A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[WIP] Blender .gbxmodel importer.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: [WIP] Blender .gbxmodel importer. (52 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Fulsam

Importing Didney.wrl...

Posted: Mar 26, 2016 10:25 AM    Msg. 1 of 52       
I've been posting about this in the WIP pictures thread for a little while, and I thought I'd make a dedicated thread for what I'm doing here.

Currently, if you want to edit models for Halo, you can do it in one of three ways:

1. Suck it up and buy Max (Rent it, actually. You can't 'buy' Max anymore..)
2. Get a student license for Max which will expire in a few years
3. Warez.

Don't want to do any of that? Your only alternative is Gmax, which was already nerfed beyond recognition BEFORE years of being unsupported and outdated went by (No native .obj support? really?). Wanna use Blender? Cool. You still have to constantly jump back to 3DS Max or Gmax for importing and exporting.

I find this unacceptable. So I decided to say "How hard can it be?", and took a stab at porting Bluestreak's gbxmodel importer from maxscript to python. Turns out it was pretty darn challenging, but after a week or so of constant headdesk, it started working.

So, yeah. This will be freely available to everyone who wants it when it's ready to release. As of this post, the todo list is as follows:

-Bone importing
-Material library setup
-Marker importing
-Graphical user interface
-Weight importing

As for .jms exporters, a few seem to exist already, so I'm focusing on just the importer for now. My eventual goal is to have a complete blender toolset for Halo in one plugin (and eliminate gmax COMPLETELY from the workflow), but I might release the importer as a separate thing at first, so people can use it as soon as possible.

So yea, hit me up with any questions you might have. If someone actually beat me to making a .gbxmodel importer, let me know. It makes my job a lot easier.
Edited by Fulsam on Mar 30, 2016 at 03:56 AM

OrangeJuice

"especially not the so called 'helpful' types."

Posted: Mar 26, 2016 10:35 AM    Msg. 2 of 52       
Maan, being able to do everything natively in blender would be a complete godsend with its realtime bump map painting ability
Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 26, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Fulsam

Importing Didney.wrl...

Posted: Mar 26, 2016 10:37 AM    Msg. 3 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: AlissArcana
Oh you're going to make Killzone cream in his pants with this~ Glad to see people are making importers for Blender. May I ask this, will this be open-sourced? :'D

This will totally be open source. Bluestreak's importer was open source (Thank god, this would be nigh-impossible if it wasn't), and my importer is just that code rewritten to work with Blender's Python API.

Lateksi

Posted: Mar 26, 2016 02:59 PM    Msg. 4 of 52       
Thanks for your efforts!

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Mar 26, 2016 03:04 PM    Msg. 5 of 52       
There really isn't a JMS importer for halo, there's one exporter but it's kinda broken.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Mar 26, 2016 04:04 PM    Msg. 6 of 52       

Though I hope this doesn't open a whole list of blender related help threads since the population of blender competent users probably tops out at 5.

Still it is commendable that you have managed to create a constructive avenue for those who prefer to focus their efforts outside of max. Even if max still remains superior.
Edited by Super Flanker on Mar 26, 2016 at 04:04 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 26, 2016 06:32 PM    Msg. 7 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: t3h m00kz
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Though I hope this doesn't open a whole list of blender related help threads since the population of blender competent users probably tops out at 5

while outside of Halo modding Max users cap out at 7

Blender is far more capable than max

Sorry mooker I don't fully agree with you on this one but since I'm waiting for you to post more art lets just agree to not agree.
Edited by Super Flanker on Mar 26, 2016 at 06:35 PM

Fulsam

Importing Didney.wrl...

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 03:06 AM    Msg. 8 of 52       
I personally think that 3DS Max is the industry standard for a reason. However, I also think that REQUIRING such high pedigree software just to do homebrew mods is really dumb. The average modder trying to cram new content into a 15 year old game on their spare time shouldn't NEED max. Especially when Blender is capable of replacing it for everyone's Halo modding needs.

That said, if you (legally) have Max, and are comfortable using it, keep doing so. This isn't for you.

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 05:21 AM    Msg. 9 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: Fulsam
I personally think that 3DS Max is the industry standard for a reason. However, I also think that REQUIRING such high pedigree software just to do homebrew mods is really dumb. The average modder trying to cram new content into a 15 year old game on their spare time shouldn't NEED max. Especially when Blender is capable of replacing it for everyone's Halo modding needs.

That said, if you (legally) have Max, and are comfortable using it, keep doing so. This isn't for you.

I disagree with max being the industry standard. (technically maya steals that crown)

Much like guns, medicine, women, toys, consoles & intel cores there is no "Oh hey this one will do everything I need it to do"

Go with what suits your particular need, I love max because:

a) it's what start-up bungie used meaning ultra compatibility with halo.

b) it's pretty well known which means a lot of guys use it.

c) the modifier system is kickass.

That being said I also use a copy of maya because:

a) The retopo tools are way, way better.

b) Though it is a struggle to understand at first the ui is very intuitive.

c) It starts up faster than max. (lol)

Additionally I use blender (sparingly) for:

a) edit mode is nicer and easier than maya's when working with a variety of complex meshes in a scene.

b) Disk space requirement is something like 300mb's on my rig as opposed to max and maya which utilize something in the neighbourhood of 3000 - 4000. (don't quote me on that)

c) Masks, curve drawings, works with a tablet e.t.c

However all that being said I could still sacrifice blender and live in relative happiness with the troublesome duo.

Thought I would also slip in that although I do agree Blender is capable at replacing some features of max for "halo modding needs" it currently doesn't cover all of the bases.....yet.

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 06:42 AM    Msg. 10 of 52       
-

Not gonna lie, this might breath a fresh breath of air into modding for me.
I love blender and going back to Max is kind of a showstopper for me and it really killed any motivation I ever got to do stuff.

I hope your plans for a full suite of Blender tools is bright.

Much like guns, medicine, women, toys, consoles

Criiiiiiiiiiinge

how are you not banned yet

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 06:59 AM    Msg. 11 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
Going back to Max is kind of a showstopper for me and it really killed any motivation I ever got to do stuff.

I'm curious. What for you was the defining factor or more than likely factors which contributed to your distaste and ultimately divorce with max?

Fulsam

Importing Didney.wrl...

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 05:03 PM    Msg. 12 of 52       
For a good while, I used to use Max for map editing.

For me, personally, what turned me off Max completely was Autodesk phasing out perpetual licenses.

If Autodesk allowed you to buy 3DS max, and allowed you to PERMANENTLY use their software even for $10,000 dollars, I'd totally be down with that. But you can't do that. Now you're forced to use their subscription model.

For a game development studio, this is no big deal. But the average modder might not want to pay money every year to renew the program, especially if Halo modding is something he just dabbles in every once in a while, before moving on to something else.

Yea, you can just get a student license, but you still have to renew that every three years. I'd just like to use an open-source program that doesn't expire.

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 05:24 PM    Msg. 13 of 52       
For a good while, I used to use Max for map editing.

For me, personally, what turned me off Max completely was Autodesk phasing out perpetual licenses.

If Autodesk allowed you to buy 3DS max, and allowed you to PERMANENTLY use their software even for $10,000 dollars, I'd totally be down with that. But you can't do that. Now you're forced to use their subscription model.

For a game development studio, this is no big deal. But the average modder might not want to pay money every year to renew the program, especially if Halo modding is something he just dabbles in every once in a while, before moving on to something else.

Yea, you can just get a student license, but you still have to renew that every three years. I'd just like to use an open-source program that doesn't expire.

A valid point at which you suggest so I shall converse no further at dennis's behest.

Thankyou again for the efforts you have given, they will not be wasted I'm sure just ask the rest after they have risen.

Fulsam

Importing Didney.wrl...

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 05:38 PM    Msg. 14 of 52       

A valid point at which you suggest so I shall converse no further at dennis's behest.

Thankyou again for the efforts you have given, they will not be wasted I'm sure just ask the rest after they have risen.

Actually, I need to ask what you mean by Blender "Not covering all the bases". If there's any serious limitations Blender has as it pertains to Halo modding, now would be the time to list them, so I know what I'm up against.

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 11:43 PM    Msg. 15 of 52       
FINALLY.... i can ditch max for everything cept aether......

Edited by killzone64 on Mar 28, 2016 at 12:01 AM

OrangeJuice

"especially not the so called 'helpful' types."

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 01:03 AM    Msg. 16 of 52       
Wellp. Already ditched pshop and flash for krita. If blender becomes capable for what haloCE needs, I'd probably ditch max too. and learn how to actually USE blender... This stuff of yours is great

Then go around acting rich xD
Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 28, 2016 at 01:15 AM

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 05:07 AM    Msg. 17 of 52       
Blender is pretty weird initially, but it does the job pretty well.
I've made a bunch of simplistic models with it, and even animated characters.

So this support is nice to see, even if I'm no longer actively creating content for Halo CE, I'm sure others will enjoy this. Plus it must have been a good learning experience for you.

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 07:40 AM    Msg. 18 of 52       

Actually, I need to ask what you mean by Blender "Not covering all the bases". If there's any serious limitations Blender has as it pertains to Halo modding, now would be the time to list them, so I know what I'm up against.

To answer your question let me first say junglegym is fantastic in almost everyway.

The speeds you can achieve with a export and save are likely to blow your mind away!

http://www.mediafire.com/?az5tindvqdfxrj4

After which as killzone mentioned you must certainly check out the aether convention.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=4312

I leave with this for it is positively awesome its so good in fact i'd rate it above a flying oppussum.

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=45590

beaucephal

CMT SPv3 audio dude

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 09:26 AM    Msg. 19 of 52       
In regards to Aether, I've not tried it, mainly because of the requirement for 3DS Max, but if I'm not mistaken, the only thing that's stopping it being totally compatible with other modellers is that it uses MaxScript to automate material and mesh importing.

AFAIK FireScythe never released the source code for Aether, so I'm not sure how feasible it would be to do some kind of similar automation procedure that would be Blender-friendly, but dang, being able to use Blender for everything Halo CE-related would be super cool.

Eitherway, this is super-awesome impressive stuff. Really excited to try this out when it finally comes around!

Fulsam

Importing Didney.wrl...

Posted: Apr 1, 2016 04:25 AM    Msg. 20 of 52       
Well, I have an announcement to make regarding the importer:

APRIL FOOLS!

I've been actually working this entire month to fake-out me actually working on a blender importer. The screenshots? I actually imported some Garry's mod rips of various halo models into blender. There is no script. There was never any script. The text you see is me literally just copying a section of bluestreak into the text editor. You all have been made fools of!

APRIL FOOLS! The importer is the real deal, and I'll provide a stripped-down version (Lots of features still don't work yet) if people take this too seriously ;)

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Apr 1, 2016 05:31 AM    Msg. 21 of 52       
torll

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: Apr 1, 2016 10:19 AM    Msg. 22 of 52       
And to think that I looked into doing this in the past, and just a moment ago thought to not do it since you're already doing it. So...

Fulsam

Importing Didney.wrl...

Posted: Apr 1, 2016 02:43 PM    Msg. 23 of 52       
Sorry folks, couldn't pass up the opportunity to mess with people on April 1st.

As an apology gift, take a quick demo of the importer I whipped up to demonstrate it.

--LINK DEAD, look for the current version, it's better--

HOW TO RUN THIS:

1. Extract the .py file to wherever.
2. Open Blender. At the top bar, change "Default" to "Scripting"
3. Hit the Open button, and navigate to wherever you put the .py file.
4. Admire my horrible code, and press "Run Script"
5. You can now go back to Default view via the top bar again.
6. Press SPACE, and type in "Import .gbxmodel"
7. Navigate to the .gbxmodel of your choosing in the browser that pops up.

THIS IS PRE-BETA STUFF. If the script messes up in any way, give me a holler. I've only tested it so far on stock HaloCE assets. This was developed in Blender v2.75. I have no idea how older versions will affect it, but why wouldn't you be on the latest version anyway?
Edited by Fulsam on Apr 1, 2016 at 02:47 PM
Edited by Fulsam on Apr 1, 2016 at 02:49 PM
Edited by Fulsam on May 2, 2016 at 11:30 AM

sparky

Posted: Apr 2, 2016 12:31 PM    Msg. 24 of 52       
Nice job, and fun comments.

It works with the floor_arrow.gbxmodel tag under Blender 2.77 for Mac OS X.

Added to Halo CE and HEK Starter Kit:

http://files.galaxyverge.com/hceheksk/resources/blender_gbxmodel_importer.zip
Edited by sparky on Apr 2, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Fulsam

Importing Didney.wrl...

Posted: Apr 2, 2016 06:22 PM    Msg. 25 of 52       
Had no clue this actually worked on Mac. I guess that's the beauty of Blender and its open-source-ness.

That's pretty kick-a**. Guess it's all the more reason to finish it, since it looks (From the quick 2-second google search I did) like Mac users can't use 3DS Max at all.

Super Flanker

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 11:05 AM    Msg. 26 of 52       
More work on the .gbxmodel importer for Blender.

It'll hopefully drop within the next few days. This will be the first version that you will be able to install as a blender Add-on, eliminating the need to run the script from the text editor.

More options will be added eventually as I get each facet of the importer ported over and working.

Not being able to bump my thread about this with updates makes me sad.

Turn that frown upside down.

sparky

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 12:36 PM    Msg. 27 of 52       
Dennis:

Why not have threads bump when their first or last messages are edited?

...there are some things that I have wanted to say in my variegated thread, which I cannot, but they don't deserve a new thread about them, maybe.
Edited by sparky on Apr 7, 2016 at 01:09 PM

Fulsam

Importing Didney.wrl...

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 01:34 PM    Msg. 28 of 52       
Bumps aside (I owe you one, Super Flanker), here's the next iteration of the importer.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/g73q03hnpwa43od/gbxImport.zip

Beginning with this version, the importer is now an addon that can be installed via the following:

1. Download and unzip the .py file to wherever.
2. Open up blender, and go to File > User Preferences
3. Go to Addons.
4. At the bottom of the user preferences window, hit the button that says "Install from file"
5. Navigate to wherever you put the .py file.
6. Scroll up, and where it says "Import-Export: Gbxmodel Importer", and hit the checkbox all the way to the right, enabling the addon.
7. Click "Save user settings" if you want the addon to be active every time you start blender.

In addition to the addon functionality, the importer will now import nodes, and it allows you to toggle model importing, node importing, and UVW importing on and off. In subsequent updates, bone importing, marker importing, and weight importing will be added.

And as always, let me know if there are any bugs.

sparky

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 01:45 PM    Msg. 29 of 52       
Can you add version numbers to your work so I can work with a change log?

Fulsam

Importing Didney.wrl...

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 02:20 PM    Msg. 30 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Can you add version numbers to your work so I can work with a change log?

Yeah, my bad. The previous version is considered 0.4, and this current version is 0.5 (Made it say so in the addons menu, there's a bunch of description fields that can be filled out such as description, author, etc.)

I'll definitely keep version numbers in mind for subsequent updates.

Super Flanker

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 02:26 PM    Msg. 31 of 52       
This will work with all or most versions of blender right?

1.60, 1.73, 1.80, 2.04, 2.25

Occasionally I remember some py files not being detectable in earlier releases.
Edited by Super Flanker on Apr 7, 2016 at 02:41 PM

sparky

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 03:47 PM    Msg. 32 of 52       

As an apology gift, take a quick demo of the importer I whipped up to demonstrate it.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/sup85u1cdcfv9pw/gbxDemo.zip

HOW TO RUN THIS:

THIS IS PRE-BETA STUFF. If the script messes up in any way, give me a holler. I've only tested it so far on stock HaloCE assets. This was developed in Blender v2.75. I have no idea how older versions will affect it, but why wouldn't you be on the latest version anyway?

I don't know why you're asking if it works in older versions, unless perhaps only an older version works with your operating system?

Super Flanker

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 06:46 PM    Msg. 33 of 52       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

http://www.mediafire.com/download/sup85u1cdcfv9pw/gbxDemo.zip

HOW TO RUN THIS:

I don't know why you're asking if it works in older versions, unless perhaps only an older version works with your operating system?

Curse you mobile view!

As for wanting or not wanting to be on the latest update, well some plugins work with some instances of blender and some don't for some weird reason.

Fulsam

Importing Didney.wrl...

Posted: Apr 17, 2016 10:43 PM    Msg. 34 of 52       
Within the next week or so, I'll be making v0.6 available for download.

This version will add the following:

-Marker importing
-Region selection
-Permutation selection
-LOD selection
-A text field telling you which .gbxmodel is currently loaded.
Edited by Fulsam on Apr 17, 2016 at 10:44 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Apr 18, 2016 05:00 AM    Msg. 35 of 52       
Can't wait.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon January 20, 2020 9:20 AM 438 ms.
A Halo Maps Website