A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Smoke Screen Map Protector

Page 2 of 3 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Smoke Screen Map Protector (100 messages, Page 2 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 01:01 PM    Msg. 36 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Skidrow925, if we can't be trusted with our own little programs like map protectors and map protection removers, if we steal tags and in other ways show a lack of maturity or discipline, we will act the same way if we are given bigger guns.
not quite sure I am fool lush BG your logic here. How are people being trusted with programs?

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 02:48 PM    Msg. 37 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Having said that humanity seems to really only perform ouy our bests when we are busy scalping and blowing each others heads off.
A theory completely disproved by the Apollo moon landing in 1969.

To be fair, the US was fighting Russian-backed forces in Vietnam while the space race was going on.

Skidrow925

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 02:57 PM    Msg. 38 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: tarikja
I, personally, doubt that such a thing as the 'moon' exists in the first place!

Where do you think Cheese comes from?

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 05:09 PM    Msg. 39 of 100       
Tark you deserve an oscar and If in your lifetime you are not awarded one I will friggin model one for you.

Skidrow925

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 05:14 PM    Msg. 40 of 100       
Tark you deserve an oscar and If in your lifetime you are not awarded one I will friggin model one for you.
and in the back leo sheds a single tear

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 05:55 PM    Msg. 41 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
and in the back leo sheds a single tear

Whilst skidrow hands him his very own platinum plated M6D swegway.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 05:59 PM    Msg. 42 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
Having said that humanity seems to really only perform ouy our bests when we are busy scalping and blowing each others heads off.

To be fair, the US was fighting Russian-backed forces in Vietnam while the space race was going on.

North Vietnam was backed mostly by China not the USSR, and we didn't enter into it until 1965 three years after President Kennedy's now famous "We choose to go to the moon" speech. We were not at war when we undertook that endeavor. My point was that no civilization has done big things like that while "busy scalping and blowing each others heads off" which in my opinion is why it has taken so long to get back into space.

Edited by Dennis on Jan 24, 2016 at 06:00 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 06:18 PM    Msg. 43 of 100       

Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77

North Vietnam was backed mostly by China not the USSR, and we didn't enter into it until 1965 three years after President Kennedy's now famous "We choose to go to the moon" speech. We were not at war when we undertook that endeavor. My point was that no civilization has done big things like that while "busy scalping and blowing each others heads off" which in my opinion is why it has taken so long to get back into space.

Edited by Dennis on Jan 24, 2016 at 06:00 PM

Space exploration was a product of blowing heads off however.

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 06:40 PM    Msg. 44 of 100       
Actually, we were trying to out do Russia and decided that dropping a nuke on the moon might actually not be the best way of going about it. (Assuming I recall correctly)

Russia landed on the moon 2 weeks earlier than the Apolo 11. This doesnt make sense, my post is senselesss, my existance and presence here is senseless

Dennis

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 07:44 PM    Msg. 45 of 100       
Blowing heads off gave us the basic tools to explore space. Not the will or idea to do so.

Skidrow925

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 07:52 PM    Msg. 46 of 100       
Blowing heads off gave us the basic tools to explore space. Not the will or idea to do so.
Well, it basically started with Germany trying to blow the heads (and other parts) off the British folk without having to actually be near them to do the blowing. So, that's where the idea falls in. The cold war, while not technically blowing heads off, was basically seeing who could blow more heads off before the other could blow an equal or greater number of heads off, and in the subsequent who can blow more heads off contest, we decided that the moon looked pretty cool.

Dennis

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 08:09 PM    Msg. 47 of 100       
Well, it basically started with Germany trying to blow the heads (and other parts) off the British folk without having to actually be near them to do the blowing. So, that's where the idea falls in. The cold war, while not technically blowing heads off, was basically seeing who could blow more heads off before the other could blow an equal or greater number of heads off, and in the subsequent who can blow more heads off contest, we decided that the moon looked pretty cool.
You are missing the point. There is that saying turning "swords to plowshares" which means taking weapons made for destruction and turning them into tools of creation. The rocket program was just that. But the idea to go to space, to do something incredibly big did not come out of war it came out of the period of peace. The idea that you have to have war to be creative is false, you have to have peace to create big things. War’s purpose is destruction. It should never be desired.

sparky

Fools deceive, but knowledge of Jesus is life.

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 11:00 PM    Msg. 48 of 100       
War’s purpose is destruction.

War is the pinnacle of competition. I dislike competition because it only hinders progress. It is not the competition between companies that promotes progress, but the cooperation within a company and the desire to make progress which promote progress. Competition is pointless; cooperation, adding minds and hands to the workforce, is always superior in the realm of worldly developmental potential, as long as those hands and minds are cooperating with each other. Many hands make light work.

Skidrow925

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 11:20 PM    Msg. 49 of 100       
While I get what you mean, I have trouble getting how a complete lack of competition promotes progress. Obviously having nothing other than competition doesn't help, but I personally don't see how a utopia (for lack of a better word) can progress on the level that competition provides. (says a capitalist, so maybe that's why)

Oh and I wasn't trying to advocate war, but it does seem to catalyze ideas in a very expedient manner, and said ideas get refined when the fighting stops and all that. Hence my view on the moon being the result of a war.

On a different note, I think supes flanks had an interesting idea up there, some sort of map making competition.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 11:41 PM    Msg. 50 of 100       
While I get what you mean, I have trouble getting how a complete lack of competition promotes progress. Obviously having nothing other than competition doesn't help, but I personally don't see how a utopia (for lack of a better word) can progress on the level that competition provides. (says a capitalist, so maybe that's why)

Oh and I wasn't trying to advocate war, but it does seem to catalyze ideas in a very expedient manner, and said ideas get refined when the fighting stops and all that. Hence my view on the moon being the result of a war.

On a different note, I think supes flanks had an interesting idea up there, some sort of map making competition.

Hey a halomaps map making competition sponsered by ce3???

Pepzee

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 11:58 PM    Msg. 51 of 100       
This seems interesting so I'll jump in.

There is a difference between war and competition. War may be competition, but competition is not always war.

Perhaps under the threat of war the space race was accelerated, but not because of it.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 11:58 PM    Msg. 52 of 100       
Only halomaps takes you from a map protector to a discussion on war.

Ladies and gentlemen this is the 21st century.

Pepzee

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 12:02 AM    Msg. 53 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
Only halomaps takes you from a map protector to a discussion on war.

We play war video games here for entertainment, Halo being a great example.

Dennis

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 12:06 AM    Msg. 54 of 100       
War’s purpose is destruction.

War is the pinnacle of competition. I dislike competition because it only hinders progress.]
War is not the pinnacle of anything it is the devolution of society. It is as close to a binary function as you can get in life. You can have a little competition to create something but you can't have a little war without destruction. War and competition are not analogous.

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 01:52 AM    Msg. 55 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: t3h m00kz
take it from sparky, he knows what he's talking about. he's a navy seals military formation and strategic genius who wipes the floor with MLG world champions

although he won't 1v1 me for some odd reason

sparky

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 08:53 AM    Msg. 56 of 100       
War and competition are not analogous.

Time for the dictionary, that most defaulted reference which people cite when they are trying to defend their point because they feel they have been unclear and believe that the listener will respect that source of information, at least more than their prior words.

Competition

An event or contest in which people compete.

Compete

Strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others who are trying to do the same.

War

A state of competition, conflict, or hostility between different people or groups.

There you have it, Dennis, straight from the dictionary. That war is an extreme example of competition is why I see that antagonism in competition is the seed of violence, which when handled by untrained hearts, escalates into war.

When people are most concerned in their lives with what they can or cannot do, when they become egocentric, they also develop superiority complexes. "Us versus Them" leads to a sense of patriotism:

Patriot

A person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.

An example today can be seen in the dismay countries have of the gross development of China, who seems to be exporting poor-quality products to other countries at what appear to be cheap prices. Other countries, in their feelings of being insulted by China's presentation that they are perceived as not worth an investment of proper workmanship, may see this economic competition as a "war of attrition".

War of Attrition

A prolonged war or period of conflict during which each side seeks to gradually wear out the other by a series of small-scale actions.

That is just one example where the state of competition is perceived as fighting, due to a lack of esteem and cooperation.

Or as Jesus Christ said, "In your hearts, do not think evil of each other." Or if you are inclined to listen to Mahatma Ghandi, I'm sure he had some choice words to say about peace and cooperation.

You cannot be at peace with someone and in competition with them at the same time. That is an internal conflict which leads to hypocrisy and discontinuity because you have two distinctly opposite emotions in play towards the same perceived entity: opposition and agreement, no and yes, working against them and working with them. You cannot work against someone and work with them at the same time. Working against someone is competition and war; working with someone is cooperation and thinking the best of them. Or why would you want to compete against someone when you already think the best of them? Would it not be more productive to join them, rather than do your own thing apart from them? The only reason people distance themselves from others is because they perceive an identified conflict as irreparable. But it has been proven that there is no conflict among men that is irreparable, so it is up to each person to perceive potential as always open-ended.
Edited by sparky on Jan 25, 2016 at 09:21 AM

sparky

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 09:25 AM    Msg. 57 of 100       
you really, really, really want to be right in every discussion you have, don't you?

When you value the truth, you want to make very certain that you always have and present the most clear picture of it at all times for everyone in witness. Therefore, I have yet to meet a person who can use logic and reason to win an argument against me. But having the last word does not beget vindication with those who can think for themselves.

In the past, I have quoted this to the members of this forum. "If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand."

If the internal conflict is present in a person's motivations, that person will be divided against themselves and will not be able to stand.

If a website forum community has its members divided against themselves, that forum community will be reduced to nothing and will not grow or thrive or produce anything that would otherwise result from a cooperative environment.

If a world is divided against itself, and its countries fight each other in word or deed, that world will be worn out much more quickly than usual (read: atomic bomb) and will not be able to stand or grow.

Whereas, when people cooperate with each other, an environment suitable for growth and prosperity results, both in word and in deed.

But it was already said that henceforth, each household will be divided against itself. A sword entered the world, and it is up to each person to recognize it, and when they do, they will be at peace with each other, but not at consensus with others. That is why unity is of great value, so that the world will clearly see what is true. But when you cannot agree with someone about something, and they refuse to listen, then you get alienation and discord, and the perception of competition which can escalate into the greater woe of warfare.

Seeds grow into trees which bear more seeds. The propagation of kindness sows a seed and tree that is conducive to cooperation, even when there is a lack of consensus, and in that cooperation, you find understanding and "common ground", a common foundation upon which people can agree. And this is the proper foundation for community, not patriotism which is spawned out of fear-mongering against a "common enemy".

So what you can expect from competition is people cutting corners and not thinking critically and not thinking for themselves. History has proven that this is what happens. You see "faster results" but the results are inferior to what potential they had otherwise. If countries would have cooperated in their "space programs" rather than harbor unwarranted disdain for each other due to egoism or lacking the willingness to forgive or overlook offenses, then humanity would have done a much better job with its space program.

Now specifically to this forum thread topic, if you release your hard work to the dogs, they will tear it to shreds, because that is what dogs do. "Do not throw your pearls to pigs..." If you want to release something "good", then make sure it has a "good" environment and is resistant to "bad" handling.

That is why people protect their maps. That is why people encrypt communications over The Internet. They put locks on doors for a reason, and it is not so that you can unlock the door for anyone who just so happens to be knocking on the other side. You need to establish that the person on the other side is honest and demonstrates a proper motivation of value for decency and other good qualities. Then you can open the door for them. But if they are a stranger, do not unlock the door, or they may try to force their way inside and cause real problems for everyone inside.
Edited by sparky on Jan 25, 2016 at 09:58 AM

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 09:58 AM    Msg. 58 of 100       
I only made the program as a joke. I actually didn't expect the topic would end up quite like this lol

sparky

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 10:02 AM    Msg. 59 of 100       
002, just as AlissArcana was irresponsible with their words, so will they be irresponsible with your baby.

If you want something to change, set a new precedent for others to choose to follow if they are inclined to do so. (This is in answer to all statements and behaviors of discontent.) Then everyone will see exactly what kind of person you are.
Edited by sparky on Jan 25, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Skidrow925

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 10:17 AM    Msg. 60 of 100       
you really, really, really want to be right in every discussion you have, don't you?

Sparkys the gift that keeps on giving, huh?

Quote: --- Original message by: 002
I only made the program as a joke. I actually didn't expect the topic would end up quite like this lol

Dude. Sparky exists. Always expect something like this. Actually, regardless of sparky, this is basically what this forum does.

sparky

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 10:20 AM    Msg. 61 of 100       
Then perhaps it is time to ante up the sophistication and usefulness of the discourse on this forum.

Quote: Sparky slams his hammer down. Shards of lightning flash off his subject, flying out in directions. He wipes the sweat off his brow and gazes upon the bright metal sword on the anvil in front of him, white hot steel against the black surface. "I will see this forum to justice." He observes and awaits where to swing next.

Edited by sparky on Jan 25, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Skidrow925

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 11:11 AM    Msg. 62 of 100       

Then perhaps it is time to ante up the sophistication and usefulness of the discourse on this forum.

Quote: Sparky slams his hammer down. Shards of lightning flash off his subject, flying out in directions. He wipes the sweat off his brow and gazes upon the bright metal sword on the anvil in front of him, white hot steel against the black surface. "I will see this forum to justice." He observes and awaits where to swing next.

Edited by sparky on Jan 25, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Dude... Just... Wow...

Oh, and the reason nobody ever "wins" an argument against you, and the reason you are typically looked down upon is because you argue in circles and everyone just gives up because you are not worth the effort. At least, one of the reasons. There's more.

Dennis

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 11:53 AM    Msg. 63 of 100       

War and competition are not analogous.

Time for the dictionary,
You are floundering around the edges of the subject never seeing the actual point. In this case the theory that war is an engine of creation. You have likened it to competition so in order for your analogy to be correct competition must therefore be an engine of destruction. However it is not.

Bringing Christ or Ghandi into to the discussion just shows how far afield you have gone of the actual point.

Dennis

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 12:01 PM    Msg. 64 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Master
Dennis going off topic to talk about politics and war? I've now seen everything.
Only because of the mistaken and extremely dangerous belief that seemed to be prevalent that war should be admired or required for advancement.

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 01:18 PM    Msg. 65 of 100       
When you value the truth, you want to make very certain that you always have and present the most clear picture of it at all times for everyone in witness. Therefore, I have yet to meet a person who can use logic and reason to win an argument against me. But having the last word does not beget vindication with those who can think for themselves.

But what if you value the prerogative of the venture that is heinous to the aforementioned religion?

In the past, I have quoted this to the members of this forum. "If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand."

Yes, but if a kingdom divides itself, who can fathom the repercussions of the sophistication?

If the internal conflict is present in a person's motivations, that person will be divided against themselves and will not be able to stand.

Standing tall and proud amidst the germination process is not recommended.

Holy balls I just keep on going.

I gave up trying to use big words here.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 03:38 PM    Msg. 66 of 100       
Quote: What does it take to end a war? Warfare is nothing but a means of negotiation between state. Wars breakout even when there is no hatred. Territory, resources, or interests that you are determined to own. Ideology, religion, pride. Wars are fought over those objectives all the time. Meaning that when those objectives are met, the war will end. That or the war will end when the human cost outweighs the gains. Anger and hatred, those are nothing more than tools to tilt a war in your favor.

Conflict and competition are some of the most important forms of drive for the human race; if we all shared exact opinions, we could never advance; we would always head way to whomever first decided anything, unable to question them; the world would still be flat. Any group work people perform, even if the first idea is foolish, nobody would be allowed to challenge the idea. Without rival companies, people would have no driving force to move forward; if they have a monopoly, and people are buying their products, they will simply assume it is good enough; its when another company is attempting to surpass them, that they focus on how to surpass themselves.

Also, on this topic, and other things, people should watch both seasons of Gatchaman Crowds, as they focus on social constructs. The second season, Gatchaman Crowds Insight, covers this topic.

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 03:48 PM    Msg. 67 of 100       
OFF-TOPIC SIMULATOR 2016.

The Kingx

ᕙ༼ ಠ益ಠ༽ᕗ

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 04:17 PM    Msg. 68 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: tarikja
I, personally, doubt that such a thing as 'Sparky' exists in the first place!

I bet they're just another lie created by the Government!

And they would have gotten away with it were it not for you meddling tarks!

General_101

Apparently all I post is spam.

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 04:17 PM    Msg. 69 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
Also, on this topic, and other things, people should watch both seasons of Gatchaman Crowds, as they focus on social constructs. The second season, Gatchaman Crowds Insight, covers this topic.

Now I kinda guessed it was going to be anime. What I didn't guess was that there would be what I can only assume is a thirteen year old in a bikini on the cover art.

Japan never change.

sparky

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 08:10 PM    Msg. 70 of 100       
Dennis, I'm going to cite the divergent comment here and give some explanation about what I am saying and why it seems different from what you are saying.

Quote: --- Original message by: Donut
[...]
I used to work with a team called Sigma1337. Silly name, I know. We used to get into these heated battles with other mapping teams, trying to produce better stuff than them and guard our secrets. Figured I'd chime in on the protection discussion.

Looking back, the thing I regret most is how competitive and secretive we all were. We made enemies with people over who was making the best Halo 3 content. It was ridiculous. If I could go back and change one thing, it would be sharing new tricks and techniques with the community. The content would have been better, and everyone could have enjoyed it as a cohesive whole. Instead, we fragmented our stuff into a bunch of different, incomplete maps that never got played.
[...]

Donut says things that I remember also happening with the Mac Gaming Mods forum community: the guarding of esoteric information. In the MGM forum, bloodgulch.map file offset values were kept secret, and there was this kind of absurd non-disclosure about map file offsets, as people were so afraid of the possibility of what might happen were people to suddenly learn the nature of game file data.

Donut cites feelings of competition between content authors. He recounts that enemies were made instead of friends. And the results of making enemies were "incomplete maps that never got played". When the present competitive and secretive mentality prevails, no progress can be made, just like no progress was made in this example. Frankly, competition distracts a person from focusing on creative improvement.

"Competition" that I mean is the same competition that was mentioned, the competition of warring countries, of competing peoples, that emotion that sees the other person as evil. Not only does this infatuating superiority complex distract one from superior productivity, but furthermore, antagonism only causes environments detrimental to potential. I mean, the whole act of one person killing another person is the most common element of war, and the competition factor of one person seeing another person as an enemy is exactly according to the heart of a person who murders.

"Competition" that you mean, I suspect, is friendly competition: trying to improve oneself to match or best another person or situation. But that is also egocentric and leads to shortcuts (read: steroids in sports) and other unwise (read: not ideal) decisions, because people become SO DISTRACTED by the competition they have embraced, that they are no longer focusing on obtaining the best possible result, which quite frankly, would be easier to obtain were they to work cooperatively with the person against whom they are competing.

Enter the modding scene: people keep to themselves and do not share ideas or projects out of fear of loss. How is that an environment suitable to development? Or what value is there in being a part of a community when people do not commune with each other?

It is OK to keep and guard secrets. But when the information has the greater potential to help than to harm, guarding that secret looks like greed.

Edited by sparky on Jan 25, 2016 at 08:16 PM

Ideas grow a lot faster and better when you discuss them with people than when you do not have anyone with whom to discuss them. Hence, the discussion forum.
Edited by sparky on Jan 25, 2016 at 08:22 PM

So regarding "competition is not an engine of destruction", I mean that the egocentric antagonism within a competitive mood is what entertains destruction more than progress, as one person entertains thoughts of harming the other as a result of them wanting to feel superior. At the heart of it, that is what all perceptions of conflict are: one person seeking to honor themselves at the expense of another. (note John 7:18).

But anyway, working with other people is more fun than working alone. And I think the gamers here would respond well to that point. As for me, I do not enjoy playing games by myself, and quickly feel bored. But the reason people keep making maps for this game is because there is a community of other people with whom they can share it. It is a social thing, and as you can see with Facebook, social things are "fun".
Edited by sparky on Jan 25, 2016 at 08:29 PM
Edited by sparky on Jan 25, 2016 at 08:36 PM

Page 2 of 3 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu March 21, 2019 8:58 PM 406 ms.
A Halo Maps Website