A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Smoke Screen Map Protector

Page 3 of 3 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · Prev
Author Topic: Smoke Screen Map Protector (100 messages, Page 3 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

Wolf_

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 08:42 PM    Msg. 71 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
Quote: What does it take to end a war? Warfare is nothing but a means of negotiation between state. Wars breakout even when there is no hatred. Territory, resources, or interests that you are determined to own. Ideology, religion, pride. Wars are fought over those objectives all the time. Meaning that when those objectives are met, the war will end. That or the war will end when the human cost outweighs the gains. Anger and hatred, those are nothing more than tools to tilt a war in your favor.

Conflict and competition are some of the most important forms of drive for the human race; if we all shared exact opinions, we could never advance; we would always head way to whomever first decided anything, unable to question them; the world would still be flat. Any group work people perform, even if the first idea is foolish, nobody would be allowed to challenge the idea. Without rival companies, people would have no driving force to move forward; if they have a monopoly, and people are buying their products, they will simply assume it is good enough; its when another company is attempting to surpass them, that they focus on how to surpass themselves.

Also, on this topic, and other things, people should watch both seasons of Gatchaman Crowds, as they focus on social constructs. The second season, Gatchaman Crowds Insight, covers this topic.
This actually depends on which social psychological teachings you follow. Some would state soci-economic factors to be the most important drive for the human race, some would say psycho-sexual drives are the most important. However, there are 6 or so needs (drives) that all humans share. Such as certainty, significans, variety, connection, growth and contribution. (You could google it). What you are talking about is however true, the continued questioning of what we know. Maybe not in the sense of conflict, since conflict is a part of the human flaw.

/My teachers love Sigmund Freud. I'm out.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 09:37 PM    Msg. 72 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

Dennis, I'm going to cite the divergent comment here and give some explanation about what I am saying and why it seems different from what you are saying.

Your condescending notwithstanding, the question here is not semantic. Your word salad obscures any actual point and is basically meaningless. The theory that was posited is that war is a requirement for creation. War is not. It is in fact a driver of destruction. You contend that completion is the same as war.

Competition can lead to war. It can also lead to discovery and creation, therefore it is not analogous to war which only leads to destruction. They are different and not analogues.

The actual point here, before you interjected all your nonsense, is simple: War is bad. War should not be admired and should not be desired for any reason. Especially if you want society to create big things.

Halonimator

https://imgur.com/ZBjOJ4L

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 10:02 PM    Msg. 73 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

Dennis, I'm going to cite the divergent comment here and give some explanation about what I am saying and why it seems different from what you are saying.

Your condescending notwithstanding, the question here is not semantic. Your word salad obscures any actual point and is basically meaningless. The theory that was posited is that war is a requirement for creation. War is not. It is in fact a driver of destruction. You contend that completion is the same as war.

Competition can lead to war. It can also lead to discovery and creation, therefore it is not analogous to war which only leads to destruction. They are different and not analogues.

The actual point here, before you interjected all your nonsense, is simple: War is bad. War should not be admired and should not be desired for any reason. Especially if you want society to create big things.

I disagree with you
without war, people would become selfish like someone!
Edited by Halonimator on Jan 25, 2016 at 10:20 PM

The Sun

I will never understand this place. Oh well.

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 11:13 PM    Msg. 74 of 100       
3 Years later and the forum is debating the implications of war rather than fighting over tags, maps and ripped stuff like schoolboys? Man this place has grown.

Allow me to add to this word salad ( xD ) by clarifying:

Dennis is basically trying to dispel the notion of "war" leading to anything productive, no matter how it may seem in real life.

Sparky is saying that competition creates a natural feeling of wanting to be "superior" over their competing peers, which leads to bitterness, which leads to fighting and resentment, which hinders any kind of progress either team would've made.

on a side note, these arguments are fairly entertaining. They always have been. One of the few reasons I still log in here.

I'm done. Time to sleep for 3 more years *flies off

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 12:30 AM    Msg. 75 of 100       
War.
War never changes.

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 12:46 AM    Msg. 76 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
War.
War never changes.

Or does it?
The war has changed.
Or did it?

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 01:25 AM    Msg. 77 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
War.
War never changes.

Or does it?
The war has changed.
Or did it?

I will never give nuclear missile bomb to you!

Mootjuh

Hilariously derailing oneliner

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 01:41 AM    Msg. 78 of 100       
So when I play soccer with my friend am I at war with him because we're competitive and trying to best eachother?

#Logic

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 06:53 AM    Msg. 79 of 100       
idk

Wolf_

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 07:46 AM    Msg. 80 of 100       
War, huh, What is it good it for?

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 10:56 AM    Msg. 81 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
So when I play football with my friend am I at war with him because we're competitive and trying to best eachother?

#Logic

FTFY.

The Kingx

ᕙ༼ ಠ益ಠ༽ᕗ

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 12:01 PM    Msg. 82 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: Wolf_

Absolutley nothing!

well actually it might be good depending on the scenario and viewpoint and i guess it differs based on your opinion idk im not an expert on these things please dont sue me

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 12:03 PM    Msg. 83 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Kingx
Quote: --- Original message by: Wolf_

Absolutley nothing!

well actually it might be good depending on the scenario and viewpoint and i guess it differs based on your opinion idk im not an expert on these things please dont sue me

We literally JUST WENT OVER THIS

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 12:14 PM    Msg. 84 of 100       
hey fek your sheit

war is good

i need this job

sparky

Dismissal of Truth leaves one to believe lies

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 01:39 PM    Msg. 85 of 100       
This is foofaraw, because if a blind man leads a blind man, both men will fall into a pit.

NeX

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 02:07 PM    Msg. 86 of 100       
It's like that piece of plastic wrapping that clings to your hand with static, and no matter how hard you shake to get it to fall into the trash, it just keeps hanging on. Even if you manage to shake it loose, it winds up drawn to your hand again.

Then other times, it willfully leaps into the trash and stays there for a while, and great relief is had. A short lived joy, however, for it will inexorably force itself upon you once again, climbing it's way out of the trash and into your life again, and again, and again.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 02:38 PM    Msg. 87 of 100       
Dammit I got to around half of this thread then my battery died.

sparky

Dismissal of Truth leaves one to believe lies

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 05:25 PM    Msg. 88 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Your condescending notwithstanding[...]

I cannot control someone's interpretation of my words or their mindset providing a context for my words when they read them. I try to be helpful by providing true and pertinent statements. If you do not perceive my words as insightful, as I had intended them to be, then I have miscommunicated. I intend hopeful insight rather than offensive insult. I apologize for being ineffective with communication skills; so I will depart from this discussion. Thank you for your tolerance among my miscommunications.

NeX

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 05:41 PM    Msg. 89 of 100       
so I will depart from this discussion.

:D

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 05:41 PM    Msg. 90 of 100       
I think mookz has a good point, Sparky, if not already, you should become a writer.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 05:42 PM    Msg. 91 of 100       
I think mookz has a good point, Sparky, if not already, you should become a writer.

Yeah and take me up on my age old request to transcribe the Black arts of halo mods into ebook form.

K thnx.

NeX

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 06:22 PM    Msg. 92 of 100       

Narcissism and its Compounding Effects on Dunning–Kruger: an Autobiography

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 09:42 PM    Msg. 93 of 100       
I cannot control someone's interpretation of my words
The primary goal of communication is to control the interpretation of your words. Trying to impress people with the volume of them for their own sake sends a message different from the point of the conversation.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 10:18 PM    Msg. 94 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: NeX

I actually lol'd

not giraffe

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 10:47 PM    Msg. 95 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: NeX

I don't quite agree. I don't believe he is a narcissist. As for his ability, I have yet to determine whether it is adequate enough for him to make his ambitions a reality. This is mainly because he seems preoccupied with overbearing his ideals and religious beliefs upon us.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Jan 28, 2016 10:16 PM    Msg. 96 of 100       
Awww discussions about map protections.. so 2008. Things don't change... wait Dennis is arguing with someone? That's change.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 02:12 PM    Msg. 97 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: OpsY
Awww discussions about map protections.. so 2008. Things don't change... wait Dennis is arguing with someone? That's change.

Its not an argument its a conversation.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 03:00 PM    Msg. 98 of 100       
Quote: --- Original message by: t3h m00kz
"debate" would be a better word, I'd say

Yeah what he said

not giraffe

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 03:12 PM    Msg. 99 of 100       
"debate" would be a better word, I'd say

There is no debate without arguments.

not giraffe

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 04:52 PM    Msg. 100 of 100       
im about to argue my hand upside your head

That argument hurt both my ego and my head.

Page 3 of 3 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · Prev

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri May 24, 2019 6:12 PM 375 ms.
A Halo Maps Website