A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Tutorial website

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Tutorial website (48 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: May 11, 2016 08:56 PM    Msg. 1 of 48       
So, I've been working on a bit of a tutorial website the last few weeks as part of my Bachelor of computing systems. I'm just finishing it off now as I type, and I was wondering if anyone would like to run through it and give me some feedback.

I'm aware that the voice recordings are not always 100% top quality, my accent gets in the way some times, but if you could give me some feed back that would be great.

also, I'm not a great web designer, and I really don't care too much how the site itself looks, I'm not looking for aesthetics critique here. the content is what I'm concerned about.

Here's a link to the site:

http://www.eternitywarestudios.xyz/DLT/page1.html

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: May 11, 2016 09:20 PM    Msg. 2 of 48       
That website is an eye-sore

Storm

Send memes to www.loganpaul.com/cliffhanger

Posted: May 11, 2016 10:08 PM    Msg. 3 of 48       
You could seriously use a free web service like webs to create a better website.

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: May 11, 2016 11:08 PM    Msg. 4 of 48       
bro, did thou not readist the last few lines of my first comment, I don't care about how the website looks too much, what I do care is what you think of the content there in, had I the time to waste making a better looking website then I would. however with four other assignments due all in the same week, it is the content I'm worried about, I'm not being marked on what the site itself looks like.

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 11, 2016 11:15 PM    Msg. 5 of 48       
Black text on white background. Boom site done.

The content is worthless because its presented in an awful way.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: May 11, 2016 11:22 PM    Msg. 6 of 48       
Pretty much what dratt said. If I have to put extra effort in trying to read or view something, im not going to bother with it, and neither will the majority of people who go to that site. Keep it clean, keep it simple, and for the love of god never use comic sans.

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: May 11, 2016 11:24 PM    Msg. 7 of 48       
at least it isn't a Windows Help File xD

Ackrylic

Hue

Posted: May 11, 2016 11:30 PM    Msg. 8 of 48       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
at least it isn't a Windows Help File xD

Better than OP's website.

Dontu

Posted: May 11, 2016 11:41 PM    Msg. 9 of 48       
I know you are not looking for an aesthetics critique, but it is getting in the way of your content. If you know you are not a top notch designer its ok, but you cant ignore the basics. Dratt pointed you in the right direction, but if you feel inclined to add color go here https://color.adobe.com/explore/newest/

1. Pick two or three colors and go for it. Consistency and simplicity across font colors/sizes are key.

2. High contrast/varied backgrounds tend get in the way of content. Solid colors are a good choice (Black or white are easiest to design around).

3.Finally I don't know what the requirements are for your class, but a tutorial site is ambitious and its something that is never a bad thing. Just keep it up and you will improve.
Edited by Dontu on May 11, 2016 at 11:42 PM

Ok after quickly glossing through your content and watching your videos. I have two things to recommend.
1. Write out a script. It will help organize your thoughts when creating the website and help the flow of your videos. Your text on your site is equally as important as the video content.

2.Keep some water nearby and stay focused. In communicating the process of creating anything its easy to get sidetracked. Be sure to plan water breaks to help maintain your voice and organize your thoughts.
Edited by Dontu on May 11, 2016 at 11:51 PM

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: May 11, 2016 11:51 PM    Msg. 10 of 48       
Thanks for the feed back, I've altered the CSS and removed the background image.
I hope it is now a bit more readable:

http://www.eternitywarestudios.xyz/DLT/page1.html

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: May 11, 2016 11:58 PM    Msg. 11 of 48       
I don't get why we don't just setup a wikia. Easy access to everyone, talk/comment page thingies where people can discuss alternative methods, and when the trolls start spamming we can lock the page, and just add verified info from the talk/comment pages. Easy recovery from the revisions section too *shrug* Aren't they super easy to create or something?

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: May 12, 2016 01:20 AM    Msg. 12 of 48       
because I wanted to use my website instead.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: May 12, 2016 01:44 AM    Msg. 13 of 48       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
I don't get why we don't just setup a wikia. Easy access to everyone, talk/comment page thingies where people can discuss alternative methods, and when the trolls start spamming we can lock the page, and just add verified info from the talk/comment pages. Easy recovery from the revisions section too *shrug* Aren't they super easy to create or something?

I've been wanting to help create something like that too. I'd contribute with my knowledge of the HUD section (and other areas). I'd like to be able to maintain it and add relevant info whenever necessary.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: May 12, 2016 03:48 AM    Msg. 14 of 48       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse

I've been wanting to help create something like that too. I'd contribute with my knowledge of the HUD section (and other areas). I'd like to be able to maintain it and add relevant info whenever necessary.

This... this is a good idea.

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: May 12, 2016 04:04 AM    Msg. 15 of 48       
Almost 14 years of modding and injecting custom content into various versions of halo and nobody ever got the bright idea to put the tutorials onto an easy to use repository like a wiki.... ehh? xD

..do it!
Edited by OrangeJuice on May 12, 2016 at 04:05 AM

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 12, 2016 09:59 AM    Msg. 16 of 48       
Step 1. Dont use comic sans
Step 2. Use a white background if your not going to do any actual design

Boom done, content is now accessible for everyone.

A closer look also reveals that "Sapien" is spelt as "Sapian", which is incorrect.
Some of the videos are very hard to understand as well.

I'm all for someone uploading and creating a wiki for education on creating and using the HEK. At the very least, a sticky thread at the top of this forum where someone can continually update it with new tutorials.
Edited by Higuy on May 12, 2016 at 10:03 AM

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 12, 2016 01:22 PM    Msg. 17 of 48       

http://haloce3.wikia.com/

There you go. Get at it

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: May 12, 2016 07:03 PM    Msg. 18 of 48       
halodemomods.com, my popular old web site for halo demo mods and modding, used Mediawiki software.

I would advise avoiding Wikia.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: May 12, 2016 09:29 PM    Msg. 19 of 48       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
I would advise avoiding Wikia.

And why's that?

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: May 12, 2016 09:33 PM    Msg. 20 of 48       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy

Step 1. Dont use comic sans
Step 2. Use a white background if your not going to do any actual design

Boom done, content is now accessible for everyone.

A closer look also reveals that "Sapien" is spelt as "Sapian", which is incorrect.
Some of the videos are very hard to understand as well.

I'm all for someone uploading and creating a wiki for education on creating and using the HEK. At the very least, a sticky thread at the top of this forum where someone can continually update it with new tutorials.
Edited by Higuy on May 12, 2016 at 10:03 AM

sorry, must have missed that. as for font. I LIKE comic sans. as far as I can see, I'm not being marked on how the website looks, I also own the domain, so as far as I'm concerned I can set it up however I like and white backgrounds are boring AF.

but yeah, come to think of it, the fact that there is no modding wiki for Halo Custom Edition is quite surprising.

sparky

Posted: May 13, 2016 08:58 AM    Msg. 21 of 48       
Wikis are not suitable for instruction, because instructions do not need to be crowd-edited, and in particular, Wikia is poorly done, and Mediawiki software is not the right tool from the toolbox for this job.

--

Jobalisk, your web site content needs revision. It has flaws in language, consistency and brevity. The content is shallow, and the wording is long; you need more content within fewer words -- consider and revise more. You should not use colloquial language for scholastic work. Scholastic work must have proper citations, such as MLA and Chicago. The citation for the image depiction geometry errors is currently "Here is a copy of Halo Custom Mapping Communities famous Tool error message chart:". This web site forum is called Halo Maps Forum, not Halo Custom Mapping Communities.

Your video tutorials also need to be more concise. You should start the video without saying, "Hey, Peeps," but rather saying something similar to, "This is the fifth video in my Halo Custom Map Design series. I will now demonstrate how to compile the level geometry using Tool from the Halo Editing Kit, and prepare the level for additional tag content." At the start of the video recording, you should already have all the relevant programs open, so you don't have to find them on your computer while the audience watches.

For college work, this web site would be left unconsidered. Many revisions are necessary. Check your spelling, if nothing else.

Reconsider the appropriateness of this tutorial to, as you said, being "part of a paper on digital learning technologies". If you just need to make a web site, and the focus is on web site design, then you will need to make additional improvements such as separating links by line breaks rather than underscores and improving the overall legibility and layout of the web site. Unless a tutorial step uses 20 pages of revised content, consolidate the content onto one webpage. That way, if someone wants to print the instructions, they do not need to waste paper.

Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 09:18 AM

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: May 13, 2016 09:05 PM    Msg. 22 of 48       

Wikis are not suitable for instruction, because instructions do not need to be crowd-edited, and in particular, Wikia is poorly done, and Mediawiki software is not the right tool from the toolbox for this job.

--

Jobalisk, your web site content needs revision. It has flaws in language, consistency and brevity. The content is shallow, and the wording is long; you need more content within fewer words -- consider and revise more. You should not use colloquial language for scholastic work. Scholastic work must have proper citations, such as MLA and Chicago. The citation for the image depiction geometry errors is currently "Here is a copy of Halo Custom Mapping Communities famous Tool error message chart:". This web site forum is called Halo Maps Forum, not Halo Custom Mapping Communities.

Your video tutorials also need to be more concise. You should start the video without saying, "Hey, Peeps," but rather saying something similar to, "This is the fifth video in my Halo Custom Map Design series. I will now demonstrate how to compile the level geometry using Tool from the Halo Editing Kit, and prepare the level for additional tag content." At the start of the video recording, you should already have all the relevant programs open, so you don't have to find them on your computer while the audience watches.

For college work, this web site would be left unconsidered. Many revisions are necessary. Check your spelling, if nothing else.

Reconsider the appropriateness of this tutorial to, as you said, being "part of a paper on digital learning technologies". If you just need to make a web site, and the focus is on web site design, then you will need to make additional improvements such as separating links by line breaks rather than underscores and improving the overall legibility and layout of the web site. Unless a tutorial step uses 20 pages of revised content, consolidate the content onto one webpage. That way, if someone wants to print the instructions, they do not need to waste paper.

Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 09:18 AM

thanks for the feedback, I'll keep that in mind and go over what I've written so far.

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: May 13, 2016 11:19 PM    Msg. 23 of 48       
without saying, "Hey, Peeps," but rather saying something similar to, "This is the fifth video in my Halo Custom Map Design series. I will now demonstrate how to compile the level geometry using Tool from the Halo Editing Kit, and prepare the level for additional tag content."

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: May 14, 2016 12:30 AM    Msg. 24 of 48       
um, what is the point of this post^?

helldeath360

Posted: May 14, 2016 01:35 AM    Msg. 25 of 48       
Thank you very much for the tutorials, no i'll be able to create a map without those hundreds of mistakes that sometimes is so difficult to fix

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: May 14, 2016 04:05 AM    Msg. 26 of 48       
^あの。。。だれ?

Jesse

Posted: May 14, 2016 04:13 AM    Msg. 27 of 48       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jobalisk
^あの。。。だれ?

知らない男の子。

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: May 14, 2016 06:39 AM    Msg. 28 of 48       
^あの。。。だれ?

知らない男の子。

ひどいな~、この子 「チュートリアルに助かりました」 って言ってるだけなのに。

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: May 14, 2016 07:51 AM    Msg. 29 of 48       
Stop swearing in anime language.

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: May 14, 2016 04:08 PM    Msg. 30 of 48       
um, what is the point of this post^?

what is the point of this thread

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: May 14, 2016 04:30 PM    Msg. 31 of 48       
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
^あの。。。だれ?

知らない男の子。

ひどいな~、この子 「チュートリアルに助かりました」 って言ってるだけなのに。

まさか! それはしりませんでした。
Edited by Jobalisk on May 14, 2016 at 04:31 PM

Jesse

Posted: May 14, 2016 07:52 PM    Msg. 32 of 48       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
Stop swearing in anime language.

I think it's pretty cool that you could identify it.

I love Japanese script. Been writing it for years. I can read about 300 kanji but only write about 250 (for now).

So yeah.. Halo and stuff.

I've been contributing to the website, but I really need to do more research before I confidently post more. I know what many tags *can* do, but I need to add what they can't do (which is tougher than it sounds). I mean, two years ago hardly anyone knew about moving hud pieces. Now we can do it!

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: May 14, 2016 08:11 PM    Msg. 33 of 48       
Quote: --- Original message by: tarikja
How it feels to read this thread:

http://i.imgur.com/9A1tFrb.png

This is some damn good meme material my friend!

sparky

Posted: May 15, 2016 02:25 AM    Msg. 34 of 48       
Good luck with your project. How much time remains to complete it?

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: May 15, 2016 09:57 AM    Msg. 35 of 48       

I love Japanese script. Been writing it for years. I can read about 300 kanji but only write about 250 (for now)!

Get a lyfe u weeabo fgt.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue November 19, 2019 4:16 AM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website