A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »2 separate CE installs?

Author Topic: 2 separate CE installs? (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: Apr 15, 2016 09:59 PM    Msg. 1 of 6       
Simplest way would be to use VMWare Player (now known as Workstation something-or-other) and install another copy of your Windows OS on a virtual machine using it. This way, you can also play both at the same time.

The Kingx

ᕙ༼ ಠ益ಠ༽ᕗ

Posted: Apr 15, 2016 10:09 PM    Msg. 2 of 6       
This thread can help (I think) : http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=47017

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
Rename your "Halo Custom Edition" folder to something else. It doesn't matter. "HCE 1.10".

Uninstall HEK, Uninstall CE. Install CE. You will now have a blank Install. Install HEK. Create a copy if you wish.

Install v1.09. Now if you want to switch from 1.10 or 1.09, just rename the folder to "Halo Custom Edition".

Once you install a patch, you cannot install anything below it unless you uninstall CE. Example: If you install 1.10 before 1.09, you cant install 1.09.

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Apr 15, 2016 11:11 PM    Msg. 3 of 6       
Essentially that

Start out with a blank install of Halo: Custom Edition, I'd copy it if you wish to have a "clean" install. Depending on if you need an older patch, I'd go ahead and just update this to 1.10 now. We'll make 2 copies called "Halo CE 1" and "Halo CE 2"

Rename "Halo CE 1" to "Halo Custom Edition". The folder called "Halo Custom Edition" will be the one active. If for some reason you need to install an older patch, you need to install the older one first (due to windows registry or something?).

Do what you need to do (install OS/Hac). Rename this folder back to "Halo CE 1" (or whatever you wish).

Rename "Halo CE 2" to "Halo Custom Edition" and repeat. Whatever is named "Halo Custom Edition" is the one to play on and just keep renaming the folders back and forth.

Go insane

Grunter

I'm back from the dead and reporting for duty!

Posted: Apr 16, 2016 01:17 AM    Msg. 4 of 6       
Quote: --- Original message by: t3h m00kz
I hear this can be done. I want one for HAC2 (MP) and OS (SP).

How do I do it

I actually just got that setup recently. It was a pretty simple job of copying the contents of the Halo Custom Edition Folder, removing OS and renaming the folder "Halo Custom Edition Multiplayer"

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: Apr 16, 2016 03:00 PM    Msg. 5 of 6       
Export the Halo CE registry.

Make copies of it and change the install path for each version of HaloCE. " Halo CE whatever version.reg "
Make a batchfile or shellscript that automates the regedit process:

Ergo: Press 1 for 1.07, Press 2 for 1.07bungie, Press 3 for 1.08, etc.

I put my data and tags and maps folder onto separate harddrives formatted to different blocksizes and symlink them, so every version uses the same data/tag setup. Is also useful if you like editing tags over a network, if you can find a controller that locks files per-user
Edited by OrangeJuice on Apr 16, 2016 at 03:04 PM

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Apr 16, 2016 06:53 PM    Msg. 6 of 6       
You don't need to change the registry for swapping different versions. I can go back to OS 3.0.3 on 1.09 without worrying about registry

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri December 6, 2019 8:35 AM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website