A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »HELP Tool.exe Won't Work!

Author Topic: HELP Tool.exe Won't Work! (23 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Posted: Feb 27, 2016 10:36 PM    Msg. 1 of 23       
I CANT MAKE THE .scenario_structure_bsp using tool.exe I have the correct file structure
of C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\data\levels\map\models\map.jms
and I think I modeled the map right and I followed these two tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYpDmCNj3aE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGJnE3hcThg
and I used the halo pc editing reference
and I made a shortcutt to the CMD and put it in my Halo Custom Edition folder and made it start from there like in the video and I even tried running tool as administrator
the map has no errors because the console does not list any but it says something about shaders and you have to pick one but I just exit out of it and do it again and the message goes way
I use the command "tool structure levels\map map" and when it finishes there is no .scenario_structure_bsp in the data\levels\map\models\ folder.

PLEASE REPLY TO MY THREAD AND TELL ME HOW TO FIX IT

I used chimp 1.6 with Gmax

This is the map I made:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B82jdXA40ETQOWtiVndQZ2QwZ1E/view?usp=sharing

I Evan Tried it with the tutorial map in the halo pc editing reference at:
http://hce.halomaps.org/hek/index.html?start=references/level_design/mp_level_design/mp_ld_level_compilation.html

and did tool.exe structure levels\test\tutorial tutorial

but I could not find the .scenario_structure_bsp file in the Halo Custom Edition folder.
Edited by 789 on Feb 27, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Tnnaas

Venez voir maman. Avatar credit: kevinsano

Posted: Feb 27, 2016 11:56 PM    Msg. 2 of 23       
Looking at the CMD.jpg you provided, it would appear that your bsp was created.

Quote: --- Original message by: 789
I use the command "tool structure levels\map map" and when it finishes there is no .scenario_structure_bsp in the data\levels\map\models\ folder.

Did you check \Halo Custom Edition\tags\levels\map ?
Compiled tags aren't placed into the data folder.

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 12:38 AM    Msg. 3 of 23       

I did a whole computer search for it and I found it inside of:
C:\Users\789\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\tags\levels\map

so I moved it to the: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\data\levels\map folder but was un-able to open it in Guerilla

so I had to move it too the tags folder and I was able too open it in Guerilla
I then set the sky box and starting player weapons.

and then I had to move it back to the dat\levels\map folder so I could do:
tool lightmaps levels\map\map map 0 0.9

for this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpqtqRonEg4
and then after that I moved it back to tags and opened it up with Sapian but in the 3D game view I could not find my map
Edited by 789 on Feb 28, 2016 at 02:22 AM
Edited by 789 on Feb 28, 2016 at 02:34 AM

DOOM899

{DM} [gamesmaster] if i can ill help maybe

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 04:53 AM    Msg. 4 of 23       
So im guessing you got win 10?

Anyway to see your map all you need do is run radiosity, in sapien
Like so ( rediosity_quality 0) you can put it as 1 than 0, but this will take a while so keep it as 0
then after it's done type radiosity save
Hope that helps

Edited by DOOM899 on Feb 28, 2016 at 04:59 AM

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 02:28 PM    Msg. 5 of 23       
THANK YOU DOOM899 it worked! at first I could only see my skybox but now I can see my whole map
but it does not have the textures I made for it
Edited by 789 on Feb 28, 2016 at 02:42 PM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 02:39 PM    Msg. 6 of 23       
That's the pc lockout approach run radiosity in tool if you still prefer to use your pc whilst running another process.

Tool lightmaps levels\test\ur_map\ur_map ur_map 0 0.9

Bear in mind that you would be running basic and not full lighting on your map.

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 03:13 PM    Msg. 7 of 23       
In all the videos when they are in the CMD using tool they do it from the levels folder
but sapian and guerilla only work if they are in the tag folder

I finial did the tool build-cache-file levels\try3 try3
after using Sapian and I got my .map file and I put in the map folder but when I enter the game and try to play it my game closes and get the gathering exception data error
Edited by 789 on Feb 28, 2016 at 03:25 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 04:05 PM    Msg. 8 of 23       

In all the videos when they are in the CMD using tool they do it from the levels folder
but sapian and guerilla only work if they are in the tag folder

I finial did the tool build-cache-file levels\try3 try3
after using Sapian and I got my .map file and I put in the map folder but when I enter the game and try to play it my game closes and get the gathering exception data error
Edited by 789 on Feb 28, 2016 at 03:25 PM

Whether you use data\levels\test or just the data\levels is entirely up to you.

Gathering exception data is usually an ode to an error or multiple errors you have committed to your project, it could be something as simple as an incorrect field you have may have filled out in guerilla or something more serious.

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 04:18 PM    Msg. 9 of 23       
No I mean in how in the videos when using Guerilla or Sapian they edit the map from data/levels
but when I try to it gives me the Error "Couldn't read map file ./guerillabeta.map
you need to set your working directory"

and it only works if I try to open it from the tags folder. but in the video he just leaves it in the levels folder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpqtqRonEg4

And when I saw my map in Sapian it's textures where gone that I had applied in Gmax
Edited by 789 on Feb 28, 2016 at 05:47 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 06:06 PM    Msg. 10 of 23       

No I mean in how in the videos when using Guerilla or Sapian they edit the map from data/levels
but when I try to it gives me the Error "Couldn't read map file ./guerillabeta.map
you need to set your working directory"

and it only works if I try to open it from the tags folder. but in the video he just leaves it in the levels folder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpqtqRonEg4

And when I saw my map in Sapian it's textures where gone that I had applied in Gmax
Edited by 789 on Feb 28, 2016 at 05:47 PM

You must have misinterpreted the video some how.

Guerilla and sapien can only ever edit tag files located within the tags directory.

To clarify the data folder corresponds to items of your project which maybe edited purely outside of the engine.

This includes: textures/models/text data. Or "project art".

The tags folder contains halo game files or "tags" which are designed to be manipulated via sapien,guerilla or tool.

If you read the official hek tutorial which is mandantorily installed with the hek all of the above will have be explained and more.

It will be located within your halo root directory or you may find the online copy here.

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 06:39 PM    Msg. 11 of 23       
do you need to keep your textures in the bitmaps folder with the models folder in order for your map to be textured?

DOOM899

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 06:41 PM    Msg. 12 of 23       

THANK YOU DOOM899 it worked! at first I could only see my skybox but now I can see my whole map
but it does not have the textures I made for it
Edited by 789 on Feb 28, 2016 at 02:42 PM
no problem mate.
Now for the Shaders did you look in them? There is where you put your textures.
Open up your map in gorilla and look for Shaders in the structure. Hope this helps

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 29, 2016 08:19 AM    Msg. 13 of 23       
Read this first

And if your not qualified to help, stay quiet. Otherwise you run the risk of convoluting the matter entirely.
Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 29, 2016 at 08:42 AM

Posted: Feb 29, 2016 05:59 PM    Msg. 14 of 23       
? I can't find the Shaders section in Guerilla

Edited by 789 on Feb 29, 2016 at 06:00 PM

DOOM899

Posted: Feb 29, 2016 06:40 PM    Msg. 15 of 23       

? I can't find the Shaders section in Guerilla

Edited by 789 on Feb 29, 2016 at 06:00 PM
open up your scenario with gorilla,
Then scroll down to structure bsps then open it up,
Go down to collision material then you will see your shders.

Posted: Mar 1, 2016 09:21 PM    Msg. 16 of 23       
Wait I still don't get it -is this for importing textures to the map or just fixing some options so that they will appear?
Edited by 789 on Mar 1, 2016 at 09:57 PM

DOOM899

Posted: Mar 5, 2016 06:33 PM    Msg. 17 of 23       

Wait I still don't get it -is this for importing textures to the map or just fixing some options so that they will appear?
Edited by 789 on Mar 1, 2016 at 09:57 PM
look at my 2nd post.

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 05:17 AM    Msg. 18 of 23       
Ok its been 3 years, and I'v learned how to actually 3D model,

so I used ghosts Bluesteak JMS exporter which says it works better than chimp.
but upon opening it in notepad I noticed there were not texture paths for the materials.
so I manually put them, but I'm still having trouble getting the BSP, even with Tool++

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pg5BvsebSJhBoMJmaqZ_r_15eTGRyS0j

I zipped my files, if someone would please take a quick look; thanks!

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 09:13 AM    Msg. 19 of 23       
It sounds like you didn't have shaders setup properly before you compiled with Tool, so Tool made them for you;

You have to create shaders in guerilla or use stock shaders. Then in 3DS max, the name of the sub material inside the multi-material needs to match the shader's name. You dont NEED to setup bitmaps in 3DS, it's for your viewing convenience.

If you compile a JMS with shaders that dont have matching names, tool will say "Hey man, what kind of shader is smooth_stone? [1]shader envirornment [2]shader model "...etc.

Then tool creates a blank shader, places it directly in TAGS and references it in your new BSP. You probably don't want that, so if all your shaders are directly in your TAGS folder, move them to a subfolder, delete your BSP and recompile it. Now Tool should automagically re-reference to where you moved the shaders and be all set.

Now, with that part out of the way, you didn't actually say what went wrong. What does "I'm still having trouble getting the BSP" mean?

Getting the BSP....Exported from 3DS max? Compiled in Tool? Opening in Sapien?

Edit;

Also, bluestreak was fantastic in like '09. Use either

Junglegym (Depending on your version of 3DS)

or

Bobbysoon's 1.04E JMS Exporter

The 1.04E supports modifiers, editable polys, marker sizes and more.
Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 1, 2019 at 09:17 AM

Posted: Feb 2, 2019 01:53 AM    Msg. 20 of 23       
Thank you for the help!

so I have read the mateiral overview on the halo pc editing reference
trying to figure out what you mean
shaders and materials are like the same thing????

so you don't texture in gmax you just set what kinds of surfaced you want like .shader_environment or ground and +sky, than in gorilla you apply the textures?
or is it all by the texture file name like "b40_cliff_snow" I see in the tutorial test.jms the only words hinting to the surface property is the ending _ground.
the bitmap is different from the .tif? and is made by compiling the bitmap tif containing folder with Tool++
I found your fudd tool, while sarching for answers but it only works with 3Ds max?

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 2, 2019 11:46 AM    Msg. 21 of 23       
See how all your materials are named Ground? That's wrong.

Each material needs it's own name. Ground should be for the grass and dirt, a single special bitmap is used for this. You might name another flat_metal. Another might be sidewalk_concrete. The point is you name each material in GMAX the same as the shader you make in Guerilla.

Let's take a step back.

GMAX has materials. These are edited in GMAX and seen in the viewport. At no point are these materials ever used by Halo. When you export the shaders using to a JMS file, using ANY exporter, the exporter writes model data and the NAMES of the materials. When you compile the JMS with Tool.exe, it reads the NAMES and tries to find a shader with the same name in your TAGS folder.

A shader is for Halo. Made by guerilla, there's many different kinds. They almost all reference at least 1 bitmap. They also contain some data about reflections.

A bitmap is a 2-dimensional image that contains pixel data, usually used to add visual details to a 3-dimensional model (Diffuse Maps), sometimes used to modulate lighting or reflective properties of a 3-dimensional model (Specular or Multipurpose maps).

So when you create a material in GMAX, it's material name (Ground) needs to be the same as the shader you made in Guerilla. If you don't mind using the same shaders Bungie used, you can name your GMAX materials after them and you won't have to make new shaders. Bungie's shaders are in TAGS\levels\a10 a30 b30 b40 etc.

The only reason to setup materials in GMAX is so you can see them in GMAX. Those materials have no effect on the end result in Halo.

Also, special note since I notice you're using a sky bitmap. When you name a material +sky, Tool automagically converts those faces into the skybox. So you know how in Halo, you can sometimes get outside a level and walk ontop of invisible geometry and see the sky? Anything you name +sky becomes that invisible geometry. You'll have to use an existing sky tag, so that easter island bitmap you selected won't be displayed.

Edit: Also the Fudd tool is based off of Bluestreak, however I removed all code related to the listener. Since GMAX doesn't allow you to export data directly, and you had to copy/paste from the listener, this makes it incompatible with GMAX. Unless GMAX has been updated since '09 to allow for exporting via Maxscript
Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 2, 2019 at 11:48 AM

Posted: Feb 3, 2019 02:04 AM    Msg. 22 of 23       
THANK YOU!!!! I finnallyyy got it too compile!!!!
sortaaaa..... but geometry problems aside its working!

I ran Tool++ to make the bitmaps from the .tiff textures

and it put them in the tags/levels mymap folder

Than created the shaders and put them in tags/levels mymap folder

and set the materials to be the same names as the shaders which link to the bitmaps which are my textures

and now the only thing left for me to do is to learn how to 3D model! better and fix my errors.

Edited by 789 on Feb 3, 2019 at 04:11 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 3, 2019 02:52 PM    Msg. 23 of 23       
If you haven't already you should check your PMs

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed April 24, 2019 1:08 AM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website