sick tag names. I like תשקצ:

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 05:13 PM    Msg. 6 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
How will I rip maps now?

With the map editor.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 05:53 PM    Msg. 7 of 100       
why does anybody even protect maps anymore? to prevent any progress from being made? is that still a thing?

Seriously, are people still so vitriolic that they protect maps in this day and age?

Mootjuh

Hilariously derailing oneliner

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 05:59 PM    Msg. 8 of 100       
99% of the content in the maps are rips anyway.

sparky

Death does not bring you any closer to God.

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 10:55 PM    Msg. 9 of 100       
Can the "protection" be removed by Death Star?

This seems silly.

Halonimator

Halo5gsucks.com

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 12:02 AM    Msg. 10 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

This seems silly.

SHhhhh... dont tell them!

Darkzealotx

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 08:46 AM    Msg. 11 of 100       
Wait so lemme get this straight.
You first released a program to unprotect maps and now you release a counter program so you can protect maps again?

If this is right^ then don't even bother. No one protects maps these days anyway. Map protection is a thing from the past, back when the forum was full of these ridiculous discussions. I like how you made a program to unprotect maps from the past seeing as map protection should have never even existed imo. But this program is just a waste of time.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 09:48 AM    Msg. 12 of 100       
The only viable excuse I can see and I have mentioned this before btw is to ensure that the availability of WIP assets remains weak.

Final maps should always be Open Source.

And stahp hoarding.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 05:33 PM    Msg. 13 of 100       
It'd be nice to stop people from using stuff that's only meant for beta.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 08:48 PM    Msg. 14 of 100       
So at level 5 this replaces the tag index with repeating 0x00 - 0xff, moves the real tag index to the rear of the file, corrupts many of the 4cc id's in the tag index, points all tag paths to the same location with an invalid string value, and corrupts some of the 4cc id's in each the meta data tag reference fields.

I could still rip tags from a map protected with it tbh. I'd have to implement more stuff in my ripper, such as loading the tags that are able to be loaded, using the 4cc id's in each of their tag reference fields to correct the 4cc id of each of their references in the tag index array, load any tags that have had their indexes corrected, and keep that up until no indexes are invalid. from that point on it'd be the same routine as the rest of my ripper.

I'm not yet sure how you set it up to redirect the map to look for the tag index at the end of the file, even though the tag index pointer points to that corrupted index. I've only spent a couple hours looking it over, but I'm sure I can write a "Repair tag index" routine into my ripper.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jan 22, 2016 at 09:23 PM

Btcc22

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 09:09 PM    Msg. 15 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: t3h m00kz
Any asset that goes into the engine belongs to Microsoft

Not even close to being true.

EmmanuelCD

Esteban se la come

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 09:21 PM    Msg. 16 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator

Quote: --- Original message by: 002

Download (1.0 alpha 1):

10/10 Now johnlex2 will not be able to rip.
Edited by Halonimator on Jan 21, 2016 at 04:13 PM

Btcc22

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 09:21 PM    Msg. 17 of 100       
wasn't there a huge debate about this that dennis debunked?

There was but I debunked it.

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 10:07 PM    Msg. 18 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt

I'm not yet sure how you set it up to redirect the map to look for the tag index at the end of the file, even though the tag index pointer points to that corrupted index. I've only spent a couple hours looking it over, but I'm sure I can write a "Repair tag index" routine into my ripper.

As I've said before, anyone desperate enough could break into a protected map, and I personally don't care if someone's protected map gets trounced as a result. As long as Halo can load the map, the data is there. The new Deathstar API that I'm working on will even repair the original tag references, as it uses mapped-out references.

That said, you'll have to do better than that, as I could also put something like tag data in there to make it so if you replace the tag index there, you also delete the tag data you wanted to rip. I once wrote a map rebuilder that, due to a bug, inadvertently put the tag index after the tag names, but still produced working maps. This puzzled me when my maps wouldn't work in Eschaton, but looked fine in a hex editor and my own map parser.

The pointer is that 0x40440028, which is at the very beginning of the meta data (loaded at 0x40440000 which is what you subtract from every pointer + the meta offset to get the offset). You can also change which tag is the scenario tag, as the tag ID for the scenario tag is referenced in the field after that. Cache files can be incredibly modular if you want them to. :D

Here's some of my research if it helps you out (annotated with additional comments):
https://github.com/Halogen002/Proton-Map-Rebuilder/blob/master/HaloData.h#L98
struct HaloCacheFileTagDataHeader {
uint32_t tagArrayAddress; // Pointer to tag array (typically 0x40440028)
HaloTagID principalScenarioTag; // Tag ID of the scenario tag.
uint32_t randomNumber; // This is literally a random number.
uint32_t tagCount; // Number of tags, though Halo can only track 65536 tags.
uint32_t partCountA; // Model stuff!
uint32_t modelDataOffset; // Address to model stuff.
uint32_t partCountB; // Equals partCountA usually.
uint32_t vertexSize; // Offset to indices.
uint32_t modelSize; // Total model size.
uint32_t tags = INDEX_TAGS; // "tags"
};

All I really care about is just making Eternal Lightning obsolete, anyway. I have no intentions on making maps truly invincible, and I'm happy to share any information you need on map files (that I know of). I don't keep any secrets at all with my work.

Any asset that goes into the engine belongs to Microsoft

They now own an asset that has been protected for them, then? :D
Edited by 002 on Jan 22, 2016 at 10:25 PM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 10:24 PM    Msg. 19 of 100       
Oh, i have no intention of repairing the maps, only ripping the tags. If I were to rebuild the tag index array, it'd be for the purpose of ripping, and by that point the index array would already be a python object. My point in even writing this ripper tool is that it'd allow me to convert maps over to xbox. That was my original goal when writing this library. I intend to use an extensible md5 hash cache system to allow tags to be identified by their content. I've already tested it on the few tag types that I have implemented and it worked pretty well. Thanks for the information, I'll put it to use. Right now I've gotta focus on calc3 and physics2. This thread caught my attention and got me off track lol.

It's funny that you want to make eternal lightning obsolete, because I wrote this last year and I named it after EL:
http://textuploader.com/x3d5
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jan 22, 2016 at 10:30 PM

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 10:38 PM    Msg. 20 of 100       
Oh, i have no intention of repairing the maps, only ripping the tags. If I were to rebuild the tag index array, it'd be for the purpose of ripping, and by that point the index array would already be a python object. My point in even writing this ripper tool is that it'd allow me to convert maps over to xbox. That was my original goal when writing this library. I intend to use an extensible md5 hash cache system to allow tags to be identified by their content. I've already tested it on the few tag types that I have implemented and it worked pretty well.

Cool! I rarely get to see any Halo tools in a non-C language like Python. Everyone's doing C++ and stuff. It might be "better" but I like to have a bit of fun.

Like I said, if you have any questions for anything to do with cache files, I may possibly be able to answer it, or you could take a look at my source code for things like headers and stuff if that helps. I know a lot about how cache files are arranged and how they can be arranged. There are a bunch of cool things that can be done with tags, maps, and other cool stuff.

For example, I could fragment a tag's data, spreading tag data around in the map. You'll still be able to edit them in HMT or Eschaton, so you can still "learn" from the tag, but you can't use Halo PC tools like Eschaton to rip the assets (I think HEK+ might work with it though). I demonstrated this a while ago but never released the tool because I originally thought it required a lot of mapping out, though I recently came up with an algorithm that could do this without mapping it out. It'll definitely be a fun challenge for the small Mac community putting the map back together without HEK+!

It's funny that you want to make eternal lightning obsolete, because I wrote this last year and I named it after EL:
http://textuploader.com/x3d5

Haha. Nice!

Edited by 002 on Jan 22, 2016 at 10:42 PM

MEGA_VKNG

no.

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 01:33 AM    Msg. 21 of 100       
wasn't there a huge debate about this that dennis debunked?

all the tagging belongs to microsoft but all designs and everything else is all yours.

MatthewDratt

Our President Brags About Sexual Assault

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 02:05 AM    Msg. 22 of 100       
New maps have to come out that I'd want to rip in the first place. 0/10 obsolete by lack of maps

Jesse

Discord: Jesse#4500

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 04:29 AM    Msg. 23 of 100       
Pretty much what Matt said. There's nothing worth ripping from maps anyway, they're all full of H4/5/reach rips (while some are good, they're still rips)

Abstinence is the best protection.

Oh wait, I meant to say "don't give out your maps to leakers."

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 05:14 AM    Msg. 24 of 100       
All hail Johnlex2!

OrangeJuice

discord was killing the forums anyways

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 09:28 AM    Msg. 25 of 100       
Never understood the idea of 'protecting' piracy, whether it was through replication(codified likeness, derivate work, WTHell you want to call it.) or just blatantly ripped(decompiling, theft)..

Not that I'd want to be a creditable name to something like that.(not likely that you'd BE creditable for something that's already compiled through tool)
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jan 23, 2016 at 09:34 AM

Donut

minorities need not apply

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 12:12 PM    Msg. 26 of 100       
So hey guys, been a while since I posted here. Moses linked me to the thread.

I started lurking in this community around 2005, and became pretty active in 2006. For those unfamiliar, I used to work with a team called Sigma1337. Silly name, I know. We used to get into these heated battles with other mapping teams, trying to produce better stuff than them and guard our secrets. Figured I'd chime in on the protection discussion.

Looking back, the thing I regret most is how competitive and secretive we all were. We made enemies with people over who was making the best Halo 3 content. It was ridiculous. If I could go back and change one thing, it would be sharing new tricks and techniques with the community. The content would have been better, and everyone could have enjoyed it as a cohesive whole. Instead, we fragmented our stuff into a bunch of different, incomplete maps that never got played.

Certain people used to leak betas just to make other people angry, but nobody ever actually played the betas. Even if someone did rip something from the map, it never did more than end up in a Blood Gluch variant that nobody ever saw or played anyway. The whole ripping thing was, and still is, a non-issue. I wish we would have seen that back then when the community was more active.

Also, for what its worth: HDoan, Masters, anyone else I've ever been a jerk to in the past about this stuff, I'm sorry.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 12:29 PM    Msg. 27 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: Donut
So hey guys, been a while since I posted here. Moses linked me to the thread.

I started lurking in this community around 2005, and became pretty active in 2006. For those unfamiliar, I used to work with a team called Sigma1337. Silly name, I know. We used to get into these heated battles with other mapping teams, trying to produce better stuff than them and guard our secrets. Figured I'd chime in on the protection discussion.

Looking back, the thing I regret most is how competitive and secretive we all were. We made enemies with people over who was making the best Halo 3 content. It was ridiculous. If I could go back and change one thing, it would be sharing new tricks and techniques with the community. The content would have been better, and everyone could have enjoyed it as a cohesive whole. Instead, we fragmented our stuff into a bunch of different, incomplete maps that never got played.

Certain people used to leak betas just to make other people angry, but nobody ever actually played the betas. Even if someone did rip something from the map, it never did more than end up in a Blood Gluch variant that nobody ever saw or played anyway. The whole ripping thing was, and still is, a non-issue. I wish we would have seen that back then when the community was more active.

Also, for what its worth: HDoan, Masters, anyone else I've ever been a jerk to in the past about this stuff, I'm sorry.

Competion is good for innovation but when it becomes "hrrgg us vs them" it starts to get really out of hand.

Having said that humanity seems to really only perform ouy our bests when we are busy scalping and blowing each others heads off.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 12:57 PM    Msg. 28 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Having said that humanity seems to really only perform ouy our bests when we are busy scalping and blowing each others heads off.
A theory completely disproved by the Apollo moon landing in 1969.

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 01:09 PM    Msg. 29 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Actually, we were trying to out do Russia and decided that dropping a nuke on the moon might actually not be the best way of going about it. (Assuming I recall correctly)

MEGA_VKNG

no.

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 01:18 PM    Msg. 30 of 100       
You know what's extra funny? People who rip from maps, put it in another map, and protect theirs. lmao

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 01:30 PM    Msg. 31 of 100       

Perhaps but that IMAO still doesn't count as 'civilized competition' since alot of the issues spawned from the space race decade affect us today in various forms.

Here is my interpretation of how a true friendly competition should occur.

2 teams made up of equal individuals spanning various abilities attempt to create a fully playable multiplayer enviroment over the course of two months.

The rules are simple:

Both maps must be managable by halo's blam enjin in its stock form.

Your maps must contain no bugs/glitchy features.

Once the two month period is complete both alliances must present their works regardless of how close or far away from the final build they are.

Once the two month period is over both maps are judged a winner is announced and then cruicially both teams compare notes over how and why they achieved their goals and what they fundementally believe they could do better the next time around.

Perhaps with even greater importance all data is gathered and shared among the public audience ensuring that the benefits of future generations.

This is pretty much my belief of how the world should be. Everyone pushing towards a specific betterment be it: law, trade policies, economics, pizza recipes and so on.

sparky

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 08:26 AM    Msg. 32 of 100       
Cooperation is superior to competition. Fighting is competition, and peace is cooperation. But that's layman's terms.

The bottom line is "Anyone who is dishonest with very little will be dishonest with a lot, and anyone who can be trusted with a little can be trusted with a lot. If you have been untrustworthy with worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches?" (Luke 16:10-11).

Making a tool and sharing it with "The Internet" is essentially taking your baby and "setting it free" by throwing it in the jungle. Honestly, now, what do you think would happen if Microsoft Game Studios really did publicly share the source code for the Halo game, under some worthless EULA, as if to hold "The Internet" accountable for its actions? It would get ripped to shreds, like a fawn among wolves. Debased copies of the game, several with malicious hacks, would be distributed on various web sites. Popularity would increase, but at what cost? The game would undergo so much more chaos than it undergoes even now with hacks like Open Sauce and Halo Anti-Cheat. And not all of the proselytized changes would be ideal.

Now 002 released this program to the wild, so practically anyone can use it, honestly or dishonestly, according to who they are. And sharing the source code to a program is a step that causes even more drastic consequences. The motto here is "knowledge is power", but in reality, people are so concerned with what they can do or what they cannot do, that they become blinded to potential and values, of what is really important in life, which is not about what people can do, because we are mere creatures.

The whole purpose of this idea of protecting assets is to prohibit their theft and resulting dishonest use (abuse). But here does 002's public release of this program coincide with this goal, and does the sharing of source code coincide with this goal? Sharing a program or sharing its source code had better be done in such a way that abuse is stifled, or else you are simply giving your hard efforts away to anyone who happens to have a computer connected to The Internet.
Edited by sparky on Jan 24, 2016 at 08:30 AM

Skidrow925

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 08:47 AM    Msg. 33 of 100       

Cooperation is superior to competition. Fighting is competition, and peace is cooperation. But that's layman's terms.

The bottom line is "Anyone who is dishonest with very little will be dishonest with a lot, and anyone who can be trusted with a little can be trusted with a lot. If you have been untrustworthy with worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches?" (Luke 16:10-11).

Making a tool and sharing it with "The Internet" is essentially taking your baby and "setting it free" by throwing it in the jungle. Honestly, now, what do you think would happen if Microsoft Game Studios really did publicly share the source code for the Halo game, under some worthless EULA, as if to hold "The Internet" accountable for its actions? It would get ripped to shreds, like a fawn among wolves. Debased copies of the game, several with malicious hacks, would be distributed on various web sites. Popularity would increase, but at what cost? The game would undergo so much more chaos than it undergoes even now with hacks like Open Sauce and Halo Anti-Cheat. And not all of the proselytized changes would be ideal.

Now 002 released this program to the wild, so practically anyone can use it, honestly or dishonestly, according to who they are. And sharing the source code to a program is a step that causes even more drastic consequences. The motto here is "knowledge is power", but in reality, people are so concerned with what they can do or what they cannot do, that they become blinded to potential and values, of what is really important in life, which is not about what people can do, because we are mere creatures.

The whole purpose of this idea of protecting assets is to prohibit their theft and resulting dishonest use (abuse). But here does 002's public release of this program coincide with this goal, and does the sharing of source code coincide with this goal? Sharing a program or sharing its source code had better be done in such a way that abuse is stifled, or else you are simply giving your hard efforts away to anyone who happens to have a computer connected to The Internet.
Edited by sparky on Jan 24, 2016 at 08:30 AM

First off, pure competition or cooperation doesn't help. Optimally, you'd have a sort of mix between them. If it makes sense, working sort of with each other but also against each other if that makes sense. I once heard the term "coopertition" or something to that effect.

Judging from current open source software, the rest of your post holds itself about as well as a duck having stepped on an anti-tank mine in zero gravity. Not sure why you brought Luke 16 in, it doesn't actually directly relate to this terrible well at all.

I think the release of blam is a fantastic idea.

Skidrow925

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 10:38 AM    Msg. 34 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Master
But it was faked!
-Oskarmandude 2016

People are still spouting off about that?

sparky

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 12:23 PM    Msg. 35 of 100       
Skidrow925, if we can't be trusted with our own little programs like map protectors and map protection removers, if we steal tags and in other ways show a lack of maturity or discipline, we will act the same way if we are given bigger guns.

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun September 24, 2017 10:42 PM 468 ms.
A Halo Maps Website