A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Tag Permissions Problem

Author Topic: Tag Permissions Problem (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

ThePolice

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 09:27 PM    Msg. 1 of 9       
So ever since i started using kornman I have had trouble with the permissions of the tags I have edited. For example one of my folders looks like this when I open a tag in kornman:

But when I open the same folder in a regular window it looks like this:

I saw a post somewhere on this forum about fixing this, I don't remember what the post said to do but when I followed the instructions the files with the lock symbols would not show in kornman when opening tags. It only fixed the problem of editing NEW tags so that they don't have locks anymore.

I would like to copy those locked tags to another location but when I do the file copies to the new location but the tag is an older version of it and not the newer version that I want.

Is there a way I can fix all the tags with the lock at once because there are many of these scattered around in my tags subfolders.
Edited by ThePolice on Aug 17, 2017 at 04:40 PM

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 11:36 PM    Msg. 2 of 9       
have you tried using kornman with admin privileges ?

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 12:19 AM    Msg. 3 of 9       
disable UAC

Nickster5000

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 01:05 AM    Msg. 4 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
disable UAC

wouldn't recommend that for security reasons... what you can do is right click kornmann (and sapien... a hobo is kornmann's version), and check the "run as administrator" checkbox. It'll force it to run as an admin each time so that those issues dont happen. Be careful when you compile new stuff though, because tool will compile it into the "compatibility files" section in your windows folder (unless you run tool as an admin, but it will erase any debug info after it is done with the operation).

ThePolice

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 01:58 AM    Msg. 5 of 9       
Thanks. I think I figured it out from this topic: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=48376 . All of my locked files are in AppData/Local/VirtualStore. So I can copy them from there into my tags folder. Then running all of the HEK programs as admin should do the trick. Should of searched the problem b4 posting :p.

RadWolfie

Programmer

Posted: Jun 16, 2016 12:52 PM    Msg. 6 of 9       
More accurate reference: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=49336

If you're using Home edition and NTFS partition, there's a third-party tool allows you do the same thing with editing permissions under Windows properties' Security tab. It's called "NTFS Permissions Tool" made by DBC Studio. From there, just simplify add yourself to Halo's directory with full access. Then you won't get any files creation moved to virtual store's directory.

P.S. In same thread link I gave you, I made a simple tool to enforce failure per executable file(s) if do not have permission to primary directory instead of sending to VirtualStore directory as alternate method.
Edited by RadWolfie on Jun 16, 2016 at 12:52 PM

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Jun 16, 2016 01:03 PM    Msg. 7 of 9       
disable UAC

Someone is with me!

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Jun 16, 2016 01:38 PM    Msg. 8 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Master
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
disable UAC

Someone is with me!
I think he was mocking you

Not sure how that is possible consider my recent post anti-UAC was about 23 hours after Masterz post

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jun 16, 2016 07:58 PM    Msg. 9 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: ThePolice
So ever since i started using kornman I have had trouble with the permissions of the tags I have edited.
Windows since Vista has implemented (finally) stricter security and limited access to both the system files and the Program Files directories. As a result it will not allow programs without administrative privilege to write append or update files in the C:\Program Files (x86)\ directory or sub-directories. For compatibility it re-directs those write requests to C:\Users\{User_name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\. which Kornman's program is seeing.

To get around this issue and have all your tags reside in the \tags folder DO NOT turn off the UAC just change the permissions on the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\ folder to grant Users of that machine full access to just that directory structure.

ps: disabling the UAC is equivalent to looking down the barrel of a gun to see if it is loaded. Sure you can get away with it, but every professional knows not to do it.

Edited by Dennis on Jun 16, 2016 at 08:03 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun October 20, 2019 9:46 PM 171 ms.
A Halo Maps Website