A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[Tutorial] Effect synchronization

Author Topic: [Tutorial] Effect synchronization (13 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Mar 17, 2016 12:32 PM    Msg. 1 of 13       
This is my method of synchronizing effects for multiplayer, it will make effects that happen on the server also happen for clients on the same location.

First you need to download this tag template: http://puu.sh/nJUUV/8896646e57.rar

It has all the tags you need. Now if you want to sync more than one effect, you should copy these tags to another location and fix all dependencies (make sure you keep the same order)

Now in the fourth tag choose the effect tag that you want to sync.

Open the effect that you want to sync (I would recommend to make a backup of it) and make all markers empty.

Now just use the "0" effect instead of your original effect.

For better performance, I would recommend you to add this script and list all the weapon tags that these effects use:

(script continuous destroy_invisible_weapons
(objects_delete_by_definition "altis\effects\synchronized effect\1 create server side object")
(objects_delete_by_definition "altis\effects\synchronized effect\4 synced weapon which causes effect")
)

DONE! Now your effect should be synchronized.

ATTENTION!

I need someone to test this out and let me know that everything works and I didn't forget something!

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: Mar 17, 2016 12:51 PM    Msg. 2 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
This is my method of synchronizing effects for multiplayer, it will make effects that happen on the server also happen for clients on the same location.

First you need to download this tag template: http://puu.sh/nJUUV/8896646e57.rar

It has all the tags you need. Now if you want to sync more than one effect, you should copy these tags to another location and fix all dependencies (make sure you keep the same order)

http://puu.sh/nJUQg/13364c51d7.png

Open the effect that you want to sync (I would recommend to make a backup of it) and make all markers empty.
http://puu.sh/nJURv/6e4cf17d6f.png

For better performance, I would recommend you to add this script and list all the weapon tags that these effects use:

(objects_delete_by_definition "altis\effects\synchronized effect\1 create server side object")
(objects_delete_by_definition "altis\effects\synchronized effect\4 synced weapon which causes effect")
)

ATTENTION!

I need someone to test this out and let me know that everything works and I didn't forget something!

Awesome! I plan to test this out on the weekend

I know most of you don't even play this game anymore, but this method has been useful in getting the projectile impact effects to sync. Without this fix, the visual feedback reports false hits to the player on a regular basis, arguably making the hit sound a necessity. With this fix, though, the hit sound won't be needed.

I plan to use this to also synchronize the "shield crack" effect occurs when a player loses his shields. This effect plays 100% of the time on the Xbox version of the game, but for an unknown reason it doesn't always work on PC.

I think the shot reg in this game isn't nearly as bad as a lot of people make it out to be (at least when all players have reasonable pings) - but it certainly doesn't help when the game lies to you all the time regarding whether or not you landed a shot.
Edited by stunt_man on Mar 17, 2016 at 01:12 PM

JadeRifter

I'm a real light sleeper, Childs.

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 07:32 AM    Msg. 3 of 13       

http://puu.sh/nJUQg/13364c51d7.png

http://puu.sh/nJURv/6e4cf17d6f.png

)

ATTENTION!

This method also works without 2, 3, and 4. The detonation effect in #1 will sync to clients, and also gets rid of the weapon without having to script anything.

altis94

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 01:00 PM    Msg. 4 of 13       
I don't remember getting detonation to work. But what do I know about HEK \_(ツ)_/

EmmanuelCD

Using fox avatar since 1893

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 08:22 PM    Msg. 5 of 13       
This might be usefull. Thanks

JadeRifter

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 09:45 PM    Msg. 6 of 13       
I don't remember getting detonation to work. But what do I know about HEK \_(ツ)_/

The detonation delay needs to be higher than 0 for it to work properly in my experience, 0.1 does the job.

altis94

Posted: Mar 30, 2016 05:10 AM    Msg. 7 of 13       
Okay I just tried using weapon detonation and it creates the effect on both client and server so most of the time the effect plays twice. That means my method is still better

stunt_man

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 01:47 PM    Msg. 8 of 13       
Hi guys, so after extensively testing this fix under various conditions, I'm fairly certain that including a map script to despawn the invisible weapons causes bad server performance. Whether this is due to 1) network limitations 2) RAM limitations or 3) CPU limitations is unknown since I don't have root access to the remote machines, so I can't monitor resource usage.

Hopefully this will change soon.

Does the theory make sense though? That the server is struggling with the map script? I was getting very strange warping and desyncs and we tried a few variations on the script (ex: one that despawned the invisible weapons "continuously," and that despawned that less frequently, and one that despawned even less frequently, but results appeared identical in all tests.

I'm thinking that the overhead caused by spawning invisible weapons/effects upon a hit is insignificant compared to the overhead caused by a continuous map script.
Edited by stunt_man on Jun 14, 2016 at 01:47 PM

altis94

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 03:14 PM    Msg. 9 of 13       
Well you could try getting rid of the scripts and use detonation timer of 0.1 for those weapons.

stunt_man

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 03:45 PM    Msg. 10 of 13       
But then wouldn't the effect play twice like you said in your other post?

And don't weapons despawn automatically after 30 seconds?

altis94

Posted: Jun 15, 2016 06:30 AM    Msg. 11 of 13       
Weapons do despawn after 30 seconds but removing them as fast as possible should be more efficient since it wouldn't have to sync their locations and stuff for 30 seconds.

stunt_man

Posted: Jun 15, 2016 03:37 PM    Msg. 12 of 13       
Weapons do despawn after 30 seconds but removing them as fast as possible should be more efficient since it wouldn't have to sync their locations and stuff for 30 seconds.

Right but the map script seems to have a significant negative impact on server performance. I'll try the detonation thing, I'm just concerned because you mentioned that the effect could play twice, which kind of eliminates the purpose of trying to make the hit effects work properly.
Edited by stunt_man on Jun 15, 2016 at 03:37 PM

JadeRifter

Posted: Jun 15, 2016 04:07 PM    Msg. 13 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: stunt_man

Right but the map script seems to have a significant negative impact on server performance. I'll try the detonation thing, I'm just concerned because you mentioned that the effect could play twice, which kind of eliminates the purpose of trying to make the hit effects work properly.
Edited by stunt_man on Jun 15, 2016 at 03:37 PM

The last time I tested this, the hit detection seemed to work. The effect didn't play twice in my experience, but it might just be something I overlooked or didn't see.

I'm guessing the initial effect creates the nulled out weapon on both the client and server, but I'm still not sure why it would play twice right now.

I haven't tested this on a larger scale yet, so I have no idea how it would impact the server's performance.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun June 25, 2017 6:28 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website