A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Windows 10 Update KB3140743 Breaks Xbox One Controller Support

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Windows 10 Update KB3140743 Breaks Xbox One Controller Support (52 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 07:06 PM    Msg. 1 of 52       
Hey guys,

Just ran into a frustrating issue with a new Windows 10 Update. It appears to break Xbox One controller support in Halo Custom Edition. Here are my findings:

Problem: Windows Update KB3140743 (Windows 10) breaks controller functionality in Halo Custom Edition.

Conditions:

• If controller is plugged in and gamepad support is enabled (-nojoystick is NOT used in shortcut target line), no input is detected from either the controller or mouse upon launching the game. In order to get mouse/keyboard working again, simply alt+tab out and return to the game.

• In Halo's "Gamepad" settings, when the Xbox One Controller is moved from "Available Devices" to "Devices in Profile", all input is disabled and can't be restored using the alt+tab trick.

Temporary workaround: Uninstall update KB3140743

• Open the Windows Update App: Win+S > "Update" > Enter

• In the Windows Update section, click Advanced Options

• In Advanced Options, click "View your update history"

• In View Your Update History, click "Uninstall Updates"

• In Uninstall an Update, select KB3140743 and click the Uninstall button. You will be prompted to restart your PC.

At a glance the update does not appear to have affected the Xbox One controller's driver files.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

UPDATE:

Alright problem solved.

You weren't completely off about the driver thing, but it's a little more tricky than that.

If you are using Windows 10 default drivers for you Xbox One controller, that's what's been broken by update KB3140743.

Solution:

Download old drivers from here: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/search.aspx?q=xbox%20one%20controller. You'll need to use Internet Explorer to access that link. Make sure you download the second one in the list (filesize 1.5 MB).

Extract the downloaded .cab file into a folder of your choice.

Go to Device Manager and scroll down to the Xbox Peripherals section. If you're using default drivers, the device is named "Xbox Controller". Right-click > Update Driver Software... > Browse my computer... > Let me pick... > Have Disk... > Browse... > Navigate to the folder where you extracted the driver package and select xb1usb.inf. You should now see "Microsoft Xbox One Controller" listed in the Model column. Select it and click Next.

Let the driver install. Your controller may or may not give a rumble of approval. To verify that it installed correctly, look in Device Manager in the Xbox Peripherals sections. Your controller should now be named Microsoft Xbox One Controller instead of Xbox Controller.

Launch Halo and test

The first time I tried this fix, I had to unplug/replug the controller.

NOTE: I'm not sure if Windows 10 will try to update the driver automatically. Just to be sure, I unchecked "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" in the "Check for Updates" app's Advanced Settings.

ALSO: I'm not sure if this old driver will cause problems with Windows 10 apps (ex: Xbox App, Windows 10 games purchased through the Windows Store). Not sure if the headset will work with this driver either.
Edited by stunt_man on Mar 6, 2016 at 02:22 PM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 07:11 PM    Msg. 2 of 52       
Open Device Manager
Right Click "Xbox One Controller"
Select Update Driver Software
Browse on my PC
Let me pick from a list
"Microsoft Xbox One Controller"

The "Xbox One Controller" driver doesn't work, but the "Microsoft Xbox One Controller" does.

Edited by Super Flanker on Mar 2, 2016 at 07:15 PM

stunt_man

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 07:16 PM    Msg. 3 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

Open Device Manager
Browse on my PC
Let me pick from a list

The "Xbox One Controller" driver doesn't work, but the "Microsoft Xbox One Controller" does.

Are you running Windows 10? I don't have that driver as a selection when I use "Choose from List..."

And yes I unchecked "Show Compatible Devices"

Also the Xbox One controller drivers can't be downloaded manually for Windows 10. They come as part of the OS or something like that.
Edited by stunt_man on Mar 2, 2016 at 07:17 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 07:19 PM    Msg. 4 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: stunt_man

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

Open Device Manager
Browse on my PC
Let me pick from a list

Are you running Windows 10? I don't have that driver as a selection when I use "Choose from List..."

And yes I unchecked "Show Compatible Devices"

Also the Xbox One controller drivers can't be downloaded manually for Windows 10. They come as part of the OS or something like that.
Edited by stunt_man on Mar 2, 2016 at 07:17 PM

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/accessories/connect-xbox-one-controller-to-pc

It might say you already have this installed. But ignore ms and install it anyway.

stunt_man

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 07:26 PM    Msg. 5 of 52       
I've tried all these basic troubleshooting procedures, including (but not limited to):

• Using Device Manager to uninstall/reinstall drivers

• Manually removing the driver files and letting Windows reinstall them automatically

• Re-calibrating the gamepad in Devices & Printers

This does NOT appear to be a driver-related issue, but rather an XInput issue. See this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/271590/discussions/0/405693392905414098/#c405693392906330374

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 07:27 PM    Msg. 6 of 52       
I've tried all these basic troubleshooting procedures, including (but not limited to):

• Using Device Manager to uninstall/reinstall drivers

• Manually removing the driver files and letting Windows reinstall them automatically

• Re-calibrating the gamepad in Devices & Printers

This does NOT appear to be a driver-related issue, but rather an XInput issue. See this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/271590/discussions/0/405693392905414098/#c405693392906330374

Eh well it works for some and not others.

Try writing to ms?

Yes I know..but they really do seem to listen to ppl.

stunt_man

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 08:21 PM    Msg. 7 of 52       
Alright problem solved.

You weren't completely off about the driver thing, but it's a little more tricky than that.

If you are using Windows 10 default drivers for you Xbox One controller, that's what's been broken by update KB3140743.

Solution:

• Download old drivers from here: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/search.aspx?q=xbox%20one%20controller. You'll need to use Internet Explorer to access that link. Make sure you download the second one in the list (filesize 1.5 MB).

• Extract the downloaded .cab file into a folder of your choice.

• Go to Device Manager and scroll down to the Xbox Peripherals section. If you're using default drivers, the device is named "Xbox Controller". Right-click > Update Driver Software... > Browse my computer... > Let me pick... > Have Disk... > Browse... > Navigate to the folder where you extracted the driver package and select xb1usb.inf. You should now see "Microsoft Xbox One Controller" listed in the Model column. Select it and click Next.

• Let the driver install. Your controller may or may not give a rumble of approval. To verify that it installed correctly, look in Device Manager in the Xbox Peripherals sections. Your controller should now be named Microsoft Xbox One Controller instead of Xbox Controller.

• Launch Halo and test

The first time I tried this fix, I had to unplug/replug the controller.

NOTE: I'm not sure if Windows 10 will try to update the driver automatically. Just to be sure, I unchecked "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" in the "Check for Updates" app's Advanced Settings.

ALSO: I'm not sure if this old driver will cause problems with Windows 10 apps (ex: Xbox App, Windows 10 games purchased through the Windows Store). Not sure if the headset will work with this driver either.

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 3, 2016 12:43 PM    Msg. 8 of 52       
- helpful stuffs -

Good work!

surfero29

Posted: Mar 5, 2016 12:57 AM    Msg. 9 of 52       
hello had the same controller problem but am not playing halo. i noticed that my games would all run fine except the ones linked to uplay. when i open uplay i can turn on my controller no problem but as soon as i unplug it (wired or wireless) the whole computer crashes and when i move the mouse i hear a beeping sound. any ideas for fixing this? i already applied the fix mentioned above but uplay still makes pc crash

---------------------------------

ok uplay problem solved. ur solution works for wired xbox one controller. still crashes if i play wireless with the official xbox adapter. any ides there are older versions of the adapter software?
Edited by surfero29 on Mar 5, 2016 at 11:48 AM

DOOM899

{DM} [gamesmaster] if i can ill help maybe

Posted: Mar 5, 2016 06:39 PM    Msg. 10 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: surfero29

hello had the same controller problem but am not playing halo. i noticed that my games would all run fine except the ones linked to uplay. when i open uplay i can turn on my controller no problem but as soon as i unplug it (wired or wireless) the whole computer crashes and when i move the mouse i hear a beeping sound. any ideas for fixing this? i already applied the fix mentioned above but uplay still makes pc crash

---------------------------------

ok uplay problem solved. ur solution works for wired xbox one controller. still crashes if i play wireless with the official xbox adapter. any ides there are older versions of the adapter software?
Edited by surfero29 on Mar 5, 2016 at 11:48 AM
win 10 is the most retreded thing ms ever made, your going to find more than just errors and problems and programs missing all been deleted mysteriously or files that have been taken away.

And the updates will remove software and add ads spyware Windows 10 is a virus
Edited by DOOM899 on Mar 5, 2016 at 06:42 PM

not giraffe

Posted: Mar 5, 2016 07:40 PM    Msg. 11 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: DOOM899
win 10 is the most retreded thing ms ever made, your going to find more than just errors and problems and programs missing all been deleted mysteriously or files that have been taken away.

Just when I think you can't get any dumber, you continue to amaze me.

DOOM899

Posted: Mar 5, 2016 08:33 PM    Msg. 12 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: raffgie

you must be using win 10,
So that makes you dumber them me, win 10 is a virus Google it mate,
O and to boot when they Force updates on you they turn whatever you turned off back on, and too add they use your camera to spy on you if you have one on your PC. Win 10 is bull s

not giraffe

Posted: Mar 5, 2016 08:40 PM    Msg. 13 of 52       

O and to boot when they Force updates on you they turn whatever you turned off back on, and too add they use your camera to spy on you if you have one on your PC. Win 10 is bull s

Actually, I'm using Windows 7. That aside, please continue making your paranoid assumptions. It keeps me thoroughly entertained.

DOOM899

Posted: Mar 5, 2016 08:59 PM    Msg. 14 of 52       

Actually, I'm using Windows 7. That aside, please continue making your paranoid assumptions. It keeps me thoroughly entertained.
they're not paranoid these assumptions are real not fake.
Example just last week my mate got a pc using Windows ten now he found it odd that his camera kept turning on and off even though he was never using it! Then he looked it up win 10 is spying on him,

I have read all over the Internet about files being deleted things been turned off and on, without the user knowledge, so calling me paranoid goes way too far

O and they will force you to use Windows 10, well that is if you updates , all this is back by info so this is no joke
Edited by DOOM899 on Mar 5, 2016 at 09:00 PM

tajtaja

Posted: Mar 6, 2016 09:35 AM    Msg. 15 of 52       
Dear Stunt man
Thanks for help to solve problem with MS update and XBox one controller.
I use controller on trackmania game portal. It helps me to relax.
I suppose i am not only one to whom you saved time, so you can be freely hero almost for one day.
Best regards
Mitja

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 6, 2016 11:55 AM    Msg. 16 of 52       
Actually, I'm using Windows 7.

surfero29

Posted: Mar 6, 2016 07:59 PM    Msg. 17 of 52       
ok besides all these assumptions about Microsoft spying on us. any updates about the wireless adapter? lol

oh and thx for fix. u sure saved every1 lots of time
Edited by surfero29 on Mar 6, 2016 at 08:00 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 7, 2016 03:47 AM    Msg. 18 of 52       
Most of the trouble seems to be because of dxt12 game support.

Still sucks though.

Oskarmandude

Make Halomaps Fully Hectic Again

Posted: Mar 7, 2016 05:04 AM    Msg. 19 of 52       
>windows 10

Docer

Posted: Mar 7, 2016 12:14 PM    Msg. 20 of 52       
I'm using it with Windows 8 and works fine but I don't like to play HCE with controller I just use it to play adventure games.

DOOM899

Posted: Mar 11, 2016 07:51 AM    Msg. 21 of 52       

ok besides all these assumptions about Microsoft spying on us. any updates about the wireless adapter? lol

assumptions HA
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/09/windows-10-data-tracking-spying-levels/#79eb2fef7aa9 ,kids today just don't even know that there using.

win 7 is the best
Edited by DOOM899 on Mar 11, 2016 at 07:51 AM

not giraffe

Posted: Mar 11, 2016 08:20 AM    Msg. 22 of 52       
Should we also wear a tin foil hat?

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 11, 2016 10:36 AM    Msg. 23 of 52       
Should we also wear a tin foil hat?

Only if you can't get girlfriends and you belong to a secret society.

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Mar 11, 2016 03:56 PM    Msg. 24 of 52       

assumptions HA
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/09/windows-10-data-tracking-spying-levels/#79eb2fef7aa9 ,kids today just don't even know that there using.

win 7 is the best

You do know Win7 also does data collection on you right? and so does the browser you are using to access this forum? And your ISP does too?
Ignit.

DOOM899

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 04:47 AM    Msg. 25 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch

assumptions HA

win 7 is the best

You do know Win7 also does data collection on you right? and so does the browser you are using to access this forum? And your ISP does too?
Ignit.
yes I do know, however win 10 is worse much worse,
but even halo maps will collect data, but they !MS! SELLS YOUR DATA.
but all im is, saying you lot know im not lying, these are not paranoid or assumptions.

to boot win 7 no longer updates, as I had to do a format, as long as we keep using,
win 7 then maybe MS WILL do WIN 7.2

it's more then just spyware, however you'll have to look that for your self .
Edited by DOOM899 on Mar 12, 2016 at 04:49 AM

not giraffe

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 04:57 AM    Msg. 26 of 52       
these are not paranoid or assumptions

Hmm...

your going to find more than just errors and problems and programs missing all been deleted mysteriously or files that have been taken away.

win 10 is a virus

they use your camera to spy on you if you have one on your PC

DOOM899

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 06:06 AM    Msg. 27 of 52       
these are not paranoid or assumptions

Hmm...

your going to find more than just errors and problems and programs missing all been deleted mysteriously or files that have been taken away.

win 10 is a virus

they use your camera to spy on you if you have one on your PC
1.Privacy
well this is why more will not get win 10.

that and what is the point of having no, what that word ahh that's it control, having control is why I use win 7 not win 10.

that and most old games may not run on win 10, or be uninstalled by win 10 updates.

I could go on and on about how bad win 10 is, but that is pointless I made my point.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 10:57 PM    Msg. 28 of 52       
The only thing I can remember about using Win10 is the horrible file explorer crashes. God those were annoying.
Disk usage would spike to 99% for no reason too. No idea what that was happening. Lagged the entire comp for ~10 minutes.
Said screw it and copped 7.

Was never bothered by the info taking because it's a Microsoft product.
What're you gonna do

KVOND

A.K.A -The Rock Candy-

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 05:08 PM    Msg. 29 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
The only thing I can remember about using Win10 is the horrible file explorer crashes. God those were annoying.
Disk usage would spike to 99% for no reason too. No idea what that was happening. Lagged the entire comp for ~10 minutes.
Said screw it and copped 7.

Was never bothered by the info taking because it's a Microsoft product.
What're you gonna do

Just turn off scheduled disk defragmentation, set no pagefile and voila, its fixed.

stunt_man

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 10:48 AM    Msg. 30 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: KVOND
set no pagefile

This isn't a very good idea lol but the scheduled disk defrag can eat up resources if you're using a toaster-tier PC.

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 12:56 PM    Msg. 31 of 52       
set no pagefile and voila, its fixed.

Wouldn't really recommend that unless you are truly desperate. Doing so may constitute in your system not being able utilize RAM efficiently and programs may occasionally crash.

Something you might want to consider whilst saving a game or editing a scenario in sapien.

SikSemper

Posted: Apr 4, 2016 07:38 PM    Msg. 32 of 52       
I came here to fix my controller issue but instead got sidetracked on the subject of conspiracy. This guy is hilarious. I can see him hiding in his basement with a tin foil hat trying to prove that contrails from airplanes are actually chemical trails while writing about how dinosaurs helped build the pyramids. Tell me.. Do you really think a reputable company like Microsoft would risk years and years of developing and establishing it's name and product by spying on people? No. It's too much of a risk because if anything were to ever be discovered that would lead to the incrimination of your rights, that would be all she wrote. Anyways thanks for the laugh Doom and here http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-microsoft-is-not-spying-on-you-with-windows-10/ read that. Let me ask, are you so sure windows 7 isn't a virus or spyware? I mean with your type of evidence any operating system with internet capability could be "stealing" or "selling" your info. I better delete all the private info off of my windows 95 laptop while I'm thinking about it. I wouldn't want Microsoft to see my minesweeper scores.
Edited by SikSemper on Apr 4, 2016 at 07:42 PM

KVOND

A.K.A -The Rock Candy-

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 02:16 AM    Msg. 33 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: SikSemper

I came here to fix my controller issue but instead got sidetracked on the subject of conspiracy. This guy is hilarious. I can see him hiding in his basement with a tin foil hat trying to prove that contrails from airplanes are actually chemical trails while writing about how dinosaurs helped build the pyramids. Tell me.. Do you really think a reputable company like Microsoft would risk years and years of developing and establishing it's name and product by spying on people? No. It's too much of a risk because if anything were to ever be discovered that would lead to the incrimination of your rights, that would be all she wrote. Anyways thanks for the laugh Doom and here http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-microsoft-is-not-spying-on-you-with-windows-10/ read that. Let me ask, are you so sure windows 7 isn't a virus or spyware? I mean with your type of evidence any operating system with internet capability could be "stealing" or "selling" your info. I better delete all the private info off of my windows 95 laptop while I'm thinking about it. I wouldn't want Microsoft to see my minesweeper scores.

Ok ok ok, But... Did you fix your controller?

stunt_man

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 08:41 AM    Msg. 34 of 52       

Ok ok ok, But... Did you fix your controller?

^^ this.

Also I wonder if this has been patched in a hotfix or something? Too lazy to undo my fix and try it...

DOOM899

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 02:34 AM    Msg. 35 of 52       

hmm im going to say this in a nice way, because being insulting is not a good thing,

now no1 your link,I did read it and he doesn't know what he's going on about.

no2 ill put 3 links up

one http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/#fef44d02f4a2

two https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/3r8u8e/microsoft_admits_windows_10_automatic_spying/

3 http://bgr.com/2016/02/10/windows-10-spying-investigation/

no3 qt Do you really think a reputable company like Microsoft would risk years and years of developing and establishing it's name and product by spying on people?qt , well yes they would with this one, they don't give two hoots about you or me, money is all they give a damn about.

no 4 windows 7 is much safer AND, you have more control

no 5 the end user license agreement (EULA) you sign to when you install Windows 10 gives Microsoft the legal right to collect this data. Thatís all well and good, but Microsoft refuses to explain why it needs this data or how it improves Windows 10 in any meaningful way.

The most damning aspect of the entire investigation is the fact that Microsoft is lying to us when it gives us the ability to turn certain tracking features off. No matter what you do, or which settings you disable, Microsoft isnít going anywhere.

easiest way is to keep using win 7

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed April 25, 2018 8:25 PM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website