A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[WIP] RefleX: The ultimate client side app for Halo

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: [WIP] RefleX: The ultimate client side app for Halo (43 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

sehe

ayy lmao

Posted: Jul 16, 2016 04:21 PM    Msg. 1 of 43       
Hi all,

Since it was long ago no one posted a project that will be never get finished (or started), I figured I'll share with mine.

The new project is called RefleX, which will be a combination of Sapp servers and a new client sided app that would replace HAC 2 and Anticheat.

It will be developed in cooperation with Btcc22 (unless he's being lazy as always).

A short list about the planned features:

Matchmaking system:

• To solve the bad server/player ratio, everyone with the new client will be able to wait in a global queue
  • Players will be matched against each other based on their rank
  • They can choose what gametype they want to play, and when enough players are in the queue, they will be automatically joined to a server selected by the matchmaker
  • These will be always ranked servers with Anticheat ON (see below)

A new site for player stats, just like HaloRank™ (RIP):

• You could track your activity in every Sapp server
  • There will be ranked servers too with Anticheat ON, that will count in global ranking (not only the matchmaker servers though)
  • Players will be identified by their accounts (probably using the existing Anticheat ones)

Existing features from HAC 2 and Anticheat:

• Anticheat (surprisingly)
  • Sightjacker
  • FoV change
  • The medals feature from HAC2 / Optic with new medals on Sapp servers (such as Headshot, Zombies, Weapon sprees, etc.)
  • Configurable replacement of the default Halo chat
  • Automatic map download, map cache and join queuing from HAC 2
  • Server bookmarks from HAC 2
  • HUD color changing, with the additional possibility to change it from server side per player/team
  • The missing features from HAC 2 that Btcc22 never implemented

New experimental stuff:

• An extended HUD to interact with players, for example, if you are an admin, you could select a player with your camera and message/kick/ban them
  • Other stuff for the HUD such as seeing your team mate's health, etc.
  • Admins would be able to place teleports on the map (they would show on player's HUD) that would teleport players to other servers (Why? Why not!)
  • ???
  • Perhaps some kind of object syncing (NO, no AI syncing, sorry) and acceleration syncing for players and vehicles

The list isn't complete and is subject to change.

If you have any other suggestions, let me know.

Planned release date: 2017. 01. 13. (Friday) or earlier.
Chance that it will meet the "deadline": 50%

The original post is on the Sapp forum:
http://halo.isimaginary.com/forum/thread-610.html

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jul 16, 2016 06:25 PM    Msg. 2 of 43       
Hűvös.

MEGA_VKNG

no.

Posted: Jul 16, 2016 07:02 PM    Msg. 3 of 43       
OS compatibility pls?

Lateksi

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 12:46 AM    Msg. 4 of 43       
Woah!

Kinnet

Don't feed the hand that bites you.

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 02:16 AM    Msg. 5 of 43       
bump

Fubih

Puddi Puddi

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 02:46 AM    Msg. 6 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: HyperSean
OS compatibility pls?

This.

sehe

ayy lmao

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 03:16 AM    Msg. 7 of 43       
Well, Sapp is not OS compatible, and never will be, so I'm not sure what would be the point, but I can make the client if it doesn't require too big workarounds.

1bobsam1

I win. You lose.

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 03:17 AM    Msg. 8 of 43       
Good luck.

TheHaloKnight

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 04:04 AM    Msg. 9 of 43       
Cool

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 11:14 AM    Msg. 10 of 43       
Cool.

mihirgates

https://youtube.com/mihirgates

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 12:15 PM    Msg. 11 of 43       
Kewl. :v

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 06:50 PM    Msg. 12 of 43       
I would like opensauce in mp for shaders, also so I don't have to switch them out (or have two installs).

Also, a visual system for mapvoting with images would be very cool!

Similar to this (Except server hosts should be allowed to put text under the maps for special gametypes and stuff):

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Jul 19, 2016 02:49 PM    Msg. 13 of 43       
Ayy lmao

But look up for Sparky's extended syncing mod, that could be helpful in your project

Docer

Posted: Jul 20, 2016 02:13 PM    Msg. 14 of 43       
So with this could be possible sync for example a jetpack?

killzone64

Too many hobbys not enough time

Posted: Jul 20, 2016 03:04 PM    Msg. 15 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: Docer

that stuff is still a problem with the base netcode of halo ce. it just was never built to handle that stuff. the only way we will get proper syncing is if we get a newer version of the blam engine to work with.

cippozzo

"I... I am a monument to all your sins."

Posted: Jul 20, 2016 03:10 PM    Msg. 16 of 43       
Halo online uses a html chromium based external app as server explorer etc.
Maybe something like that can be made with Halo CE as server explorer, map voting system and etc.

SorrySoldOuts

Posted: Jul 20, 2016 03:37 PM    Msg. 17 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: cippozzo
Maybe something like that can be made with Halo CE as server explorer, map voting system and etc.

Don't get me wrong. Halo online netcode tears halo ce netcode a new one in terms of which is the better game. If all you're looking for better netcode, support and multiplayer though then go with halo online.

I think CE looks better than Reach.
Maybe not "technically" (haven't counted the polygons), but halo ce did had problems for me, while halo online has vibrant colors. Also as killzome said halo ce's blam engine was pretty lackluster in terms of scale, and seemingly couldn't bungie couldnt afford to make halo ce netcode much better.
And try playing halo ce in your own server or with players, you'll notice sound sync is significally shortened (halo online sync has the same problem but anvil will fix that!); halo ce pc had the worst engine of any Halo game.

Still with CE I am disappointed at first as the AI sync will NEVER happen, and sehe knows this and without the source code it is hard. Would be cool if sehe joined up with anvil.

altis94

Posted: Jul 20, 2016 04:40 PM    Msg. 18 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: killzone64
Quote: --- Original message by: Docer

that stuff is still a problem with the base netcode of halo ce. it just was never built to handle that stuff. the only way we will get proper syncing is if we get a newer version of the blam engine to work with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDbLx74SMO4
But yeah, syncing velocities would allow stuff like jetpacks and Falcon strafing. 002 Already synced velocities so it is possible.

cippozzo

"I... I am a monument to all your sins."

Posted: Jul 20, 2016 07:02 PM    Msg. 19 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: SorrySoldOuts
Quote: --- Original message by: cippozzo

Don't get me wrong. Halo online netcode tears halo ce netcode a new one in terms of which is the better game. If all you're looking for better netcode, support and multiplayer though then go with halo online.

I think CE looks better than Reach.
Maybe not "technically" (haven't counted the polygons), but halo ce did had problems for me, while halo online has vibrant colors. Also as killzome said halo ce's blam engine was pretty lackluster in terms of scale, and seemingly couldn't bungie couldnt afford to make halo ce netcode much better.
And try playing halo ce in your own server or with players, you'll notice sound sync is significally shortened (halo online sync has the same problem but anvil will fix that!); halo ce pc had the worst engine of any Halo game.

Still with CE I am disappointed at first as the AI sync will NEVER happen, and sehe knows this and without the source code it is hard. Would be cool if sehe joined up with anvil.

Halo Online doesn't exist.
I only made an example on how would it be a UI with its ding dong dang things with HTML.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jul 21, 2016 02:58 AM    Msg. 20 of 43       
Stop talking about the game which must not be named!

mihirgates

https://youtube.com/mihirgates

Posted: Dec 30, 2016 01:41 PM    Msg. 21 of 43       
gib beta >:v

altis94

Posted: Dec 30, 2016 02:14 PM    Msg. 22 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: mihirgates
gib beta >:v

>:V

DeadHamster

Posted: Dec 30, 2016 04:12 PM    Msg. 23 of 43       
Can somebody explain why anytime someone makes something like this involving syncing it's not AI?

Is syncing the position and orientation of non-player bipeds that difficult? All that's needed is the pushing the biped's location and orientation from Host to Client. Everything else would be handled by host, you don't need to sync any of the actual AI. Just where it is and where it's facing.

Once that's synced proper, you duplicate the AI's weapon and there's a flag in the projectile, something like "Client Side Only". Done.

If it's more difficult than I seem to imagine can someone knowledgeable (002, sehe, btc22) please explain why?

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Dec 30, 2016 05:18 PM    Msg. 24 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Can somebody explain why anytime someone makes something like this involving syncing it's not AI?

Is syncing the position and orientation of non-player bipeds that difficult? All that's needed is the pushing the biped's location and orientation from Host to Client. Everything else would be handled by host, you don't need to sync any of the actual AI. Just where it is and where it's facing.

Once that's synced proper, you duplicate the AI's weapon and there's a flag in the projectile, something like "Client Side Only". Done.

If it's more difficult than I seem to imagine can someone knowledgeable (002, sehe, btc22) please explain why?

AI syncing isn't that hard actually, with some sick tricks it has already been done multiple times before.

It's just that it has some problems and it isn't really smooth because of the lack of velocity syncing. 002 made a system to sync velocity, but he never released it (Because he thought he never got enough praise for his other releases so he wouldn't release it -.-)

Posted: Dec 30, 2016 06:22 PM    Msg. 25 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
It's just that it has some problems and it isn't really smooth because of the lack of velocity syncing. 002 made a system to sync velocity, but he never released it (Because he thought he never got enough praise for his other releases so he wouldn't release it -.-)

I'd say maybe most of the stuff I release doesn't get very much praise, which really doesn't really bother me. I just enjoy seeing to what extent I can manipulate Halo. The problem is that it's probably just not worth it for me or for anyone, really.

First of all, I don't wait on you or anyone in this community, and you shouldn't have to feel like that, either. People like Btcc22 and sehe are far more capable than me at hacking Halo PC, at least the Windows version, because they have far more experience in doing so. I have a rather limited knowledge on the game, the engine, how it works, etc. The way I synced velocity was quickly thrown together and is pretty trashy, and the way I'd want it if I wanted to release it would require knowing how to do a lot more than what I already know. People need to stop overestimating me.

Second, no, I don't get anything out of this. I don't have a reason to do half the stuff I do. I mainly just do cool things and then I move on, and that's what makes me happy. There are numerous proof of concepts out there for stuff like syncing velocity and syncing AI, and I've left my own proof of concepts on the table as well for anyone to be inspired.

Third, few people would actually see a significant benefit from this. If this would fix anything, it only fixes one or two issues out of numerous, more important issues that should be focused on, instead.

tl;dr I'm not the person you should be asking for this stuff. Not only is it not worth my time, but it isn't worth anyone else's time, either.

Edited by 002 on Dec 30, 2016 at 06:27 PM

HeyPiRon

Posted: Dec 30, 2016 07:29 PM    Msg. 26 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: Fubih
Quote: --- Original message by: HyperSean
OS compatibility pls?

This.

^THIS!

DeadHamster

Posted: Dec 30, 2016 07:44 PM    Msg. 27 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
AI syncing isn't that hard actually, with some sick tricks it has already been done multiple times before.

Ive done it myself, probably cleaner than anyone else has. The smoothness is mostly to due with lagtime between attaching and detaching vehicles, not velocities.

I used the same method as kirby but on the PC engine, without the checksum comparison it allows you to run scripts on the host that dont exist on the client. So the server spawns everything and the clients get it pushed. It runs like 56k because its lagging twice but it works.

Which doesnt answer the question; why does everyone who knows the engine offsets well enough to make objects sync using an external app avoid syncing AI?

DOOM899

{DM} [gamesmaster] if i can ill help maybe

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 05:40 AM    Msg. 28 of 43       
needs OSv4 compatibility

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 11:36 AM    Msg. 29 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you need to know a lot more though then just position/orientation? It's an AI, so it acts on somewhat random circumstances... You need to know when its shooting too, crouching, dodging, etc. I think theres a lot more variables here that would need to be replicated between clients then just position, location and firing to get 'true AI'.

DeadHamster

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 12:20 PM    Msg. 30 of 43       
Projectiles already sync so I do know when it's shooting. Once the host's AI shoots their gun (as long as the Client Side Only bitmask is disabled in that weapon's projectile tag), the projectile will sync across the clients. This is already proven in the BLAMscript versions of AI syncing.

As per the AI acting random; it will. But so long as you're syncing it's location I'll always know where to shoot. Syncing animations as well would be lovely, that way I know when it dives and if a jackal was hiding behind it's shield. But we've been settling for far less as it is.

To get "True AI", you would need to sync the position of all non-player bipeds, the orientation of all non-player bipeds, and the current animation and current frame on all player bipeds. The engine already syncs the rest if it's tagged correctly. There will be standard network lag, maybe even some jumpiness if each client is running the AI.

But it doesn't need to be perfect; if it can do the same thing I can do in BLAMscript without having to be individually tailored to the mapfile it's a success.

But I digress, I don't want to keep flooding his topic with this. The app itself sounds incredible. Adding modern features always makes a game more enjoyable; matchmaking and custom lobbies would streamline the process of finding games which is one of the main deterrents to playing this game online.

Implementing the features of HAC sounds lovely as well. But please make sure the app doesn't crash without an internet connection. If you load HAC without a connection to the internet it crashes and doesn't allow you to play Halo. At least it used to, deleted it and never gave it a second chance.

TheMrJezza_

I like scarabs

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 07:10 PM    Msg. 31 of 43       
Matchmaking, Global Queues, Ranks.. Do I detect CS:GO

MEGA_VKNG

no.

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 07:13 PM    Msg. 32 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: TheMrJezza_

I demand skins and gloves in Halo CE.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 04:02 AM    Msg. 33 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGA_VKNG

Gloves?

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 06:35 AM    Msg. 34 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

Gloves?

*insert Jesse's unamazing thing here*

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 06:37 AM    Msg. 35 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

Gloves?

*insert Jesse's unamazing thing here*

What do you mean by gloves though? idgi....

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri September 22, 2017 9:39 AM 531 ms.
A Halo Maps Website