A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Releasing SPV3's internal skull system fairly soon, input needed.

Author Topic: Releasing SPV3's internal skull system fairly soon, input needed. (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 12:34 PM    Msg. 1 of 10       
So for those of you who haven't been following SPV3's skull system ( https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cb4LuYCXIAAhGZC.jpg), I have designed 5 skulls that can modify gameplay, either when picked up or via UI, if certain conditions in another map have been met. In SPV3, these are tied to the Legendary and Noble difficulties. The skulls are a lot of fun, and can be huge game changers for people who want to replay a map, so much so I have considered re-releasing the stock campaign with these skulls.

I hope to release all the internal scripts and tags for this after the next internal SPV3 beta, but since it will be people on this forum implementing these into their maps, I am open to hearing your opinion on how you would like it to work.

Your current options are these, although if someone has an idea for more, I can certainly explore those possibilities.

1. Maps have all the skull toggles enabled via ingame UI
2. Skulls only become active on a map, after they have been found and picked up.
3. Certain mission requirements must be met, in order for the mission to be restarted and for the skulls to then turn on able.

This is not including difficulty specific requirements, so let me know what you all think would be the best way to release this as. The enableable skulls are as follows.

Angry: All AI are united against you.
Blind: No HUD.
Drought: Most AI do not drop weapons or grenades.
Keys: Player can not enter any vehicle.
Spite: Players shields recharge time is reset upon firing a weapon.
Edited by Masters1337 on Mar 8, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 02:38 PM    Msg. 2 of 10       
I guess with blind one way to help you survive would be to always use the assault rifle or battle rifle as they have ammo counters. these skulls, will they be released as part of a modified UI map, or will you be releasing all the SPV3 maps with skulls included?

also, when will we be seeing the next SPV3 map, how far off are you guys?

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 07:02 PM    Msg. 3 of 10       
They have to be built into each and every map that sues them. SPV3 part 1 is planned for June 25th

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 07:03 PM    Msg. 4 of 10       
Id go with option 1 just so if I want to play with the skulls from the start I can

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 11:23 PM    Msg. 5 of 10       
sounds cool

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Mar 9, 2016 02:25 AM    Msg. 6 of 10       
I've always been hesitant on skulls but spite actually sounds really cool.
Option 3 sounds the most fun but 1 sounds most practical.
Option 3 for me, 2nd vote(?) goes to option 1.

A Juicy Frank

Posted: Mar 9, 2016 03:33 AM    Msg. 7 of 10       
I interpreted Job's question as being able to set whatever variables that will control the enabling of skulls from inside the ui map when selecting the level and its difficulty as to start the game with everything set up. Would be pretty similar to how the current halos work as well as streamlining the process of setting up a skull playthrough, though of course everyone would have to end up using the new ui map to make full use of it. idk, it's a cool thought.

As far as the options go, I personally like number 2. What I liked most from B30:E was the addition of all those new pathways and elevators that made it feel like there was something hidden to find or complete in between mission objectives. Weirdly enough, I don't like heavy exploration in games, but I do enjoy menial, inconsequential tasks to do outside of main objectives. Discovering a skull has always felt like it was sought out and achieved, even if it is accidentally stumbled upon, to me at least.

That being said, I'm sure having to go out of one's way to grab the skull for every level could get tedious after the second or third time of having to do it. It would also mean that the effects of skulls later in the campaign wouldn't be able to be used in earlier levels, or even for large portions of the skull's own level if it is placed late in the mission. Plus, if anything else, we still have all your wacky ass clown confetti weapons to be used as prizes for discovery. Option 1 would probably be the most reasonable to actually end up using when considering what steps someone would have to take to play with a skull the second or third time.

WWLinkMasterX

subliminal message.

Posted: Mar 9, 2016 04:29 PM    Msg. 8 of 10       
Assuming I understand this correctly and you still have to find the skulls before they're available in the UI indefinitely,

Option #1 seems most practical. That's my vote.

MrCool

Keep it clean

Posted: Mar 9, 2016 06:13 PM    Msg. 9 of 10       
Definitely second one for me, it seems the most legit. And that way, you could even add secret skulls that people have to find.
Edit: Skulls that are not listed, just mentioned this for clarity.
Edited by MrCool on Mar 9, 2016 at 06:15 PM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Mar 9, 2016 07:20 PM    Msg. 10 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
They have to be built into each and every map that sues them. SPV3 part 1 is planned for June 25th

I don't understand why are the maps suing them?

And for how much?
Edited by Super Flanker on Mar 9, 2016 at 07:21 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri September 20, 2019 7:36 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website