A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Blender and Halo

Author Topic: Blender and Halo (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

thechayed

Posted: Jul 30, 2016 10:16 AM    Msg. 1 of 5       
[EDIT] I may have actually just found a working exporter for Blender.

Hey everyone! I just started working on a Halo CE map, which is a bit of a recreation of a map I've made previously in the newer Forge.

I've been trying to get Blender to work for this. I don't have the money to spend on 3DS Max, and frankly, it's not worth it anymore. Blender not only performs better, but it's much more intuitive.

Anyways, right now I can export to .map files, but the .map files that are exported are initially for Quake. This shouldn't be too big of a deal though, because the information is used in basically the same way (if not exactly the same way) in both games. But when I import into HEK it throws an error that it's not a proper map file, so I'm wandering, is there any tools that can turn a Quake map into a Halo map?
Edited by thechayed on Jul 30, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jul 30, 2016 11:00 AM    Msg. 2 of 5       
Quote: --- Original message by: thechayed

Anyways, right now I can export to .map files, but the .map files that are exported are initially for Quake. This shouldn't be too big of a deal though, because the information is used in basically the same way (if not exactly the same way) in both games. But when I import into HEK it throws an error that it's not a proper map file, so I'm wandering, is there any tools that can turn a Quake map into a Halo map?
Edited by thechayed on Jul 30, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Hmm no, sorry but the only way to get a quake level into halo would be to rip the BSP, import it into max, make a few necessary adjustments to make it acceptable to tool and well you can go from there.

Student licenses exist for a reason btw.

S12Spark

Posted: Jul 31, 2016 10:40 PM    Msg. 3 of 5       
I believe he meant he exported the map to a .map file, which is used in quake, but also in halo, however they are not interchangeable. You have to export the model as a .jms and use tool to compile it. I would recommend reading the official HEK tutorial, and other tutorials around halomaps for an idea on how to create a map.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Aug 1, 2016 12:56 PM    Msg. 4 of 5       
Quote: --- Original message by: S12Spark
I believe he meant he exported the map to a .map file, which is used in quake, but also in halo, however they are not interchangeable. You have to export the model as a .jms and use tool to compile it. I would recommend reading the official HEK tutorial, and other tutorials around halomaps for an idea on how to create a map.

That is what I said.

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Aug 2, 2016 05:04 AM    Msg. 5 of 5       
damn that's spicy

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun August 25, 2019 6:11 AM 156 ms.
A Halo Maps Website