A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Can you use gmax for all purposes or do you need 3ds max

Author Topic: Can you use gmax for all purposes or do you need 3ds max (28 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

S12Spark

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 04:15 PM    Msg. 1 of 28       
Can you use gmax for all purposes such as creating maps? I don't plan to create weapons or animate anytime soon. I might make scenery and whatnot, can you import models from hce with gmax?

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 04:43 PM    Msg. 2 of 28       
Yes you can. Its not easy nor is it useful to do so, but it is indeed possible if you know the basics.

Alternatively, 3DS max student licenses: the way of the future (also free)

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 06:43 PM    Msg. 3 of 28       
anyone who legit hasn't upgraded to 2017 yet is honestly missing out.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 08:47 PM    Msg. 4 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
Yes you can. Its not easy nor is it useful to do so, but it is indeed possible if you know the basics.

You are wrong there snipes gmax contains less than half of the tools required to make a DECENT map.

If you are talking about making a box map or a simple displacment plane with a sky than yeah sure knock your self out.

But if you want to role with the big boys get your self a copy of Max.

Seriously max does a ton and half compared to gmax. Providing you know what you are doing and know how to use the software effectively.

Also remember that max has and always will have the best export/import support.

If you are wondering which release of max to install any version after 2010 should be good.

Personally I have v12, v16, v18 all installed though v16 is my mainstay.

The others I keep to save out scenes for other people in older formats.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 11:28 PM    Msg. 5 of 28       
flanker, you misunderstand. That's basically what I was alluding to.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Jul 2, 2016 05:22 AM    Msg. 6 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper

You are wrong there snipes gmax contains less than half of the tools required to make a DECENT map.

.. You know, the truth is, you don't even need any modeling program to model anything; JMS files are plaintext files, meaning that even notepad could make the highest quality of maps; If your computer is capable of running Halo (or, 99% of computers that can't run halo too), you would be capable of making a model, with just the built in software. Sure, we'd all call you crazy, using notepad (or, vi if you're using a unix system) to type up all your vertexes and faces, but there is absolutely nothing (apart from your sanity) stopping you from doing so.

XxPopeAK49xX

It's better being a jerk.

Posted: Jul 2, 2016 05:31 AM    Msg. 7 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422

.. You know, the truth is, you don't even need any modeling program to model anything; JMS files are plaintext files, meaning that even notepad could make the highest quality of maps.

Don't reveal my secrets.

Edited by XxPopeAK49xX on Jul 2, 2016 at 05:31 AM

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Jul 2, 2016 06:21 AM    Msg. 8 of 28       
haha is that for real?

I always assumed the whole reason we needed an exporter is because it's some top secret encrypted file with explicit formatting rules

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Jul 2, 2016 01:24 PM    Msg. 9 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: tarikja
Is there somewhere a guide to creating BSP's in notepad/ plain text?
Or can someone give me the Blood Gulch BSP in text? Just for getting an idea how it looks like.

Export the Bloodgulch to JMS and open the file in notepad

notrododo93

Project Armonia lead (and only) developer

Posted: Jul 4, 2016 06:23 AM    Msg. 10 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Quote: --- Original message by: tarikja
Is there somewhere a guide to creating BSP's in notepad/ plain text?
Or can someone give me the Blood Gulch BSP in text? Just for getting an idea how it looks like.

Export the Bloodgulch to JMS and open the file in notepad

Which brings back to the old question; how is he supposed to do that, if he doesn't have a 3d modeling program yet?

Mootjuh

Hilariously derailing oneliner

Posted: Jul 4, 2016 12:37 PM    Msg. 11 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: HyperSean

It's so buggy it's not even funny.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jul 4, 2016 12:51 PM    Msg. 12 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh

Service packs exist for this reason.

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Jul 4, 2016 01:02 PM    Msg. 13 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh

Its not as buggy as 2016 at least

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jul 4, 2016 01:05 PM    Msg. 14 of 28       
Gmax has most of the tools needed to make content for CE. Gmax is the program I started with and it was good. I later switched to 3dsmax because of easier workflow between tools such as exporting into the engine, but is not important for someone who is just starting. If and when you do move to 3dsmax use 3dsmax 8 as a community standard. When using version 8 it allows you to work with others within the community freely without worrying about compatability problems between 3dsmax versions. Most tools for halo support version 8. You may be tempted to go to newer versions but most of the added features of recent versions are not necessary for modeling for halo 1. If you must use modeling features of the later versions do it early in the creation stage and then import your model into max8 that way you get back to the community standard.

SOI_7

Welcome to the true man's world

Posted: Jul 4, 2016 01:32 PM    Msg. 15 of 28       
Gmax and UAC are not friends, though

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jul 4, 2016 02:43 PM    Msg. 16 of 28       
"Community Standard" is a joke. Very few people here actually use max 8 anymore, and most use 2010 or higher. There are also tools that work better on newer max versions.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jul 4, 2016 07:59 PM    Msg. 17 of 28       
I'd still have 2010 if only my student license hadn't expired.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jul 4, 2016 08:05 PM    Msg. 18 of 28       
You'd be surprised how many sponsership licenses they used to give out a year or so ago.

Pretty much everytime you enrolled for 3d in college or even applied for a random course in say the basics/ fundementals of game design they would hand you one for free depending on the core app you would be using for home work and such.

Alot of people just used to waste them though and not spare them a second thought.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Jul 5, 2016 04:43 AM    Msg. 19 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314

Get the license for sailing the Seven seas, if you know what I mean...

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Jul 5, 2016 01:19 PM    Msg. 20 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314

Get the license for sailing the Seven seas, if you know what I mean...

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/man-pirate-hat-downloading-music-laptop-dressed-as-cd-his-mouth-his-computer-movies-white-background-36796736.jpg

Ilegal Links Intensifies...

Edited by EmmanuelCD on Jul 5, 2016 at 02:38 PM

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Jul 5, 2016 01:23 PM    Msg. 21 of 28       
that url tho

S12Spark

Posted: Jul 12, 2016 01:54 AM    Msg. 22 of 28       
Ok, so I'm obviously not going to purchase 3ds max anytime soon, so it's either going to be Gmax or Blender, but, are there any animation exporters or model exporters/importers for blender? Is blender even a viable option?

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jul 12, 2016 02:45 AM    Msg. 23 of 28       
Blender is much harder to go through because of a lack of support, but that seems to be changing as of recent. You can also get a student version of 3DS max or through alternate means, and go from there.

If neither of those suit your fancy, then unfortunately GMAX is where your only option remains.

S12Spark

Posted: Jul 12, 2016 02:49 AM    Msg. 24 of 28       
Gmax it is, it seems plausible to use, and it has the same UI as 3ds max, although lacking some features, I am not very skilled in animation, compared to a team such as CMT or CAD. But I am going to attempt to learn.

What are the core differences between gmax and 3ds max. What am I missing out on?

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jul 12, 2016 04:16 AM    Msg. 25 of 28       
tools, support, usability. Words of advice, don't try to animate with GMAX. The rotation gizmo is the same as the translation one, and it sucks.

S12Spark

Posted: Jul 12, 2016 05:09 AM    Msg. 26 of 28       
That's what my next project was going to be, let's hope it's possible. Wanted to follow matts dropship tutorial.

And I meant specific features if you can list any, I am appreciate of all the help so far. Thank you
Edited by S12Spark on Jul 12, 2016 at 05:10 AM

Fulsam

Importing Didney.wrl...

Posted: Jul 13, 2016 02:21 AM    Msg. 27 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: S12Spark
Ok, so I'm obviously not going to purchase 3ds max anytime soon, so it's either going to be Gmax or Blender, but, are there any animation exporters or model exporters/importers for blender? Is blender even a viable option?

Time to shamelessly plug my work here.

As of now, Blender is not a viable option. However, I've been working towards changing that with the HBT toolset. So far, I've got a model importer working, which can import nodes, markers, UVs and more. You can learn more about it at http://halobt.blogspot.com/, as well as try it out for yourself.

As for exporting, the only thing we've got so far is Cyboryxmen's experimental .JMS exporter, the thread for which can be found here: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=42486. I've personally never gotten it to work correctly, though I'm reverse-engineering it (Along with bluestreak) in an effort to make my own as a part of HBT. You'll know on the blog when that gets anywhere. It shouldn't be long; .JMS exporters, from what I've gathered so far, are actually pretty simple.

As for animation importing and exporting...you're SOL. For now, at least. I've definitely got plans to reverse-engineer bluestreak's animation importer, but I've got a day job, and don't always have time to stare at code. I will definitely work harder on it if the demand for a blender-only, max-independent workflow increases.

Short answer: It's not viable, but it could be soon.
Edited by Fulsam on Jul 13, 2016 at 02:22 AM

S12Spark

Posted: Jul 13, 2016 02:29 PM    Msg. 28 of 28       
Sounds good I'd love to see it!

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon January 27, 2020 12:17 PM 1,110 ms.
A Halo Maps Website