A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[Survey] What do you expect from a horror map on HCE?

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: [Survey] What do you expect from a horror map on HCE? (65 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 08:35 PM    Msg. 1 of 65       
This needs no description, im workin in a small flood campaign contein in one map.

My point are

+Strong and intimidating flood: this means they are dangerous, they will kill of 2 melee atacks

+Play as a marine: This means your vulnerable to infection, and you have to watch everthing

+Surrounding enemies: Once you enter a trigger they will spawn in front of you and behind of you

+Screamer: I already done this in HNH Episode one, its easy when using one bsp, but i have several bsp, but i will do it anyways

+Rich enviroment: Blood, scratches and hundreds of decals can be placed all around the walls

+A reason to be there: Theres must be a convincent story that put you there in the first place

+Unoposable enemies: Special anticheats scripts and a unkillable enemie that kills at once..

+Gore content: not only on screamers, but in all the place, pieces of human debris al around the place.

+Suspense music: Put familiar but scary music on all the level

What do you think?
Should i change something?

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 08:46 PM    Msg. 2 of 65       
i would suggest use an ODST instead of a simple marine.

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 09:39 PM    Msg. 3 of 65       
You can go with the whole intimidating and hard to kill zombies thing.
But the original Biohazard (Resident Evil) games really nailed it on the head:
-You have zombies who roam the streets and are indeed a threat.
-You have limited ammo, and limited storage for ammo and other items.
-You have a fixed camera so you only see what the director of the game wants you to see.
-Your health is finite, if you take damage you have to stop and use a item to heal yourself.

Theres a bunch of other details but thats really the gist of what made survival horror great back in the good ol' days.

I like your idea of being a marine, you have a good reason to not use shields, limited ammo etc.

I just don't think The Flood is a good fit for horror maps, they may be the "zombie" equivalent in the halo universe but fighting them is so boring and same-y.
Edited by EtchyaSketch on Apr 29, 2016 at 10:14 PM

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 09:51 PM    Msg. 4 of 65       
Im thinking some thing like Slender, Silent Hill and Residentes Evil ll

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 10:28 PM    Msg. 5 of 65       
The Area50s were great. And they were fun to get through without the AI flooring you

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 10:57 PM    Msg. 6 of 65       
Tension buildup > Jumpscares
Jumpscares are too cheap

OctaVinyl

¡Voy A comer tù corazon!

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 12:00 AM    Msg. 7 of 65       
In terms of a horror map, well, I suggest that at least put a little aspect of survival gameplay to it, almost similar to that of fallout. But as stated, jump scares are pretty common now, which is something that may not scare people anymore. I mean, like you know, FNAF.

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 01:11 AM    Msg. 8 of 65       
set it at night with view via torch light on helmet only, torch lasts only a short while so you can't have it on all the time, when its not on you have only very limited visibility.

SOUNDS! Sound is VERY important and is often unmentioned. make sure that you use the right music (the flood sound tracks from C10 onwards is very good for this) and make sure that the flood make noises too, when the light is off, you should be able to hear them groaning / doing whatever flood do.
Edited by Jobalisk on Apr 30, 2016 at 01:14 AM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 01:28 AM    Msg. 9 of 65       
My idea horror.

All the pilots are females.

It just goes against the natural order of things IMO.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 01:32 AM    Msg. 10 of 65       
Atmosphere, you can have all the scary stuff you want but if the atmosphere isn't nailed and it isn't spooky then it comes off as cheap.

Play DOOM 3 for inspiration.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 01:37 AM    Msg. 11 of 65       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
Atmosphere, you can have all the scary stuff you want but if the atmosphere isn't nailed and it isn't spooky then it comes off as cheap.

Doom 3 was terrible, not scary in any form.

There was a map released around these parts that went by the name "Chambers.map" if im not mistaken. that was a pretty interesting take on a horror map in CE and I think you should check it out. if you cant find it then PM me because I think I still have it downloaded

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 01:58 AM    Msg. 12 of 65       
I still enjoyed DOOM 3, I guess it's a matter of opinion though.

OctaVinyl

¡Voy A comer tù corazon!

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 04:46 AM    Msg. 13 of 65       
Or.... take some small stuff seen in corpse party. Or small stuff from a game called 'A world you should not know' seen back in Equestria Daily or something.

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 01:28 PM    Msg. 14 of 65       
Quote: --- Original message by: EmmanuelCD
+Unoposable enemies: Special anticheats scripts and a unkillable enemie that kills at once..

No

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 07:53 PM    Msg. 15 of 65       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jobalisk

set it at night with view via torch light on helmet only, torch lasts only a short while so you can't have it on all the time, when its not on you have only very limited visibility.

SOUNDS! Sound is VERY important and is often unmentioned. make sure that you use the right music (the flood sound tracks from C10 onwards is very good for this) and make sure that the flood make noises too, when the light is off, you should be able to hear them groaning / doing whatever flood do.
Edited by Jobalisk on Apr 30, 2016 at 01:14 AM

Another sound sugestión? I think c10 doesnt fit very good since its very know. Besides i already made i a flare using the plasma granade (ask storm about it)
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812

I know it needs atmosfere but the thing is i dont know how. And chamber sucked.

Another idea i copy from A;Isolation, use a device to check enemies and save progress

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: May 3, 2016 12:40 PM    Msg. 16 of 65       
The best horror is what you don't see. I don't care who you are, you can't make somethign scarier than someones imagination. Because if you don't know exactly what you are up against, your mind will fill in the blanks and tailor make it to you. If you just do jump scares, those get old fast. See: Dead Space. If you make something mildly scary and overuse it, it just becomes boring. See: Dead Space. It's best if you have weapons but either they do nothing, or they aren't wholly effective, because weapons automatically make people feel secure, and if they make you feel too secure, it's no longer scary. See: Dead Space.

You need atmosphere, an enemy you know little about, preferably rarely if ever see, and always make the person alone if possible.

Just some thoughts.

Super Flanker

Posted: May 3, 2016 02:24 PM    Msg. 17 of 65       
Agree with skidbabe.

Although I've only ever played deadspce3.

The unknown is something humanity has real difficulty dealing with.

If it doesn't have a name shoot it!

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: May 3, 2016 07:03 PM    Msg. 18 of 65       
As i said before i was thinking in a special custome enemy, one wich doesnt apaer frecuently, only 4 o 5 times in the map. Something like slenderman (as concept, not that directly), and if you look it, it kills you instantly. You only have vague references from it, like notes and strange blood pools around the dark map

Some concepts

I already have made a custome BSP ripping geometry from A10 and its goning to be completly dark. As i said i need more sugestions since im new to making horror maps. I´ve made one in last halloween, but nobody take it serious

DOOM899

{DM} [gamesmaster] if i can ill help maybe

Posted: May 4, 2016 06:23 AM    Msg. 19 of 65       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Jumpscares are too cheap
they are, are they https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOztnsBPrAA five nights at Freddy's man ><

as for your concepts EmmanuelCD play five nights at Freddy's for en idea
Edited by DOOM899 on May 4, 2016 at 06:25 AM

ThatGuyWhoLikesCats

"If God is love, then you can call me Cupid"

Posted: May 4, 2016 07:13 AM    Msg. 20 of 65       
Quote: --- Original message by: DOOM899

Jumpscares are too cheap
they are, are they https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOztnsBPrAA five nights at Freddy's man ><

FNAF is only is only scary if if you're under the age of 12.

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: May 4, 2016 08:08 AM    Msg. 21 of 65       
I wonder if he will listen to any suggestions that were given.

OctaVinyl

¡Voy A comer tù corazon!

Posted: May 4, 2016 08:11 AM    Msg. 22 of 65       
Maybe he will, maybe he won't. But suggestions are what he need Lel, so he'd actually listen to it.

Super Flanker

Posted: May 4, 2016 01:52 PM    Msg. 23 of 65       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94

Maybe he will. And then perhaps send the fruit of those suggestions to you to test before losing all patience and releasing his beta publicly.

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: May 5, 2016 10:55 AM    Msg. 24 of 65       
I expect it to be horrible. j/k I have nothing to contribute to this thread, bye then.

... make it a flood invasion and you have to escape. Oh wait, that's the start of both Halo 1 and Halo 2's campaigns, except with Covenant instead of Flood. Well, so much for the "fight or flight" idea, that's been exhausted apparently. And Marathon had you do pointed incursions. Gee, I guess we're out of typical fear factor concepts and generic war strategy themes. You could always try the walking sim. Then have your legs get bitten off, so it becomes a crawling sim. Gruesome, isn't it?
Edited by sparky on May 5, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Halonimator

https://imgur.com/ZBjOJ4L

Posted: May 5, 2016 11:48 AM    Msg. 25 of 65       
Make it in mombasa infested by the flood. also use blood decals and marine corpses.
Edited by Halonimator on May 5, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: May 5, 2016 04:04 PM    Msg. 26 of 65       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator

Make it in mombasa infested by the flood. also use blood decals and marine corpses.
Edited by Halonimator on May 5, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Alr3ady been done tho.

DOOM899

Posted: May 6, 2016 03:13 AM    Msg. 27 of 65       
Quote: --- Original message by: ThatGuyWhoLikesCats

Jumpscares are too cheap

FNAF is only is only scary if if you're under the age of 12.
that's a lie. that's lie that's a lie lie lie .

it's more like, age 10 two 50 see some you tube all age's can have a, Jumps scare from this game.

it seems scary to me, and I played some horror games, and none of them could give me a Jumps scare, yet five nights at Freddy's doesn't seem scary, at 1st but it dose scare me a bit, dono why but that's why I like it

OS Gmod has some five nights at Freddy's maps why not halo ce, and it could even be MP.

it would be a lot of fun
Edited by DOOM899 on May 6, 2016 at 03:17 AM
Edited by DOOM899 on May 6, 2016 at 05:58 AM

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: May 6, 2016 03:37 AM    Msg. 28 of 65       
What little brain cells I had left are finally fading away. Thank you.

DOOM899

Posted: May 6, 2016 05:59 AM    Msg. 29 of 65       
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
you had brain cells [JK}

Super Flanker

Posted: May 6, 2016 09:39 AM    Msg. 30 of 65       
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
you had brain cells [JK}

Scott

No.

Posted: May 6, 2016 10:09 AM    Msg. 31 of 65       
jpgs of kirby_422's face everywhere

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: May 6, 2016 10:42 AM    Msg. 32 of 65       

I asking for suggestions becuase i need them, i´m not jonhlex\Reus who doesnt listen to sugestions. If i ask is becuase i think i can improve my work

Right now i have to map designs

-A frosted siberian bsp with dozens of Forerunner structure, with a storm in the place (No flood, only some invisible enemies THAT WILL HUNT YOU DOWN IN THE WINTER NIGHT)

-An abandoned UNSC installation where evil experiments where done (it will be Flood, but a more bloody scary versión)

Super Flanker

Posted: May 6, 2016 11:03 AM    Msg. 33 of 65       

I asking for suggestions becuase i need them, i´m not jonhlex\Reus who doesnt listen to sugestions. If i ask is becuase i think i can improve my work

Right now i have to map designs

-A frosted siberian bsp with dozens of Forerunner structure, with a storm in the place (No flood, only some invisible enemies THAT WILL HUNT YOU DOWN IN THE WINTER NIGHT)

-An abandoned UNSC installation where evil experiments where done (it will be Flood, but a more bloody scary versión)

You need to simplify.

Cut out the abandoned UNSC installation stuffs and revisit it in another mod.

A snow themed bsp with forerunner structures + invisible enemies sounds like more than enough.

img for inspiration.

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: May 6, 2016 11:37 AM    Msg. 34 of 65       
This needs no description, im workin in a small flood campaign contein in one map.

My point are

+Strong and intimidating flood: this means they are dangerous, they will kill of 2 melee atacks

+Play as a marine: This means your vulnerable to infection, and you have to watch everthing

+Surrounding enemies: Once you enter a trigger they will spawn in front of you and behind of you

+Screamer: I already done this in HNH Episode one, its easy when using one bsp, but i have several bsp, but i will do it anyways

+Rich enviroment: Blood, scratches and hundreds of decals can be placed all around the walls

+A reason to be there: Theres must be a convincent story that put you there in the first place

+Gore content: not only on screamers, but in all the place, pieces of human debris al around the place.

+Suspense music: Put familiar but scary music on all the level

What do you think?
Should i change something?

ponies.
Edited by Kinnet on May 6, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: May 6, 2016 11:58 AM    Msg. 35 of 65       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
ponies.
go dig a hole and die in it

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri October 18, 2019 8:58 PM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website