A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Destructible Stuff

Author Topic: Destructible Stuff (11 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

JadeRifter

I'm a real light sleeper, Childs.

Posted: Mar 25, 2016 04:21 AM    Msg. 1 of 11       
I've come up with a way to sync this to clients, and it made me think about it more. Maybe things like destructible bridges/doors etc. could be incorporated into maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLHNdwm4N0Y

This is the map, I have it set to where every vehicle should be destructible, and it should work online with other players. I can't guarantee this is bug free at the moment, but it does work, and I have tested it with people.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3woieax71wcdd8r/sidewinder_destructible.rar

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Mar 25, 2016 06:04 AM    Msg. 2 of 11       
I can see this working, if it was iterated upon, but currently all I see is it de-spawning a vehicle once its health reaches zero.

JadeRifter

Posted: Mar 25, 2016 06:14 AM    Msg. 3 of 11       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
I can see this working, if it was iterated upon, but currently all I see is it de-spawning a vehicle once its health reaches zero.

The body destroyed threshold is set to -1 in the collision, and after a certain amount of health is gone, an effect plays which spawns a weapon that detonates with a custom explosion effect. I didn't need to use any scripts for this, but I probably will to make them respawn.

I'll refine it and such, the video is just to show it working.

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Mar 25, 2016 08:02 AM    Msg. 4 of 11       
I'm pretty sure that
CMT already has
done this before tho

JadeRifter

Posted: Mar 25, 2016 08:07 AM    Msg. 5 of 11       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
I'm pretty sure that
CMT already has
done this before tho

Cool, I didn't know they pulled it off. I've never seen this working before.

sparky

Posted: Mar 25, 2016 10:17 AM    Msg. 6 of 11       
If you are just using tags, you could let the gametype vehicle respawn timer respawn the vehicle by itself by spawning a new vehicle in a hidden area (or outside the bsp) like in Bigass and then letting the timer move it. Or you could store the initial vehicle positions in variables and spawn new vehicles in their starting locations using a delay in the chain-spawning effect you're already using... possibly triggering a script to do that.

I like how you're using negative numbers. Almost every number value that you would change in a tag's metadata is interpreted as a signed number. There is a lot more potential for creativity in using negative numbers than most have considered.

SBB_Michelle

Dumb, sometimes..

Posted: Mar 25, 2016 11:03 AM    Msg. 7 of 11       
Quote: --- Original message by: JadeRifter

and after a certain amount of health is gone, an effect plays which spawns a weapon that detonates with a custom explosion effect.

Maybe this could fix the thing is Bigass that makes vehicles change into a destroyed version and THEN explode.

I also think this would be a good fix for custom gametypes where people spawn in vehicles as they can be destroyable without scripts.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Mar 25, 2016 01:10 PM    Msg. 8 of 11       
Quote: --- Original message by: JadeRifter
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
I'm pretty sure that
CMT already has
done this before tho

Cool, I didn't know they pulled it off. I've never seen this working before.

You can check it out in H2 Coagulation. Also I suggest you use a creation effect one whatever object you are spawning. Should be a bit cleaner than spawning another weapon with a detonation effect (although I am somewhat surprised that would work)

Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
If you are just using tags, you could let the gametype vehicle respawn timer respawn the vehicle by itself by spawning a new vehicle in a hidden area (or outside the bsp) like in Bigass and then letting the timer move it. Or you could store the initial vehicle positions in variables and spawn new vehicles in their starting locations using a delay in the chain-spawning effect you're already using... possibly triggering a script to do that.

I like how you're using negative numbers. Almost every number value that you would change in a tag's metadata is interpreted as a signed number. There is a lot more potential for creativity in using negative numbers than most have considered.

If you could get a list of tag fields that can use them, that be awesome. I've used it before on projectile physics and damage multipliers, as well as instantaneous acceleration with OS but that's it as far as I know.
Edited by Masters1337 on Mar 25, 2016 at 01:11 PM

JadeRifter

Posted: Mar 25, 2016 06:04 PM    Msg. 9 of 11       
The first version of this method used scripts, the wraith on my map is still using that method. With the script method, I can boot players out of the vehicle before it explodes, because when clients are in the vehicle when it explodes, it can sometimes cause an exception.

For things like broken bridges, destroyed doors, etc, this would work perfectly. You would just need to make them into vehicles somehow. I've never seen a map with these before, but I'd really like to.

For dead vehicles, I plan to have a destroyed model spawn instead of it just blowing of out existence.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Mar 25, 2016 06:25 PM    Msg. 10 of 11       
If you want to PM me your contact details (skype preferably) I have a few things I always had in mind for destroyable objects in MP, I'd be happy to share them with you if you'd like to see if they are possible.

JadeRifter

Posted: Mar 25, 2016 06:32 PM    Msg. 11 of 11       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
If you want to PM me your contact details (skype preferably) I have a few things I always had in mind for destroyable objects in MP, I'd be happy to share them with you if you'd like to see if they are possible.

Sure, I'll PM you.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun May 28, 2017 10:10 PM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website