A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Desperately seeking help/advice

Author Topic: Desperately seeking help/advice (29 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

squeeze_nut

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 05:39 PM    Msg. 1 of 29       
Hi, I'm squeezenut. I'm new to Halo CE Modding. I was messing around with recording anims, and nothing was working. I copied the contents of my HaloCE folder out, and uninstalled the game. I figured I'd do a fresh install to see if it worked on a new copy, and it didn't. After that, I moved the CE folder back to it's original spot and ran the game. All of the scenarios I turned into levels were gone, and when I run tool (os) trying to compile a scenario to a map, it succeeds, but none of the compiled maps can be ran with "map_name (mapname)".

No matter what I try, nothing seems to work in terms of being able to compile maps.

I can post screenshots or whatever, I just want some help/advice to see where I should go from here.

EDIT:

Out of nowhere I tried again, and I got an error in tool this time. -> https://i.gyazo.com/76aab38e4d565557d228b35f6a029ee2.png

Edited by squeeze_nut on Apr 5, 2016 at 09:41 PM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 08:18 PM    Msg. 2 of 29       
if your maps are compiled and you can see them in your maps folder, then you should be able to run them fine. However, the map_name command only works for singleplayer maps, else you would try to load the maps through your multiplayer menu

squeeze_nut

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 09:00 PM    Msg. 3 of 29       
Sorry, I think I worded what I was trying to say wrong. I can't see the maps in the maps folder, but when I run the command through the cmd, there is no error.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 12:02 AM    Msg. 4 of 29       
If you are not running cmd as admin then the map file will be put in a different folder .
for win 7 you can click the compatability folder and look there
and for some reason i think i remember for win 10 and maybe 8 its something like microsoft/virtualstore/something

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 12:23 AM    Msg. 5 of 29       
your problem is probably not running CMD as admin, if you don't chances are they are being saved as 'ghost' files that you cannot actually see but still appear in the folder when running the game, make a shortcut to CMD, then right click on it, go into properties, and under compatibility, select run as administrator.

A Juicy Frank

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 12:37 AM    Msg. 6 of 29       
Negative, gentlemen. He's not seeing his map there because tool's not compiling it.

Quote: --- Original message by: squeeze_nut

What we're looking for is for it to say "successfully built cache file":

Looking at your image:

-units must have models and animation graphs
For this, your player biped either has no gbxmodel/model_animations, or the checksum/node list of one is inconsistent with the other.

-the meter definition "ui\hud\cyborg body" and "ui\hud\cyborg shield" does not specify a stencil bitmap group
I'm not sure exactly, but I believe it's because the .bitmap files are set up incorrectly. These shouldn't prevent compilation, though. Not sure what exactly is needed, since I haven't worked much with hud stuff. They say if we chant his name 3 times and wish hard enough, jesse will be summoned.

-building predicted resources for structures... Tried to add bitmap from group with no bitmaps("levels\a30\bitmaps\cliff rock bump"). Tried to add bitmap from group with no bitmaps("levels\a30\bitmaps\cliff rock bump")
This is where tool craps out on you. From here it gets stuck, and I'm not sure how exactly. It probably has to do with that bitmap not having a sequence set or any bitmap data in there.

Give me a minute to see if I can replicate that.

Edit- Alright, those broken cliff bitmaps are exactly what's preventing the map from being compiled:

This is what the .bitmap tag looked like when it gave this error- completely barren at the bottom:

Here's the deal. Those are stock tags that are causing errors, and they shouldn't at all. It's not that the files are missing, it's that they are borderline corrupt. Whatever was done along the line of moving the files around ended up gimping your tagset. There might be even more damage to tags that aren't showing here. My suggestion would be to take some uncorrupted stock tags and use them to overwrite the specific broken tags that are causing errors. In this case, it would be:

Whatever unit you have set as your player unit. I'm assuming the chief, so "characters\cyborg\cyborg.biped", "characters\cyborg\cyborg.model_animations", and "characters\cyborg\cyborg.gbxmodel", "ui\hud\cyborg body.meter" and "ui\hud\cyborg shield.meter", and finially "levels\a30\bitmaps\cliff rock bump.bitmap".

Don't worry about your custom tags just yet, just see what happens when the offending tags above are fixed.

Stock tags:
http://haloce3.com/xmf/
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=49038&start=7, or
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=48138 cuz Flanker will feel sad. <3 u man

Campaign tags since you're doing SP stuff:
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6690

Forgive me for all the images and walls of text, I'm trying to get better at being more concise. I am frank, after all. Would like to thank you for providing your tool error up front. Not many people do that. Also, welcome to both the Custom Edition as well as Halomaps. With that name, I'm sure you'll fit in nicely here. Any other problems just lay them here and we'll see what we can do.
Edited by A Juicy Frank on Apr 6, 2016 at 01:20 AM

squeeze_nut

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 04:33 PM    Msg. 7 of 29       
Hi Frank,

Thanks so much for the quick reply and lengths you went to helping me here. I downloaded the fresh stock tags, and data, for multiplayer. I removed the tags I was using, and inserted the stock tags and data folder.

I opened up OS_Sapien on damnation and saved a scenario. Upon compiling, I had a similar error, but noticed something different. Beside the corrupted bitmap and stencil things, (I had replaced with stock tags) another error showing up was saying that I was trying to use a missing tag for my first person hands (https://i.gyazo.com/c84648d9a34de8bf8a5d4f1dee085d52.png). I had these set in the globals before the initial corruption. I opened up OS_Gorilla to attempt to fix it, and I was really confused with what I saw.

https://i.gyazo.com/4342a3b029620889fd51999c46879e4f.gif <- all of the files I had removed were still there, even after restarting my computer after replacing the tags folders. https://i.gyazo.com/fd6c74b5f8ba78f54d201a84e4e8a2ab.png
I don't care if I lose everything I had, I just want to be able to function properly again. I'm honestly sorry if I'm coming off as a moron, I'm just out of ideas and really need help lol

Please lemme know if there is anything I can do from here / any suggestions you have for me.
Thanks again for responding in depth so quickly.

A Juicy Frank

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 05:36 PM    Msg. 8 of 29       
No worries at all, nut. This is a weird situation, and it's one that I'll apologize to Maniac and Job above as they are probably right in this. I saw the errors there preventing the map from being compiled and assumed that must have been the only issue causing the map not show in the folder to play. After rereading the sequence of posts, it does look like there may be an issue with windows' virtual storage stuff since you mentioned being able to compile the map without errors initially.

Theory- all the tag folders you see available in guerilla are in the virtual store, and the ones you are replacing with stock tags are in the actual tag directory. When you compile your map as usual, it's using the broken tags in this virtual store, which haven't been replaced. Try this: in guerilla, right click that bourrin folder and open in a new window.

In the new window that opens, what's its directory at the top say? In and around there might be where all the stuff that's missing is. Not 100% on this as I've never personally had any issues with windows 8/8.1 or missing files in HCE, but it very well may be because I initially installed halo on a separate drive.

I think I remember UAC being an issue with this game when it was introduced in vista, except it would outright crash applications that were trying to write files. I did have HCE installed in the program files folder then. What I did was just give full permission for the folder to all users. Unless someone else thinks this is bad decision or has a better way, this would be one way to read and write files to and from the folder and its subfolders without having to do whatever would necessary to disable whatever's going on with virtual store. What's the worst that could happen? Is a virus going to add HALO3/4/REACH/ONLINE tags to everything? Is it gonna rip from your maps and steal credit?
Edited by A Juicy Frank on Apr 6, 2016 at 06:36 PM

squeeze_nut

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 06:12 PM    Msg. 9 of 29       
Alrighty, this is what happens.

Before: https://gyazo.com/c6226dab1386f2ddf5062b4c8a6abf79

After: https://i.gyazo.com/37d83c6431405b92d2da797d5867a2ea.png
https://i.gyazo.com/7a35e1a3eb68c35b75dde282de710cdc.png (clearer)

Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

A Juicy Frank

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 06:21 PM    Msg. 10 of 29       
Sorry, meant open the bourrin folder, or really any folder that isn't shown in the actual tag folder on the right in this image. (altis, bourrin, my map, tm folders)

ScarFOx

This twisted game needs to be reset - Pixy 1995

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 06:24 PM    Msg. 11 of 29       
Quote: --- Original message by: squeeze_nut
Alrighty, this is what happens.

Before: https://gyazo.com/c6226dab1386f2ddf5062b4c8a6abf79

After: https://i.gyazo.com/37d83c6431405b92d2da797d5867a2ea.png
https://i.gyazo.com/7a35e1a3eb68c35b75dde282de710cdc.png (clearer)

Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Bad thing You are missing Tags or you have some broken tags I think you can download the full single player tag set or if you got HEK you can rip the off the tags from a .map file

squeeze_nut

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 06:26 PM    Msg. 12 of 29       

not giraffe

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 06:37 PM    Msg. 13 of 29       
Try pasting this into the File Explorer address bar:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\tags\

squeeze_nut

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 06:41 PM    Msg. 14 of 29       
Quote: --- Original message by: raffgie
Try pasting this into the File Explorer address bar:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\tags\

This is where I ended up -

https://gyazo.com/3bd6d5d35886183c0eef86c20b8ddf87

not giraffe

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 06:45 PM    Msg. 15 of 29       
It's UAC. You can either disable it or reinstall Halo and HEK to a folder that doesn't require administrative rights.

A Juicy Frank

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 06:46 PM    Msg. 16 of 29       
Well that's great. Was hoping that would lead us to a separate directory with all the missing stuff in it. All those files are somewhere, that's why guerilla is letting you open them and direct your global's fp arms to those bourrin ones. If you don't mind a lot of unused tags being sealed away on your hard drive, go to step 2. Otherwise-

1. Create a new folder on your desktop. Open guerilla again and select all these folders. Right click and cut them. Paste them into the new folder on the desktop. This may take some time since there's a lot of stuff in those folders I'm sure. What you're doing is moving all that data out of wherever it is hidden and moving it to the desktop.

2. I'm pretty sure this will fix everything here on out, aside from restoring missing tags. If you did step 1, that folder should have all these missing tags.

Open the properties of your Halo Custom Edition folder by alt+double clicking. In the security tab, click to edit your permissions. Select "users (whatever\users)" and check full control. Save all this. If you saved your tags in step 1, copy them all to your tag folder as usual. It should work.

squeeze_nut

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 07:04 PM    Msg. 17 of 29       
I have no idea what's happening.

For starters, trying to cut the tags out via Guerilla for some reason takes the files from the current tag folder. (https://gyazo.com/7d005f244779de3cab30e5c0a0b74959)

Also, everything is allowed full permission besides "CREATOR OWNER"

https://i.gyazo.com/8bb868635d65ee8762b66e703d3aca1f.gif

The same error persists in tool, also. :(

^ I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Edited by squeeze_nut on Apr 6, 2016 at 07:05 PM

A Juicy Frank

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 07:20 PM    Msg. 18 of 29       
The place raffgie got you to is where all your tags are. Still unsure why you weren't able to move those to the desktop. I'm still iffy about disabling UAC, since it is still active on my system and I can use gmax without running as admin and open/save files to its folder in program files- which needs admin permission to do so. It works because of that full control change made to the folder. Since it isn't working for you, disabling UAC may be your best bet.

Also don't worry about that last post of mine right now. I was typing while raffgie got you there. He did in a couple minutes what I couldn't in all this time. +1
Edited by A Juicy Frank on Apr 6, 2016 at 07:23 PM

squeeze_nut

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 07:42 PM    Msg. 19 of 29       
Quote: --- Original message by: raffgie
It's UAC. You can either disable it or reinstall Halo and HEK to a folder that doesn't require administrative rights.

Quote: --- Original message by: A Juicy Frank

The place raffgie got you to is where all your tags are. Still unsure why you weren't able to move those to the desktop. I'm still iffy about disabling UAC, since it is still active on my system and I can use gmax without running as admin and open/save files to its folder in program files- which needs admin permission to do so. It works because of that full control change made to the folder. Since it isn't working for you, disabling UAC may be your best bet.

Also don't worry about that last post of mine right now. I was typing while raffgie got you there. He did in a couple minutes what I couldn't in all this time. +1
Edited by A Juicy Frank on Apr 6, 2016 at 07:23 PM

I tried disabling UAC, and even that didn't work. Thank you both for all the help.
I think I'm going to try to wipe all of CE off the C Drive and reinstall on E. As far as I can tell, that's my only possible solution.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 07:50 PM    Msg. 20 of 29       
Don't quarter me for being stupid.

But why can't you just cut all the stuff from your virtual store folder and paste it into your halo root directory and recompile?

Its what I've been doing with win8.1 for 2 years now.

A Juicy Frank

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 07:52 PM    Msg. 21 of 29       
Alright, good luck.

squeeze_nut

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 07:54 PM    Msg. 22 of 29       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

But why can't you just cut all the stuff from your virtual store folder and paste it into your halo root directory and recompile?

I'm a virgin, I've only started doing things for less than a month, and bash me with a rock if you want but,

er,

define recompile?

A Juicy Frank

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 08:07 PM    Msg. 23 of 29       
He means try to build your map again after you've moved the virtual store stuff over

squeeze_nut

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 08:23 PM    Msg. 24 of 29       
Quote: --- Original message by: A Juicy Frank
He means try to build your map again after you've moved the virtual store stuff over

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

I started dicking around in both the folders, trying and trying again to copy the stuff from the root to virtual store and vise versa, and out of nowhere -> https://i.gyazo.com/c6d981b3847fcc2b20b4305f5abde211.png

Again, thanks to everyone for the patience and help.
- nut <333

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 09:14 PM    Msg. 25 of 29       
I love happy endings.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 10:43 AM    Msg. 26 of 29       
Yay my lowtech solution worked.

And I only needed 1 post.

sparky

Fools deceive, but knowledge of Jesus is life.

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 12:38 PM    Msg. 27 of 29       
Flanker, you could use a batch script to copy files from Virtual Store to your Halo CE folder.

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 12:55 PM    Msg. 28 of 29       
Why would someone still be using Windows 8? This is disgusting to look at.

sparky

Fools deceive, but knowledge of Jesus is life.

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 01:00 PM    Msg. 29 of 29       
Because Windows 7 is expensive as a downgrade.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri August 17, 2018 1:23 AM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website