A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Brutal Halo (An ideas thread that will probably end up in a flame war)

Author Topic: Brutal Halo (An ideas thread that will probably end up in a flame war) (21 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

gabrieloup

Posted: Aug 3, 2016 01:44 PM    Msg. 1 of 21       
So, almost a year has passed after that lame first concept idea. Cool! Time flies and people mature. So, I have some new ideas instead. What if Halo was as hard as Dark Souls? What if Halo had gameplay elements of F.E.A.R (Japanese Horror mixed with 'Murican Hollywood Action complete with Michael Bay explosions and Matrix slow motion) and Brutal Doom (Decapitation, kicking, slaughtering the Covenant with better weapons and smarter allies)? That's where Brutal Halo comes in

-Let me make this clear : NO CHANGES IN VISUALS OR BITMAPS OR ANYTHING. The mod ONLY changes gameplay aspects and minor visual aspects. This is not SPV3 or SOI's Singleplayer Adventure. If you want graphics, play those with OpenSauce or just get Halo Anniversary/Halo MCC and LEAVE THIS THREAD! If you want better gameplay, stay here and read more.

-There's no more Easy, Normal or Heroic difficulties. That's gone. All difficulties have the same stats as Legendary as before, if not worse (harder). Difficulties would be named Noble, Legendary, Mythic and Spartan. The only difference between Spartan and lower difficulties is what types of enemies you'll find and how many. You're just picking your poison.

-With the above being said, the mod would actually include it's own UI, complete with metal Halo music renditions. The UI would be almost the same as the original Halo's UI, except that there's decapitated bodies and blood and gore all over in space (like Quake 4's intro), and feature new map pictures and shenanigans.

-Grunts, Elites and Jackals can be dismembered, just like the Flood. However, it's not complete decapitation because of script errors and some unrealistic problems that can be caused as well because of how the Halo engine works. Mostly it's going to be both arms and one leg. Because, otherwise, you'd be able to shoot off an Elite's head clean off and he'd still run at you with no problems, or shoot off both legs of a Grunt and he being able to "float" around, still shooting at you. And if the engine allows it, Grunt methane tanks would also be destroyable. This feature would allow you to "disarm" (hah, no pun intended) enemies, in such a way that you can remove their weapons without killing them. Pacifist Halo players, your dream has come true.

-All Marines are replaced with Spartans. They share the same abilities than you, and they actually act just like you. For the first time in the Halo series, you'll actually enjoy the company of competent friendlies, rather than headless bots that you would usually use as bait, or kill them for fun and for their weapons. Their AI is ridiculously enhanced and they all play like MLG pros.

-Each difficulty affects what enemies spawn in the map. Each difficulty only spawns ONE class of Covenant per species. Which means, if you pick the Spartan difficulty, ALL ELITES are Sworded Stealth Elites, ALL GRUNTS are Spec Ops Grunts and ALL Jackals are Major Jackals.

-You can pick 3 weapons at a time. A multi-million combat cyborg of the pinnacle of human technology should be able to carry more than just one pistol and one plasma pistol at at time. A real human can hold AT LEAST 50 pounds of equipment. This also makes the gameplay faster and more interesting, while still balancing everything.

-The Needler is removed completely. Not because it makes the game harder, it makes the game easier. Not to mention that I want to stick to my mentality that all Covenant weapons SHOULD NOT be reloadable.

-All weapons that use batteries can overcharge quicker and cooldown times are doubled. All reloads also take double the amount of time to reload.

-When pressing the flashlight button, the game goes into slow motion. Pressing it again turns the speed back to normal. If that doesn't work because of some engine limitation, then make Chief run faster for a short period of time each time you press the flashlight key button, and then have it do a recharge sequence so the speed boost is used again. The latter wouldn't be sprinting since it would actually drop a speed powerup which would make the player move faster in ANY direction and maybe even jump higher, like an adrenaline injection.

-Assault Rifle is replaced by an enhanced version of itself, capable of shooting the same bullets as the Magnum and even capable of having a zoom mode. It holds 40 bullets. However, it's only capable of burst firing and it's accuracy is extremely poor at anything past 100 meters. Think of it like a 40 bullet pistol with an Assault Rifle skin. The reticle of the enhanced Assault Rifle is the Pistol's reticle. Only capable of 2x Zoom and has the same accuracy as the Pistol. It is powerful and it fits it's role of "Assault Rifle" in a way the original would NEVER compare to, but it still doesn't dethrone the Sniper Rifle in accuracy and nor does it make the Shotgun irrelevant at CQB.

-Pistol is gone. All instances of the Pistol are replaced with the Shotgun. That means, every character who wielded a Pistol now wears a Shotgun. Every place you'd pickup a Pistol or Pistol Ammo are replaced with a Shotgun and Shotgun Ammo. It has some better accuracy (actually able to hit the side of a barn at 50 meters). For the sake of it, the Shotgun's reticle is replaced with the Assault Rifle Reticle. Because who doesn't love some minor changes.

-Which means, the Flamethrower and Fuel Cans replace every instance of the Shotgun. That is, you'll find it as soon as you head in the 343 Guilty Spark level. Kill the Flood with fire. KILL IT WITH FIYA, TRUE FIYA POWA! The way it's used is completely unchanged from Halo PC's multiplayer. It uses the Shotgun Reticle, as usual.

-The Sniper Rifle holds 6 bullets per clip instead of 4. No additional changes.

-The Rocket Launcher is, erm, cool enough bro. No need for changes here, except that maybe the Rocket should fly a bit faster I guess? -The Plasma Pistol is reimagined from it's Halo Beta counterpart. It works like the Plasma Rifle, except that it shoots Plasma Pistol rounds. Which means, it's Charge function is gone and it's an automatic weapon. All Elites love this. If playing on Spartan (due that ALL elites being replaced as Sword wielding ones), all Flood Elites use this instead.

-The Plasma Rifle is the Covenant's idea (and bad joke) of a DMR mixed with a Spartan Laser shooting Plasma Rifle rounds. It works just like the Plasma Pistol in all Halo games, so now it's a single-shot weapon with a Charge function, the latter working just like the Plasma Pistol with no changes on that. It's also zoomable, and in fact, uses the same zoom function as the Sniper Rifle. Incredible accuracy. All Jackals use this.

-The Fuel Rod Gun can be dropped and used by the player. Does not use a zoom mode and works just like in Halo PC's multiplayer. All Grunts use this. Yeah, now you'll learn to FEAR GRUNTS.

-All Warthogs are replaced with Rocket Warthogs from Halo PC's Multiplayer.

-The Banshee could actually use some tweaks in such that it actually feels like an aircraft rather than a flying car. It should fly faster, hit harder and have more accuracy. No other changes.

-The Ghost should be even faster than in the original game. As a matter of fact, I think it should be as fast as Sonic. It should empower the player when using it, rather than making the player feel as if it's wearing ice skates with twin guns attached to them. Also, it should fire Needler rounds instead of Plasma rounds.

-The Covenant turrets (I forgot their name) should fire Charged Plasma Pistol rounds each time the trigger is held.

-No other changes for every other vehicle, which means the Scorpion works just like it did in the original game. -Music is frequently changed with fan remixes. Metal and rock remixes, first and foremost.

-All sounds are changed with Halo 2, 3, ODST and Reach equivalents. Halo 3 footstep sounds, Halo Reach gun sounds, Halo too enemy sounds (Covenant speak master English), Halo 3 ODST misc sounds (having low health makes Chief breathe in and out heavily as if he's about to have a heart attack) and Halo too for everything else missing.

-No other further changes to the entire game apart from these ones.
Edited by gabrieloup on Aug 3, 2016 at 01:50 PM
Edited by gabrieloup on Aug 3, 2016 at 01:54 PM

Docer

Posted: Aug 3, 2016 06:54 PM    Msg. 2 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: HyperAlex

None of this is feasible inside the vanilla Halo engine.
Edited by HyperAlex on Aug 3, 2016 at 02:01 PM
Edited by HyperAlex on Aug 3, 2016 at 03:34 PM

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Aug 3, 2016 10:11 PM    Msg. 3 of 21       
Someones already made this thread (The natural assumption is that you've made it before in the past), but whatever.
Quote: --- Original message by: gabrieloup
-Grunts, Elites and Jackals can be dismembered, just like the Flood. However, it's not complete decapitation because of script errors and some unrealistic problems that can be caused as well because of how the Halo engine works. Mostly it's going to be both arms and one leg. Because, otherwise, you'd be able to shoot off an Elite's head clean off and he'd still run at you with no problems, or shoot off both legs of a Grunt and he being able to "float" around, still shooting at you. And if the engine allows it, Grunt methane tanks would also be destroyable. This feature would allow you to "disarm" (hah, no pun intended) enemies, in such a way that you can remove their weapons without killing them. Pacifist Halo players, your dream has come true.

Why can't you have their heads destroyable? I've never tried it, but there is an exact flag to deal with this sort of stuff; "forces object to die" to kill things when the region is destroyed. While I've never checked whether its been implemented, the logical conclusion is it is, since bungie would have likely remove it if it wasnt.

-You can pick 3 weapons at a time. A multi-million combat cyborg of the pinnacle of human technology should be able to carry more than just one pistol and one plasma pistol at at time. A real human can hold AT LEAST 50 pounds of equipment. This also makes the gameplay faster and more interesting, while still balancing everything.

Just start them with 3 weapons (you can only pickup a third weapon when its got flags to force pickup, but if you already have 3 or more regular weapons, you can freely swap them. Even if you give them some fake unarmed weapon for the third slot so they can grab a third)

-When pressing the flashlight button, the game goes into slow motion. Pressing it again turns the speed back to normal. If that doesn't work because of some engine limitation, then make Chief run faster for a short period of time each time you press the flashlight key button, and then have it do a recharge sequence so the speed boost is used again. The latter wouldn't be sprinting since it would actually drop a speed powerup which would make the player move faster in ANY direction and maybe even jump higher, like an adrenaline injection.

(game_speed <real>)

The rest of your things are basic tag edits. I don't see why you needed a thread, since you don't seem to be asking questions. Before making a thread, you should have some kind of progress (or questions). And, regardless of what other peoples feedback is, you should do what you want, for your own personal enjoyment (If the feedback is something you want, add it, if it doesn't match your vision, then let them build their own thing that matches their vision); chances are, people aren't going to be overly interested, so you shouldn't be going out there trying to pander to others, you should do what you want to play, and spend as much time as you want to.

ScarFOx

This twisted game needs to be reset - Pixy 1995

Posted: Aug 3, 2016 11:18 PM    Msg. 4 of 21       
Damn I was gonna do something like this but a little bit more realistic :\

cippozzo

"I... I am a monument to all your sins."

Posted: Aug 4, 2016 05:59 AM    Msg. 5 of 21       
Need some heavy metallized soundtrack.
TTAAAAAN TITTIRITTITTIU

Nickster5000

Posted: Aug 4, 2016 06:54 AM    Msg. 6 of 21       

I knew this was false, and kirby proves that he is a legend once again.

gabrieloup

Posted: Aug 4, 2016 07:11 PM    Msg. 7 of 21       

Really? SOI is here to prove you wrong.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Aug 4, 2016 07:44 PM    Msg. 8 of 21       
Now I'm no eye doctor but I don't see any soi's around here.

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Aug 5, 2016 10:04 AM    Msg. 9 of 21       
Only Kirby should be allowed to say what is and what isn't possible in the halo CE engine...

Super Flanker

Posted: Aug 5, 2016 10:11 AM    Msg. 10 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
Only Kirby should be allowed to say what is and what isn't possible in the halo CE engine...

Kirby isn't available all of the time though....

cippozzo

"I... I am a monument to all your sins."

Posted: Aug 5, 2016 10:34 AM    Msg. 11 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: mannypetty
Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer

7/10 times he's right. He offered me a few false assurances with High Ground that never panned out and ultimately backed me into a corner where I'm now dealing with the possibility of having to re-plan many major aspects of the project. :(

How you dare? You're accusing Lord Kirby. What a heresy.

Edited by cippozzo on Aug 5, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Aug 5, 2016 04:34 PM    Msg. 12 of 21       
How you dare? Asking forgiveness from lord kirby after sinning against him!.

What a heresy.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Aug 5, 2016 09:07 PM    Msg. 13 of 21       
Cool, so when are you going to begin work on this

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Aug 5, 2016 09:28 PM    Msg. 14 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjZiPonGCJs

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Aug 5, 2016 09:38 PM    Msg. 15 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch

Hush you, let's see if he speaks

Mangenkyo

Yep!.. i know i'm in Space..

Posted: Aug 6, 2016 07:38 PM    Msg. 16 of 21       
Quote: you'd be able to shoot off an Elite's head clean off and he'd still run at you with no problems

i like that, it would make me laugh/scare the **** out of me. depends of the situation.

Halonimator

https://imgur.com/ZBjOJ4L

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 01:35 AM    Msg. 17 of 21       
i found the perfect game for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spyGKllf5j0

The engine its capable of more than you think, amateur kid. Its more friendly user and profesional than most game engines out there... also you can reuse most assets.

Example of an old game made with this engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2R8NZJQciM

Edited by Halonimator on Aug 7, 2016 at 01:44 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 05:35 PM    Msg. 18 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator
amateur kid.

> Implying you are any better

gabrieloup

Posted: Aug 8, 2016 11:12 AM    Msg. 19 of 21       

I didn't make this thread so that I could magically just summon a team of expert coders from hell to make the greatest mod ever made. I just made this so that I could MAYBE get up my arse and then start doing something and give myself a reason to. If people like the idea then I could start working on this myself, and THEN ask for help when I've got something proper to show. I'm either going to start on making a Brutal Halo mod, or else a Halo movie using the original engine as a cutscene factory, spam Reach tags and add Halo 2 and 3 plot elements to it while still maintaining the Halo 1 story structure. No "The Ark", no sequels, nothing like that. Just one film centered on the Halo structure as if it were the only structure ever made, and then it's finished. And that would still take some time to work out.

Super Flanker

Posted: Aug 8, 2016 11:26 AM    Msg. 20 of 21       
I just made this so that I could MAYBE get up my arse and then start doing something and give myself a reason to.

Ah reverse physcology!

My favourite subject.....apart from gynaecology. <3

Hey Flanker! You suck at everything you do and your obessions with fem private body parts is extremely repulsive and concerning.

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Aug 8, 2016 05:58 PM    Msg. 21 of 21       

I didn't make this thread so that I could magically just summon a team of expert coders from hell to make the greatest mod ever made. I just made this so that I could MAYBE get up my arse and then start doing something and give myself a reason to. If people like the idea then I could start working on this myself, and THEN ask for help when I've got something proper to show. I'm either going to start on making a Brutal Halo mod, or else a Halo movie using the original engine as a cutscene factory, spam Reach tags and add Halo 2 and 3 plot elements to it while still maintaining the Halo 1 story structure. No "The Ark", no sequels, nothing like that. Just one film centered on the Halo structure as if it were the only structure ever made, and then it's finished. And that would still take some time to work out.

What is: tolerable syntax?

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon September 23, 2019 3:15 PM 422 ms.
A Halo Maps Website