A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[Question] Faster way to get files out of virtual store?

Author Topic: [Question] Faster way to get files out of virtual store? (19 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 01:54 PM    Msg. 1 of 19       
Currently I do this:

And as you can imagine it gets slightly annoying every time I build a new map, edit a tag, create a tag blah, blah, blah.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 02:47 PM    Msg. 2 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Currently I do this:

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6ozsH6KbbXQ7Ddsc/giphy.gif

And as you can imagine it gets slightly annoying every time I build a new map, edit a tag, create a tag blah, blah, blah.

This was one of the things I hated about windows 8. It got better in Windows 10. What I did was create a shortcut to the virtual folder and manually move tags and maps.

What OS do you have? I can't tell by looking only at that window.

Super Flanker

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 02:51 PM    Msg. 3 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Currently I do this:

What I did was create a shortcut to the virtual folder and manually move tags and maps.

That's what I'm doing in the window. I just figured someone smarter than me would have an automation process of some sort down by now.

Quote: --- Original message by: JesseWhat OS do you have? I can't tell by looking only at that window.

Open image in new tab lol, and it's the latest. (4.0)

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 02:53 PM    Msg. 4 of 19       
Im on Windows 10 and I have no idea what this problem is or why you have to copy tags over from another location.
Edited by MatthewDratt on Apr 29, 2016 at 02:54 PM

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 03:57 PM    Msg. 5 of 19       
What about simply making that maps folder a symbolic link of the original maps folder?

Geez, stop stifling your hardware by not tweaking and customizing the operating system.
Edited by OrangeJuice on Apr 29, 2016 at 10:27 PM

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 05:10 PM    Msg. 6 of 19       
Upgrade to W7.

Btcc22

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 05:11 PM    Msg. 7 of 19       
Run your tools as admin or move them to a directory that doesn't need administrative rights to write to. Problem solved.
Edited by Btcc22 on Apr 29, 2016 at 05:13 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 05:46 PM    Msg. 8 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
Im on Windows 10

K, enjoy the eye strain.

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt and I have no idea what this problem is or why you have to copy tags over from another location.

Then why are you posting?

Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
What about simply making that maps folder a symbolic link of the original maps folder?

But its not just the maps folder its literally every folder that I have made a change inside of.

Globals.

Vehicles.

Weapons.

Zteam.

Bourris.

Jlx2_nuevo_tagas_jejejejeje.

Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
Upgrade to W7.
I like having my start menu take up my whole screen.

Quote: --- Original message by: Btcc22

Run your tools as admin.

Been doing that since 2k14.

Quote: --- Original message by: Btcc22
or move them to a directory that doesn't need administrative rights to write to.

Sapien & guerilla don't work out side of the recommended Halo CE and HEK installation directory.

I'm not un-installing and re-installing on a F: drive or something because something else is bound to screw up and complain about incorrect paths later on down the line.
Edited by Super Flanker on Apr 29, 2016 at 05:49 PM

altis94

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 05:56 PM    Msg. 9 of 19       
Sapien & guerilla don't work out side of the recommended Halo CE and HEK installation directory.

Uhh what?

Super Flanker

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 06:04 PM    Msg. 10 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94

Uhh what?

Sigh.

Grab guerilla and sapien. Copy them to some other place which you don't need admin rights for, like your desktop.

Now try running them....

I get; Program can't start because vorbisfile.dll is missing from your pc.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 06:35 PM    Msg. 11 of 19       
Change the permissions on the Halo Custom Edition (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition) folder to allow Users to have full control.

Btcc22

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 07:06 PM    Msg. 12 of 19       

Did you make sure to copy vorbisfile.dll to the same directory as guerilla.exe?

Running as admin also works fine for me - no virtual store involved.

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 07:42 PM    Msg. 13 of 19       
If none of the other suggestions work here, make a .bat batch file that does all that for you with a simple double-click (or single click, if you put it in the task bar).

altis94

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 08:58 PM    Msg. 14 of 19       

Just move the whole Halo folder on your desktop or whatever works.

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 09:52 PM    Msg. 15 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt and I have no idea what this problem is or why you have to copy tags over from another location.

Then why are you posting?

Because if you were on W10 and were having this issue and I wasn't then I could tell you what my settings/what I was doing to help you fix it. However I needed more details on the actual problem.

RadWolfie

Programmer

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 12:21 AM    Msg. 16 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Change the permissions on the Halo Custom Edition (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition) folder to allow Users to have full control.

This should work, I think. I'm not 100% sure if setting my own account (instead of Users) as full control worked correctly. I'll need to re-check it again sometime later.

I had mentioned it before, every legacy executable files without a manifest file containing this part causes VirtualStore directory to be enforced when UAC is enable.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
<security>
<requestedPrivileges>
<requestedExecutionLevel
level="asInvoker"
uiAccess="false"/>
</requestedPrivileges>
</security>
</trustInfo>
</assembly>

I may will create an app which will allow you to drop any executable file in it to remove the virtualization enforcement by adding manifest section into the executable file. It's really simple to do, even Windows' API does provide support for it.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 12:34 AM    Msg. 17 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Currently I do this:

What I did was create a shortcut to the virtual folder and manually move tags and maps.

That's what I'm doing in the window. I just figured someone smarter than me would have an automation process of some sort down by now.

Quote: --- Original message by: JesseWhat OS do you have? I can't tell by looking only at that window.

Open image in new tab lol, and it's the latest. (4.0)

Ah, my phone wasn't loading the GIF properly (only the first frame, I guess).

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 12:56 AM    Msg. 18 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: RadWolfie
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

This should work, I think. I'm not 100% sure if setting my own account
Since Vista I have changed the permissions on that folder making it easier to add/delete maps I test and also tags and compilations stay directly in the proper folders with no need to move them.

RadWolfie

Programmer

Posted: May 6, 2016 11:43 AM    Msg. 19 of 19       
Dennis - Yeah, that's right.

I made a release for generic legacy applications to bypass virtual store directory. It's been tested on Windows 7 and verified. This way it will output an error as expected if a user does not have write permission to program's directory which then can be perform as Dennis's post above to resolve the next step of permission issue. It is currently on Github under "No VirtualStore Enforce Please" You do not need to re-compile it yourself, I have tagged a release version which include compiled version. Cheers!

P.S. You can use Windows XP to make a patch too. It may not work as expect since it's not design to run a patched application on Windows XP.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu November 21, 2019 2:12 AM 265 ms.
A Halo Maps Website