A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo CE Wikia (CE3s Wikia)

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next
Author Topic: Halo CE Wikia (CE3s Wikia) (78 messages, Page 1 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: May 12, 2016 02:46 PM    Msg. 1 of 78       
So everyone over on another thread wanted a Wikia for tutorials, ect...

Well,
Here you go. http://haloce3.wikia.com/

If anyone has some cool designs or something to help spice up the front page, let me know. Otherwise the best thing to do is contribute to adding: tutorials, information on big things related to CE, information on projects, ects.

At the moment it's only for registered wikia users to prevent trolls. If you want this changed, let me know.

Some sample pages you can look at to get started:
Maps: http://haloce3.wikia.com/wiki/Takedown:_The_Introduction
Tutorials: http://haloce3.wikia.com/wiki/Aether
Edited by MatthewDratt on May 12, 2016 at 03:32 PM

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: May 12, 2016 04:46 PM    Msg. 2 of 78       
Yessssss. Now to register and figure out how to add stuff.

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: May 12, 2016 04:55 PM    Msg. 3 of 78       
Aye. I also lack knowledge of wikiCode.

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 12, 2016 05:00 PM    Msg. 4 of 78       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
Aye. I also lack knowledge of wikiCode.

There is a simplified editor thats pretty easy to figure out.
Edited by MatthewDratt on May 12, 2016 at 05:00 PM

Jesse

Posted: May 12, 2016 05:33 PM    Msg. 5 of 78       
Damn. Kirby's page is far better than mine.

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 12, 2016 06:54 PM    Msg. 6 of 78       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Damn. Kirby's page is far better than mine.

Just letting you know you've been adding categories, not pages, which is fine if you plan to add a lot of detailed pages, but I think you might be mistaking categories for pages.

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: May 12, 2016 07:56 PM    Msg. 7 of 78       
Wile it include information about users like haloce3\wikia\Jonhlex_2(puto).html or haloce3\wikia\EmmanuelCD(flojo).html?

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 12, 2016 08:11 PM    Msg. 8 of 78       
If you want it to. I'll let anything Halo: CE related slid. As long as its not illegal or something.

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: May 12, 2016 08:33 PM    Msg. 9 of 78       
Nah, i just want to see the public reactions towards our portafolio and other works...

Jesse

Posted: May 12, 2016 10:30 PM    Msg. 10 of 78       
Quote: --- Original message by: EmmanuelCD
Wile it include information about users like haloce3\wikia\Jonhlex_2(puto).html or haloce3\wikia\EmmanuelCD(flojo).html?

I don't think there is a profanity filter, but you probably should keep that out.

Information on other users would be very subjective and would easily lead to no good.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: May 13, 2016 12:01 AM    Msg. 11 of 78       
unless they're self written and moderated by Dratt (or his chosen delegates) for accuracy. Should only be for notable members of the community and their contributions (ie Dratt, Bullet, Jesse, Kirby, Masterz, SS, Gravemind, Elijah) and what they've contributed

Jesse

Posted: May 13, 2016 12:21 AM    Msg. 12 of 78       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
unless they're self written and moderated by Dratt (or his chosen delegates) for accuracy. Should only be for notable members of the community and their contributions (ie Dratt, Bullet, Jesse, Kirby, Masterz, SS, Gravemind, Elijah) and what they've contributed

I was thinking this earlier too. I don't want someone to just go in and delete everything or replace random unnoticeable words with junk.

Since it's Matt's site, he can decide.

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 13, 2016 12:25 AM    Msg. 13 of 78       
As said, it's members only atm. If it becomes bad then sure I can make it certain people only but I'll leave it open for the moment and hope people are only there to contribute. Ban those who get in the way and restore from history anything they change.

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: May 13, 2016 09:28 AM    Msg. 14 of 78       
I dislike Wikia and advise against using wiki software for the purposes implied. I think wiki software is not the proper tool. I have used wiki software for such purposes and I speak from experience; I have given due consideration and tried testing, so believe my statements.

Instead, I advocate a static design such as my http://halo.galaxyverge.com web site. (Be warned that taking content from my web site and putting it on said Wikia site will be considered an act of plagiarism and public disrespect because of what I have just written in the above paragraph.)

Consider: Are you going to include sources such as IGN Presents The History of Halo which the Wikipedia article cites? Or are you going to make this Wikia site just content presented by the Halo Maps Forum community members?
Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 09:41 AM

Branding this wiki site as "CE3" is inappropriate. On the CE3 web site, it describes CE3 as:

Quote: What is CE3?

CE3 is the brand of online events and shows created by MattDratt and Slow Bullet (with other crew members joining us throughout the years). Our main shows consist of the HaloMaps Update, CE3 Live, and Server Side (Coming soon).

CE3 as described does not match the intents and purposes of an informative guide regarding how to make maps. But neither does sharing map files. So either revise the vision for CE3 or don't brand "CE3" within the Wikia site you're making.
Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 09:47 AM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: May 13, 2016 10:04 AM    Msg. 15 of 78       
Naming semantics. Do they really matter that much? Brand evolution is a thing too bruh.

I disagree with your opinion of how instructions need not be crowd edited. All crowd edits with genuinely good intentions would ultimately only benefit the reader by adding more knowledge for consideration would it not? I can't see how that would be a bad thing.

I haven't done any backend work for wikia, so I wouldn't know, but you still haven't given specifics on your experience.

The purpose as I understand it is to combine all knowledge accumulated over the years into one easily accessible database (that has no distracting music might I add). From strictly a user's standpoint, I think wikia is apt for the task.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 13, 2016 10:12 AM    Msg. 16 of 78       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

I dislike Wikia and advise against using wiki software for the purposes implied. I think wiki software is not the proper tool. I have used wiki software for such purposes and I speak from experience; I have given due consideration and tried testing, so believe my statements.

Instead, I advocate a static design such as my http://halo.galaxyverge.com web site. (Be warned that taking content from my web site and putting it on said Wikia site will be considered an act of plagiarism and public disrespect because of what I have just written in the above paragraph.)

Consider: Are you going to include sources such as IGN Presents The History of Halo which the Wikipedia article cites? Or are you going to make this Wikia site just content presented by the Halo Maps Forum community members?
Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 09:41 AM

Branding this wiki site as "CE3" is inappropriate. On the CE3 web site, it describes CE3 as:

Quote: What is CE3?

CE3 is the brand of online events and shows created by MattDratt and Slow Bullet (with other crew members joining us throughout the years). Our main shows consist of the HaloMaps Update, CE3 Live, and Server Side (Coming soon).

CE3 as described does not match the intents and purposes of an informative guide regarding how to make maps. But neither does sharing map files. So either revise the vision for CE3 or don't brand "CE3" within the Wikia site you're making.
Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 09:47 AM

oh lol give them a break man, they quickly responded to a community request and your scrutinizing them because it says CE3 on it? what does it even matter? its not like they are making money from it or something else either.

Your website is pretty terrible in design and looks like a giant wall of text. A "static" website is never a great idea when trying to present large volumes of information like this. Wikia might not be the greatest thing ever, but it quickly lets multiple people set up information in a comprehensive manner and allows a wide range of people to access the information, which is exactly what is needed here. It has a table of contents, a search feature, and more...

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: May 13, 2016 10:16 AM    Msg. 17 of 78       
Want me to post some in English and Spanish?

sparky

Posted: May 13, 2016 10:37 AM    Msg. 18 of 78       
From what I can see, this Wikia site is about CE3. I mod and I have nothing to do with CE3. Therefore, I am excluded from the audience of this web site.

I am not obligated to share the anecdotal accounts of my experiences, but only the considered conclusions. If you honestly want to read long paragraphs in great detail, contact and talk with people who have started Wikia pages.

Wikia is not the only database-using software. From what I can see, the ONLY advantage to using Wikia at this point -- even if the content authors are lazy and dependent upon others to revise their written contributions, or have no original content to share themselves -- is to target audience members who are comfortable using Wikia.com.

I cited my web site halo.galaxyverge.com as an example of a static page that is informative. It is certainly not a "wall of text". Feel free to criticize it separately, but understand what it is by first reading what it says. It is not a message bulletin board like this forum. It does not contain short blurbs like you are used to reading. Don't treat a cow like a horse, because that is not what it is.
Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 10:57 AM

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: May 13, 2016 10:48 AM    Msg. 19 of 78       
"The Halo: Custom Edition wikia!"

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 13, 2016 10:57 AM    Msg. 20 of 78       
From what I can see, this Wikia site is about CE3. I mod and I have nothing to do with CE3. Therefore, I am excluded from the audience of this web site.

Other variants of halo ce were already taken. Don't use the site if you don't like it.

sparky

Posted: May 13, 2016 10:58 AM    Msg. 21 of 78       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt

Other variants of halo ce were already taken. Don't use the site if you don't like it.

Please don't feel compelled to make obvious statements on my account. Do tell me, though, if you are willing to discuss revisions for your work. If you are not, then I'll leave. But isn't a wiki's central purpose the ability to provide revisions? Then why are you unwilling to accept criticism? If you don't want to accept criticism and revision, then why did you start a wiki? Perhaps you should not have done so.

Well,

If anyone has some cool designs or something to help spice up the front page, let me know. Otherwise the best thing to do is contribute to adding: tutorials, information on big things related to CE, information on projects, ects.

At the moment it's only for registered wikia users to prevent trolls. If you want this changed, let me know.

The phrase "et cetera" is abbreviated as "etc.".
Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 11:02 AM
Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Isn't it obvious that if you refuse to consider revisions here, you will refuse to consider revisions there also? The entire purpose of wiki software is to allow for others' revisions. So again, maybe you are not the right person to make a wiki for this purpose, maybe the wiki software is not suitable for this purpose, and maybe Wikia is not the best wiki software solution for this purpose.
Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Where is your heart? Do you care about what is said and done, or do you just want to look good? Because even atrocities can be sugar-coated. Think about that the next time you prepare a CE3 video event.
Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 11:17 AM
Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 11:19 AM

You discriminate other people's works for your CE3 event. Now discriminate yourself, lest you be branded a hypocrite.
Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 11:22 AM

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 13, 2016 11:29 AM    Msg. 22 of 78       
I love poetry.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: May 13, 2016 11:37 AM    Msg. 23 of 78       
I love TL:DR's

sparky

Posted: May 13, 2016 11:49 AM    Msg. 24 of 78       
I love poetry.

Come back to what I've said when you are sober.
Don't make me regret giving you the benefit of the doubt in your capacity for comprehension.
Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 11:51 AM

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 13, 2016 11:51 AM    Msg. 25 of 78       

Well,

The phrase "et cetera" is abbreviated as "etc.".

If this was wikia you could fix this for me.

sparky

Posted: May 13, 2016 11:52 AM    Msg. 26 of 78       
...but you would reject my revision just like you reject it on this forum. Same person, same rejection. Software does not change the user.

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 13, 2016 12:02 PM    Msg. 27 of 78       
...but you would reject my revision just like you reject it on this forum. Same person, same rejection. Software does not change the user.

Why would I reject a change from ect to etc when the latter is correct?

sparky

Posted: May 13, 2016 02:43 PM    Msg. 28 of 78       
I don't have the patience to contribute to a web site whose owner says:

Quote: Don't use the site if you don't like it.

Most wiki site owners, when lazy, default to:

Quote: If you don't like it, fix it!

What you have said indicates playing nonsensical games of nepotism and clique favorites. If you can't take criticism, then don't make a wiki.

Or why should I contribute thoughtful, worthwhile information to a web site whose owner does not care enough to even correct their own spelling mistakes? If you don't care barely enough about your own web site, then you are telling everyone who sees it that it is not worth their time to care about it either. I've tried helping people like this, and their responses are your responses: "Don't bother me, go away."
Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 02:45 PM

Or why should I waste my time attempting to help someone who lacks the capacity to respect me and what I have to say and do? Your statements to me have been alienating and disrespectful. Why should I associate with someone like this?
Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 02:50 PM

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 13, 2016 03:15 PM    Msg. 29 of 78       
or just stop posting and dont do anything? why bother making a big deal out of it if you dont care?
Edited by Higuy on May 13, 2016 at 03:16 PM

Jesse

Posted: May 13, 2016 04:04 PM    Msg. 30 of 78       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy

or just stop posting and dont do anything? why bother making a big deal out of it if you dont care?
Edited by Higuy on May 13, 2016 at 03:16 PM

Because people absolutely must know that he doesn't care.

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 13, 2016 05:42 PM    Msg. 31 of 78       
Why should I associate with someone like this?

Because I'm sexier, more respected, ect.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: May 13, 2016 07:14 PM    Msg. 32 of 78       
I am not obligated to share the anecdotal accounts of my experiences, but only the considered conclusions. If you honestly want to read long paragraphs in great detail, contact and talk with people who have started Wikia pages.

Ironic coming from a guy always writes pages of text. I ask you to give support to your opinion and now you refuse? Interesting.

Why should I associate with someone like this?

Because I'm sexier, more respected, ect.

Well I'm not going to disagree.
Edited by Spartan314 on May 13, 2016 at 07:35 PM

StormUndBlackbird

https://youtube.com/StormUndBlackbird

Posted: May 13, 2016 07:29 PM    Msg. 33 of 78       

sparky

Posted: May 13, 2016 11:25 PM    Msg. 34 of 78       
I don't like being ignored. I know that wiki software does not meet the purpose. I tried warning you all, and nobody here seems to want to listen to me.

Something very basic, as seen on this page, which is somewhat similar to my web site page:

http://haloce3.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_hud_interface
http://halo.galaxyverge.com/index/FileFormats/Actor

How will you upload files to Wikia? How are users expected to upload maps and tags?

Kirby is using MediaFire. (http://haloce3.wikia.com/wiki/HUD_Extensions) Are we going to be expected to upload files to our own third-party file hosting accounts? When I added uploading to my halodemomods.com wiki, it was storing files on the same server. Does Wikia let you upload .map files and tags? What is their file removal and usage policy? What is their permissions policy and how well do they respond with their customer support department? I think these are poor-quality situations.

How will you separate technical information from creative information? For example, on my wiki, I had a "dictionary" category which had all the different terms, both lore and technical, in one place. I had certain types of pages that had long lists of uploads, such as the Mod Database and Tools pages. There were categories specific to each version of Halo.

This Wikia site has the potential to become as unwieldy as the intensity of effort I put into attempting to organize HDM.

Now if it is still decided that Wikia is worth using, then I am going to apply massive quantities of information to it. But don't just ignore me or make fun of me, like a disrespectful teenager.

---

Did you read their Terms of Use?

Quote: The Site is not and shall not function as an archive. We have no liability to you or any other person for loss, damage, or destruction to your content. You are solely responsible at your sole cost and expense for creating backup copies and replacing any content you post or store on the Service or provide to us.

When you post content on the Site, you authorize and direct us to make such copies thereof as we deem necessary in order to facilitate the posting and storage of the content on the Site.

Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 11:38 PM

It is what is NOT said in their terms, which are very thin, which is concerning. For example, their removal policy and in what situations the haloce3 will be deleted or locked.

From what little is said, it can be determined that they can use uploaded content however they like. And the page has over 20 ads reported by Ad Block. Do you really want all our contributions to seed ads?
Edited by sparky on May 13, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Pepzee

Posted: May 14, 2016 12:27 AM    Msg. 35 of 78       
Do you really want all our contributions to seed ads?

There are ads here on Halomaps that we are already subjected to. I cannot imagine that a few more ads will be a huge factor for most of us.
Edited by Pepzee on May 14, 2016 at 12:27 AM

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon October 14, 2019 8:11 AM 282 ms.
A Halo Maps Website