A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »How to make tags

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: How to make tags (37 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

HyperLuke

csgosucks.org

Posted: May 9, 2016 10:28 PM    Msg. 1 of 37       
Hey guys, I am just starting out making Halo maps, I would like to know how to make custom weapon and vehicle tags. As well as modify existing tags. I am using gmax currently and I do have 3ds max 2014, so some tutorials for both those tools would be nice.

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: May 9, 2016 10:48 PM    Msg. 2 of 37       
I don't want to disturb you man, but google is a thing.

HyperLuke

csgosucks.org

Posted: May 9, 2016 11:07 PM    Msg. 3 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet

I searched up how to make tags and nothing came up.

Edited by HyperLuke on May 9, 2016 at 11:08 PM
Edited by HyperLuke on Jul 15, 2016 at 02:12 AM

ThatGuyWhoLikesCats

"If God is love, then you can call me Cupid"

Posted: May 10, 2016 01:30 AM    Msg. 4 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: HyperLuke

Google is sooooooo reliable

Maybe if you actually looked for tutorials, you wouldn't be annoying anyone. It isn't that hard to find CE tutorials.

HyperLuke

csgosucks.org

Posted: May 10, 2016 02:41 AM    Msg. 5 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: ThatGuyWhoLikesCats

Maybe if you actually looked for tutorials, you wouldn't be annoying anyone. It isn't that hard to find CE tutorials.

1. How am I being annoying by wondering how to make custom tags? Aren't we meant to promote originality>?

2. Yes, I have looked for tutorials, however, I found none.None on youtube, none on Halo Maps.

3. http://ghost.halomaps.org/tutorials none even in here.

ThatGuyWhoLikesCats

Posted: May 10, 2016 03:39 AM    Msg. 6 of 37       

1. How am I being annoying by wondering how to make custom tags? Aren't we meant to promote originality>?

2. Yes, I have looked for tutorials, however, I found none.None on youtube, none on Halo Maps.

3. http://ghost.halomaps.org/tutorials none even in here.

"Yes, I have looked for tutorials, however, I found none.None on youtube, none on Halo Maps."

nathaninthailand

I like carbines. Too much probably.

Posted: May 10, 2016 03:59 AM    Msg. 7 of 37       
I don't know what you mean by ghost.halomaps.org/tutorials not having any tutorials.
Making a vehicle tag or a weapon tag from scratch is super complicated, and requires a lot of steps that need taken. Have you installed the hek yet? When you do, click play now after install is finished and it opens up a really good text tutorial on how to make a map from start to finish. I wouldn't jump right in to making weapons and vehicles. Also, making such things from scratch requires that you be pretty good at 3D modeling. I am not, so I mostly just modify existing tags to suit my needs. I would recommend you get kornmans guerrilla and a hobo sapien along with the hek.
The term making a tag is, I think, a tad confusing, because it is more than just a single file, it is dozens of files that are all needed to be made, and compiled before you can even add it to sapien. Try modifying an existing map or make your own basic one using the default tags before you jump into the swamp that is vehicle creation. I fell in there once and couldn't get out for days.

HyperLuke

csgosucks.org

Posted: May 10, 2016 04:36 AM    Msg. 8 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: nathaninthailand
I don't know what you mean by ghost.halomaps.org/tutorials not having any tutorials.
Making a vehicle tag or a weapon tag from scratch is super complicated, and requires a lot of steps that need taken. Have you installed the hek yet? When you do, click play now after install is finished and it opens up a really good text tutorial on how to make a map from start to finish. I wouldn't jump right in to making weapons and vehicles. Also, making such things from scratch requires that you be pretty good at 3D modeling. I am not, so I mostly just modify existing tags to suit my needs. I would recommend you get kornmans guerrilla and a hobo sapien along with the hek.
The term making a tag is, I think, a tad confusing, because it is more than just a single file, it is dozens of files that are all needed to be made, and compiled before you can even add it to sapien. Try modifying an existing map or make your own basic one using the default tags before you jump into the swamp that is vehicle creation. I fell in there once and couldn't get out for days.

Ok, thanks anyway

In case you were wondering "That Guy who rapes cats" I am tying to find out how to make tags, not maps, not devmode, tags. Maybe next time use your brain (considering you have one). What are you 12?
Edited by HyperLuke on May 10, 2016 at 04:42 AM

ThatGuyWhoLikesCats

Posted: May 10, 2016 04:50 AM    Msg. 9 of 37       

Ok, thanks anyway

In case you were wondering "That Guy who rapes cats" I am tying to find out how to make tags, not maps, not devmode, tags. Maybe next time use your brain (considering you have one). What are you 12?

hello i am a cat enthusiast and i do not respect this mockery of myself and other like-minded enthusiasts

HyperLuke

csgosucks.org

Posted: May 10, 2016 05:04 AM    Msg. 10 of 37       

Ok, thanks anyway

hello i am a cat enthusiast and i do not respect this mockery of myself and other like-minded enthusiasts

I do not respect mockery of myself in your earlier post. I will not "Mock" you if you don't "Mock" me. I am simply here to gather useful information, so I can make custom maps for the community, and tags are a part of maps.

ThatGuyWhoLikesCats

Posted: May 10, 2016 05:14 AM    Msg. 11 of 37       

Ok, thanks anyway

I do not respect mockery of myself in your earlier post. I will not "Mock" you if you don't "Mock" me. I am simply here to gather useful information, so I can make custom maps for the community, and tags are a part of maps.

A map doesn't need custom tags for it to be good, just look at the maps featured here:http://art.halomaps.org/index.cfm?PG=0&sid=1&sort=1&Start=1
Hardly anyone makes custom tags anyway

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: May 10, 2016 08:54 AM    Msg. 12 of 37       
Welcome to the Halo Maps Forum community and to the activity of designing assets used by the Halo: Combat Evolved game!

I wrote an introductory paper displayed at this web site here:

http://halo.galaxyverge.com/

After you've read through that, you can browse my video tutorials on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/halomodtesters/playlists

There you can browse my playlist called "Halo Modding Complete Tutorial Series".

You asked about authoring tags. Tags come in different types, called "tag classes". You asked about vehicles and weapons. Vehicles and weapons in the game are identified by tag files with the file extensions .vehicle and .weapon. These are the object-based tags that the game uses to organize information about these things. Open Guerilla and make a new weapon and vehicle tag, and you can see all the kinds of information these have.

You should get some tools that community members have modified and designed for adding assets to Halo Custom Edition. Here is where you can get lots of programs and resources:

http://files.galaxyverge.com/hceheksk/

You should get "a hobo" to use instead of Sapien, and kornman00's version of Guerilla to use instead of Guerilla. You might also want to get tool_pro, but that's not necessary unless you are adding a lot of non-stock tags to a map when you compile the level into a map. You should get the Halo Editing Kit Plus 2, and run it with visual themes and desktop composition disabled, and in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3, and as an administrator. Use that to extract tags from the installation of Halo PC that you should already have on your computer, as tags for Halo Custom Edition. This will give you a lot of stock commercial weapon and vehicle tags for you to study and modify.

When you modify an existing tag, you should place it in a different location or give it a different name. To keep your tags folder organized, I recommend making a folder directory like so:

...\Halo Custom Edition\tags\hyperluke\levels
...\Halo Custom Edition\tags\hyperluke\weapons
...\Halo Custom Edition\tags\hyperluke\vehicles

Using a similar directory path within a sub-folder of your name will change the "tag pathname string" -- the tag names -- to identify them as yours to everyone who sees them as they are in your maps. This is how we give credit to authors and identify who authored particular tags. You can copy/paste stock tags into your own sub-folder if you intend to modify the stock tags in some way; otherwise, it will save map file space and be more organized if you just use the existing stock tags from the campaign levels. Tool does not need to compile into maps the resource tag data (bitmaps and sounds) from tags that it recognizes from the campaign, since it finds that image and sound data already within the bitmaps.map and sounds.map files. So only duplicate tags that you will be referencing in your scenario as modified from the original.

Super Flanker has some nice video tutorials on using 3DS Max for modeling, with the intention of designing and importing weapon and vehicle models into the game. I use 3DS Max for this purpose; someone here is working on Blender compatibility. In the mean time, use these 3DS Max Halo scripts:

http://files.galaxyverge.com/hceheksk/resources/Halo%203DS%20Max%20Scripts.zip

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: May 10, 2016 09:28 AM    Msg. 13 of 37       
This guy is just trying to troll.

sparky

Posted: May 10, 2016 10:06 AM    Msg. 14 of 37       
A person cannot troll his own thread.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: May 10, 2016 10:20 AM    Msg. 15 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

Incorrect.

That's like saying a person can't have intercourse with him/her self.

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: May 10, 2016 04:46 PM    Msg. 16 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: IOSAleX
I'm not trying to be a moderator here but If you don't have anything useful to say, then don't post. http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=15268

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=48943
Edited by Kinnet on May 10, 2016 at 04:50 PM

HyperLuke

csgosucks.org

Posted: May 10, 2016 08:05 PM    Msg. 17 of 37       
Yes, I know that maps take good level design to be good. I would still like to know how to make/modify tags. No-one has made good Halo 4 tags, and no-one seems to be able to make accurate Plasma Repeater and Plasma Launcher tags from Halo Reach.
Edited by HyperLuke on May 11, 2016 at 12:28 AM

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: May 11, 2016 06:15 AM    Msg. 18 of 37       

HyperLuke

csgosucks.org

Posted: May 11, 2016 08:35 AM    Msg. 19 of 37       

sparky

Posted: May 11, 2016 09:13 AM    Msg. 20 of 37       
Nice job, Altis.

HyperLuke, did you read message 12 here? Those video tutorials that Altis linked here I already linked you to indirectly through my YouTube playlist.

HyperLuke

csgosucks.org

Posted: May 11, 2016 06:03 PM    Msg. 21 of 37       
Nice job, Altis.

HyperLuke, did you read message 12 here? Those video tutorials that Altis linked here I already linked you to indirectly through my YouTube playlist.

Well this is gonna start a war.

sparky

Posted: May 13, 2016 11:26 AM    Msg. 22 of 37       
Just tell me if you considered the message I posted here, and if not, then why.

HyperLuke

csgosucks.org

Posted: May 14, 2016 12:11 AM    Msg. 23 of 37       
Just tell me if you considered the message I posted here, and if not, then why.

Yes, I have considered your message.
Halo Editing Kit Plus 2 does not respond, so I use Halo Editing Kit Plus 1.
I have bookmarked all the links you posted. The introductory post seems a little too complex. The resources a great (even though I don't know how I might need half of them)

I am sorry for this misunderstanding.

sparky

Posted: May 14, 2016 12:15 AM    Msg. 24 of 37       
[...]
You should get some tools that community members have modified and designed for adding assets to Halo Custom Edition. Here is where you can get lots of programs and resources:

You should get "a hobo" to use instead of Sapien, and kornman00's version of Guerilla to use instead of Guerilla. You might also want to get tool_pro, but that's not necessary unless you are adding a lot of non-stock tags to a map when you compile the level into a map. You should get the Halo Editing Kit Plus 2, and run it with visual themes and desktop composition disabled, and in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3, and as an administrator. Use that to extract tags from the installation of Halo PC that you should already have on your computer, as tags for Halo Custom Edition. This will give you a lot of stock commercial weapon and vehicle tags for you to study and modify.
[...]

Did you do that with the second version also?

The introductory post seems a little too complex. The resources a great (even though I don't know how I might need half of them)

I appreciate your feedback, and I have taken it under advisement for future revisions.
Edited by sparky on May 14, 2016 at 12:17 AM

HyperLuke

csgosucks.org

Posted: May 14, 2016 03:30 AM    Msg. 25 of 37       

[...]

[...]

Did you do that with the second version also?

The introductory post seems a little too complex. The resources a great (even though I don't know how I might need half of them)

I appreciate your feedback, and I have taken it under advisement for future revisions.
Edited by sparky on May 14, 2016 at 12:17 AM

No, I did not change the compatibility settings previously. I changes them and tried again and it worked.

HyperLuke

csgosucks.org

Posted: May 16, 2016 07:16 PM    Msg. 26 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: Deacialy

You must be new here.

So?

HyperLuke

csgosucks.org

Posted: May 16, 2016 10:46 PM    Msg. 27 of 37       

You must be new here.

So?

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/37162730.jpg

Your mom.

Super Flanker

Posted: May 17, 2016 05:16 AM    Msg. 28 of 37       

HyperLuke

csgosucks.org

Posted: May 17, 2016 06:45 PM    Msg. 29 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Probably most useful TUT out there for this.

So helpful.

Super Flanker

Posted: May 18, 2016 04:30 AM    Msg. 30 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Probably most useful TUT out there for this.

So helpful.

I try.

Alex

Posted: Oct 2, 2016 05:28 AM    Msg. 31 of 37       
Hey guys, I am just starting out making Halo maps, I would like to know how to make custom weapon and vehicle tags. As well as modify existing tags. I am using gmax currently and I do have 3ds max 2014, so some tutorials for both those tools would be nice.

Have you even figured this out yet?? Just wondering.
Edited by Super Alex on Oct 2, 2016 at 05:29 AM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Oct 2, 2016 08:32 AM    Msg. 32 of 37       
"custom weapon" is so broad anyway. Are you meaning to input all the values in the tags from the ground up?
It's so much easier to build off what's already there. Besides, the titles are pretty self explanatory if you have an inkling of intuition. Pretty sure an explanation of title pops up if you hover mouse over even?

New pistol? Take the pistol .weapon and replace .gbxmodel and .model_animations; done.
New AR? Rinse and repeat.

Super Flanker

Posted: Oct 2, 2016 05:18 PM    Msg. 33 of 37       
I prefer maps instead of tags tbh.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Oct 2, 2016 09:28 PM    Msg. 34 of 37       
nah mate obviously
tags > maps

#MakeTagsGreatAgain

The Master

Posted: Oct 5, 2016 07:30 AM    Msg. 35 of 37       
It'd be much easier to defend you if you weren't a god damn retard.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon September 23, 2019 12:27 PM 547 ms.
A Halo Maps Website