A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »New phantom BSP detection method

Author Topic: New phantom BSP detection method (27 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 04:49 PM    Msg. 1 of 27       
I made a weapon that can be used to detect phantom BSPs. All you have to do is run around the map while holding fire. It works a lot better if you remove all scenery, vehicles and weapons from the map (you can just make a copy of the scenario and remove stuff quickly in guerilla).
Edit: I totally forgot about command "object_destroy_all", you don't have to remove anything manually just enter that command ingame.

Preview video: https://youtu.be/govl-p1Co3o

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/zrgirforaspsixq/anti-phantom.rar

Phantom BSP found on carousel.

Let me know if there are any issues.
Edited by altis94 on Jul 18, 2016 at 06:11 AM
Edited by altis94 on Apr 8, 2017 at 06:02 AM

altis94

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 05:04 PM    Msg. 2 of 27       
Turn spooky phantom bsps into pink fluffy clouds!

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 05:11 PM    Msg. 3 of 27       
triggered

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 05:22 PM    Msg. 4 of 27       
This looks awsome! Can you tell us more about what you learned when making this? What material type do phantom bsps fall under?

altis94

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 05:27 PM    Msg. 5 of 27       
Phantom BSPs use the same material as the triangle of the BSP that caused it. The only thing I learned is that particles (just like any other object) can't be spawned inside the BSP and I used that to create this weapon (because particles can get spawned under phantom BSP).

EmmanuelCD

Using fox avatar since 1893

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 07:49 PM    Msg. 6 of 27       
Excellent, finaly I will be able to fix Hex Zone.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 10:29 PM    Msg. 7 of 27       
Looks cool and all, but what about big maps? Seems like just using the command to find them would be a lot easier in that case.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 04:04 AM    Msg. 8 of 27       
You can debug phantom bsp's in sapien altis.........

altis94

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 06:34 AM    Msg. 9 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
Looks cool and all, but what about big maps? Seems like just using the command to find them would be a lot easier in that case.

Yeah it's not efficient in large maps. Using the command is not exactly efficient either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

Oh wow, what else do I not know? Tell me more!

Super Flanker

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 06:39 AM    Msg. 10 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94

Sure, sure.

The guy who made bigass employed a feature which allows you to change your biped.

:O

XxPopeAK49xX

It's better being a jerk.

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 08:14 PM    Msg. 11 of 27       
10/10.

Great stuff altis. This is very useful.

MatthewDratt

Support Higuy https://t.co/9mIC7v3J5j

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 08:42 PM    Msg. 12 of 27       

You can also turn off gravity in sapien in the tool window and drag objects along their local axises.

Storm

Omega Is Dope

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 10:04 PM    Msg. 13 of 27       

You can teleport using the command "cheat_teleport_to_camera"

altis94

Posted: Jul 19, 2016 07:28 AM    Msg. 14 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt

You can also turn off gravity in sapien in the tool window and drag objects along their local axises.

You can move objects by holding shift/caps lock and arrow keys. You can rotate them by holding ctrl and arrow keys. And you can change the model of the pivot thing to be less annoying:

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: Jul 19, 2016 08:43 AM    Msg. 15 of 27       

You can move objects by holding shift/caps lock and arrow keys. You can rotate them by holding ctrl and arrow keys. And you can change the model of the pivot thing to be less annoying:

aLTis you're a pimp. Thanks

altis94

Posted: Jul 20, 2016 10:59 AM    Msg. 16 of 27       
Did you know that maximum fog density doesn't render anything that's completely fogged?

Super Flanker

Posted: Jul 20, 2016 11:11 AM    Msg. 17 of 27       
Did you know that maximum fog density doesn't render anything that's completely fogged?
http://puu.sh/q8cJy/fed0540d57.jpg

Altis has 99 problems and those bad unwraps in bigass ain't one.

altis94

Posted: Jul 20, 2016 11:16 AM    Msg. 18 of 27       
Turns out I'll have to reexport bigass day bsp so I could fix stuff while I'm at it.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jul 20, 2016 11:19 AM    Msg. 19 of 27       
Turns out I'll have to reexport bigass day bsp so I could fix stuff while I'm at it.

Oh my god he might actually listen to my suggestion for once.

Fix the trees too while you are at it.

EmmanuelCD

Using fox avatar since 1893

Posted: Jul 20, 2016 02:19 PM    Msg. 20 of 27       
http://puu.sh/q8cJy/fed0540d57.jpg

Is a method used by ancient consoles, like the N64,

For example there´s Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

stunt_man

Posted: Sep 24, 2016 12:18 PM    Msg. 21 of 27       
aLTis do you think there's a way to detect other geometry errors like surfaces where nades/projectiles go through? Can't remember if we talked about this. There's a couple spots in vanilla Halo PC Derelict that have those holes. There's a spot on the beach in No Remorse as well.

Super Flanker

Posted: Sep 24, 2016 12:33 PM    Msg. 22 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: stunt_man
aLTis do you think there's a way to detect other geometry errors like surfaces where nades/projectiles go through? Can't remember if we talked about this. There's a couple spots in vanilla Halo PC Derelict that have those holes. There's a spot on the beach in No Remorse as well.

Make a weapon which chain spawns grenades everytime a projectile is fired.

Set biped health to 50x and speed to 10x.

Run around your map and pay attention when something doesn't explode.

Aside from that usually acting upon all of the errors and warnings tool spews out and debugging your structure in sapien using "collision_debug_phantom_bsp 1" e.t.c should amend nearly all glitches.

altis94

Posted: Sep 25, 2016 06:39 AM    Msg. 23 of 27       

That would be harder to spot. The same weapon can be modified to create particles every time it hits a collision, then only places that don't have those particles would have collision errors. But that would probably be as effective as running around the map with infinite ammo and shooting everywhere, I can't think of a better way at the moment.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Sep 25, 2016 07:44 AM    Msg. 24 of 27       

Most of the time these holes are related to having two separately sealed elements that intersect in the bsp. When it is this type of situation tool outputs a warning. I know of a hole in highground that is not this situation, and currently have not found a solution to the problem. I'm guessing it may be from having extremely small triangles or triangles that are nearly linear. Has anyone experienced one of these holes that was being caused from something other than the first situation I explained?

stunt_man

Posted: Sep 25, 2016 11:59 AM    Msg. 25 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo

Most of the time these holes are related to having two separately sealed elements that intersect in the bsp. When it is this type of situation tool outputs a warning. I know of a hole in highground that is not this situation, and currently have not found a solution to the problem. I'm guessing it may be from having extremely small triangles or triangles that are nearly linear. Has anyone experienced one of these holes that was being caused from something other than the first situation I explained?

Yes in vanilla Halo PC Derelict, see:

http://www.halobugs.com/#?b=143

Occurs in Halo PC/CE and MCC.

I think they show a phantom BSP error in that bug as well, but look at the clips or rockets going through the wall/nades going through the floor. I used BSP Tag Converter (the good version) to rip it down to model format and look at the geometry. When recompiling Tool spits out some minor errors, which I fixed, but the holes remain. Only way I've been able to fix them is to chase them down and rebuild the faces. I don't see anything obviously wrong like overlapping surfaces or anything.

Sidenote: if you take the vanilla Derelict BSP and play it on PC, the aforementioned phantom BSP makes it ingame. However, if you take the very same BSP and convert it to Xbox using Arsenic, the phantom BSP isn't in-game. But the holes are. Vertex data stored differently (compressed/uncompressed) for Xbox.

altis94

Posted: Apr 8, 2017 06:04 AM    Msg. 26 of 27       
Updated the dead link. Also included anti-no-collision weapon thing which does the opposite of what anti-phantom weapon does. It paints everything except for things on bsp that don't have collision, probably not a very useful thing to use but hey, here you go ;D

LittleRain

Being Passionate is a Blessing but mostly a Curse

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 01:35 AM    Msg. 27 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy

Yeah it's not efficient in large maps. Using the command is not exactly efficient either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can type commands in to lock your camera to the AI or empty biped, and type commands to tell them to walk or look in a direction.

Then once you find out the parameters and commands you need, put them in a script for a cutscene and blam.

Edit: I just read in that other thread about recorded animations. Did someone actually fix record animations in sapien now? Or do you do it in halo or something?
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 10, 2017 at 02:40 AM
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 10, 2017 at 10:01 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri August 18, 2017 2:12 PM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website